[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Maxis: City Size Equivalent to SimCity 4's Medium Citys. Really?  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

[quote=Maxis_MD][quote=BLSmith2112]

I understand that you say the game will be packed with features to keep us busy, but the size and scope of our cities is what defined Sim City. Now that the Glassbox is focusing on the underlying engine, that's great, but if it forces sacrificing the large scale and scope that defined the previous titles I don't know if thats enough. [/quote]

You'll still be able to create large cities. Keep in mind they'll also be part of a larger region, too. So in terms of scope, this opens up a lot of new possibilities, as your city (or cities, if you choose to claim multiple spots in a region) has/have the opportunity to work together in different ways. So there's a lot of added depth on top of the basic city-building mechanics. [/quote]

Maxis_MD,
I mean no disrespect, but every time you speak of region play, you talk like it’s a new concept never before seen in a SimCity. Region play was perfectly defined in SimCity 4. Each super sized city seamlessly connected to the other within the same region. A player had full control of each city, the city specialization, and the region transit. Can you honestly say SimCity (2013) will compare anywhere near the same epic scale of SimCity 4? Simply separating cities within the region by un-editable land breaks the scale. The smaller city size does nothing but compound the issue.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 08/14/2012 17:53:51

[Avatar]

@LZIM: "Making Chicago takes a long time" - "Versus RL cities which can take a decades to centuries."
-Obviously. SimCity has always been about organics. Cities IRL appear stagnant in never changing. Sim City has always been about the organics of a city and within that hundreds of years can pass by in a play session. Thats just how it is. So creating regions like the Chicago image I posted is much more realistic than pockets of little sprinkled towns.

@LZIM: "And when you're done making Chicago.. what comes after that a disaster and a new city? Waste all that effort just to start another region from scratch?"
-Then don't play with disasters if your so afraid of world shaping events. Do you honestly prefer to play in infinitesimally small cities just to avoid the challenges brought on by disasters?

Cities are big, regions are huge (and interlocked). Thats the reality, this is supposed to be a simulation of that reality.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/09/2012 07:28:38

[WWW]

nxgravity wrote:Can you honestly say SimCity (2013) will compare anywhere near the same epic scale of SimCity 4? Simply separating cities within the region by un-editable land breaks the scale. The smaller city size does nothing but compound the issue. It’s like SimCity 4 took 1 GIANT step forward, and SimCity (2013) is taking two GIANT steps back.

EA/MAXIS is doing a really poor job at managing expectations in the community.

This is SimCity, not SimCity 5.

Don't expect anything more than what you had in the original SimCity. It's a reboot, not a continuation.

You can read my signature for what I'm expecting for a minimum feature set in a reboot of SimCity.

In short, you're expecting too much/this is not the game you think it is.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/09/2012 08:31:06

The original SimCity featured:
*A believable simulation
*Offline play
*Save/Load files
*Disasters
*Scenarios
*Terrain Generation
*Landfills
*Large Cities w/ Rivers
*Infrastructure Water Crossings

That's all I'm asking from the new SimCity.

I see what you're coming from neil5280. You're only asking the minimal compared to what more than half of the fan base is asking for but unfortunately Maxis won't even give you that. Only a very small fraction of what you're looking for will be realized.

[Avatar]

I just wanted to say that complaints about city size would honestly vanish if I saw a city the size of a comparable medium SimCity 4 city like the developers and MD said they are. All I've seen thus far has been 10x10 block areas of buildings surrounded by trees and separated by vast deserts of grass with flat highways between yet another tiny town with big buildings (giving off the effect like its big but its really not).

Maxis your community is vocal because they care about the brand. They have been apart of the SimCity history dating back at least 10 years. With every new generation of gamers, surely you have to tweak the tried and true formula, but reducing what made it great in the first place is not the way to do it. Personally, I love data visualization, the simulation engine itself, the graphic design, zoning automatically changing density based on traffic, your support of full modding abilities, curvy roads, etc.

Those are all great leaps forward, but the city size is akin to a tech demo, not a simulated bustling city of the size you've promised. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt until Gamescom though, and I can completely understand why cities wont be like the ultra large tiles in Sim City 4, in fact, I think most of your community understands that, but now its like, as I said, a tech demo showing what the engine can do with a small sample size, but nothing to what it looks like with a real city.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 08/13/2012 00:21:16

[WWW]

pianoman420 wrote:I see what you're coming from neil5280. You're only asking the minimal compared to what more than half of the fan base is asking for but unfortunately Maxis won't even give you that. Only a very small fraction of what you're looking for will be realized.

Which is precisely why I won't be buying the game at launch, but when the price is much much much much lower (if the servers are still up).

I detailed my reasoning and pricing scheme much more thoroughly in my thread: "How to Accept SimCity" ( http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8847811.page )

The original SimCity featured:
*A believable simulation
*Offline play
*Save/Load files
*Disasters
*Scenarios
*Terrain Generation
*Landfills
*Large Cities w/ Rivers
*Infrastructure Water Crossings

That's all I'm asking from the new SimCity.

If only SimCity (2013) has maps like this.

http://xlnation.net/content/carmen

I would buy it in a heart beat. LOL

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/12/2012 16:59:15

[Avatar]

pianoman420 wrote:If only SimCity (2013) has maps like this.

http://xlnation.net/content/carmen

I would buy it in a heart beat. LOL

I'd argue that that is about the size of a SC4 medium city. A really really cool looking city. Heavy density commercial center, elevated highways, and a suburban residential neighborhood on the edges. XL's visuals were great but the gameplay killed it for me. SC 2013's gameplay looks great, but the scope kills it. Why cannot there be something with both

Compared to what we've scene:

Okay okay.. Gamescom, I know... I know :/

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 08/12/2012 20:56:39

[WWW]

Large cities in SimCity 4 was a big illusion, it was just a bunch of small buildings that only varied in height according to the chosen density.

Moreover, the high density areas in SC4 were small to create the false impression that the space 2x2Km was great. When you put a large building on a map, you realized the real size offered in SimCity 4.

And another thing, Maxis believes that small and medium cities don’t have countryside, limiting the space for 2x2km. Administratively, the city also includes rural areas and not just urban areas.

Say that you can create a great city based on a region with a lot of specialized small towns is a great illusion. Well, this only complicates the game, because you need to create a bunch of connections and manage various cities instead of a big city with only one town hall in a large area as in Cities XL.

Maxis wants to deceive whom? A region formed by small towns without rural areas is not equal to a large city.

I don't understand why Maxis did not want to increase the default size for SimCity 2013. They think we'll be satisfied with a great city all fragmented instead of having a space large enough to build a true metropolis in SC2013.

BLSmith2112 wrote:Forgive me, but I've only got to go on from what I've seen. Here are a few comparison shots between what a Sim City 4 "Medium" city is Vs. a "Small" City. Until I see differently, I don't see how SC 2013 is comparable as a Medium "SC4" City.

Also switching from city to city removes any sense of immersion players get. It's not longer a city, its a collection of tiny cities. Sim City 4 had you playing in a larger region of cities too, but each city was actually a city, consisting of hundreds of thousands of people.

This is how I view SC (2013) compared to its predecessors:

{Edited out}

The first (Chicago) image is what it would look like in SimCity 4 (an immersive, large & complex city building experience), then the second image would be how it is in SimCity (2013), divided, smaller sectioned off segments, divided by auto generated roads and highways. Sure it might be nice and complex, but separated and divided nonetheless.

I apologize for my pessimism, but I only have what I've seen to go on. I'm looking forward to Gamescom & I sincerely hope that my city size worries have been proven wrong, granted that I'll be able to actually see a completed and developed city, as opposed to a series of videos online being posted from people just starting out building their city.

People on the Simtropolis site are under the opinion that the "small" labelled city in that pic is actually a medium and the "medium" labelled city is actually a large.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 08/14/2012 09:46:32

nxgravity wrote:It’s like SimCity 4 took 1 GIANT step forward, and SimCity (2013) is taking two GIANT steps back.

More like "SC4 took 1 GIANT step forward, and SC2013 took one GIANT step.. wait wheres he gone? SIM CITY! YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY!! THATS THE KINDERGARTEN PLAYGROUND!"

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/14/2012 09:46:45

Tuscan04 wrote:
nxgravity wrote:It’s like SimCity 4 took 1 GIANT step forward, and SimCity (2013) is taking two GIANT steps back.

More like "SC4 took 1 GIANT step forward, and SC2013 took one GIANT step.. wait wheres he gone? SIM CITY! YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY!! THATS THE KINDERGARTEN PLAYGROUND!"

Ha! That made my day.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/14/2012 09:46:54

Even in SimCity 4, the standard space of 2km by 2km is small.

In SC4, the land occupied by large skyscrapers is unreal, for this reason it was up more buildings.

For example, the Burj Khalifa occupies an area of 0.334 km², the Empire State Building occupies an area of 0.257 km², Los Angeles City Hall occupies an area of 0.046 km² and the Triumph Palace in Russia occupies an area of 0.17 km².

Manhattan is full of skyscrapers has an area of 59.5 km² (almost 15 times larger than the standard size 2x2 of SimCity 4).

[b]We need to demand of Maxis, a larger default size to build our cities and not be making comparisons[/b].

I really want big cities.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/14/2012 09:47:04

[Avatar]

There is one shread of hope that Maxis has been listening:

4 Million+ population for a city. I'm thinking ether they have a typo or they have yet to show us some actual cities

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/14/2012 10:13:31

[WWW]
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: