[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
A note from SimCity Creative Director Ocean Quigley regarding online play  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

I agree with those who've expressed their resistance to any game that requires the player to be connected to the Internet at all times.

Will somebody please stop the ride? I want to get off!

I like games that I can play while on a plane or in a place where Internet is either unavailable or in adequately secured.

I hate to raise this, but I have to wonder where the impetus for this "vision" is coming from. Is it from EA (which I would assume), or is Mr. Quigley (or someone else) the one who is wedded to the vision? I know that the "vision thing" (as the elder President Bush once referred to) can come from many places, from one person to a group mentality. Basically, where did this thing come from, and who is pushing for it?

[Avatar]

It is fundamentally part of the game.

the concept of no city is a bubble IS good just as Spore back in the day enriched itself with player content in the background. Sadly Spore could have been done this way and worked very well by allowing players to trade commodities, support tourism, engage in games politic and war.

Why do it for vanilla as **** Sim City? as in why Compete with other players to make successful cities/regions when they should be working with each other to set up successful cities, regions, and nations. Will your sometimes connection to EA's flaky servers mean ever rarer resource and commodities? we'll have to see if it really works.

BUT the always on connection is something EA allowed to get blown out of proportion because what's required is a connection to start the game, not to play it through. It isn't a online game like an MMO in the sense of the announcement trailer where two players (or up to sixteen) are playing each other move for move, but your game SHOULD check in with EA to update their version of the background economy.

Hopefully it also allows for seamless addition of extra content like it did for Spore, but they could move to monetize ever update like they do with The Sims. We'll have to wait and see about that too.

Because the game supports leaderboards and competition in general, having the same economy for all players gives those leaderboards a level playing field and a dynamic one at that. This has been done before and didn't work so I don't get why Maxis is trying this type of solo-multiplayer online game, versus a proper MMO and a stand alone offline single player experience, so you can learn to play and enjoy the game unmolested with everything you earn in online play, that still updates itself based on the world economy.. WHO is interested in playing Sim City online asynchronously if there isn't an MMO option when that make the game require connectivity just to start the game? Connecting once a day (without needing to play, just to update the game's economy) should be more than enough.

SimCity 2013 = Like throwing your time and money into a fire.. the up side being EA has your money so you know it is being wasted

I'm more annoyed losing a year on this forum in the stupid pursuit of a game worth the name SimCity than losing $60+ to EA

First off let me say I am very much looking forward to the new Simcity. I have grown up playing every version of this game ever since my first 486sx (Spent countless hours playing the old black and white version on the Mac too). I think the new online features are interesting and will add great new dynamics to the game. However the online features also add a lot more questions.

If it were Maxis running the show here I would have a lot more faith in a more persistent server host. How long will this game be hosted? Probably has a 5 year contract with options for more. Just speculation but that would seem to fit how things have been handled with other games that are hosted by EA. That is just one fear though.

Myself I travel a ton for work. I will be away from home half of the month and can be anywhere in north/central America at any given time. I have quite a bit of down time at random hotels. Some have fairly reliable internet connections, others do not. There are too many times to mention where I have to to constantly keep relogging every 3-5 minutes to maintain an internet connection. At home I do not have these issues but I also have less downtime.

My other fear is the economy. Granted we do not have all the info about the game yet. Just wondering if I have a coal rich landscape am I pretty much destined to be a coal exporter/power mogul or will I still have the ability to become a commerce mecca? There are tons of griefers out there that would love to just toss up tons of pollution onto my town/world so the rest of us pay the price. Also was wondering if resources were finite? Would a coal mogul exploit his riches and leave is landscape filled with strip mines only to at some point have nothing left to generate an income?

What I really enjoyed doing in previous versions of Simcity was making a beautiful city with high rising buildings that went for miles. Beautiful large parks and building an efficient infrastructure. I have to say I am really excited about how the "agents" will handle different types of transportation. On the other hand I am concerned that I will not be able to build a city that I envision because somebody somewhere has decided that nuclear fallout is a fun pastime.

Ahh that leads me to another question. Over time, will highly educated sims develop other technologies for energy like in SC4? Or is coal pretty much it as far as power generation goes?

I pretty sure this will all be addressed at some point.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/07/2012 13:40:31

I'm certainly in the camp that wants an offline sandbox mode, as it would be. I'm completely fine with the online mode, and what it sounds like it will offer, and I will most likely give it a shot because I do agree it is the next logical step to take the franchise. If it is done properly, it could be something pretty special.

However, by forcing the situation, you make a big mistake, and cut out a nice portion of your consumer-base. Especially one which has spent such a long time being used to single-player and crafting their own creations. Such an option for those who wish to craft their own economies and networks of cities, rather than being forced into contributing to the global online experience when they may not want to. Personally, I'd like to experience both options, and don't see why both cannot be serviced so that everyone has something to gain from purchasing the game.

For those who just tell us to go and play SimCity 4, I dislike the narrow-mindedness of that argument. Yes, SimCity 4 is still an amazing game in its own right, and will continue to be. Until the community surrounding it dwindles as they shift to the newer game, essentially splitting the community support in two. Not a healthy situation for either game. Consider further that SimCity 4 will be 10 years old by the time this iteration is released, and operating systems and hardware advance and slowly phase out support for older applications, it's unknown just how long SimCity 4 may remain reliable. I've personally had issues keeping it stable on Windows 7 for some reason, and Windows 8 looks to be a radical shift, at least in interface.

Long story short, I love the fact the game is going online, but I feel it'll be a big mistake leaving a true single-player option out, and SimCity 4 will only last for so long for those feeling like they're isolated from the new game if such a mode isn't implemented.

[Avatar]

Then there is the notion of a new 'SimCity:Box 2' that has SimCity:MMO tagging along with *new* SimCity 4 copies being sold.

As it is, to this day SC4 is still being sold as part of SC:Box on the shelf at the local Wal-Mart. And, of course, the 'box 2' version only makes sense as long as the backing server for SimCity:MMO is kept online. THEN EA will have to go back to just selling SimCity:Box (without SC:MMO). Makes perfect sense.
[Email] [WWW]

[Avatar]

[quote=Veggeh][managing economies...] and networks of cities[/quote]

It really is this,

How there's potential for Sim City to become a proper 'City' Tycoon game without as much politics and crap and more of the management of resources and services. Which it can't be as it is described as you don't control all aspects of industry and the larger economy and are limited to controlling just your city/region.

I wish Sim City allowed you to sub manage specific industries. As in playing an industry by yourself, will you control such things as rail, road, air and maritime transport companies for freight and passengers? where the live, how they live and how they move around?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/14/2012 13:02:09

SimCity 2013 = Like throwing your time and money into a fire.. the up side being EA has your money so you know it is being wasted

I'm more annoyed losing a year on this forum in the stupid pursuit of a game worth the name SimCity than losing $60+ to EA

needs offline mode like when you are offline the neighboring cities are replaced with an auto regenerated city that has the same resources as the online city had

OK, I actually created an account in early 2009, but sometimes I just choose the wrong persona I have two crazyforsimcity usernames one capitalized, and one not.

if you don't put an offline mode you may lose millions of sim city fans think of people who can not be connected to the internet all the time and what ever happened to simcity societies

OK, I actually created an account in early 2009, but sometimes I just choose the wrong persona I have two crazyforsimcity usernames one capitalized, and one not.

Almost two weeks have gone by and there is no indication that our concerns about post-server shut-down (and it will come eventually) play are being listened to. I wish those who don't mind renting the game for an unknown period fun playing the game, but I am not willing to spend my time discussing a game I will not play. So have fun and see you when Sim City 6* comes around!

*But only if it will be offline!

[Avatar]

If by which you mean 'renting' it from the 'internet' as opposed to buying it from EA for a little while and trying to have fun with what they are doing to a classic, a pillar, of non-violent video games.

If they aren't the same thing.

Maxis thinks they deserve to be paid for whatever they do --and I mean do legally-- with the games they build and what does it matter to them how long EA plans to support it?

[Avatar]

Allowing a Offline Single-Player Game Mode should definitely be done. If it ends up being Online only, than pirates will be even more tempted to pirate the game (not only for the game's high price) for it's offline mode. If you'd like an example than Google "Anno 2070 Pirated". I personally bought the game, but the often problem of servers being down drove me mad.

I hope you guys are ready for SimCity Societies 2: MMO Edition!!

If only a good company like Valve owned the Maxis franchise, I doubt anyone would be complaining then.
[WWW]

[Avatar]

I have *NOT* purchased Settlers 7... too many reports of the server being down killing 'solo' play.
[Email] [WWW]

[Avatar]

Skuhc wrote:Allowing a Offline Single-Player Game Mode should definitely be done. If it ends up being Online only, than pirates will be even more tempted to pirate the game (not only for the game's high price) for it's offline mode. If you'd like an example than Google "Anno 2070 Pirated". I personally bought the game, but the often problem of servers being down drove me mad.

Blame Ubisoft not the model. (also settlers is moronic.. it should have been a tablet only game)

If the servers were always up (not saying EA is even remotely capable), then you have constant access to your game enriched by online content.

Piracy for Anno must also have been intended and almost encouraged to allow people to play before the were compelled to buy, because it allowed you a nerfed but perfectly adequate version of the game if you couldn't play online. You got perks for playing online. Because server up time is not 100% that might negatively influence your wanting to buy it. Being down weekly no matter how long is pure nonsense. It is however on a schedule which you can work yours around.. still ludicrous but manageable.

Applying that directly to Sim City.. you should get a nerfed version of what it would be like to play online in an offline sandbox mode (if there's a retake Sim City movement EA has proven they can be swayed by mass hysteria) but IF the AI mayors are that bone headed and managing a region is that much harder because you have to micro manage so much more due to all of the new options, and you have a static one dimensional economy you may see the benefit of playing it online. If you play online you get intelligent players (pure marketing fluff I'm sure) and hopefully a continually balanced economy that keeps the game fair and interesting.

[Avatar]

Your opinion of the game is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I still prefer Civ V in terms of 'server/ client' model. I can play Civ V stand-alone/ disconnected. I was able to successfully set up Civ V LAN play with my wife simply using a Cat-5 cable between the two laptops, wireless turned off (duplicating off-line play while on the ferry, or while on an air-flight).

Settlers 7, regardless of the actual game-play does not yet appear to offer single-player offline play. Reading the forums on the topic, this particular model appears to have been hell for the fans of that particular game.

Anno also has the problem. Workable-schedule or not, having the lack of a server kill the game even for single-player is a poor model, in my opinion. EA does not want their potential customers to engage in software piracy. EA should not persist in forcing their customers to *DO SO* to enjoy the game, especially because of server issues.

"Gotta give what you want from me, that's the way it's got to be."

I'm curious how Maxis plans to avoid having a multitude of regions negatively impact one another. I question how modding would even be possible if all regions affect one another. A 'cheat mod' would certainly not be allowed.

Regardless of actual game mechanics, the model is flawed. It does not allow freedom of choice and it does not survive failure at the centralized point of the server unless there is some plan to allow *multiple* servers, like multiple UO 'shards'. And if 'multiple servers' are part of the plan, why not simply allow private LAN servers and single-player 'servers'? Every Civ V game ships to function like that. The only 'server' I have to worry about is the Steam server that *EVERYONE* on *EVERY* game must use to connect.
[Email] [WWW]
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: