[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Alice madness returns umbrella bug  XML
Answers HQ - Questions & Comments  > EA Forums General Discussion

I have the bug that everyone has and I used the fix going into file and changing it to G but now my focus (only under caps lock) doesnt work no matter what, I changed all the files back to normal and it still wont work and to top it off the umbrella worked once and thats it. When is there going to be a patch for this? or if there is a quick fix to this bug I would appericate it.

Developer
[Avatar]

This is a known issue and we know about as much about it as you do.

See thread here:

http://www.americanmcgee.com/forum/index.php?topic=2876.0

We have forwarded this info to the Game Dev team but there is no news currently of a patch.

We're working on a 'known issues' announcement thread for Alice and as soon as we have anything to tell, we'll post it there.

Thanks,

EA_MikeNoface
Origin Live Support

I have been unable to play the game since the 15th, only a few hours into the game, due to the umbrella bug. The workaround suggested by another player did not work.

Less than 3 hours in to the game this happens, absolutely no way around it, and no mention of a patch a week later? Why is there a link to a 3rd party website, of a thread that used to be on the EA forums?

Just got there. Not working either. I feel your pain, longleggedbeasty...I was so excited about this coming out.

EA_mikenoface wrote:This is a known issue and we know about as much about it as you do.

See thread here:

http://www.americanmcgee.com/forum/index.php?topic=2876.0

We have forwarded this info to the Game Dev team but there is no news currently of a patch.

We're working on a 'known issues' announcement thread for Alice and as soon as we have anything to tell, we'll post it there.

Thanks,

...hey all... I've had the same umbrella problem too... my umbrella won't open to be able to use it against the Menacing Ruin creature at all... I managed to kill the creature regardless to move on into the next stage of the game... here is a link to my post on the American McGee site on how I managed to do it...

http://www.americanmcgee.com/forum/index.php?topic=2876.msg167813#msg167813

...it worked for me... I hope that it helps you out too... cheers... ULNSticky.

I have the same problem, just submitted a support email to EA.

I don't understand why we have to lock on to use the block in the first place, why not let us use a button to block at anytime without the stupid lock-on?

PS. Also lots of people over on Steam having the same problem, sorry Origin

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 06/26/2011 10:58:17

I am also having the umbrella problem, and I tried changing the default key to 'G' in the config file, and I saved it. When opening the config file, it reflects the change, but in game, if I reset key bindings to default, the umbrella key changes back to E, even though the file says default is 'G'.

I hope they solve this soon.

Developer
[Avatar]

Hi all,

NoFace and I mainly troubleshoot issues concerning Origin in this forum. For gameplay specific issues, you can try contacting our Customer Experience Team at support.ea.com or the Alice:MR game developers directly at http://www.spicyhorse.com/home.html .

Thanks,
The Origin Live Support Team

The Origin Live Operations Team

I found that I have to press "E" while pressing "Caps Lock" at the same time.

The phrase is [use the umbrella while "Focused"]

As this is the first time to be asked to press the caps lock button continously, I kinda misunderstood the meaning.

..moonblade

@Origin:

I already contacted them. They had no love for me. They told me to come here to watch for updates or work-arounds.

I have found solution for this ( it works for me )

Go to ...Alice2/AliceGame/Config
Open - DefaultControlLayout.ini

Now change line in :
KeyBindArray2=(Name="E",Command="Use | push|PickUpActor | QuitFPS|SwitchWeaponGroup")
to:
KeyBindArray2=(Name="M",Command="Use | push|PickUpActor | QuitFPS|SwitchWeaponGroup")

Now open:
DefaultInput.ini

Change :
+Bindings=(Name="G",Command="TriggerBlock true | OnRelease TriggerBlock false")
to
+Bindings=(Name="E",Command="TriggerBlock true | OnRelease TriggerBlock false")

Open game change configuration to default. And play

I think I've found the definitive solution.
It also fixes the "won't stomp" (giant alice) and "won't fire cannon on hms gryphon" as well.

The problem is that some lines in the INI files are (obviously) bad formatted and some of them ended with ' ")' while they should have ended with '")'.
Mind the extra space before the last quotation mark.

However, contrary to popular beilief , the wrong lines are NOT the lines mapping the failing commands (e.g. the "E" for the umbrella block)... but are the lines leading those ones!!!
This, I don't know why, complitely fu**d up the mapping not of the erroneous lines, but that of the line immediately following!

So, the simple solution was to use "find-replace" in notepad and substitute all the ' ")' with '")' in the DefaultControlLayout.ini, DefaultInput.ini, AliceControlLayout.ini and AliceInput.ini files... which took about 2 minutes (plus taxes) in all.
I've found two or three occurrencies of the error.

Try it and let me know.

[Avatar]

Is a pity.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/14/2011 04:06:26

[Email] [WWW]

Thanks TheNiteFlyer!!! This is the only solution that worked for me. It's amazing what an extra space character can do to poorly written parsing logic. I was just about to uninstall the game when I came across your solution.

Thanks again!!

TheNiteFlyer wrote:I think I've found the definitive solution.
It also fixes the "won't stomp" (giant alice) and "won't fire cannon on hms gryphon" as well.

The problem is that some lines in the INI files are (obviously) bad formatted and some of them ended with ' ")' while they should have ended with '")'.
Mind the extra space before the last quotation mark.

However, contrary to popular beilief , the wrong lines are NOT the lines mapping the failing commands (e.g. the "E" for the umbrella block)... but are the lines leading those ones!!!
This, I don't know why, complitely fu**d up the mapping not of the erroneous lines, but that of the line immediately following!

So, the simple solution was to use "find-replace" in notepad and substitute all the ' ")' with '")' in the DefaultControlLayout.ini, DefaultInput.ini, AliceControlLayout.ini and AliceInput.ini files... which took about 2 minutes (plus taxes) in all.
I've found two or three occurrencies of the error.

Try it and let me know.

I've opened all four .ini files you mentioned and can't find the error you listed. All lines end with ") which has no spaces in it. My copy was downloaded from Origin so maybe it was different than the CD/DVD version.

Answers HQ - Questions & Comments  > EA Forums General Discussion
Go to: