[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Career: The Difficulty jump is ridiculous (Fix it)  XML
Grand Slam Tennis  > Grand Slam Tennis General Discussion

Oh, my god, I can't believe it, all you guys on here saying about the difficulty jump in Career mode are 100% spot on!

I just started my third season after being undefeated in my first two seasons and twice winning all 4 Grand Slam Events in the first two years, now I can hardly win a match, no matter who it's against, it's just plain daft, my career points total is now dropping real fast, I'm up for a challenge but the AI is now "SUPER" fast and the only way to win a point is if you get to the net quick enough and manage to volley at an unbelievable angle, that is pretty much the only way I can now get a point, I quickly forwarded the game onto the fourth season and it's the same old story, the best I've done was I somehow managed to get to the Quarter Finals of the French Open before losing to a fictional player, but just getting that far took so much effort, I would not mind so much if the difficulty jump had been a gradual thing, but it should not be like this.

WHY ON EARTH ARE EA NOT SUPPORTING THIS GAME WITH UPDATES/PATCHES/DLC, THIS GAME BADLY NEEDS SOME REAL IMPROVEMENTS/FIXES A.S.A.P

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Am I missing something? I'm rated number 9 in the world at the first few tournaments in year three. My rating is however, only 36, and I have no unlocked attributes. Do we really have to go through all the training exercises to get more attributes? Will that help against super fast opponents?
My created character wins against Nadal etc. on superstar setting, but same character loses matches to fictional players in year three.

Just came on here to see what other people were saying about the career mode and I'm glad to see plenty of other people find it so strange. This really has to be one of the most stupidly structured 'career' modes of any game I've ever played. In what world does it make sense for a low ranked, low skilled player to win grand slam tournaments right from the off and then struggle later on? Surely it should be other way around!? And where is the build up to the grand slams? Just the one pre-tournament and then on to another grand slam is rubbish. I realise the game is called Grand Slam Tennis and thus the focus is on the grand slams, but surely it would make them more desirable if you'd actually earned your way into them and then even more so when you are strong enough to actually win them.

I'm really disappointed in this because I'm enjoying the actual tennis (even if it is heavily favoured towards net play) and think the right stick racket control works well too. But it just seems pointless progressing with my career as I'm already bored of playing grand slam after grand slam.

OK, I've learned a bit more about career after having played a bit more. If you started GST with the wii version, you became competitive after learning to hit passing shots. For as much complaining as there is about net rushing in GST2, it was common in GST1 as well, but you could lob or use passing shots to compensate.

The first two seasons of GST2 favor passing shot winners, but starting with season three and on (I'm in season 6, ranked number 1 since about the beginning of season 5) game strategy has to change. It's the abruptness of the game play change that makes it infuriating. Nothing works the way it did the first two seasons. Starting with season three, points are seldom won with passing shots. Drop shots from the line cross court will bring opponent to the net, then a cross court topspin hit quickly will usually be the winner. Same can be said for lobs. Seldom will the lob be a winner, (although it can), but the follow up cross court will often be the point. In either case, what's emphasized at season three is a combination of shots that pull the opponent out of position. If you don't do that, you'll usually lose.
I don't miss online at all at this point. Someone mentioned the predictability of cpu action, but I'm astounded by the continuing variety of shots, situations, etc. I'll trade whatever shortcomings career mode might have anyway, in exchange for not dealing with chucking Tcamping Dheads looking for glitches, serve bugs, etc.
Espn games are great, and superstar doubles is really fun as well.
YMMV

Here's a tip.
Spend the first 2 years doing nothing but pre-tournaments and Grand Slams. Take advantage of the easy setting and this will get you around Rank 30 with 30,000 Career points. Spend years 3 & 4 on exhibition matches and Grand Slam Tournys. You would get 80 attribute points to improve your player and bonus gear if you win all your exhibition matches.

You will most likely have no chance at winning any of the Grand Slams in year 3 so you can just skip them. Year 4 would be a challenge but you would be able to get into the quarter/semi-finals at this point with the added bonus points.

At the end of year 4 you should have enough attribute points to get at least 70 speed & 70 power which is good balance to win tournaments against year 5 opponents.

Agreed, Drop deuces. Except that you can win in year 3 if you adapt play as mentioned above. It's not easy, especially against Navratalova, but it can be done, and that's what makes it fun. I've just won Wimbledon with a new player created pretty much as you describe...concentrate on exhibitions to gain attributes etc.
Another tip though: don't get lured into the bonus points if it risks winning the game. Advancing is where the real points are, and that's especially true in exhibition matches.
Another observation: Playing hard starting in year 3 especially is important. Opponents make many more forced errors if you do so. It's another dimension of this game I've come to appreciate, which wasn't there in GST 1. Casual wrist flicks don't cut it.
Grand Slam Tennis  > Grand Slam Tennis General Discussion
Go to: