[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Control Tips for GST with WM+  XML
Grand Slam Tennis  > Grand Slam Tennis General Discussion

I have collected a few thought by myself and others about achieving good control with WM+ , please add your own tips below.

Here goes:

-Be aware that the face of the (imaginary) racket is the side of the wiimote. That would mean that for the most part you want the wiimote to be parallel to the ground while you are swinging (i.e. the buttons are facing the ceiling). The index finger should be over the b button and the thumb should be over the a button.

-if you seem to only be able to backspin/topspin the issue is likely with your wrist on the follow through - you are twisting it. Go to the practice court and work on that.

-if you seem to only be able to slice you need to work on keeping your swing level. Trust me, its possible to hit straight - go to the practice court and work on that.

-use defined swings (this is not wii sports tennis were you can just waggle, you really need to bring you arm back). This may sound like a given but it is actually one of the hardest things to realize if you have gotten used to wii sports tennis.

-start your swing as early as possible (just when the ball has been hit by your opponent, and you have determined what direction it is going to go), and follow through when the ball has reached you. Mastering this ability will markedly improve your game,and you will also have less instances where the WM+ is confused about if you are trying a backhand or a forehand.

-when you are waiting for the other guy to serve hold the wiimote still and parallel to the ground, don't worry about what your on screen character is doing.

-serving in GST is not 1:1 - it is the same as wii sports tennis. You swing the wiimote when the ball is at its apex. You can control the direction of the serve (while the ball is in the air) using the d-pad.

- you can only do lobs and drops using the a and b buttons.

Additional tip a few people have suggested:

- return your racket hand to the middle of your body after each shot.

daithiblair's tip:
Go to the practice court, plug in the nunchuck to give yourself full control of the character. If you prefer to play without the nunchuck during actual matches, that is fine, but when on the practice court you want to place your character where you want and know that AI wont interfere. This way you know the only thing affecting your character's movement is the wiimote +. Set the ball machine to slow, serving up only flat shots to your forehand. Bring the raquet back and deliver controlled swings across your body. Instead of trying to hit a specific part of the court. Simply use consistent swings until the ball bounces in the same place, or at least close to the same spot every time you swing. Once you know where your hitting the ball to, try to hit specific parts of the court. remember consistancy and control, not power, are the most important aspects of the swing.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 06/14/2009 07:03:05

WiiTourNet.com - The Wii Tournament Network

Join us for a Grand Slam Tournament!
[WWW]

Can we sticky this thread? Great Post Betz

Finely after playing 2 a 3 hours,
i now feel the controls good
thanks for the tips betz

This is a brief overview of my experience. While motion plus is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, I believe it is the better control option. I have not played any online matches, but now I can play with the computer on hard and have success (I don't know if that really means anything). So here it goes...

Step 1.
Make sure your controller is calibrated.
-Hold the remote parallel to the ground, waist high
-Don't move it during the replay or anything leading up to the start of the point

Step 2.
Make sure your calibration is correct
-Hold the remote parallel to the ground, waist high
-If your character on screen has the racquet in some position other than in front you're out of luck (wait until next point to calibrate)

Step 3.
Watch your on screen character
-If your character winds up for a backhand, hit a backhand
-Trying to hit a run around forehand or backhand will happen, but it seems you don't get much control over whether or not it happens

Step 4.
Make sure your back swing is under control
-If your back swing is too fast your player will swing and your out of luck
-If you try to hit a forehand when your animation is set up for a backhand expect awkward results

Step 5.
Hit cross court shots, they're easier (just as in real tennis because there is more court to work with)
-When hitting cross court follow through across your body (Nine times out of ten this works, sometimes it doesn't so oh well)

Step 6.
Calibrate, CALIBRATE, [b]CALIBRATE!
-If your not calibrated properly you will get funky results

I hope this overview helps, it has for me. The number one lesson I have learned so far is that patience is important. The game is not perfect, and if you can't design better technology then complaining is not really helpful.

If you have any questions post them on here

I have never pay attention to calibration and it seems to work fine. Just hold it steady for 2 seconds between points if you feel you need it calibrated. I don't face it down like in the video I just hold it steady.

I can almost always pull off the shot I want and place it where I want. I won't even remember to calibrate for a few points but doesn't seem to affect me either way.

I agree t3nn1sm4n, i dont think actually placing the controller face down every point is necessary, but i do believe in maintaining a consistent stance between points with the remote face up in front of your body. When the character's raquet is off from mine i do feel like i shank a few more shots than usual, though it could be entirely in my head.

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

Indeed a tips and hints thread is a great idea.

http://twitter.com/oilersguru
[Email] [WWW]

Where do most of you have the sensor for the Wii positioned, on top of the tv or the bottom. I'm thinking that the location of the sensor could have something to do with the quality of the control in this game. Just a thought.

Betz,

I agree with others, your list is one of the most useful set of instructions I've come across for the game.

I strongly encourage you to post this in a review on Amazon. That is where the vast majority of Wii players get their information, and I think your tips would be super helpful for new players, seriously reducing the initial frustration that this game appears to be causing for many. You will be reaching hundreds of thousands of readers via Amazon and your list will be super effective in helping players have more fun with the game.

Thanks Betz!

JG

OK, I took your advice and published my review on Amazon. I will post a link when it is live. They say it may take up to 48 hours.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/11/2009 10:18:47

[WWW]

You rock Betz!!!

Look forward to reading your review. Thanks again for all of your help.

Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/review/RZ78BLZZ4NEBT/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

[WWW]

Great review mate. And you're right about the arm thing. My arm was killing me last night and is still pretty sore. And I'm always playing sport at school and stuff.

But the game is so so good. Probably the most enjoyable game I've ever played. It's so addictive. I keep saying one more game, but if I lose in a tiebreaker or do poorly I want to keep playing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/12/2009 06:01:48

Nice review Betz, I voted it up. I hope more people do so as well.

And speaking of sore... I got my game yesterday, and I played for five straight hours. From the right side of my chest and back and down to my elbow, it feels like I've been hit by a bus. It just might set me back when I turn on my Wii later today.

It was just my upper arm that hurt. I think it's my triceps. It only really hurt to serve which was why I was servin like crap earlier today online.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/12/2009 06:26:26

Grand Slam Tennis  > Grand Slam Tennis General Discussion
Go to: