[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Were the maps in the Beta 2x2 or 1x1?  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

Deaso wrote:I had medium size cities (80,000) with not the slightest hint of lag on the highest possible settings.
I understand some people's computers might lag, this is what options and settings are for. And if you're computer is that bad, don't expect the rest of us to suffer a lack of options because you won't upgrade.

And the decreasing sim amount per building is a great idea. I had 15 people running into small single family homes. It's obvious building density is high just to make up for the small cities. Why not decrease the density of buildings while expanding the play area?

Overall I really enjoyed the beta though, just hopeful for larger city tiles.

It's not just people. If you have four times the buildings, you also have four times the trash agents, power agents, sewage agents, water agents, etc.

"It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo. The name literally beckons."

[Avatar]

YuraEA wrote:Keep in mind that you probably had 1/10th of the agents that a full game "full city" would have, if that.

So everyone will have 1M population cities in the full game?

[WWW]

Ummmm I had heard from one of the developers back during the first beta that those beta cities we had were a little smaller and the full 2x2 would be available at launch..

I am not a networking wiz but wouldn't part of the reason for going small city size have to do with the fact that the game is online play only? I am mean would the servers have to process all the information from end users and if the cities were bigger would it just place more stress on the servers more so than people's personal PCs?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/18/2013 09:16:29

[Avatar]

Hirikan wrote:you constantly keep repeating the same rubbish over and over man. Sing a new tune!

You first

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/18/2013 09:34:36

"UR" is not a word. It's the sound dumb people make when they try to spell "You are."

http://www.radioparagon.com
[WWW]

[Avatar]

Oh boy, what an original thread.

Must've been 5 minutes since we've had this argument.

[Avatar]

Slider6294 wrote:Oh boy, what an original thread.
Must've been 5 minutes since we've had this argument.

Did you miss it? lol
I understand why people want bigger cities, I really do.
BUT, simcity can run millions at once. In beta there were people that broke 100k in population.
Now think of every simulation agent that's needed for each building. Trash, water, power, sewage,
sickness, injury, fire, and then top that off with the time of day affecting traffic and where people go.
SC4 was nothing but an animated spreadsheet, it didn't do this. I'm very happy with the game, I bought it.
If you aren't, then don't. Kinda ticks me off we've had so many threads about this.
Yes, most people have wonderful computers, my main box doesn't have a part it in more than 6 months old.
BUT, I also have a computer in my office that's over 10 years old, and probably won't play simcity at all.
(I don't really care about that, but making a point.) While we know other cities will be working on maxis' servers,
there will still be background simulations being done from your system to their servers. If you had 5 cities running 1m+ sim agents all going at the same time your computer would lag. I'm happy with what they did. Go play Cities if you don't like it. I've had it with this stuff...

Grammar and punctuation are the differences between; I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse. & i helped my uncle jack off a horse

[quote=Riggaz]/cancelled pre order[/quote]

kthxbai

[Avatar]

TheXWolf wrote:Go play Cities if you don't like it. I've had it with this stuff...

Y'know, that's not really helpful at all. As soon as someone says they want larger maps they get answered with "go play CitiesXL". Many here would be satisfied with 3x3 or 4x4, and yes I do believe the simulation can handle it.
See, in larger maps you don't need to use all the space, in small maps you have to. If your computer can't run it too well, why would you push it to the limit?

[WWW]

[Avatar]

Togfan95 wrote:
TheXWolf wrote:Go play Cities if you don't like it. I've had it with this stuff...

Y'know, that's not really helpful at all. As soon as someone says they want larger maps they get answered with "go play CitiesXL". Many here would be satisfied with 3x3 or 4x4, and yes I do believe the simulation can handle it.
See, in larger maps you don't need to use all the space, in small maps you have to. If your computer can't run it too well, why would you push it to the limit?

And that's the reason Sim City is 2x2km. Too many people underestimate the power of a city building game engine and what a performance hog it can be. It's incredibly different to other types of games. As I said in my post, you've got Sim City - 2x2km with incredibly deep city simulation, and Cities XL - 10x10km with decent metropolis simulation. I play both and like both, and myself and several others fill up the maps in CXL (take a good look at XLNation before making such conclusions about CXL). Both games play quite differently too due to the different levels of depth. Or you could just head back to SC4.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/18/2013 12:55:47

Efficiency & Effectiveness. Honest & Modest. To the new beyonds.

[quote=YuraEA]
It's not just people. If you have four times the buildings, you also have four times the trash agents, power agents, sewage agents, water agents, etc.[/quote]

somehow I doubt this is going to require the gigaflops of computing power going idle when running the game on max settings on a decent PC

[quote=Asheroo]
And that's the reason Sim City is 2x2km. [/quote]

So why not have the option of 2x2 map regions, 3x3 map regions, and 4x4 map regions?

People can then select the region which matches their hardware. This really is not a difficult concept to understand.

[Avatar]

Asheroo wrote:
Togfan95 wrote:

And that's the reason Sim City is 2x2km. Too many people underestimate the power of a city building game engine and what a performance hog it can be. It's incredibly different to other types of games. As I said in my post, you've got Sim City - 2x2km with incredibly deep city simulation, and Cities XL - 10x10km with decent metropolis simulation. I play both and like both, and myself and several others fill up the maps in CXL (take a good look at XLNation before making such conclusions about CXL). Both games play quite differently too due to the different levels of depth. Or you could just head back to SC4.

It's still not the same, I can't edit services or specialize in those games.

And the 10x10 cities in CitiesXL are overkill. (never get to fill them up anyways)

[WWW]

[quote=Asheroo][quote=Togfan95][quote=TheXWolf]Go play Cities if you don't like it. I've had it with this stuff...[/quote]

See, in larger maps you don't need to use all the space, in small maps you have to. If your computer can't run it too well, why would you push it to the limit? [/quote]

And that's the reason Sim City is 2x2km. Too many people underestimate the power of a city building game engine and what a performance hog it can be. It's incredibly different to other types of games. As I said in my post, you've got Sim City - 2x2km with incredibly deep city simulation, and Cities XL - 10x10km with decent metropolis simulation. I play both and like both, and myself and several others fill up the maps in CXL (take a good look at XLNation before making such conclusions about CXL). Both games play quite differently too due to the different levels of depth. Or you could just head back to SC4.[/quote]

I pretty much agree. If I am looking to build a huge city with little depth of city simulation I'll get CXL or something. I am glad Maxis is taking Simcity 5 with a different approach making it more than just building the biggest city with high population. Instead they're actually bringing a living city that I can interact with.

[quote=Dr_Mibbles][quote=Asheroo]
And that's the reason Sim City is 2x2km. [/quote]

So why not have the option of 2x2 map regions, 3x3 map regions, and 4x4 map regions?

People can then select the region which matches their hardware. This really is not a difficult concept to understand.[/quote]

I agree with this guy this is the way it should be end off. Maxis if you do happen to read this please build this into the game for lunch and get the full community back on your side as it would then make the perfect game.
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: