[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
A few thoughts regarding Mr. Quigley's thread about online play...  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

[Avatar]

Maybe it would be good to be able to just sell and buy from the generic market at the variable market prices. You have less stability in prices but far higher reliability of hauling products.

Always try your best.

Hay All,

I would of prefered having each players region neighbouring each other, rather than individual cities. That way you could have multiple resources that could complement the region as a whole. It could also limit damage caused by neighbouring regions policies to out lying cities in your region rather than completely trashing your whole investment. If your can run multiple city, i would of thought that then logicly there would be situated next to each other..

I do hope that if you are not blessed by having a city sat on huge oil reserves or diamond reserves then with a bit and time and work you can build the ability to generate resources by other means, I.E. technology exists today to create diamonds from coal, My ideal wish would probably be generating certain base resources from recycling garbage as every one wants shut of garbage.. One positive from this is that, with it being stated some were that resources will be finite, it will semi stablize the markets when the servers have been running a while and resources become more scares naturally..

Having read about the forum abit i have noticed that there is a great deal of concern regarding the online aspect of the game, really do hope the developers address this, as with so many previous & protental customers asking for solo off line play, i would hope that they deserve more than just a shrug of the shoulders..

I personaly think there will be pros and cons related to online play, although the option would be nice..
Con - Lose of the ability to do what ever you please with your city, as there will be knock on effects,
Pro - New dynamics to the play,
I'll certainly give it go should i still have internet when they release the game..
Although i do have concerns..

I'm hoping with things still being in very early stages that more information will eventually flow in meaning a better picture of what the pros and cons will actually be, rather just working off paranoia..

Sorry this post has started turn into a colminations of the different posts i read..

Back to point, one option in regards to markets is what known as a co-op, basicualy a small group trade goods for goods or recources for resources cutting out the whole market system althougther, i believe that mayors can donate resources to other mayors so this should be possible..

I had to laugh, given the economical problems accross the globe and the limited supplies of natural resources are EA shaw they really want relism.. LOL..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2012 17:26:17

[quote=PBDWyld]One positive from this is that, with it being stated some were that resources will be finite, it will semi stablize the markets when the servers have been running a while and resources become more scares naturally...[/quote]

Speaking of this, I wonder what the possibility of stockpiling resources would be. Could we do this? If so how much can we stockpile? I'm figuring it might be a good market tactic to do this on certain resources which are cheap at one point, and you might require them later. OR they could be hard to obtain resources, and grabbing all you can would help benefit your city since you'll have plenty to use.

SC4 MP in a few easy steps -

1. Get Dropbox, or filesharing equivalent.
2. Add "-UserDir:"<Dropbox Folder location>" To the target like in the shortcut properties.
3. Play the game, all new region files will be linked to that folder.

Stock exchange style.. I would suppose you could, although it would depend on how much of a given resources is on the market, because if the market system they have in mind is truely global between all players then you would need a vast amount of buying power to effect market prices in the short term..

I do like the plan thou, does sound like there may be a long term pay off, i think that if poss i may hold on to some resources as long term investment..

[Avatar]

Any ideas on the qualitative difference between EA dropping their Restaurant City game by June 29, 2012 vs. how likely EA will be dropping SimCity:MMO down the road?

http://forum.playfish.com/showthread.php?t=2821001

No matter how good SC:MMO is with a backing server, it doesn't help having the game dead because EA decides to focus on 'new titles'. What server based games might EA be killing to put the money towards SC:MMO development and support? And how likely will that bite SC:MMO fans in the future?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2012 13:31:48

"I'm sure EA is very successful at monetizing games, but the more we don't do what they would do, the happier I am" --Notch

"Free men choose. Unfree men comply." John T. Reed

File this one under, "If the shoe fits..."
http://youtu.be/e-LE0ycgkBQ
[Email] [WWW]

Like all businesses they'll more than likely drop it when the profits are no longer viable, unless they go the subscription route..

One hope could be the loyal fan base, i am aware of a few online games that now run on fan based servers after developer support was dropped, even some quite aged games. Although i suspect that EA's co-operation would probably be needed to setup such a server.. overly optimistic i know..

[Avatar]

There is consideration for all the help SimTropolis and other fan sites got towards problems and bugfixes with SC4 in the years since SC:Rush Hour.

"I'm sure EA is very successful at monetizing games, but the more we don't do what they would do, the happier I am" --Notch

"Free men choose. Unfree men comply." John T. Reed

File this one under, "If the shoe fits..."
http://youtu.be/e-LE0ycgkBQ
[Email] [WWW]

[quote=TwiddleBits]
I look forward to E3. My Sims are already hard at work designing new tanks and stealth fighters. The server has been down all weekend, but as soon as it comes online again, Romaq, Neil, and I will be ready to launch "Operation Toilet Plunger".
[/quote]

Honored to be included, and very much looking forward to that game on that server.

The original SimCity featured:
*A believable simulation
*Offline play
*Save/Load files
*Disasters
*Scenarios
*Terrain Generation
*Landfills
*Large Cities w/ Rivers
*Infrastructure Water Crossings

That's all I'm asking from the new SimCity.
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: