[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Changing language of Origin has no effect on the store language  XML
Origin  > Bugs and Issues

Hi,

changed the Origin language from German to English.
Unfortunately (even after restart of Origin) the store language stayed in German.

Is this expected?

Pantheara

YES. It's incredibly neglectful by EA. The STORE localises by IP address. So if you are in Germany, your STORE will be in German - even if you cannot read German.

EA expect people to stay in their countries of origin or be able to read every language.
They fail to realise that people work in foreign countries all over the world.

I am a Brit in Thailand. The EA store localises to Thai.
I do not understand the forms in Thai in order to make payment and I do not want a Thai localised game.

They do not realise how many people in Europe move all over. In every EU country, you have people who speak numerous languages. What will a German do in France? What will a Polish gamer do in Spain? What will a Brazilian do in the UK? What will a British do in Portugal? How are these people expected to read the terms of agreement, fill in the forms for payment and expect a game that they can understand?

If EA truly want Origin to succeed on any level then you need to consider your GLOBAL clientele.
You should not localise the language of the store based on IP regardless of the language and nationality of your client.

Change the way your store language preference works or you will lose every foreign expats purchase around the world interested in your games.

Also realise expats carry cards from their homelands, so restricting card details to just the IP addresses' country is just another hindrance that will lose you money. I should be able to use my UK VISA card, which is billed to my current Thai address.This is precisely the reason I won't buy/haven't bought a game at the EA store.

Bump, this is gently caressing stupid

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/22/2011 18:01:42

According to a customer support person, they are aware of the problem (they should do , it's been around since before 2009) and they're working on a fix.

So we'll see if the Origin store as I was now informed it should be called, will get this problem resolved.

This is irritating me like hell also, I will not even consider using Origin till this does get changed.
Atleast with steam I can decide what language I want the store to be in.

I am in France myself for my work and I get forced to use a French store... just give English please.

Still not fixed!!

They've known about this issue since 'at least' 2009. They're in no rush to fix it.

Since google translate doesn't seem to work with the site, I will post a workaround for those who use Mozilla's FIrefox web-browser.

If you install the extension, "Google Translator for Firefox", you can individually highlight text and translate it with a right click menu option and it will instantly change what you've selected into the default language you set - in my case, English. This allowed me to read the in game descriptions, find out what bonuses were included, see that they were US editions and complete the checkout process.

The extension doesn't work well with paragraphs, so you have to translate one sentence or field at a time.

I've pre-ordered Battlefield 3 (US Edition) and Mass Effect 3 (US Edition) this way. Good luck to those still having trouble, hope I could help some of you.

Being an American military member stationed in Italy, I will not use any product that is not in English (your web store), or buy any product with my American credit card that's priced in Euro.

DragonAge_2862344 wrote:Being an American military member stationed in Italy, I will not use any product that is not in English (your web store), or buy any product with my American credit card that's priced in Euro.

I'm in * Maarten, formerly part of the Netherlands Antilles which is in the caribbean. Now everyone speaks English yet the default store language is German and they want us to pay in Euros when our defacto currency is US dollars. If EA seriously want to take on Steam they need to get their act together FAST. There's a HUGE number of Battlefield/Mass Effect fans in the Caribbean and if EA doesn't get Origin working right and screws with Steam getting these games they WILL loose those customers as PC games aren't sold in retail as much as console.

Youngsalo wrote:
DragonAge_2862344 wrote:Being an American military member stationed in Italy, I will not use any product that is not in English (your web store), or buy any product with my American credit card that's priced in Euro.

I'm in * Maarten, formerly part of the Netherlands Antilles which is in the caribbean. Now everyone speaks English yet the default store language is German and they want us to pay in Euros when our defacto currency is US dollars. If EA seriously want to take on Steam they need to get their act together FAST. There's a HUGE number of Battlefield/Mass Effect fans in the Caribbean and if EA doesn't get Origin working right and screws with Steam getting these games they WILL loose those customers as PC games aren't sold in retail as much as console.

The same problem affects Latin America, even US dollars would be the best and logical option beside local currencies, we are sent to the Spanish site and the prices are in euros.
So no way we could buy or preorder any game, if there were the chance to preorder Battlefield 3, SWToR or Mass Effect 3 Deluxe digital edition on Steam I would not be affected ( and I guess a lot of us neither since it seems those games are what more people are atraacting) but since EA is not releasing those games or at least those version on Steam we are unable to buy them.

Anyway this thread http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5559290.page was started around 3 months ago, we only got some hollow promises about they "working" to fix that, but time is running and patience is getting thinner

"Anyway this thread http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5559290.page was started around 3 months ago, we only got some hollow promises about they "working" to fix that, but time is running and patience is getting thinner"

And they removed that thread, too much negative publicity for such a newly launched application.

I do not care what you charge other countries, But as a said before there are thousands of U.S. military members stationed overseas.

Improving your chance of business with them (and showing you care about the military), would be removing the IP detection and automatic language filter, and charging by origin of credit card instead of region, hence who ever has American credit/debit cards, charge in USD.

It's not rocket science.

They have not removed it just merged with another thread about the same issue

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5620059.page

I live in Denmark, and danish language really sucks when your talking about computers and games, because im used to english whenever i talk about computers and such.

Everything on my pc is english, because i cant stand the danish translations.
i cant give you any examples that you would understand, but its a general problem, because the danish language has so few words, and when we danes talk to each other about games, we use all the english words we can, ingame,units,chat,headshot etc. We do not translate every single word into danish, we use a mix. Even steam in danish is frustrating, but there you have a choice to change 100% of the client into English.

and thats why i uninstalled Origin and sticking to steam until Origin has gotten some more experience.
another reason i uninstalled Origin, is that In Game Feature, is useless, at least for me, i wanted to see what time it was without minimizing my game, but the In Game feature doenst show time, steam overlay does that.

Make ppl choose their preferred language in the store too, and add some usefull features, and i might return to you, afterall most games at EA Store is cheaper than buying them on steam, but right now, im willing pay a little extra for a better service and GUI.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/21/2011 04:04:02

It's still not fixed.

What the hell do they expect me to do with a French Battlefield? This is why people like Steam, it's not useless.

Same problem here.
I am in austria and can only buy the german versions.
As long as this does not change i will not use origin,since i have no use for games in german.
I have no problem buying english games on steam, cant be that hard to fix.

And btw, this is not just a problem for people that work in foreign countries, lots of people do not like to play translations, because they are never as good as the original.
Also,hearing for example a US marines talk german is just weird.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 07/22/2011 20:43:47

Origin  > Bugs and Issues
Go to: