[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
More conference realignment!  XML
NCAA Football Series  > NCAA® Football College Football Talk

[Avatar]

Stanimal032 wrote:
auburnpacker wrote:What I do not get is why the SEC would not expand to 16 with the others. If they were to, I would think the possible candidates are: Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, West Virginia, Miami(FL), Louisville, possibly USF. Opinions on each?

I'd say all of those are viable options. I'd say the SEC should see if they could get Va Tech as they would be a good addition. Someone was talking about it on the radio yesterday and made a good point. Florida's big selling point against Florida State is "Do you want to play football in the SEC or the ACC?" It would make sense that Florida would not want to give up that exclusivity to their in-state rivals
florida would straight up reject any attempt by florida state and miami to join the sec. south carolina would also probably reject any attempt by clemson. not sure on the relationship georgia and georgia tech have with each other, but since the acc is bringing in pitt and syracuse, i'd imagine g-tech stays. usf probably goes acc, as does louisville (mostly for basketball appeal).

rumor has it that late tonight west virginia filed the paperwork to join the sec. not a smart move by them, imo.

[Avatar]

Oklahoma and Texas are legally allowed to pursue new conferences, OU and more than likely OK State to Pac-12, Texas is still unsure in talks with the Pac-12, I think their ACC "talks" was just to put pressure on Larry Scott. Uconn is chatting with the ACC, Rutgers has one of the best positions, as their academic standings and the all-important NYC/NJ market will bring suitors. West Virginia apparently is a #2 to Mizzou in SEC's 14th. The last of the Big XII and Big East are talking merger as well, would make one ugly conference. I feel bad for K-State and TCU, especially since of the remaining teams NOT in talks, they are the best, but are lumped in a bad situation.

Predicting that the Big Four head west, West Virginia gets enticed by the SEC, but choose Mizzou, so they lobby as 15th, bringing TCU possibly into the equation. I really doubt the two prey conferences will combine, so the ACC will take the two fit teams (Uconn and South Florida), Rutgers gets accepted in the Big Ten, Louisville and Cincy forced to rot in bad conferences, probably MAC for Cincy, C-USA for Louisville. Since Big Ten has 13, there's three sort of prime teams from Big XII land in Kansas, K-State, and to keep the Cy-Hawk Trophy worthwhile, Iowa State. Leaves lol-worthy Baylor for C-USA, so they suffer a beatdown from long lost cousins Houston and the real comeback team, SMU.

Doubt it will turn out like that, but it would fit fairly nice. Maybe switch Iowa State with the ignorant Notre Dame, but its unpredictable regarding the future.

[Avatar]

Unpredictable is the word of the week. Pac-12 says they are stopping expansion plans for this year, no OU, Texas, Ok State, or Tex Tech. And apparently, OU and Texas want to stay together in the Big XII for 5 years. (the remaining time on tv deal) And to further complicate everything, Missouri is undecided, A&M doesn't know if equality will be reached, and Baylor doesnt know if OU is going or not. What is certain is that the Big XII are chasing 3 programs to join...TCU, Air Force, and BYU. BYU said that if offered, they will accept, Air Force has a decision, as they are being offered by the Big East too, and TCU isnt confident on their current status. Speaking of the Big East, they are chasing Navy and the aforementioned Air Force, while super gem UCF sleeps in the C-USA, and East Carolina applies for entrance to a bigger conference yet again. Uconn still wants to leave, Rutgers is fielding praise to jump ship to the Big Ten, and West Virginia was rejected by both the ACC and SEC. SEC says they will stick with 13, but I'm not sure they aren't bluffing again.

To sum it up..
Pac-12: same
Big XII: Keep OU and Texas, keep Ok State and TTU, can possibly (but unlikely) lose Missouri, So-so with A&M, chasing BYU, AFA, and TCU.
ACC: Reject WV, stable at 14.
SEC: Reject WV, don't say no to Mizzou yet, staying temporarily at 13.
Big East: Rutgers, Uconn, and WV still looking, TCU unsure, chasing Navy and AFA, keeping eye (kinda) on UCF, receives umteenth application from ECU. Looking like the first casualty of conference re-alignment every day.
C-USA and Mountain West: Talking MERGER for football-only, probably would be forced to dump some schools (Rice, UTEP, UAB, Wyoming, UNLV) That would be a huge earthquake, making "Mountain USA" with teams like Houston, UCF, ECU, SMU, Boise, Nevada, Hawaii, Fresno. Definitely a growing power if it goes through.
Sun Belt and MAC: Wut??
NCAA Football Series  > NCAA® Football College Football Talk
Go to: