[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Realism in Gameplay - its 2012  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

[Avatar]

>.> horrors of Spore crashing like crazy until patched.. 3gb crashes in Sims 3.. until patched. Several graphics and performance issues in Sims 3.. until patched.

SimCity 2013 = Like throwing your time and money into a fire.. the up side being EA has your money so you know it is being wasted

I'm more annoyed losing a year on this forum in the stupid pursuit of a game worth the name SimCity than losing $60+ to EA

[Avatar]

Well, the Sims 3 is not part of Maxis.

Always try your best.

[Avatar]

touché

SimCity 2013 = Like throwing your time and money into a fire.. the up side being EA has your money so you know it is being wasted

I'm more annoyed losing a year on this forum in the stupid pursuit of a game worth the name SimCity than losing $60+ to EA

Hi all

Managed to avoid SimSocieties because of the bad press but was a big fan of SimCity4. I've always been a bit frustrated by simulation games because they always held back from being truely interactive. Please see below some thoughts that might interest:

Sources of inspiration

Would love to see SimCity 5 with the attributes of the following best and challenging bits of the below games:

SimCity 4:

Best: structure and interaction between cities, trains (although limited), RCI, range of transport options (walking, car, bus, train, Rapid transport, aeroplane, ships).

Challenging: Goals very limited outside of building world of big cities. Food and finite resources never limited growth.

Cities XL:

Best: Graphics, 3D, curved routes, resources, trading resources between cities, global concept of interaction.

Challenging: No trains! Again limited goals outside building big cities.

Transport Tycoon/Transport Giant:

Best: raw materials / manufactoring input/outputs, building a transport network, historical depth building up from 1800's to 2050's (horse/sail to train, car, powered ships, aeroplanes, canal boats etc.), scenarios/task within the sandbox game play. Excellent control of trains, vehicles etc.

Challenging: No control of cities (thats where SimCity 4 wins out) and limited interaction beyond the map, fixed natural and manufactoring resources.

Total War: Empire

Best: resources/social/weapons to be researched as well as and development tree, combat simulation being another regulating feature, development of empires, single player, historical depth, political / trading / admin / negotiations / tax functions, building, nurtering and evolving individual characters for key roles and functions that have an impact on the game: (kings, politicians, generals, priests, scholars), internation between nations (alliances, protectorates, trading deals, war, gifts etc.).

Challenging: could not freely build cities.

Civilisation:

Best: Excellent research and development tree that unlocked the gameplay, historical depth, interation between different socities, editing functions.

Stronghold 1 and 2 as well as Stronghold Kingdoms:

Best: Economic and Warfare paths as well as sandpit, historical depth and involvement, care of citizens, defense and offensive considerations when designing a city, justice functions. Building castles and defensive structures that settlements were limited by. Excellent research and development trees in Stronghold Kingdoms as well as interaction with other players (but with good AI, factions could be included in the single player mode). Good heirarchy (villiage, hundred, county, region, country) for players to progress through, but should be able to be played in single player mode with good AI (Total War: Empires).

Challenging: no / very limited interations between towns and villages, poor AI.

Things I would like to see:

1) Ability to be played a different/sliding scale levels of interest: child, adult, simple or complex.

2) Single player with sandpit and tasks (may be a scenario function that starts as a training manual, but could lead to different challenges. Nice to have multiplayer but this should be a secondary priority as the AI should be good enough to challenge the single player. Please do not make this run only if you have connection to the internet, awful concept and very limiting!!

3) Different goals: Mayors to build the cities and manage politics (SimCity/Total War:Empires), Logistics to manage resources and transport (like Transport Giant), Generals to control and command warriors and armys (Total War:Empire), Techs/Scholars to research and develop (Civilisation/Total War:Empire), Administration of resources and services (SimCity4): utilities, environment, transport, emergency services, health and welfare, planning, treasury, political (factions within cities as well as external and competing neighbours).

4) Stronger role for resources (sustainable and unsustainable). Master and evolve agricultural, horticulture, animial breeding, forestry, biomas, solar, wind, PV, geothermic energy well as coal, iron (steel), sand, gravel (concrete), clay (bricks), radioative (nuclear energy/bombs). Would love to manage a forest, farm, ocean, grassland with all its functions to provide a sustainable living for sims.

5) Modification within the game. Design and build residential, industrical and commerical aspects as well as services, warriors, emergency service etc etc. would be excellent and make the unique to each players. Add food gardens to residential houses so they can become sustainable, redesign fire appliance to fight wildfires, different weapons systems to tanks or ships to stop piracy etc. Make parks and other green infrastructure into resources to produce timber etc.

6) Base the game on standardised measures. e.g. ISO containers or unit of measurement. Start with what a sim can carry, then a horse and cart, lorry, ship etc.

7) Fun as well as realistic. Bit of humour is always welcome.

8) Disasters and incidents. Abilitiy, as in SimCity4, to switch on and off disasters. Different incidents that text your designs and development e.g. structural fires, wildfires, hazmat, road traffic collisions, flooding, storm damage, riots, pandemics, droughts, snowstorms etc. Would make logistics and trading more interested as well as established new settlements.

9) Sims building up, researching and evolving skills and levels of skills: farmer, forester, firefighter, admin, worker, libarian, warrior, skilled labourer etc.

10) Future proofing to build on what works!

11) Different screen to do the following: Gameplay, planning and design (so you can try out new developments and designs then prioritise their construction to build in the gameplay view), adminstration, transport and logistics, taxation, research and development, warfare etc.

12) Factions and Competitors (single and mulitplayer) to be a feature of the advanced players. Factions: Eco, Fat Cats, Techs etc. Competitors: raiding parties, allanices, trading bodies etc.

13) Seasons, weather and climate - effects and impacts on seasonal changes such as limited periods for harvests, darkers nights etc. heavy rain and snow falls, droughts and decreases/increases in temperatures (wildfires, more energy for cooling/heating).

14) Mayor or National leader? Ability to manage at the appropiate scale for the most appropiate funcitions:

Settlement - Products, Resources, Employment
Village and Hamlet - Community
Town - Guildhalls to record skills / professions
City - international trading

Region and County's - groups of cities, towns, villages, hamlets and settlements
Nation - Defence, Taxation, leadership etc.

Conclusion - in essence EA/Maxis just have to put down the building blocks, framework and functions and players will use their imaginations to do the rest.

Cheers

Rib Ranger

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/07/2012 07:22:51

[Avatar]

First off, I have almost 80 posts and I joined on the first week of this forum opening and BB code still does not work, including quotes. Furthermore, the type of game that you look like you will enjoy is Anno 2070. I enjoy it and it has the majority of the features you want.
rib_ranger wrote:Hi all

[snip]

Sources of inspiration

Would love to see SimCity 5 with the attributes of the following best and challenging bits of the below games:

SimCity 4:

Best: structure and interaction between cities, trains (although limited), RCI, range of transport options (walking, car, bus, train, Rapid transport, aeroplane, ships).

Challenging: Goals very limited outside of building world of big cities. Food and finite resources never limited growth.

Cities XL:

Best: Graphics, 3D, curved routes, resources, trading resources between cities, global concept of interaction.

Challenging: No trains! Again limited goals outside building big cities.

Transport Tycoon/Transport Giant:

Best: raw materials / manufacturing input/outputs, building a transport network, historical depth building up from 1800's to 2050's (horse/sail to train, car, powered ships, aeroplanes, canal boats etc.), scenarios/task within the sandbox game play. Excellent control of trains, vehicles etc.

Challenging: No control of cities (thats where SimCity 4 wins out) and limited interaction beyond the map, fixed natural and manufacturing resources.

Total War: Empire

Best: resources/social/weapons to be researched as well as and development tree, combat simulation being another regulating feature, development of empires, single player, historical depth, political / trading / admin / negotiations / tax functions, building, nurtering and evolving individual characters for key roles and functions that have an impact on the game: (kings, politicians, generals, priests, scholars), internation between nations (alliances, protectorates, trading deals, war, gifts etc.).

Civilisation:

Best: Excellent research and development tree that unlocked the gameplay, historical depth, interaction between different socities, editing functions.

Stronghold 1 and 2 as well as Stronghold Kingdoms:

Best: Economic and Warfare paths as well as sandpit, historical depth and involvement, care of citizens, defense and offensive considerations when designing a city, justice functions. Building castles and defensive structures that settlements were limited by. Excellent research and development trees in Stronghold Kingdoms as well as interaction with other players (but with good AI, factions could be included in the single player mode). Good hierarchy (village, hundred, county, region, country) for players to progress through, but should be able to be played in single player mode with good AI (Total War: Empires).

Challenging: no / very limited interactions between towns and villages, poor AI.

Those are all good points raised but I think that the Anno series is closer to a city builder than Civilization. Furthermore, Cities XL has metro as well as hidden coding for trains, which is being worked on in the Network Expansion XL. Using your format I would rate Anno 2070 as following:

Best: Excellent research and development tree that unlocked the gameplay, rich and detailed world, interation between different players and factions, variety of different resources, 4 wealth levels, multiplayer politics

Challenging: low building diversity,

"Things I would like to see:

1) Ability to be played a different/sliding scale levels of interest: child, adult, simple or complex."

I think that the tutorial cities and offline mode should handle the beginners' levels.

2) Single player with sandpit and tasks (may be a scenario function that starts as a training manual, but could lead to different challenges. Nice to have multiplayer but this should be a secondary priority as the AI should be good enough to challenge the single player. Please do not make this run only if you have connection to the internet, awful concept and very limiting!!
A sandbox mode would be good but tasks would only be needed in the tutorial cities (and there should be several/many tutorial/campaign cities) but your sims can give you missions as well. I agree that there should be an offline mode with at least 3/4 the features as the online mode.

3) Different goals: Mayors to build the cities and manage politics (SimCity/Total War:Empires), Logistics to manage resources and transport (like Transport Giant), Generals to control and command warriors and armys (Total War:Empire), Techs/Scholars to research and develop (Civilisation/Total War:Empire), Administration of resources and services (SimCity4): utilities, environment, transport, emergency services, health and welfare, planning, treasury, political (factions within cities as well as external and competing neighbours).
War has no place in SimCity but I like most of the other topics mentioned here. If you want a city builder game with war, play a real time strategy game with both war and city building.

4) Stronger role for resources (sustainable and unsustainable). Master and evolve agricultural, horticulture, animal breeding, forestry, biomas, solar, wind, PV, geothermic energy well as coal, iron (steel), sand, gravel (concrete), clay (bricks), radiative (nuclear energy/bombs). Would love to manage a forest, farm, ocean, grassland with all its functions to provide a sustainable living for sims.
I think that resources are very important and I think that agriculture should be more developed with multiple types of foods (meat, veggies, dairy, eggs/poultry, algae, spices/herbs) and Anno 2070 is the game I bought because of that.

5) Modification within the game. Design and build residential, industrial and commercial aspects as well as services, warriors, emergency service etc etc. would be excellent and make the unique to each players. Add food gardens to residential houses so they can become sustainable, redesign fire appliance to fight wildfires, different weapons systems to tanks or ships to stop piracy etc. Make parks and other green infrastructure into resources to produce timber etc.
I think that the only modifications should be new, non-cheating buildings, even if they must go through an approval process. War has no place in SimCity but is better in Anno.

6) Base the game on standardised measures. e.g. ISO containers or unit of measurement. Start with what a sim can carry, then a horse and cart, lorry, ship etc.

7) Fun as well as realistic. Bit of humour is always welcome.

8) Disasters and incidents. Ability, as in SimCity4, to switch on and off disasters. Different incidents that text your designs and development e.g. structural fires, wildfires, hazmat, road traffic collisions, flooding, storm damage, riots, pandemics, droughts, snowstorms etc. Would make logistics and trading more interested as well as established new settlements.
Agreed.

9) Sims building up, researching and evolving skills and levels of skills: farmer, forester, firefighter, admin, worker, librarian, warrior, skilled labourer etc.
Not possible in Glass Box.

10) Future proofing to build on what works!
Agreed

11) Different screen to do the following: Gameplay, planning and design (so you can try out new developments and designs then prioritise their construction to build in the gameplay view), administration, transport and logistics, taxation, research and development, warfare etc.

12) Factions and Competitors (single and mulitplayer) to be a feature of the advanced players. Factions: Eco, Tycoons, Techs etc. Competitors: raiding parties, allanices, trading bodies etc.
There will be special interest groups but I really think you should play Anno 2070.

13) Seasons, weather and climate - effects and impacts on seasonal changes such as limited periods for harvests, darkers nights etc. heavy rain and snow falls, droughts and decreases/increases in temperatures (wildfires, more energy for cooling/heating).

14) Mayor or National leader? Ability to manage at the appropriate scale for the most appropriate functions:
Seeing as standard city sizes are 2x2 km here is my proposal
Small City - Products, Resources, Employment, Community
Port City - international trading
Regional Governer: Regional Taxes, laws, and control.

Conclusion - in essence EA/Maxis just have to put down the building blocks, framework and functions and players will use their imaginations to do the rest.

Cheers

Rib Ranger

You raise some good points there but some of your suggestions do not belong in SimCity and have already been implemented in Anno 2070 which is sometimes on sale.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/09/2012 14:16:18

[Avatar]

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/07/2012 17:29:26

Oh wow, that looks pretty awesome.

SC4 MP in a few easy steps -

1. Get Dropbox, or filesharing equivalent.
2. Add "-UserDir:"<Dropbox Folder location>" To the target like in the shortcut properties.
3. Play the game, all new region files will be linked to that folder.

Graphics aside, I for one cannot wait for this game to come out. I think graphics come secondary to gameplay, perforance and stability. SC4 continues to crash on me and I've tried everything. Cities XL 2012 whilst the most stable game in that series gets extremely boring...

So as long as this game is STABLE and FUN graphics are by far unimportant - it's obviously going to be 3D and judging from the concept art and previous titles such as The Sims 2 and SC Societies I think we can be sure it's gonna be far from 8 bit graphics!!

Yah I know what u mean but bit childish graphics can be a disandvantage too
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: