[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
The greens and there famous kicks and warps - Needs answering for once  XML
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion
Author Message




Joined: 01/26/2012 02:36:54
Messages: 634
Offline

As you told me in another thread, mega, just forget it. The guy has no earthly idea what we are talking about, or why we are talking about it. Just let it go, buddy.



[Avatar]
Joined: 10/23/2010 14:30:31
Messages: 388
Offline

mega8deth8 wrote:The physics are wrong. That's what we are saying. Read it.

Even if that were true, and I disagree with that... then simply adjust to how far you think they are "off."

But, precisely because I think the physics are more "right" than ever, you won't be able to do that... because, while not random, the physics become a much more complex calculation, when you factor in the variable swing tempo.

The game is basically set up to go exactly where you aim- only when with zero wind, and a level lie, and a perfect/perfect swing, whilst having 100 attributes. Any variation, and it becomes less predictable, but certainly predictable and realistic nonetheless. Just play around in practice mode with no wind gusts and you will see this.

Unless you can execute a perfect/perfect shot, with the correct aiming offset for that particular shot; you will not hole out, and trying harder just makes it feel worse when the noob holes out without any thought- pure dumb luck.

But, that's golf folks. It happened to me today, but I still ended up winning, because I realize that you cannot worry about luck. You can only worry about what you can control.

You absolutely can still control the results of your shot. Just understand that there are more factors involved, and the "kicks" are very much spot on, and never random.




Joined: 03/17/2012 13:49:49
Messages: 334
Offline

You know what the beautiful thing about physics is? it's predictability (excluding quantum mechanics, things get weird there). The way the ball reacts on the green does not follow any of the physical laws of nature. That is our issue, the ball does not react the way it should, period. The devs claimed to improve the physics of the wind, which they did but they completely * up the greens for some reason.

JUDGE, JURY, FINISHER



[Avatar]
Joined: 04/17/2011 10:30:36
Messages: 1116
Offline

I'm pretty good at basic physics, so enlighten me. Augusta par3. 4th hole. Any wind, any direction. No side slope. Just back to front. Hit it anywhere on the green. Straight, draw, fade, anything you can think of and that green will break 45° to the right. Front or back door. Other greens play the same, but this is one I remember specifically. Explain doc!

Mega_8 PSN
Caddykillaz!! CC (No more dramas, come get it)
Am/Tourn/Sim Player



[Avatar]
Joined: 10/23/2010 14:30:31
Messages: 388
Offline

LlGHTS_OUT56 wrote:You know what the beautiful thing about physics is? it's predictability (excluding quantum mechanics, things get weird there). The way the ball reacts on the green does not follow any of the physical laws of nature. That is our issue, the ball does not react the way it should, period. The devs claimed to improve the physics of the wind, which they did but they completely * up the greens for some reason.

Perhaps the green speed issue that makes putting always play "slow" is at issue.

But, it's not like landing the ball out of a raffle. It only seems that way because it's impossible to hit the same place without a mulligan and the exact same shot and tempo.

I agree that there are a few physics flaws, with the always slow green putting speed, and with the rough playing the same as the fairway.

But, the ball simply takes all the breaks in this years version, and I find the roll to be very consistent with the nuances on the green. The greens are simply more detailed.


This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 04/16/2012 23:20:31





Joined: 03/17/2012 13:49:49
Messages: 334
Offline

OMG dude you're really getting on my nerves. Why is it that people that don't know what they're talking about always have to hijack the am threads? You clearly haven't played the game enough to realize our issue. How does swing tempo have anything to do with how the ball is going to break on the green? I hit perfect perfect, sometimes it breaks left other times right, it has nothing to do with that. For the love of god will a dev come in here and answer our question.

JUDGE, JURY, FINISHER



[Avatar]
Joined: 04/17/2011 10:30:36
Messages: 1116
Offline

tmvp wrote:
LlGHTS_OUT56 wrote:You know what the beautiful thing about physics is? it's predictability (excluding quantum mechanics, things get weird there). The way the ball reacts on the green does not follow any of the physical laws of nature. That is our issue, the ball does not react the way it should, period. The devs claimed to improve the physics of the wind, which they did but they completely * up the greens for some reason.

Perhaps the green speed issue that makes putting always play "slow" is at issue.

But, it's not like landing the ball out of a raffle. It only seems that way because it's impossible to hit the same place without a mulligan and the exact same shot and tempo.

I agree that there are a few physics flaws, with the always slow green putting speed, and with the rough playing the same as the fairway.

But, the ball simply takes all the breaks in this years version, and I find the roll to be very consistent with the nuances on the green. The greens are simply more detailed.



I think I'm gonna take your advice Kenny. I just realized that we are not playing the same game. If he didn't know that the putts and ruff distance was already calculated for you, then I've got nothing to say to convince him of physics. Later.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/16/2012 23:30:02


Mega_8 PSN
Caddykillaz!! CC (No more dramas, come get it)
Am/Tourn/Sim Player



[Avatar]
Joined: 10/23/2010 14:30:31
Messages: 388
Offline

LlGHTS_OUT56 wrote:How does swing tempo have anything to do with how the ball is going to break on the green? I hit perfect perfect, sometimes it breaks left other times right, it has nothing to do with that. For the love of god will a dev come in here and answer our question.

If you can't "figure it out" than we're back to the discussion about why the OP feels like there aren't enough hole outs.

This issue clearly has less to do with physics, and more to do with looking for what no longer exists in this years version; because, anyone can figure out a physics offset for a software simulation. Just figure it out already and stop complaining.

That the physics are more involved to calculate- when you factor in the variable swing tempo- is obviously completely lost on you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/16/2012 23:31:28





Joined: 01/26/2012 02:36:54
Messages: 634
Offline

Like I said, he doesn't understand what the issue is. I find it amusing because I started an entire paragraph off saying some will think we are complaining because we aren't holing out, and he jumps right in accusing k2damoon of that very thing. We have detailed the issue thoroughly. If he doesn't understand it, that is on him.



[Avatar]
Joined: 10/23/2010 14:30:31
Messages: 388
Offline

KennySq wrote:Like I said, he doesn't understand what the issue is. I find it amusing because I started an entire paragraph off saying some will think we are complaining because we aren't holing out, and he jumps right in accusing k2damoon of that very thing. We have detailed the issue thoroughly. If he doesn't understand it, that is on him.

Uh, can't falsely accuse a direct quote.

I find it amusing that you think that your issue is above my pay grade, and yet, you choose to play with "mid-air-spin."

Complaining about the physics when you can modify them on the fly doesn't even make sense.




Joined: 01/26/2012 02:36:54
Messages: 634
Offline

mega8deth8 wrote:
tmvp wrote:
LlGHTS_OUT56 wrote:You know what the beautiful thing about physics is? it's predictability (excluding quantum mechanics, things get weird there). The way the ball reacts on the green does not follow any of the physical laws of nature. That is our issue, the ball does not react the way it should, period. The devs claimed to improve the physics of the wind, which they did but they completely * up the greens for some reason.

Perhaps the green speed issue that makes putting always play "slow" is at issue.

But, it's not like landing the ball out of a raffle. It only seems that way because it's impossible to hit the same place without a mulligan and the exact same shot and tempo.

I agree that there are a few physics flaws, with the always slow green putting speed, and with the rough playing the same as the fairway.

But, the ball simply takes all the breaks in this years version, and I find the roll to be very consistent with the nuances on the green. The greens are simply more detailed.



I think I'm gonna take your advice Kenny. I just realized that we are not playing the same game. If he didn't know that the putts and ruff distance was already calculated for you, then I've got nothing to say to convince him of physics. Later.


Good call, mega. I'm going to take my own advice finally, too. Arguing with people who have no idea either what you, or they themselves are talking about is an exercise in futility.




Joined: 03/17/2012 13:49:49
Messages: 334
Offline

lol i give up

JUDGE, JURY, FINISHER



[Avatar]
Joined: 10/23/2010 14:30:31
Messages: 388
Offline

People need to stop blaming their results or lack thereof on EA.

Saying it's a physics issue is a cop out. Just figure out what the game does, and do that.

Hello! You play to win the game. Just do what it takes. If you cannot figure it out, don't go blaming EA.

Everyone plays under the same conditions.

Hole outs, or the lack thereof, are not a result of a physics issue in this game. The player is, period.

If you believe in another issue, deal with it, and find the offset. If you can't figure it out, don't blame me for speaking the truth, or EA for turning up the physics.




Joined: 01/26/2012 02:36:54
Messages: 634
Offline

tmvp wrote:People need to stop blaming their results or lack thereof on EA.

Saying it's a physics issue is a cop out. Just figure out what the game does, and do that.

Hello! You play to win the game. Just do what it takes. If you cannot figure it out, don't go blaming EA.

Everyone plays under the same conditions.

Hole outs, or the lack thereof, are not a result of a physics issue in this game. The player is, period.

If you believe in another issue, deal with it, and find the offset. If you can't figure it out, don't blame me for speaking the truth, or EA for turning up the physics.


Well, I can't stop myself from replying to this. What platform are you on? If Xbox, go to the live tournament leaderboards. Sort by events won. In the three weeks this game has been out, I have 44 non country club tournament wins, 11 more than second place. K2damoon has 17 non country club tournament wins, which is 4th in the world. Those are our credentials. What are yours? We aren't talking about this because we aren't holing out or because we aren't winning. As I have said over and over, the ability to hole out or win does not change the fact that the ball breaks against the green. We have done "what it takes." That does not mean everything is right, though.



[Avatar]
Joined: 10/23/2010 14:30:31
Messages: 388
Offline

mega8deth8 wrote:If he didn't know that the putts and ruff distance was already calculated for you, then I've got nothing to say to convince him of physics. Later.

The fact that you take this at it's face value is probably why you're confounded with your results.

As far as I can tell, the game aims every shot- in range- at the cup for land/roll.

Nevertheless, the rough plays the same as the fairway, the game does not aim past the hole for you, nor does it require it, which is incorrect physics. The trajectory doesn't even change, relative to normal distance from the pin.

But, what you are talking about... I'm just not seeing. My shots land just as I envision them. Do they all go into the cup... of course not. Do the greens have more nuances? Yes. Is that more realistic? Yes.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion
Go to: