[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Good strategy or bad?  XML
Scrabble  > General Discussion

The score is currently 72 (opponent) to 47. Do you think I should continue trying to get the what I can? There are a couple of nice DW spots open, too.

See my point?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/29/2012 22:28:43

@ Dinakipdx: given that there are plenty of 'i's and 'e's in the bag, you have a fair chance of drawing one of them. In that case it might be worth playing off, or exchanging the K in the hope of drawing one, but if you are unsuccessful, move on - it's pointless to flog a dead horse. While you are playing around with low score moves, your opponent could well be running away with the lead, and could easily block 'computerize' in the meantime; thereby rendering your bingo building efforts a waste of time. Also, you could be unlucky and draw a J, or another U, or anything at all! In general, I have found that fishing for a specific letter is a mug's game.

I agree with HAPe4me, that it is generally better to collect the tried and tested bingo letters (CANISTER). As you possess 2 blanks, you have a virtually guaranteed bingo in the next couple of moves, anyway. With your tactics, you are left holding on to the Z and a U, and these are rarely helpful. I note that you have already got rid of an A.

More generally, regarding your reluctance to exchange tiles, I would just observe that while you are nursing along a duff rack and scoring peanuts, your opponent is leaping ahead. Surely it is better to just get rid of the dross and give yourself a fighting chance of scoring high.

Lionel Stoodley

[Avatar]

@LaidbackLi: thank you for your input. I was thinking about this last night and came to the same conclusion: I'd better play my tiles now that the board is open rather than letting my opponent get too much of a lead.

You're very welcome Dinakipdx, I am somewhat amazed at the parasitic qualities one must tolerate in this forum to post a valuable question. I am only hoping this does not hinder you from posting questions again, I know I have learned from your thread. For some reason the phrase "consider the source" keeps coming to mind. Chin up
[Yahoo!]

[Avatar]

@ JimmySlamskins:

[Avatar]

Dina, I like this question because strategy is really the most difficult for me. It seems that when I try to make something happen it doesn't or it comes back to bite me. I like to hear how other people deal with these things.
Nice to see you on this side of the forum!

Cathy

[Avatar]

This is an example of what I call 'tunnel vision'. You see a fancy play and you fixate on it.
It's similar to the tantalization of a near bingo on the opening turn, but you need the opponent to play an I or whatever, so you pass your turn and hope...because you're absolutely obsessed with getting some specific word that you ALLLLLLLMOST have.
I've lectured repeatedly about NOT passing your turn in hopes of playing an 8-letter bingo.
And similarly, it's hardly ever a good idea to fish for some fancy extension, even if it's 122 points or whatever - unless the odds are INCREDIBLY favorable (not just mildly likely) - OR you are way behind and nothing except a huge 'Hail Mary' play can possibly steal a win for you.

Learning to 'let go' of tempting words that you do not actually have...I think it's an important skill.
Sometimes the difference between winning and losing a close game is whether or not you're able to accept you don't have the word, and most likely will NOT get it, and move on to another line of thinking.

Brian Williams

[Avatar]

@TheWall812: I decided to drive out of the tunnel and played my Z and K for a 42 point word and am now one point ahead of my opponent. Drew my two tiles and have a bingo on my rack (TROUBLE)! Thanks for your sound advice.

[Avatar]

I've had this issue a few times over the past few months, and have discovered, through trial and error, that for me, if I am quite far ahead in points, it's ok for me to waste a turn or two to try and get the tiles I need. But I definitely keep an eye on what tiles are out and how my opponent has been playing. If we are close in points, I MIGHT waste one turn, but no more than one turn. But I have to say, the times that I have not gotten the tile(s) I need far outnumber the times I have gotten them. So I am more inclined to side with TheWall812 on this.

[Avatar]

There are similar situations where 'tunnel vision' actually is valid.

We've all been in games where both players are struggling with bad tiles (usually one has all vowels, one has all consonants, for multiple turns, denying each other the letters the other one needs and both suffering...). The board often turns into a tight mess devoid of scoring opportunities.
One player might have squeezed out a 60ish point lead, the other player finally is able to put down a cheap bingo, but it ends just short of a Triple Word...and it will accept an S (or whatever). It's hookable right on the triple word. Whoever pulls an S can play almost anything there and score 60+ points by tripling both directions.
The player who puts down the bingo HATES the horribly risky setup it provides, but they see no other way to catch up on this ugly board, and it's the only bingo they can play, so they put it down.

Now obviously, the entire game hinges on one simple question - who draws an S first?
Unless one player finds a way to block the spot so that the risk is at least minimized - it's logical that each player will try to run through as many tiles as possible in a race to pull the first available S from the bag.
In this case...having tunnel vision about drawing the S and pluralizing that bingo...is justifiable. This can be a game where you absolutely WILL win if you draw the S first, and you absolutely WILL lose if you the opponent draws it first.

But that's the only sort of situation where following a 'tunnel vision' mentality makes any sort of sense.
In all other cases - fixation on one thing almost always hurts you.

Brian Williams

[Avatar]

@ TheWall812: there's absolutely no doubt in my mind: you must be an amazing Scrabble player. Thank you for your input.

[Avatar]

Dinakipdx wrote:@ TheWall812: there's absolutely no doubt in my mind: you must be an amazing Scrabble player. Thank you for your input.

I'll never forget some of the great games Brian told us about.

Brian said:
one standout game in my mind is one that happened at the 2009 National Championship in Dayton, at which I played in division 2. Nigel Richards executed a winning setup, finishing out with DECA(GO)n(AL).

http://www.scrabble-assoc.com/cgi-bin/showgcg.pl?id=nsc2009%2F21

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/06/2012 15:54:44

[Avatar]

Goldilocks800 wrote:
Dinakipdx wrote:@ TheWall812: there's absolutely no doubt in my mind: you must be an amazing Scrabble player. Thank you for your input.

I'll never forget some of the great games Brian told us about.

Brian said:
one standout game in my mind is one that happened at the 2009 National Championship in Dayton, at which I played in division 2. Nigel Richards executed a winning setup, finishing out with DECA(GO)n(AL).

http://www.scrabble-assoc.com/cgi-bin/showgcg.pl?id=nsc2009%2F21

That might be a different Brian...I was never in Dayton.
I did play div 2 at the US Nationals in San Diego... back in 2002 or whenever it was, but haven't gone recently.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/06/2012 16:56:54

[Avatar]

That might be a different Brian...I was never in Dayton.
I did play div 2 at the US Nationals in San Diego... back in 2002 or whenever it was, but haven't gone recently.[/

Oh! Well congratulations for placing 5th in the 2nd Division at the National Scrabble Tournament held in San Diego CA in August 2002

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/06/2012 18:23:52

Scrabble  > General Discussion
Go to: