[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
The greens and there famous kicks and warps - Needs answering for once  XML
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion

If any dev happens to read this, please just read the original post and give us an explanation please. And tmvp quit wasting our time, this issue obviously doesn't affect you, why do you have to come in here with your opinions? We don't want opinions, we want answers.

[Avatar]

KennySq wrote:Well, I can't stop myself from replying to this. What platform are you on? If Xbox, go to the live tournament leaderboards. Sort by events won. In the three weeks this game has been out, I have 44 non country club tournament wins, 11 more than second place. K2damoon has 17 non country club tournament wins, which is 4th in the world. Those are our credentials. What are yours? We aren't talking about this because we aren't holing out or because we aren't winning. As I have said over and over, the ability to hole out or win does not change the fact that the ball breaks against the green. We have done "what it takes." That does not mean everything is right, though.

That just makes it more ludicrous. The OP said this issue was affecting hole outs, period.

Perfection is just not attainable when you add more variable factors.

Look, I don't need to state my cred... and frankly, I don't even play with mid-air-spin, or boost pins... because, ironically to this topic, I find them to be a physics issue.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/17/2012 00:05:03

another "I only" guy, where is igloo when you need him?

[Avatar]

LlGHTS_OUT56 wrote:another "I only" guy, where is igloo when you need him?

Seems to me this issue is only affecting people that are clearly psychotic, if they feel like they need to win every single hole they play, with a hole out, no less.

I'd be surprised if the majority of duffers out there are in agreement with these ridiculous requests for more predictability... so that the people that are already winning, can rub it in even more. lol

Fortunately, I don't suffer from either inane complex. I've been to the circus, and seen the strings.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/17/2012 00:11:21

[Avatar]

The greens' physics on certain settings are cartoonish. Underlying code ain't meshing properly.

How does a de-lofted downwind 1-iron into a waterlogged flat green at Sant Andrews get a three foot dead-cat bounce and almost plop down in its own divot mark? A 1-iron should at least skip and skid through several yards, not stop on a dime. But the water splashes up real nice so I guess it's OK

And those 3-hybrids, while lotsa fun to hit, do death-defying breakdancin'. Not "real-life" at all. ROFL

And tmvp, no matter what TW13 mode you play - amateur or "set and forget" mode - it's still a toy.

PS3. EA Tiger Woods Series PS2/3: 2003 thru 2014. PC: Links LS, PGA Tour Golf, Mean 18

[Avatar]

David_Online_55 wrote:The greens' physics on certain settings are cartoonish. Underlying code ain't meshing properly.

How does a de-lofted downwind 1-iron into a waterlogged flat green at Sant Andrews get a three foot dead-cat bounce and almost plop down in its own divot mark? A 1-iron should at least skip and skid through several yards, not stop on a dime. But the water splashes up real nice so I guess it's OK

And those 3-hybrids, while lotsa fun to hit, do death-defying breakdancin'. Not "real-life" at all. ROFL

And tmvp, no matter what TW13 mode you play - amateur or "set and forget" mode - it's still a toy.

Perhaps the underlying issue is the fact that every green speed plays slow when putting.

But, shots in the rain on slow greens do in fact stop on a dime on Tour, especially into an up-sloped green.

Don't you remember seeing YE Yang hit a hybrid out of the rough and land on a dime to beat Tiger in the PGA Championship?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/17/2012 00:17:47

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

tmvp, please stop as all you are doing is agitating a longstanding issue (arcade/sim) and not really contributing to the real issue that some of the top players are seeing in the game. I don't think you are understanding what they are saying based on your limited experience with this year's version.

OP and contributors, if you would like I can lock this thread and you guys can restart and we'll try to assist to keep it on topic.

As far as the issue itself, I am not an am player but I am seeing some odd green results, including plenty of misreads (beads going one way but the putts breaks the opposite). Could that be part of what's causing the problem? Maybe not so much the physics gone awry, you'd think that would be a consistent programming feature with all shots/courses/modes. Maybe some greens are just messed up in their grid overlays somehow. I've never seen the game before where you can have 2 side-by-side grids with beads going in opposite directions in previous versions. Don't you hate getting a putt right on the gridline and trying to read that break? Maybe this is somehow carrying over to approach shots, having a shot fall on that gridpoint if you catch my drift.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xoblongx
EASPORTS GameChanger and PGA Golf Fanatic
X1-Oblong PS4-xOblongx (I Need NextGen Golf!)
[WWW]

[Avatar]

Oblong wrote:Don't you hate getting a putt right on the gridline and trying to read that break? Maybe this is somehow carrying over to approach shots, having a shot fall on that gridpoint if you catch my drift.

By the way, this last issue that you pointed out is important.

This is a very realistic/lifelike occurrence in golf. Case in point: The 2012 masters, final round, 18 hole. The hole was set just slightly closer to the front of the green, literally inches from the fall line.

This created a situation where putts from similar distances under or above the fall line would break in opposite directions. This was not, random... it's just how it was setup.

Your observation of this occurring in this game only proves that the despite the sluggishness of the greens when putting, that they are taking the breaks correctly... just moreso than in any year prior.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/17/2012 00:43:37

[Avatar]

Oblong wrote:tmvp, please stop as all you are doing is agitating a longstanding issue (arcade/sim) and not really contributing to the real issue that some of the top players are seeing in the game. I don't think you are understanding what they are saying based on your limited experience with this year's version.

OP and contributors, if you would like I can lock this thread and you guys can restart and we'll try to assist to keep it on topic.

As far as the issue itself, I am not an am player but I am seeing some odd green results, including plenty of misreads (beads going one way but the putts breaks the opposite). Could that be part of what's causing the problem? Maybe not so much the physics gone awry, you'd think that would be a consistent programming feature with all shots/courses/modes. Maybe some greens are just messed up in their grid overlays somehow. I've never seen the game before where you can have 2 side-by-side grids with beads going in opposite directions in previous versions. Don't you hate getting a putt right on the gridline and trying to read that break? Maybe this is somehow carrying over to approach shots, having a shot fall on that gridpoint if you catch my drift.

I have wondered this myself obs. But after the phantom break, green seems to putt correctly. There are several spots (putting from below the hole at the 9th at the par3 course) where the putt does indeed break the opposite it should. All we are asking for is a discussion much like the one you are contributing to. Thanks. I know real ball physics don't act like some of these breaks so I have taken the stance that it is a technical issue. I just hope a Dec will confirm or deny this so it can be corrected.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/17/2012 00:49:49

mega8deth8 PSN
Caddykillaz!! CC (No more dramas, come get it)
Am/Tourn/Sim Player

You are obviously the man around here, Oblong. What I, and I imagine the others want is any type of explanation from HANDSWARD or another developer. I know they are busy, but it would go a long way if someone woud say anything about this. If closing this thread and starting another is the best way to go, I know I absolutely yield to your judgment.

As for my part in the argument that occurred outside of the real issue at hand, I apologize. I normally don't post many things I would regret later as I usually stay cool. I did not adhere to that this time, so I apologize to you, tmvp. I am very passionate about this game, but I was being a * for no reason. Your record in this game has nothing to do with your opinion.

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

tmvp wrote:
Oblong wrote:Don't you hate getting a putt right on the gridline and trying to read that break? Maybe this is somehow carrying over to approach shots, having a shot fall on that gridpoint if you catch my drift.

By the way, this last issue that you pointed out is important.

This is a very realistic/lifelike occurrence in golf. Case in point: The 2012 masters, final round, 18 hole. The hole was set just slightly closer to the front of the green, literally inches from the fall line.

This created a situation where putts from similar distances under or above the fall line would break in opposite directions. This was not, random... it's just how it was setup.

Your observation of this occurring in this game only proves that the despite the sluggishness of the greens when putting, that they are taking the breaks correctly... just moreso than in any year prior.

Ummmm, no. The grids are 3 feet wide I believe which are too wide to create a proper "peak" if there were one present on the real course. And this could be right where the problem is happening. In previous versions you could adjust the grid size, now it is static. Are there underlying breaks not showing or is the game gimping where side-by-side grids of opposite directions are meeting? Maybe not as you guys seem to be seeing it on continuous breaking greens with opposite reactions. Hopefully someone like HANDS can come in and lead us in the right direction or give users an assurance that the "key" is out there and we haven't discovered it yet.

Again, tmvp I do believe this discussion is outside your realm of experience and leading the discussion off-topic. While this is an open forum for all to contribute I do feel like your posts are missing the mark to the point of total derailment of the discussion. No offense but maybe go "read-only" on this one for a bit.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xoblongx
EASPORTS GameChanger and PGA Golf Fanatic
X1-Oblong PS4-xOblongx (I Need NextGen Golf!)
[WWW]

[Avatar]

Unless I'm saying something that is actually off-topic, my level of play has nothing to do with my opinion of what's happening in the same environment.

Again, I see exactly what you're seeing. I agree, there may be an issue with the grid squares overlapping. But, my thoughts are that overall the greens are simply taking more breaks than last year, and are more detailed.

Oblong wrote:

"
Again, tmvp I do believe this discussion is outside your realm of experience and leading the discussion off-topic. While this is an open forum for all to contribute I do feel like your posts are missing the mark to the point of total derailment of the discussion. No offense but maybe go "read-only" on this one for a bit. "

WoW

I thought I would post my idea/opinion on the subject but after reading the above statement ,don't think I will.

[Avatar]

Oblong wrote:Hopefully someone like HANDS can come in and lead us in the right direction or give users an assurance that the "key" is out there and we haven't discovered it yet.

I think the fact that you admit that you aren't entirely sure of what's what is admirable; but it also proves that anyone's opinion is just as speculative as anyone else's. We're all playing the same game... Are we not?

I couldn't say if there are any idiosyncracies in terms of breaks on the greens. My putting is so erratic that if my attempt goes astray I simply blame myself - bad read or twitchy stick!

Brit, 50, 'real' golfer

'Not the Real Thing' CC

engcccgolf@gmail.com

XBOX, standard controller
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion
Go to: