[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Do we want UNINTENTIONAL contacts physics in EA hockey?  XML
NHL Series  > NHL® Series General Discussion
Poll
Do U want UNINTENTIONAL contacts in a game?
YES 93% [ 263 ]
NO 5% [ 13 ]
Im not sure 3% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 284

[Avatar]

MartindalexC wrote:Who voted no? Rammer was that you?

OMFG!!! ROFLMAO!!! I almost spit my beer out. That is f-ing hilarious

The poster formerly known as sjcup09

[Avatar]

SLASH_IS_G0D wrote:

I always forget about this video. Nothing worse than lining up a perfect hit but a forward nudges him by you. Force field animations as a whole need to go.

[WWW]

[Avatar]

I'm really tired of people showing 2K clips on the forums! They just look so awesome sometimes. I think I'm going to go buy it, RIGHT NOW!

As for,
oSUPAHSTARo wrote:
SLASH_IS_G0D wrote:Yes. Yes! YES! I remember that EA posted a video about multiple players colliding in NHL 12, but that was never implemented? :o

EDIT: Yea, found it.

Why cant I turn off "Disable BB Code in this message"??

Thats a pretty decent collision honestly. Such a shame it wasn't implemented.

It was implemented, it's just not what we thought it was when they showed the clip. In the clip it LOOKED like both Kings players collided with each other when in fact the player coming in from the left hit the Columbus player who hit the second Kings player (Smith). This still happens in the game. "3-way" collisions are still there.

[WWW]

[Avatar]

The game "could" become unplayable with full contact physics....I agree. But that is why it is on EA to develop it correctly so that both things work in harmony.

You have to realize that even though a contact happens, it does not have to be an earth shattering collision. Think about it like the "tie-up" feature added to NHL 12, it does not lay a person to the ground, it requires you to be in the right position, and let the other player come to the area you have settled in.

That new feature is not perfect, but I think it is something EA did very well for NHL 12, and it is effective. We're basically asking for that type of contact to be able to be made on figure skaters who only go in circles. A constant pushing force that helps make the game more realistic, and, IMO, fun for everyone.

[Avatar]

Wanted for 245 wrote:I'm really tired of people showing 2K clips on the forums! They just look so awesome sometimes. I think I'm going to go buy it, RIGHT NOW!

As for,
oSUPAHSTARo wrote:
SLASH_IS_G0D wrote:Yes. Yes! YES! I remember that EA posted a video about multiple players colliding in NHL 12, but that was never implemented? :o

EDIT: Yea, found it.

Why cant I turn off "Disable BB Code in this message"??

Thats a pretty decent collision honestly. Such a shame it wasn't implemented.

It was implemented, it's just not what we thought it was when they showed the clip. In the clip it LOOKED like both Kings players collided with each other when in fact the player coming in from the left hit the Columbus player who hit the second Kings player (Smith). This still happens in the game. "3-way" collisions are still there.

I have never seen anything like this in the game....ever.

[WWW]

[Avatar]

I haven't read the entire thread but I agree, this should be implemented. I wish 2k and EA would get together to make a hockey game, they each have their own weakness' and strong points.

I honestly think this whole "real time physics" thing is completely overrated and doesn't work right. Not really EA's fault, I just think the technology is advanced enough to get it just "right" yet, especially in a hockey game with so many probabilities. In NHL 12 I still see FAARRR more "odd" looking hits in comparison to "realistic" hockey hits. Sometimes it looks like players are getting shot on the ice instead of receiving a hit, those hits in the 2k videos look infinitely more realistic than anything I've seen in EA's NHL hockey series. Goalie collisions look so odd and glitchy in EA's NHL, as a matter of fact everything around the net looks completely unnatural. NHL 2k does have some nice looking animations but they have some horrid ones as well, I couldn't stand that skating engine (Not that EA's is THAT much better). If 2k really took the time to rebuild and REALLY focus on making a AAA hockey title I think we'd all be in for a really nice treat. It's a shame they stopped making titles.

Anyways, long story short, I prefer the old canned animations as opposed to this new real time physics engine. I know they've worked long and hard on it, I just don't think it's improved the game in any way that I can tell. At least the canned animations looked natural.

I can't see it working out, to be honest. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to see something changed regarding this. It irks me right now that when we break out of our zone, if the other team has an AI center, he's programmed to skate into my chest and hold me behind the play. That's interference. And users do this on purpose too to keep you away from a dump-in while the teammate picks it up. That's also interference.

Unfortunately I don't think the game engine could handle it. There's already points where I get cross checked in the back and get called for roughing. Hell, the other day I got called for goaltender interference while on a PENALTY SHOT. I scored a clean goal, never touched the goalie, it didn't count, and I was tossed in the box. I've had that happen on breakaways before, but never an actual penalty shot. Sorry, that's tangental, what I mean is that the game engine seems to already have trouble with the way bodies interact already, and I think implementing more contact physics before it's feasible is going to cause a lot of problems.

I guess what I'd like to see is them fixing the way collisions happen now. I don't mind a guy holding onto the puck from a glancing hit, I'm talking about those weird moments where you go to hit a guy and the game just doesn't cooperate. The bubble effect, where you make the motion of checking but there's no contact. I think there are ways the game could be improved, if not outright fixed, without trying to implement full contact physics like this.

I really like hockey, and I really want the game based on my favorite sport to be as good as it can be. If that offends you because you really like scoring stupid goals or hitting guys and making them spin on their heads, I'm very sorry.

[Avatar]

MN28man9 wrote:The game "could" become unplayable with full contact physics....I agree.

how? its in the 2k games and it plays just fine. The only people this becomes unplayable for are the player who are not playing "hockey" and are running through a crowd of people.

The poster formerly known as sjcup09

[Avatar]

They might not need a full physics engine if they could somehow figure out what the effectiveness of the attributes (while they still make money off it, of course). As some of you may have seen, a couple of weeks ago I helped organize some 6v6 games where everyone used default attributes (to speed up the game a little bit, we eventually added +10 to everyone's speed/acceleration/agility/endurance)... now, while I'm not saying this is how the game should be, the general consensus was that everyone loved the REALISM of the game more with default attributes. When players start obtaining better cards and more boosts, you start to see some absolutely ridiculous things that you literally do not ever see when everyone is using default attributes... we couldn't hold onto the puck and skate into people, we couldn't get cross-crease passes through with ease - not only that, but passing was actually a challenge. You actually needed to AIM, rather than point the stick in the general direction you wanted to pass to and let your "99" passing attribute do the rest. It's a shame that the game was more enjoyable this way - but it just shows that something definitely needs to be addressed when it comes to the overall effectiveness of attributes.

"The fastest thumbs in the state of New York"~bushanie
"When in doubt, I whip it out"~AdamW
"When you Hump the player, you gain an UNFAIR advantage"~B1otter
"my rank 12 best glitcher and player cause sju plays legit which takes no skill"~Crosby87

[Avatar]

vigilanteiceman wrote:I can't see it working out, to be honest. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to see something changed regarding this. It irks me right now that when we break out of our zone, if the other team has an AI center, he's programmed to skate into my chest and hold me behind the play. That's interference. And users do this on purpose too to keep you away from a dump-in while the teammate picks it up. That's also interference.

Unfortunately I don't think the game engine could handle it. There's already points where I get cross checked in the back and get called for roughing. Hell, the other day I got called for goaltender interference while on a PENALTY SHOT. I scored a clean goal, never touched the goalie, it didn't count, and I was tossed in the box. I've had that happen on breakaways before, but never an actual penalty shot. Sorry, that's tangental, what I mean is that the game engine seems to already have trouble with the way bodies interact already, and I think implementing more contact physics before it's feasible is going to cause a lot of problems.

I guess what I'd like to see is them fixing the way collisions happen now. I don't mind a guy holding onto the puck from a glancing hit, I'm talking about those weird moments where you go to hit a guy and the game just doesn't cooperate. The bubble effect, where you make the motion of checking but there's no contact. I think there are ways the game could be improved, if not outright fixed, without trying to implement full contact physics like this.

I really think the game engine is holding this series back. It's an "arcade" engine at heart that they're slowly working and tweaking it to act like a "sim" when truth be told this game using this engine could never and will never be a legitimate hockey simulation unless massive changes are made to the game. We're a long ways away from this happening though. A few sliders and adjustments are the only thing keeping this game away from being a full blown arcade experience.

That's just my perspective though.

[Avatar]

Matt York wrote:
I really think the game engine is holding this series back. It's an "arcade" engine at heart that they're slowly working and tweaking it to act like a "sim" when truth be told this game using this engine could never and will never be a legitimate hockey simulation unless massive changes are made to the game. We're a long ways away from this happening though. A few sliders and adjustments are the only thing keeping this game away from being a full blown arcade experience.

That's just my perspective though.

I share this perspective as well. One day the game will change.

[WWW]

Wow 2K'S Engine is years ahead of EA's and it was made 3 years ago.

how is that possible??

[Avatar]

[quote=me3_087BC968C]Wow 2K'S Engine is years ahead of EA's and it was made 3 years ago.

how is that possible??[/quote]

Better question, is 2k's game animation based or physics based? I'm certain it's animation. If that is the case, that doesn't make 2k ahead of ea. Just means they had better animations in some situations. With animation based, there's a much less likeliness of weird occurances. With physics based(especially an in complete engine), has more ways for a weird looking movement to occur.

I think people need to wait for the completed physics engine in NHL 13 before they start making comparisons. Once the game is fully real time physics based, there theoretically should be less "wtf" moments as there will be less or no conflicts happening between animations and physics.

[Avatar]

SJUSoccer9 wrote:They might not need a full physics engine if they could somehow figure out what the effectiveness of the attributes (while they still make money off it, of course). As some of you may have seen, a couple of weeks ago I helped organize some 6v6 games where everyone used default attributes (to speed up the game a little bit, we eventually added +10 to everyone's speed/acceleration/agility/endurance)... now, while I'm not saying this is how the game should be, the general consensus was that everyone loved the REALISM of the game more with default attributes. When players start obtaining better cards and more boosts, you start to see some absolutely ridiculous things that you literally do not ever see when everyone is using default attributes... we couldn't hold onto the puck and skate into people, we couldn't get cross-crease passes through with ease - not only that, but passing was actually a challenge. You actually needed to AIM, rather than point the stick in the general direction you wanted to pass to and let your "99" passing attribute do the rest. It's a shame that the game was more enjoyable this way - but it just shows that something definitely needs to be addressed when it comes to the overall effectiveness of attributes.

This post makes a lot of sense.....for the first few months of NHL 12, I thought it was the best video game ever made and had a lot of fun with it. Now, closer to the summer, some of it has been exposed by cheesy players and is very frustrating at times.

Same thing happened with NHL 11 for me, it was fun at first, then grew worse and worse over time. The level playing field is the key for online gameplay, and ever since I stopped playing HUT online, I've had fun with this game again. Heck, I can do an OTP game with my level 2 veteran Center, rated at 76 OVR, and have a 3 point game by just playing smart hockey.

My most fun moment with this game have come from OTP, for some reason HUT just does not feel like any other game mode on NHL 12....

[Avatar]

The real DJ NEO wrote:

so U rather have "bubble", just becouse of few morons, who will ruin the game anyway?

No, I don't like the bubble either...especially as a Dman.

NHL Series  > NHL® Series General Discussion
Go to: