[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Origin EULA allows tracking of non-EA data  XML
Origin  > Ideas and Suggestions

Why is EA making me choose between playing games I want and not giving strangers legal access to my personal stuff.. Fix the wording in your EULA to limit what you can do EA.

After carefully reading the full text of the Origin EULA and the EA Privacy Policy, I can only come to one conclusion. Those of you all up in arms over this clearly did not fully read and comprehend the text. At no point did they purport to be collecting data unrelated to EA software. Collecting information about the installed programs and your hardware configuration is, in my humble opinion, not particularly invasive.

They make it quite clear that data collected will not be shared with third parties, but will be utilized for the purpose of marketing to you in the future and providing product updates.

It is also clearly stated in the Privacy Policy:

EA will never share your personal information with third parties without your consent. We may, however, share anonymous, non-personal, aggregated and/or public information with third parties.

Based on some of these reactions you'd think there was an Immortal Soul Clause in there somewhere as well.

For me all they have to do is put in some lines that limit there data collection to Origin, my OS, and my hardware. They don't need to have access to anything else on my computer.

Forum Admin
[Avatar]

Here's the updated EULA: http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas

If you have any further questions, please post them here.

EA_AgentX

Visit us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/EA-Customer-Support/48228353146
Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/AskEASupport

Have some info to help other gamers? Want to be a Hero? http://answers.ea.com
[WWW]

Thanks Agent_X, that looks like a great step in the right direction.

Thankyou for posting the link.

Wording looks little different at a glance, but it's too late where I am to really read it.
Will check it out tommorrow.

All the same, thanks for being attentive regarding this.

This signature has been Hidden by a Moderator

New EULA:
"In addition to information that you give EA directly, EA collects nonpersonally identifiable (or anonymous) information for purposes of improving our
products and services, providing services to you, facilitating the provision of
software updates, dynamically served content and product support as well as
communicating with you. The non-personally identifiable information that EA
collects includes technical and related information that identifies your computer
(including the Internet Protocol Address) and operating system, as well as
information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful
installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware.
As noted above, this information is gathered periodically for purposes such as
improving our products and services, troubleshooting bugs, and otherwise
enhancing your user experience. "

I don't like that EA want's to track my software and software usage - that's spyware!!!
Please limit that to EA software only, or I will not use Origin.

EA, you have changed words but the meaning is basically the same. I don't think that knowledge about my programs or web sites I visit would improve your games in any way. I'm still not installing it again. Hardware check - fine, your products - fine, game related software like OS, drivers etc - fine but the fact that I use AutoCAd won't help you make BF any better.

bloodhawk81 wrote: [EULA snipped]
I don't like that EA want's to track my software and software usage - that's spyware!!!

I have to second this comment. The EULA must clearly state that any data collection done by Origin pertains SOLELY to EA's products. It's this vague and apparently system-wide data collection that has awakened people's privacy concerns.

New EULA:
"In addition to information that you give EA directly, EA collects nonpersonally identifiable (or anonymous) information for purposes of improving our
products and services, providing services to you, facilitating the provision of
software updates, dynamically served content and product support as well as
communicating with you. The non-personally identifiable information that EA
collects includes technical and related information that identifies your computer
(including the Internet Protocol Address) and operating system, as well as
information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful
installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware.
As noted above, this information is gathered periodically for purposes such as
improving our products and services, troubleshooting bugs, and otherwise
enhancing your user experience. "

Same herer I have deinstalled my Origin today, and when this points will not be changed i wont buy BF3 or any EA game in the future.

I think its a new way of battle piracy.

DeliCiousTZM wrote:I think its a new way of battle piracy.

then you think wrong. It's a common way of gather & sell information.

EA_AgentX wrote:Here's the updated EULA: http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas

If you have any further questions, please post them here.

EA_AgentX

As I already said in a different thread, the updated EULA still doesn't clarify why you have to have access to software not related to Origin and the games installed through or registered to Origin. For all we know, you could scan for confidential data or what games of your competitors we play. Claiming to not install spyware is worthless, when a) no definition of spyware is given by you and b) what you describe to do (scan software and its usage) is more or less the definition of spyware.

Its really sad beacuz alot of ppl is not gonna buy futher EA games beacuz of this *.. make an button that turns it off and you will get alot more ppl buying ur games..

Whats the sense of tracking what we are using? The only possible reason is to sold this knowledge to some kind of company. But we paid for the games why do you have to make profit out of our consumer behavior
Origin  > Ideas and Suggestions
Go to: