[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
A note from SimCity Creative Director Ocean Quigley regarding online play  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

[Avatar]

Well, it would be $60, or $80, or in the case of my wife and I since I would have to pay for two 'seats' $160 for a game that lasts as long as 'who can say?'

What I can point to is the support EA/ Maxis gave to SimCity following SC: Rush Hour in terms of bug-fixes and product enhancements that helped the game survive to where it is still on the shelf at our local Bellingham, WA Wal-Mart.

"Sure, we'll be glad to take your money, just don't expect us to spend any of that money on keeping the game fresh more more than a few years after release as far as bug-fixes, a supportive website or any dialog with the fan-sites that are essentially doing our job for free."

This does not bode well for SC:MMO, in my opinion.

"I'm sure EA is very successful at monetizing games, but the more we don't do what they would do, the happier I am" --Notch

"Free men choose. Unfree men comply." John T. Reed

File this one under, "If the shoe fits..."
http://youtu.be/e-LE0ycgkBQ
[Email] [WWW]

I highly doubt this decision to require an online connection to the EA servers is really to do with "realism" (though I welcome the OPTION of multiplayer).

I'm starting to think that EA sees Simtropolis and the modding community as a LIABILITY. Why? Because with lots of mods, the potential for creating expansion packs and DLC greatly decreases! Think about it! I was at Simtropolis from the beginning. Users were finding files that were basically dormant in the game. Things like snow, for instance. These files were going to be activated at later expansion packs. From I remember, EA was planning to release a number of expansion packs - not just Rush Hour. So what happened? With the release of Rush Hour and the modding tools, people got really involved into creating mods and the need for expansion packs plummeted. Not only that, but it postponed the potential financial profitability for the next Sim City (well, that may have been their perception... ironically, despite us contantly asking for a new one).

Of course, EA also recognizes the modding community as an ASSET, seeing that it is a quite vibrant community that keeps the game going. But I wouldn't be surprised if mods were treated, behind the doors, more like liabilities.

In other words... the whole requirement for online connection to their servers is all about control. They want to have control over when the game begins and when it becomes obsolete. Perhaps they might also want control over mods, sort of like Apple controls which apps get into the store.

Anyways... my 2 cents...

[Avatar]

[quote=that_guy_4484]I highly doubt this decision to require an online connection to the EA servers is really to do with "realism" (though I welcome the OPTION of multiplayer).

I'm starting to think that EA sees Simtropolis and the modding community as a LIABILITY. Why? Because with lots of mods, the potential for creating expansion packs and DLC greatly decreases! Think about it! I was at Simtropolis from the beginning. Users were finding files that were basically dormant in the game. Things like snow, for instance. These files were going to be activated at later expansion packs. From I remember, EA was planning to release a number of expansion packs - not just Rush Hour. So what happened? With the release of Rush Hour and the modding tools, people got really involved into creating mods and the need for expansion packs plummeted. Not only that, but it postponed the potential financial profitability for the next Sim City (well, that may have been their perception... ironically, despite us contantly asking for a new one).

Of course, EA also recognizes the modding community as an ASSET, seeing that it is a quite vibrant community that keeps the game going. But I wouldn't be surprised if mods were treated, behind the doors, more like liabilities.

In other words... the whole requirement for online connection to their servers is all about control. They want to have control over when the game begins and when it becomes obsolete. Perhaps they might also want control over mods, sort of like Apple controls which apps get into the store.

Anyways... my 2 cents...[/quote]

I agree with you completely and that was what I think they are planning on doing to us. Because free items made by players means less $15 DLCs by EA. They will pretend they care about the modders, but will in the end throw them under the bus. Ever wonder how Maxis was going to allow mods for multiplayer? A cloud system could do that, but EA would make a fancy site for it, not use Simtropolis.

I hope you guys are ready for SimCity Societies 2: MMO Edition!!

If only a good company like Valve owned the Maxis franchise, I doubt anyone would be complaining then.
[WWW]

[Avatar]

Civ V does just fine with both mods and DLC from my point-of-view. You can not use mods with LAN or Multiplayer, though you can get player done mods by Steam just fine. You can use DLC with LAN or Multiplayer, presuming the other person has the same DLCs you purchased, and everything is just peachy-keen, just no mods so no hidden 'god mode' traps.

I have purchased all the available DLC content for Civ V TWICE because of my wife, and I intend to purchase the upcoming expansion pack TWICE because of my wife.

I'm not sure what plans Maxis has that will convince me how this all works with SC:MMO, but I sure hope they do a convincing song & dance at E3. So far, I'm not feelin' it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/2012 21:42:25

"I'm sure EA is very successful at monetizing games, but the more we don't do what they would do, the happier I am" --Notch

[Email] [WWW]

My internet isn't the best and it turns off unexpectedly or is slow sometimes so I won't be able to play this!Typical EA!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/07/2012 12:28:25

[Avatar]

[quote=heat33330]My internet isn't the best and it turns off unexpectedly or is slow sometimes so I won't be able to play this!Typical EA! [/quote]
Actually, every single interview that mentioned the online mode said that the games are saved asynchronously and that you can continue to play even if your internet connection or the servers go down intermittently. The phrasing was along the lines of "Your cities are saved asynchronously [which means that if you don't save when you are the only one online, the other players won't see it, like in Anno 2070] and if the connection between your computer and the servers is down [either your Internet connection or a server problem] for a certain interval, you can continue to play your game." So, hurray!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/07/2012 12:42:35

Always try your best.

[Avatar]

Yup. It's good (except for collateral griefing) until SC4 shows up on http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates in the list of "Online Services Shutdown".

Then it's not so good. I'm curious to see how Maxis explains at E3 that the online component is so spectacular that concerns for an "Online Services Shutdown" just don't matter and we don't need to worry about it.

[Email] [WWW]

[Avatar]

I would assume that they would patch the game for always offline if it ever comes to a point where the servers are shut down, like the patch in the original Cities XL.

Always try your best.

[Avatar]

Willing to bet $60 on it?

[Email] [WWW]

I agree with SSSSSPA,
I want a game to be played wether the company that made it is alive or not... Put a game dependent from EA servers is commercial suicide. We don't know how the future'll look like, but we know EA have no scruples on ending support to their product.

So, I want to be assured that I'll be able to play this, whether EA is supporting it or not, in order to buy it.
I'll not shoot my rounds on the dark...

I hope you clarify this issue better later.

[Avatar]

Focus Home Interactive is based near Paris, France.

France is in a great deal of trouble right now. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/05/06/f-vp-murray-europe-austerity.html is a tidy write-up on it.

I'm not clear to what extent CitiesXL depends upon Focus Home Interactive to function. My Steam server seems to handle the authentication that would otherwise require FHI in order for me to play the game.

If Steam goes, there will be a huge pressure to break the Steam DRM since the company would no longer exist and would affect so many games.

I have no idea what the future holds for EA Games or Origin. I can say I'm glad they are not based in France right now. But who knows what the future holds? Of course, if things go that bad I'm not sure lack of SimCity will be an issue. I will be too busy trying to avoid the 'festivities' people are enjoying in Europe right now.

But if EA/ Origin were based in, say, France or Greece... No, I don't want SimCity 5's gameplay tied to a server for gameplay itself.
[Email] [WWW]

Indeed, I would like it if possible they could allow others to run their own servers, or at least purchase server software so some 3rd parties can continue the games multiplayer service when EA decide to shove a stick up its *.

Along with that, single offline mode would be great, glad to hear that I should be able to play it for some of the time though with the asynchronous update system.

[Avatar]

I might even wager $80 if I had a stable source of income.

Always try your best.

Fine, I'll beat a dead horse, but ... trying AGAIN to reach the Dev/Exec teams "listening centers"....

----------

TBH, I could care less about "...well in the REAL world cities are connected so just deal with it" (para-phrased). I could also care less about "..oohh, global warming, green house gases, tea in china, etc..". Sure, great to factor in! But not to the point of pushing either some political point (Grrrrrr) or coding simplification with respect to solo-and-multi player enablement.

When I purchase a game, or a movie or whatever - I do so for MY entertainment value - I DON'T want to deal with "others" - unless I WANT to. The very reason we loved SimCity was the capability to let our OWN imagination run wild, not to have to deal with others or limited or even impacted by others.

The careful wording (which I HATE that kind of early spin) was: "intermittent" connection won't impact your play. (i.e. fault-tolerant connection is not the same as being able to play offline / solo / seperated from the world).

If ONLY Game developers and other entertainment industries would only LISTEN to what is being said by the target audience well PRIOR to a release of their product(s) - so many flops could be avoided:

Oh, say..... Societies? Lesson still not learned? There was a WEALTH of comments such as "Are you REALLY sure you want to do this? This appears to be a bad idea". We all screamed ahead of time "Nooooo!!" - but - it went ahead anyway.

Take for example the movie of John Carter. Plenty ahead of time saying "er.... the research / feeling doesn't pan this out as being successful" - but they did it anyway (sorta like building a castle in a swamp.... bah - long, relavant Monty Python skit - nm)

The POINT is:
Just as before, we're all saying: Nooooo!!! This does NOT sound good guys! LISTEN to the audience (this time!) and:

1. Make it DAMN clear that WE can "play" 100% solo WITHOUT being gimped - our imagination is OUR limit

2. or... simply state the Online requirement is purely for copy protection (I'm fine with that) - and that being online ALLOWS us - should be chose - to open up collaborative play for a NEW city (NOT gimping our old, solo play cities)

3. or... simply clearly state: No, you DON'T get to play 100% solo and YES - your neighbors ARE going to impact you. You just have to deal with it - it's "EA's" game built based on EA's desire alone - not actually based on what stupid forum fans are saying.

Obviously, I'm leaning just a tad away from option #3

I'm being rough, I know. But, with the last multi-year wait / slap-in-the-face result of Societies - then seeing the same trend starting all over - I SURE am not willing to pre-order. That requires a level of "trust" that's just not there, for obvious reasons (as noted above). My money is on waiting to see what REALLY happens before I "try again".

HIGH hopes, but this topic is lowering actual expectations

[Avatar]

I have no idea why they won't just add an offline single-player feature. Just do it, or else more people will pirate the game.

I hope you guys are ready for SimCity Societies 2: MMO Edition!!

If only a good company like Valve owned the Maxis franchise, I doubt anyone would be complaining then.
[WWW]
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: