[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Yard/Garage Sales  XML
Scrabble  > General Discussion - Off Topic

My Klimt is very attractive and it looks wonderful on my living room wall where alas it will stay because it is unmistakeably a print!

[Avatar]

@1954Healey:
My Klimt is very attractive and it looks wonderful on my living room wall where alas it will stay because it is unmistakeably a print

Hard cheese, old chap!

If you can find a pic of it on the Internet why not post it so that we can all see what it's like? Or maybe just the name of it so we can look it up ourselves...?

Don "Quixote" Noel
[WWW]

[Avatar]

Don_Noel
If you consider a flea market to be just a really big garage sale ...

Yes, I definitely do ... They hold a great one about half hour from me at the local speedway (car race track), weather permitting .... luckily, the weather has been permitting

[Avatar]

Here are a couple of other suggestions that come to my mind for getting stuff really cheap:

1. FreeCycling

There is an organization called FreeCycle throughout North America. The main web site is here. All you do is go to that page to see if you have a local chapter. If so, you subscribe to it (usually they are a Yahoo.com group). You will receive emails or an email digest a couple of times a day where someone announces they have something possibly still useful that they want to get rid of. People respond, the donater decides who gets it and then the "winner" picks it up. Simple, and a little bit of landfill is conserved.

2. Garbage-picking/Dumpster-diving

I'm a major advocate of this and do it all the time. Here's a list of some items I have that I've saved from the landfill:

- 4 fairly-recent desktop computers, including the one I am using to write this message on. These all worked fine straight out of the trash. A couple I had to add hard drives to but I have plenty of parts, also from the trash.
- a very serviceable laptop (ca. 2006).
- audio electronics; 3 stereos, 2 surround-sound systems, a shortwave radio
- several dressers and other furniture
- tools of various sorts; a radial arm saw (I eventually sold it for $500), hand tools, mechanic's tools, grindstones, a Delta sharpening station, several toolboxes.
- shop supplies; assorted wood, metal rods and sheet metal, screws, nuts & bolts, &c.
- many bikes. My current 5 bikes are trash orphans. Two of these are high-end bikes that required some repair, but of course the garbage is an endless supply of bike parts, too. I've also built bikes from parts to give away to people I think deserving.

There's just too much stuff to mention and the possibilities are endless. Also, I don't mind picking up a broken item if I think it can be repaired. Most people are mostly either too dumb or too lazy to fix things.

One thing to watch for are the municipal bylaws regarding garbage-picking. Here in Ottawa it's called "scavenging" and if caught I could be given a fine of up to $250. However I've never seen a Bylaw Enforcement Officer around on garbage day. Frankly they don't care unless you are a nuisance and are really noisy early in the morning or make a mess. I'm very careful to not do those things.

You also have to remember that dumpsters are private property. Technically you are committing a theft. Corporate dumpsters may have video surveillance (they watch for people throwing stuff in them more than what people take out of them), but they are also concerned about possible liability should you hurt yourself. If the security guy tells you to leave forthwith, do so without giving him crap. Just go back in the nighttime.

Garbage-picking ... one of my favourite hobbies.

Don "Quixote" Noel
[WWW]

Sorry Don.I am just Clueless on posting to this DB ....it will not let you simply copy and paste.the Painting Is Elizabeth I and though a seemingly cheap print it does have some mildly interesting inscriptions " Gustav Klimt nr:114 ....printed in Austria".It's very attractive but I have no illusions of any value....Just go to my FB page.I have a picture posted of it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/19/2012 00:21:45

[Avatar]

Is it a print of Portrait of Baroness Elisabeth Bachofen-Echt? If it is, it is still a great find even if it is a print!

This is a sweet photographic portrait of the artist:

Gustav Klimt

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 04/19/2012 21:45:27

Thanks, but no ....this painting was entitled Judith...heres a link

http://www.cheapoilpainting.com/products/judith?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&CAWELAID=853356031&gclid=CNWc54Ccwq8CFQdN4AodTjGfcg

[Avatar]

A new garbage-picking find:

You have to start really early so that you beat "The Man" ( the garbage men) to the good stuff. So I was out making the "rounds" early this morning (about 0600h) and picked up a Telefunken Stereophonie Anlage SV8 stereo. I looked it up on the WWW. It was made around 1953, so it's only a year younger then me.

There isn't one piece of silicon in this thing as it uses vacuum tubes, and there are no circuit boards either; it uses the old-fashioned point-to-point wiring.

I figured the tubes were all blown or maybe most of the oil and paper electrolytic capacitors would have to be replaced. I took the beast home, plugged it in and fired it up.

It works perfectly! Wonderful sound too and it can really pull in FM broadcasts even without a dipole antenna. Here's a pic of what the front looks like:

NOTE: The trapezoidal shape is a photographic distortion; it's actually square.

... here's the back:

...and here's the rear view with the panel removed:

...and finally, a bottom view of the chassis wiring:

It is a very timely find. Both my primary and secondary stereos blew up last week (@1954healey: that's why I haven't listened to Leo Kottke yet; I don't have a sound system to connect my computer to and I don't have decent headphones).

The problem is that the connections don't use the standard (for these days) RCA phono jacks. They use (I think) old-style tip-sleeve connectors, so I have to figure out the signal paths. It sure would be nice to get a schematic. Maybe someone out there happens to have one in their back pocket (somehow I don't think so)? Or maybe there’s an antique radio collector who can give me this info?

There's a bit of water damage on the mahogany veneer but that's fairly easy to fix.

SurroundSound? We don't need no stinkin' SurroundSound ....

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/20/2012 19:23:39

Don "Quixote" Noel
[WWW]

[Avatar]

1954Healey said:
Thanks, but no ....this painting was entitled Judith...heres a link

http://www.cheapoilpainting.com/products/judith

Thanks for sharing this. It is truly a remarkable painting. Congratulations on your find.
The link takes a little while to pull up so I am posting the picture as well:

Judith - Gustav Klimt

@Don-
Wow, you can't find even a new radio that pulls in the stations without a special antenae .... GREAT find!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/19/2012 21:36:30

Thats the picture Goldilocks! Thanls for posting it.I just have to determine what the numbering on the print means.I own signe,numbered prints.So I know it increases their value. My instinct tells me I have a print of a signed print,thus making the value of the find entirely the fact that I got it for $8.00 rather than the $10.00 that was the asking price!

@ Don....GREAT looking Radio! A real find. Amazing the things people just discard!

[Avatar]

uh oh ... I may have found a new addiction! My hubby and I went to our first live auction last night and were successful in several of our bids.

[Avatar]

Another great find. Someone tossed a karaoke machine into a dumpster.

Now I don't do karaoke. In fact, when I used to busk on the street people used to pay me to not sing. However, my guitar amp recently went on the fritz so I thought "I wonder...?"

And guess what? A karaoke unit makes a pretty decent guitar amp, at least for an acoustic guitar with a magnetic or piezoelectric pickup installed. Nice clean, natural acoustic sound, and now I have an echo effect (my "real" guitar amp doesn’t have that). Plus I can record to cassette tape and later use it as a background track to play along with.

Don "Quixote" Noel
[WWW]
Scrabble  > General Discussion - Off Topic
Go to: