[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
FORUM POST FROM KIP KATSARELIS, SENIOR PRODUCER, SIMCITY  XML
SimCity  > Official Announcements

Must have worked. Got straight in no problem today.

EA made so many blatant mistakes it is hard to decide which one was a bigger failure. Here is my list of all the failures that should never have happened and options that should have been put in the game.

1.They started with 4 US servers. It is asinine to think 4 servers would handle the stress that 500,000 preorders would put on them. I wouldn't think that you should have more than 10,000 people on each server considering the huge amount of data that has to constantly be saved since time spent playing this type of game is so important.
2. They seemed to have forgotten that most people buy games the day they come out. 4 servers?...Really?
3. EA did not allow downloading and prestaging of game before the release. The stress added by people trying to download the game was bound to cause issues.
4. The game was not created with offline mode.
5. The game does not have the ability to save game yourself. You must rely on servers to save your information. Does anyone even know how often the servers save your city?
6. You can't remove abandoned cities from your region. In private regions the creator should have the option to remove someone in case they are no longer playing. In public regions everyone in the region should be able to vote for a kick in case someone has cities all over and stops playing that city. This would open the city up for someone else.
7. Why put a 20 minute timer on before trying to reconnect? Why would you think it is acceptable to wait 20 minutes for a reconnect try? A queue would be acceptable but not this.
8. Moderators talk to us like we are imbeciles. Don't address us as fans and say we didn't expect this. Talk to us like gamers. Tell us how moronic and idiotic the company was for not having nearly enough servers. Tell us you are about to add 20 servers right now to see if they can handle the load instead of 1 or 2 at a time. Don't tell us we had no idea people really wanted to play this game and would want to download and play right away. Don't tell us that you didn't expect people to want to play for many hours. Never condescend us gamers and say that people loved playing so much that they didnt want to get offline so others could play.

Cool Story Bro

payday $500 was made this hour

i played for an hour on release day then got kicked off because of server instability.

upgrade dirt roads to roads (sc4 quality not zone specific)
cost $100

I'd like to know why I am now seeing 6 friggin' Europe servers and still just 4 U.S.? SERIOUSLY? They are building up the UK before they do the much larger US market?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/07/2013 18:44:30

[quote=Bevypooh]What we saw was that players were having such a good time they didn't want to leave the game, which kept our servers packed and made it difficult for new players to join.[/quote]

You do understand this is SimCity right? This is a game people like to leave running for days at a time once their city is set up.

Not to mention it takes 4-6 hours to get a city rolling and get a feel for the game, even at high runspeed (which you disabled).

I appreciate developers and the hard work they do, but sometimes comments like this make me wonder if you even understand how people play the game you're trying to make.

Oh how I love a cliche corporate response.

3 days... when this kind of * happen in a serious company... you are F I R E D!

And since you sell a thing, you don't have 'fan' but CUSTOMER!

Hmmm, maybe if there was an offline option on this game, you would need to upgrade all these servers.

LMAO just looked at the box its rated e10+ but then right next to it it says you must be 13+ to play wow way to fail even more

Stop calling us f--king fans... We're your customers g-d d-mnit

simply, I just wanna play it whenever i want....

This is a primary reason why I decided to hold off on buying the game right away, even though ever fiber in my body told me otherwise.

I'm pretty sad to hear about all the problems that people are having, and I have to question the people at EA and those behind the development of SimCity in their decision at launch to not make sure that there were more than plenty available servers to accommodate for the hundreds of thousands of people aiming to begin game-play immediately. And with international launch looming, I have to wonder how long it will take before things stabilize.

That will probably be when I pay the money to buy it myself.

I love SimCity, and I always will. EA has given me tons of video game content for the last decade and I'm not going to let one game launch affect my opinion. A huge mis-step, yes. Hopefully this is something that everyone will learn from moving forward.

I understand everyone's desire to jump on everyone and create mass chaos and threaten mass exodus with the server problems, and I can understand your sentiments. And even though there was more than one Beta run of this, you have to understand as well that there is no true simulation of a million people all logging in at the same time to a server. Even if there was 200 plus servers, it's still likely we would have faced the same issues. There's just no way to simulate this until it happens. That's life. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Should there be an offline mode option? Yes, I feel there should be. (And to my knowledge, per the Maxis Live Broadcasts and every other thing I've seen, they talked about there being an offline mode available. Why that's not in the final product, I don't know.) I don't feel like you should HAVE to log into a server to play a game. What about if you want to play on a 14-hour flight and don't want to pay for wi-fi? What happens if you lose internet at home for a day or two? Having to solely rely on an internet connection and having to participate in online play to me makes zero sense in terms of marketability and the bringing in of users. If anything, it may turn people away.

Case in point, I hope the server issues are solved soon. SimCity is a great game (I was fortunate enough to participate in the 1st Beta, missed out on the second). I love it. But these issues are going to deter people from wanting to spend money on a great product, which in the end will cost more.

I hope that moving forward everyone learns from this experience, so that the best game possible can be brought to us, the customer/gamer/fan if you will.

Played today and noticed the missions weren't working. The ones you get from the people. Don't know if you shut this off too. Also server kept going down but it seems to be a common problem now. Hope it all gets fixed.

This is nothing personal - I'm sure you guys are passionate about games and I do believe you're genuinely worried about disappointing the fans, but you've bungled badly and have only been digging a deeper hole since then. As such, I think you deserve every 1 star and downrating you get because I sincerely hope everyone involved gets their clocks cleaned.

You're doing your best to mop up a mess, but recognize it's a mess YOU created. Yet instead of owning up to it, you give us these lame "[i]sorry we crashed; too many people were enjoying the game[/i]" excuses. It's infuriating. It's not somehow the users' fault they liked the game too much and kept playing long after you figured they would stop. It's SimCity. I've been playing since 1993. Societies was a joke; we've been anticipating this thing for 9 years. I bought a copy the minute Best Buy opened so I could install it while at work and play when I got home... little did I know I actually bought a $60 pre-order.

Most of us aren't childish. After all, server issues aren't unheard of at release. I remember GTA4's PSN multiplayer servers being largely inaccessible that first week, but it wasn't a big deal. We didn't run to Amazon to trash-talk the game because we were too busy [u][b]playing single player[/b][/u]... how about that!

You're doing "everything you can" except listening. The release revealed a plethora of issues with this "always-online" approach -- issues we've had from the start -- issues that you've repeatedly dismissed. I'm almost glad this happened now, if it would possibly make developers second-guess any brilliant "always-online" ideas for predominantly single-player games in the future. It's just a shame it had to be at the expense of the beloved franchise that got me into videogames to begin with.

At the end of the day I don't care about how hard you've worked or how many people are enjoying the game or what hare-brained draconian DRM measures you think you need to implement to combat piracy. You keep this nonsense up, and you'll have one less person to worry about trying to steal your game.

Give me my single-player sandbox back, or give me my money back.
SimCity  > Official Announcements
Go to: