[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
ryan tannehill vs JaMarcus Russel?  XML
Madden NFL Series  > NFL Talk

[Avatar]

OhMyGodBasedGod wrote:So we now know that Tannehill has no heart and desire for football like Russel? That's why Russel didn't succeed. IMO they're not comparable yet.

sorry I wasn't clear on that. I wasn't comparing their talent level or desire to play the game (which is why i hinted that i haven't even watched him play) but how JaMarcus was overrated mostly because of lack of QB's in the 2007 draft class. Tannehill is getting the same treatment, I don't know how good he is, but Isray saying he can go 3rd overall means his stock is rising rapidly due to lack of any other seemingly QB's to come in and change a franchise around.

Gt is o Envy v

[Avatar]

PhataLerror wrote:
OhMyGodBasedGod wrote:
PhataLerror wrote:
Eric_SJ5 wrote:Just to justify Tannehill's draft position: he looks way more impressive on tape than Blaine Gabbert (5th overall, 2011) did last year. Good mechanics, accuracy, arm strength and mobility. Biggest knock on him is his lack of experience.

Thats not to say however that he can't turn out to be a Russel. That can happen to anybody. Some people just can't handle the NFL.
Except that Tannehill isn't surrounded by questions about his work ethic.

The Oakland Raiders gambled on being able to keep JaMarcus Russell motivated to play, and if they could have done that, there was a tremendous upside.

The JaMarcus Russell-Ryan Tannehill comparison is extremely disrespectful: They are almost opposites of eachother. Russell had a history of shirking preparation, while Tannehill learned to do whatever he was asked to do well. Tannehill has earned better than that.

I'm not certain how this topic got past five posts without someone getting called on that.
That's basically what I got at in my first post.
Yeah, my bad. I'm not certain how this topic got past the second reply.

Again sorry if I didn't word it clearly. In no way was i trying to say Tannehill will be a bust, or that he doesn't have work ethic or heart to play in the league. I was saying though that the story can be similar, Tannehill wasn't going being talked about as much until Matt Barkley etc. decided to stay in college. Now that RG3 is going 2nd overall people wanting a QB now may reach for Tannehill, and he may not be the best option where QB needy teams are drafting at.

The raiders could have just said screw the QB, he's not good enough to be the 1st selection lets get someone else and hopefully get a QB next year or through trade or whatever.
But instead lack of QB's and a need at that point lead to Russel. The entire 2007 draft class for QB's was pretty sorry,

John Beck
Kevin Kolb
Trent Edwards
Tyler Thigpen
Jordan Palmer

None franchise QB material, Matt Moore went undrafted.

It can set Tannehill up for failure is what i'm saying, he may not be worth a top 10 pick, but he is looking to be surefire chosen up there. Now who knows? He may be the best QB in this draft class. But if someone takes him early, and talent is still on the board elsewhere, and that talent ends up like 2007's draft class? It will look like Russel all over again.

Russel is a bum sitting bankrupt out somewhere, meanwhile P. Willis Revis etc are the best in the NFL at their position.

Gt is o Envy v

[Avatar]

Well he won't be paid like a 1st overall round player so no it won't be the same at all.

[Avatar]

tru11 wrote:
TJ69 wrote:He's worth a 1st round pick but he definitely isn't a player who can come in and start immediately.

Everyone seems to think only QB are good now if they come out and start immediately, Rodgers sat on the bench for a few years behind Favre and look what has happened. Do you think he would have had success immediately he started right away?

how is someone worth a 1st round pick but he aint ready to start.

a 1st rounder is certainly getting starter money lol.

especially a player who might get picked in the top 10/15 range.

He would get about 4 years 20 million if he went #3, more like 4 years and 15 million if he goes beyond #5 or so. I don't think that's to much money to be sitting on the bench.

[Avatar]

TJ69 wrote:He would get about 4 years 20 million if he went #3, more like 4 years and 15 million if he goes beyond #5 or so. I don't think that's to much money to be sitting on the bench.
I could so settle for $3.75 million annually to sit on a bench and watch everyone else work.

Let's see those pro-Kaepernick 49ers fans talk smack now.
[WWW]

[Avatar]

PhataLerror wrote:
TJ69 wrote:He would get about 4 years 20 million if he went #3, more like 4 years and 15 million if he goes beyond #5 or so. I don't think that's to much money to be sitting on the bench.
I could so settle for $3.75 million annually to sit on a bench and watch everyone else work.

That's why they have the rookie wage scale now, so rookies don't get paid large sums of cash anymore.

[Avatar]

Even if the team wants him to sit on the bench for a season let's be realistic he wont sit on the bench long if he doesn't go to a good team with a good qb. How many times have we seen a qb go high in the draft and the teams wants him to sit but it doesn't happen.

BB
[WWW] [Yahoo!]

[Avatar]

rjrlax20 wrote:Even if the team wants him to sit on the bench for a season let's be realistic he wont sit on the bench long if he doesn't go to a good team with a good qb. How many times have we seen a qb go high in the draft and the teams wants him to sit but it doesn't happen.

Very true. Why would Miami ask Tannehill to sit behind Matt Moore and David Garrard. It is not in the best interest of an organization to let their first round QB sit on the bench and watch as their other QB's take them absolutely nowhere. What would Tannehill learn from sitting behind those QB's? His best bet would be to start day 1.

Same goes for Cleveland and McCoy.

The Chiefs offer a more favorable option in this regard but Cassel is quite injury prone and Tannehill would then be forced into the line up.

[Avatar]

Eric_SJ5
Very true. Why would Miami ask Tannehill to sit behind Matt Moore and David Garrard. It is not in the best interest of an organization to let their first round QB sit on the bench and watch as their other QB's take them absolutely nowhere. What would Tannehill learn from sitting behind those QB's? His best bet would be to start day 1.

Same goes for Cleveland and McCoy.

The Chiefs offer a more favorable option in this regard but Cassel is quite injury prone and Tannehill would then be forced into the line up.

exactly in the nfl there is such a urgency to win asap. Your right about if he goes to the chiefs he will have more of a shot at sitting and learning because of cassel and the chiefs could have a good team but even then he will probably be starting midseason . I mean the first sign of trouble and the fans start chanting tannehill's name he's going to get thrown to the wolves like so many past qb's. Out of all the rookie qb's this year he needs to sit and learn the game the most he's only had 1 and a half seasons playing qb in college and couldn't even beat Jerrod Johnson out his jr year. He has came a long way since then but I feel if they rush him into playing too fast he will be a bust.

BB
[WWW] [Yahoo!]

[Avatar]

rjrlax20 wrote:If tannehill get's drafted by a team who sucks at qb like the fins he will end up starting in his first year but if he goes to a team like the broncos or any other team whos fine at qb for a season or 2 he will have time to develop.
OhMyGodBasedGod
I think the Packers are glad they didn't use the method of he can't play this year he's not a 1st rounder. Basically you're saying Rodgers wasn't first round material.

What are you talking about A rod could of started his first year he wasn't really a work in progress like tannehill either thats why there was talk about him going 1 in the draft the packers got lucky because the 49ers didn't want him due too mike nolan and his height plus the packers had brett favre so he could sit. He was picked with the 24th pick for a great team and it's not like tannehill going in the top 10 or 11 to a bad team. Lets be realistic here if tannehill goes to a team without a good qb and they start struggling wich will probably happen he will be starting in his first year if he goes to good team in the later picks with a qb he can sit.

Yes, but my point still stands. You say 1st round picks MUST make a difference that year. So that's obviously not true if the Packers picked a guy knowing good and well he wouldn't play that year. There's a happy medium. If the team thinks the guy has potential to be at least top 10 at his position (specially QB) then they'll take the risk.

[Avatar]

OhMyGodBasedGod
Yes, but my point still stands. You say 1st round picks MUST make a difference that year. So that's obviously not true if the Packers picked a guy knowing good and well he wouldn't play that year. There's a happy medium. If the team thinks the guy has potential to be at least top 10 at his position (specially QB) then they'll take the risk.

When did I say a first round pick has to make a difference in their first year? The only thing I said is if you draft a qb in the first round especially high in the first round and it's not too a team with a good qb or winning team he will end up starting 9 out of 10 times within the first year it happens every year most of the time. If Tannehill goes to the fins or browns early is he really gonna sit behind Matt Moore, Pat Devlin, or Colt Mccoy very long? Your living in fantasy land if you think he's really going to have the luxury of sitting for a year or two on the teams that have their eye on him your crazy maybe they will do well but probably not look at last years first round qb's Cam Newton,Jake Locker,Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder let's see how many ended up starting last year 3 out of 4. Thank god the Titans had Matt Hasselbeck and he played well or Locker would of ended up starting too. You talk about Arod yeah he got to sit because he was backing up Brett Favre.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/15/2012 15:24:15

BB
[WWW] [Yahoo!]

[Avatar]

OhMyGodBasedGod wrote:
rjrlax20 wrote:If tannehill get's drafted by a team who sucks at qb like the fins he will end up starting in his first year but if he goes to a team like the broncos or any other team whos fine at qb for a season or 2 he will have time to develop.
OhMyGodBasedGod
I think the Packers are glad they didn't use the method of he can't play this year he's not a 1st rounder. Basically you're saying Rodgers wasn't first round material.

What are you talking about A rod could of started his first year he wasn't really a work in progress like tannehill either thats why there was talk about him going 1 in the draft the packers got lucky because the 49ers didn't want him due too mike nolan and his height plus the packers had brett favre so he could sit. He was picked with the 24th pick for a great team and it's not like tannehill going in the top 10 or 11 to a bad team. Lets be realistic here if tannehill goes to a team without a good qb and they start struggling wich will probably happen he will be starting in his first year if he goes to good team in the later picks with a qb he can sit.

rodgers was drafted to a good team with a good qb in front of him.
it would be the same as luck being drafted and sitting a year or 2 behind manning.

if it wasent tnx to favre watch each and every season he would have started long time ago.

tannehill wont have that luxery seeing he will go to a team that has uncertaintenty @ the QB position and the moment the team is losing ( which is very likely) he will be forced to start seeing he is a 1st round pick.

you just dont draft projects in the 1st round, especially when its your job on the line.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/15/2012 15:36:34

kennylc812 wrote:I jump to EA's defense every chance I get. They pay me based on how often I defend them
Madden NFL Series  > NFL Talk
Go to: