[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
How can I backup my game?  XML
Origin  > Bugs and Issues

Hello again.
I finished downloading Crysis 2 (finally ) and now I have some questions:

1) How can I backup the installator of Crysis 2?
When searching how to do it, I found this:

But, whe n I click in it, it takes me to this file:

And it's only 20k....
I wanna know where is the real installator? And if this is the real instalator, how can I install the game, if my compute doesn't even recognize this tipe of arquive?

2) Is it true that I can only download my games until it completes "one year old"?

Thanks for the help guys.
I'm really desperate to backup my game, so I don't have to download it again later.
Thanks!

I was needing to backup my Crysis2 game too. My game isn't completely downloaded but its at 50% and the installer appears to be here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Crysis(R) 2\__Installer\DISK1 If I was going to launch it from origin in the future, I would copy the entire folder "Origin Games" and if they are any games in there that you don't want to copy just copy your "Crysis(R) 2" folder and put it in a new folder named "Origin Games". To restore your backup i would try just copying that folder back to the same place it was. I have not tried this method or even had any experience with Origin but that appears to be a way to backup. I will try this method for myself possibly tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks for replying, but there's just one problem:

The Origin games folder is empty

Well, That sucks. You might just have to download it again :/. If you can play Crysis 2 on your PC it has to be somewhere on your hdd or in removable media (most likely on your hdd going by you downloaded it with Origin). I would try looking in places that it might be like program files, program files(x86) (if you use a x64 OS), ProgramData (Its a hidden folder located at C:\ProgramData ), and I would check in the my documents folder and anywhere else that it might be installed. Let my know if you have any questions.

Well, maybe I found a provisory solution:

GO to Xrogram FIles (x86)/Eletronic Arts/Crysis 2

Copy it all to (in my ccase) External HD.

If you notive, inside this folder, there's a folder named ___Install, and inside this there's a folder called DISK1.
Copying the whole folder, next time tou want to install, just paste it inside the Eletronic Arts folder and then, you got two options:

1) you can install the game running the setup inside it
2) YOu can install it directly from origin (just press Install)

Hope that works!

*Obs: Sorry for some English errors, I'm from Brazil!

AsfaeksBR thanks for the post, was very usefull and almost I can re-install succesfully a game

Developer
[Avatar]

In regards to making a backup copy of your games here's a workaround for moving your downloaded/installed game to another computer:

1. Allow Origin to fully download and install your game.

2. Copy the entire game directory (Example Battlefield Bad Company™ 2 Digital Deluxe Edition is 8.33 GB).
Now you have basically three options. A: Transfer these files to the other computer over your home network. B: Transfer to a USB key that has enough space then transfer to the other computer. C: Burn files onto a dual layer DVD (This option requires a special drive and space is limited so you may need to span the files across two discs).

3. Once the files are on the other computer in the directory where you normally install your games, navigate to the directory called ""__Installer\DISK1"".

4. Find the EASetup.exe file and run it.
Running this file will create the proper registry keys you need for the game to be detected and launch properly from Origin.

Let us know if this information was helpful.
The Origin Live Support Team

The Origin Live Operations Team

In regards to making a backup copy of your games here's a workaround for moving your downloaded/installed game to another computer:

2. Copy the entire game directory (Example Battlefield Bad Company™ 2 Digital Deluxe Edition is 8.33 GB).
Now you have basically three options. A: Transfer these files to the other computer over your home network. B: Transfer to a USB key that has enough space then transfer to the other computer. C: Burn files onto a dual layer DVD (This option requires a special drive and space is limited so you may need to span the files across two discs).

3. Once the files are on the other computer in the directory where you normally install your games, navigate to the directory called ""__Installer\DISK1"".

Running this file will create the proper registry keys you need for the game to be detected and launch properly from Origin.

Let me add this, which may be obvious for some people but I wasn't aware of:

Backedup game directory has to be the same the EASetup.exe/AutoRun.exe installer targets to. I downloaded Mirror's Edge using the old EA Download Manager, and created a .zip file of the C:\Program Files(x86)\EA Games\Mirror's Edge™ directory. When recovering, I have to point the game installer to the same place I uncompress the game to. Also, "Downloaded Games" path option under EA Download Manager/Origin settings has to point there too.

I say this because Mirror's Edge defaults installation to C:\Program Files(x86)\EA Games, which is the old EA Download Manager path, different from the new Origin Manager one: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games. So, either change the installer path target to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games (recommended if using Origin), or keep the default C:\Program Files(x86)\EA Games and point Origin settings->"Downloaded Games" there.

If this is not done, the game can still run through Mirror's Edge™\Binaries\MirrorsEdge.exe, but it won't be visible by Origin. Plus, the Pure Time Trials Map Pack DLC can't be installed, as it starts whining "This patch is not compatible with the STEAM version of mirror's edge", even though of course I had the EA version installed.

@EA_NinotheRobot
You know what? All of these methods suck EA Download Manager, now Origin, has been available for a very long time now and it's ubelievable to me that it still doesn't support a normal backup system like Steam. Shame on you, EA developers. I've got 2 mbps internet and OK, I can download a 20 GB game once, but I can't imagine downloading it again every time I want to play. It's sick. And NO, I won't keep it on HDD, because my HDD's to small to practice such behaviour. In Steam, in such condition, I click Steam->Make a backup and it prepares for me a normal backup, it uses compression to lower the size of it and eventually I've got folder/folders ready to burn onto a CD/DVD. When I want to restore it, I just put the DVD and install it like any other Steam game - no problem at all. I can divide 20 GB game onto 4/5 DVDs, or 2 DVD DLs, that's not a problem at all.

What about Origin? I can do nothing but some unsupported methods of backup. I don't know your politics, but it's idiotic. I won't buy any other game via EA Store until you add backup feature.

End of line.

EA_NinotheRobot wrote:In regards to making a backup copy of your games here's a workaround for moving your downloaded/installed game to another computer:

This method worked mostly great for me. I tried this method with Alice: Madness Returns and I can play the game from outside Origin, and Origin recognizes that the game is on the computer. However, whenever I try and start the game from Origin, I get the following error:
"Failed to find default engine .ini file to retrieve My Documents subdirectory to use. Force Quitting."
And then it quits.
How do I fix this?

So I hear you like game reviews.
http://www.fragthenoob.com/
[WWW]

So I tried this method for Mass Effect 2. The problem is I cannot install DLC content and it says it needs to install of Origin. But the problem is it will not install on Origin. Whats going on?

I tried this method for Dead Space 2 and the game shows up on Origin as "Ready to be installed" but when I click on it, it shows installing for like 2-3 seconds and the game shows up as "ready to be installed". I don't understand what else I need to do.

I copied the entire folder from Origin Games/Dead Space 2 from the original computer to the target computer in the same directory Origin Games/Dead Space 2. I ran EASetup.exe from _Installer/DISK1 folder.

Then I tried running the exe and activated the game and it runs well but Origin still doesn't see it as installed... it keeps showing up "Ready to be Installed".

I would appreciate any help here...

Siventus wrote:@EA_NinotheRobot
You know what? All of these methods suck EA Download Manager, now Origin, has been available for a very long time now and it's ubelievable to me that it still doesn't support a normal backup system like Steam. Shame on you, EA developers. I've got 2 mbps internet and OK, I can download a 20 GB game once, but I can't imagine downloading it again every time I want to play. It's sick. And NO, I won't keep it on HDD, because my HDD's to small to practice such behaviour. In Steam, in such condition, I click Steam->Make a backup and it prepares for me a normal backup, it uses compression to lower the size of it and eventually I've got folder/folders ready to burn onto a CD/DVD. When I want to restore it, I just put the DVD and install it like any other Steam game - no problem at all. I can divide 20 GB game onto 4/5 DVDs, or 2 DVD DLs, that's not a problem at all.

What about Origin? I can do nothing but some unsupported methods of backup. I don't know your politics, but it's idiotic. I won't buy any other game via EA Store until you add backup feature.

End of line.

I agree with this to a large degree. My experience with STEAM was very satisfying, as I was able to backup Team Fortress 2 to my NAS then restore it to multiple computers without missing a beat. I have a pathetically slow Internet Link, and have give up trying to get the BF3 beta from my 400kbs link - it will take 2-3 days to get it, if it comes down at all.

My brother has the Beta working, and I'm looking for a painless way to create a copy if his BF3 onto a USB HDD.

It would be greatly appreciated if the Origin Developers gave Backup/Restore some attention as this will be requested again and again from the Gaming Community into the future.

VVingnut

Siventus wrote:@EA_NinotheRobot
You know what? All of these methods suck EA Download Manager, now Origin, has been available for a very long time now and it's ubelievable to me that it still doesn't support a normal backup system like Steam.

and months later it STILL doesn't, AND you have to use it to get battlefield3.
You really should add basical functionality to a download manager before you force people to use it.

There is no setup.exe in my _Installer folder after I installed the game. I have the checkbox ticked for "keep installers" but it seems to be a placebo.

All I have in that folder are Cleanup.exe and Touchup.exe. This is for Battlefield 3, by the way. What gives, EA?
Origin  > Bugs and Issues
Go to: