[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
First Next Gen Golf Details Revealed  XML
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion

yup, and I caught the news here...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/golf/woods-ea-sports-end-15-year-relationship/

and to go along with some views and theories to the split, EA (or whoever) could surely embrace the PGA, USGA, and R&A pretty well without Tiger. and, though I personally don't much care about his recent past, the whole thing could just as well be serviced by a broader view of the players and personalities in the game, starting with the more "user friendly" and family oriented names like Phil Mickelson and Matt Kuchar maybe appearing on cover art. there are more, plus the younger next-gen names like Bubba, Webb, Brandt, and Keegan who always seem to lead the pack or be in the mix.

JC

[WWW]

Oblong wrote:This news comes to me as both saddening and exciting.

Many of us have been playing the EA SPORTS golf games before it was called Tiger Woods, but the past 15 years the partnership created the lexicon for the series. Tiger's amazing feats on the golf course helped make golf more than just an "old fogey" sport and through the series everyone could try to match his accomplishments. Certainly sales were increased by the partnership just as TV ratings spike when he is in the field of any tournament.

But the partnership also limited many aspects of the game so a return to a "PGA TOUR Golf" title (not saying this is what they will do) may help them focus more clearly on that aspect both from a gameplay and features standpoint. The timing is perfect IMHO...new consoles arriving and a year break in the series give the devs the opportunity to completely rebuild and redefine where a golf game can go and revitalize the rut the game has seen with declining sales over the past 2 years.

The real question isn't if the game can survive with a new name but what can be done to make a golf game appealing enough to sustain itself amongst a sea of action and adventure games and other sports offerings. Golf is an always be somewhat of a niche sport so what can be done?

Should a golf game come out every year? (I think not...fill the gaps with courses and other offerings)
Sustaining golf titles in the past (think PC titles) always had course creators.
Arcade and sim must continue...key word "and" and not vs.
The next version must be rebuilt from the ground up and offer something new other than just better graphics.
Less is more, let the series develop and add-to over time, but the base product must run like a dream.

Just a few thoughts on my part, interested in others sharing theirs.

It's pretty simple what they can do to revitalize the franchise. Have a real career mode, not the bare bones crap, and have a realistic presentation to it. The majority of sports gamers who play The Show, Madden, NBA2k series etc....do it for franchise mode because that's what gives the game replay value and have numerous cut scenes, varied commentary that gives the game immersion and this series is not different. You win a tourney in TW14 and nothing happens with cut scenes or commentary, you make a key shot on the back 9 of a major and the commentary doesn't acknowledge in any way except something generic like "nice shot". Talk about dull and uninspiring. The devs once said that most gamers don't even complete one season of career. Well why would they? It's boring and uninvolving. And it gets traded back in.

With golf if you included all aspects of the aspects of a real career and make it look like a tourney that's alive and realistic you give the game endless replay value. For some reason EA has always deemed career mode as an add on with only superficial improvements year after year and many times taking away features to concentrate thier resources on shallow story modes that no one plays for more than 2 days.

Until they do that this series will continue to flounder in sales. Career mode and presentation of any sports game is thier bread and butter of longevity.

[Avatar]

Oblong wrote:

Just a few thoughts on my part, interested in others sharing theirs.

Ok Obs (& lurker devs)
If we take Tiger as a template for my views

Keep: Customisation of Swing, Aids like wind variation & green grids, Zoom, Create a Golfer (both male & female), online tournaments, Play The Pros, CC chat or equivalent
Get Rid of : Gimmik modes that mean time is taken away from developing the core game (yes I played Tiger Toddler & Legends), status points ,
Bring Back : Course Mastery & Course record stats
Improve : Course Stats to account for swing variation & Tee Variations, clothing options (if endorsements won't allow for it make generic EA (or game designer) gear more varied) graphics, website support to allow for CC to have leagues & track stats automatically
Motion Gaming : Get it right or don't bother please

In an ideal world - more specific/appropriate & varied commentary in career mode, ability as an option to walk the course or drive the course, devs that stick around for more than 2 weeks

In a really ideal world - a game without any massively glaring bugs that are found by players within 5 minutes but missed by testers who spend a little longer testing

Hole in One History - TW14 Move Player
Oakmont #13
Royal Birkdale #12
Tour Pro, no green grid, zoom enabled

I'm a Legend .... apparently

YD.....I agree & I think the Devs would benefit from spending $60 on Mlb the show 13 & playing through that game.I have yet to find a sports game that has the level of depth that this game has.I think the Devs at San Diego studio have a lot of love for baseball & this really shows in the final product.The post game support Is also a lot better than what EAsports have provided in recent years.I also want to mention about custom presentation,the Show offers a huge amount of options for players to immerse themselves into.

I'm just hoping that the Dev's can see a way of getting more involved with this forum.....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/29/2013 07:21:19

[Avatar]

And now it begins.... Having sufficiently ignored the multiple issues with TW14, and the complete ignoring of those who have had the audacity to complain about it, EA acknowledges they have been hard at work on developing the next generation while totally refusing to support the product they just put out. Enough lies about new patches and the majority of disgruntled customers gone, suddenly they are coming back to life. My big questions are; Will this game be supported? When the inevitable bugs and glitches are uncovered will they be addressed? Or, will it be just another product pushed out before it's ready and forgotten once the majority of the money is grabbed?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/29/2013 07:41:37

After an astounding number of votes, Consumerist readers once again chose EA over Bank of America, with the video game company taking nearly 78% of the vote for worst company in America for the second year in a row.

EAcom Golf Tim wrote:
Da_Border_Fox wrote:

EA voted America's WORST company 2 years in a row...TIGER top money spinner 9 years outta 10....who you think made decision?? pretty sure we all know

Speculate all you like....but you would be surprised....

Tim is probably right. Its more likely EA is looking to cut costs so getting Tiger out of there was a must.

I made comments a while back about a phone call I had with EA last year when I was told EA has the biggest team ever on TW14 and Tim or someone else in the know said that its the complete opposite...which fits in nicely with cost cutting theories.

Its obvious in TW14. The game was rushed and definitely not properly tested, rife with bugs, practically no updates [wot we got 1?]...I've heard title updates cost about 40k to do. If EA is getting slim on a update that costs around 40k, they definitely don't have enough to line Tigers pockets.

With that said, I doubt we will see another golf game from EA. I don't think the profit margins are big enough. They have let the game go in the last 2-3 years...meaning the game keeps getting worse, not improved.

I've kept all my TW games since I started playing in 07'...sold them all last night to Gamestop for like a buck each.

An interesting wrinkle to go with this is that Take Two have just registered 2Kgolflinks .com.

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

mfluder wrote:An interesting wrinkle to go with this is that Take Two have just registered 2Kgolflinks .com.

2K has owned the Links franchise for over 8 years and registered that domain months ago. Yet, like the previous 8 years, no information about an upcoming Golf game. I'll be surprised if they put any Golf game out....

RichLP68 wrote:BTW... as an aside... I almost immediately made the rendering my new desktop background...

I can't put the pipe down...

Haha, it's my desktop background as well! I honestly didn't know if we would see another EA Sports golf game, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear any type of news yesterday. I think the writing has been on the wall for a few years now in regards to moving on from Tiger Woods, but it's unfortunate he won't be in the game at all. It's not a big surprise though, as I'm sure it would still be expensive to get him in the game. Hopefully, they use the money saved to put in more licensed courses and a wider range of real-life pros. They have some big names in already, but maybe they can continue to get more.

I wonder what will happen with license for Augusta National and The Masters moving forward, and I hope all four majors are still in. I passed on TW14 at release, but I'll get it on Black Friday to hold me over until the next-gen game comes out in a year or two. This news pretty much guarantees I'll get either an XBox One or PS4 now in the near future. I was worried about seeing another EA Sports golf game, but that worry is no longer necessary. I'm really excited to see more news, although I'm sure we won't get much in the coming months. This game is still a long way out I'm guessing, but it's nice to see a screen already.

Personally, I don't care what the reason for splitting with Tiger is or what they call or do to the game. As long as Tiburon works on it, even if its to hand code over to another house, I won't buy it. 13 and 14 were enough for me to conclude that Tiburon can't produce a decent game and won't support it. If its free in the psn store I might download it but I won't buy any dlc for it. Hopefully by then a better game has been produced by some other company and even downloading a free version of this will be a waste of time. Not another penny from my pocket to Tiburon's will go.

And like Da_Border_Fox, I'd like to know when do you ever see that screen in the current release?

[Avatar]

Pick1name wrote:Personally, I don't care what the reason for splitting with Tiger is or what they call or do to the game. As long as Tiburon works on it, even if its to hand code over to another house, I won't buy it. 13 and 14 were enough for me to conclude that Tiburon can't produce a decent game and won't support it. If its free in the psn store I might download it but I won't buy any dlc for it. Hopefully by then a better game has been produced by some other company and even downloading a free version of this will be a waste of time. Not another penny from my pocket to Tiburon's will go.

And like Da_Border_Fox, I'd like to know when do you ever see that screen in the current release?

Yea me neither, I haven't been happy since 2011, but I do know that screen, because I froze there time after time, it's the screen after you get your coins and stuff, while you transition to the screen where you pick what you want to do next. I believe that screen changed, kinda went through some of the signature holes, and when sawgrass 17 came up I knew I'd freeze.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/29/2013 12:41:38

MagnumTeeRex wrote:And now it begins.... Having sufficiently ignored the multiple issues with TW14, and the complete ignoring of those who have had the audacity to complain about it, EA acknowledges they have been hard at work on developing the next generation while totally refusing to support the product they just put out. Enough lies about new patches and the majority of disgruntled customers gone, suddenly they are coming back to life. My big questions are; Will this game be supported? When the inevitable bugs and glitches are uncovered will they be addressed? Or, will it be just another product pushed out before it's ready and forgotten once the majority of the money is grabbed?

Time to play family feud with Richard Dawson as your host. "top five answers to the above question:
5)What problems?
4) EA has a customer support system now so they can assist you with any issues.
3) we are looking into it.
2) there will be a 2nd patch
1) " take the money and run"
"Good answer, good answer."
"Show me "take the money and run" "good old Steve Miller song by the way"
DING DING DING !!!

"Hey thanks for playing, you've been great, love you all. " "catch you next time a new release is announced, where the stake are higher and so is the price of the game."

[Avatar]

Oh my god! I fell off my chair when I saw that picture. It is the single most beautiful image I have ever seen.

None of what I am saying is sarcastic.

Low Sim Round, Tournament Conditions: -18, 54 @ PGA National.
Sim Holes In One: Banff Springs Hole # 2, Royal Troon Hole # 5, Royal Melbourne Hole # 3.

Wow, so they said there would be no "TIGER WOODS 15"...they didn't say there wouldn't be a game. So if they're working on it already, that must mean its just going to be titled kinda like NHL...ya know, PGA Tour 2015. But that screenshot looks fantastic...and it already looks like they have a good deal done on graphics...
I would love to see a "create a course" feature, where you design a course from the clubhouse out!

1- bring back the power boost button
2- realistic wind
3- sponsorship, that was neat.
4- more courses
5- please bring back McCord...with the witty banter between him a Feherty was classic! always cheered me up when I had a bad round going.
6- maybe a couple more fantasy courses...and not as DLC. Love the Predator, but its been the same since 04.
7- Wagers on shots...I had so much fun banking shots off the ruins at Greek Isles and onto the fairway!

Couple more tidbits that I didn't see skimming the discussion here...

Apparently, the Tiger Woods split means exactly that, a complete split. According to Darren Rovell:
To be clear, not only will Tiger not be on the cover and the game won't have his name, he won't be in the EA game at all.

So he won't even be IN the game.

Next bit of information that I thought was interesting was this quote from Tiger Woods' agent:

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9895265/tiger-woods-electronic-arts-end-15-year-relationship

Steinberg said he's in negotiations with another company regarding Woods' video game rights.

So...maybe that 2KLinks thing might have some legs...
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion
Go to: