[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Joe Pa a** is out?  XML
NCAA Football Series  > NCAA® Football College Football Talk

Penn state finally did the right thing. it only took a bunch of kids getting hurt to do it.
man penn state was it worth it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/09/2011 20:01:51

[WWW]

It's a shame. Joe Pa was a good man but it took one situation to ruin his image

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/09/2011 20:57:25

[Avatar]

its a shame that his entire career will be marred by this scandal.....however, he deserves to be fired for not doing anything 10 years ago, when he first found out about this.

[Avatar]

baseballmvp2pt0 wrote: its a shame that his entire career will be marred by this scandal.....however, he deserves to be fired for not doing anything 10 years ago, when he first found out about this.

Joe Pa didn't do anything? He went to his superiors the next day, after talking to the Grad Assistant. In no way does he deserve to be fired for this. Was he the one molesting kids? Was he delivering kids for Sandusky to molest? Did he try to cover it up? No, because it is on record that he went to his superiors the next day after finding out about Sandusky. Should Joe Pa have done more? Of coarse he should have. But when you look back at any controversial decision in your life, you always say to yourself that you should have done more. The Pennsylvania AG isn't going to press charges against Joe Pa, so he is being fired on a moral basis. If the board of regents really felt that Joe Pa should have been responsible for Sandusky raping kids, in a significant way, then they would have fired him earlier in the week. But the court of public opinion has pressured the Board into saving face, and cutting their loses.

In hindsight, Joe Pa should have done more. Should he be fired because Sandusky raped kids and for using the Second Mile charity organization as a talent pool of boys to choose from...no way. Joe Pa was going off of something that someone else claimed that they saw. Yes, he should have erred on the side of caution, but you have to look at the context of who Sandusky was, and the family environment that is Penn *. football. Would you call the police if your sibling accused a close family member of yours of raping a kid? I doubt it. You would probably tell a senior member of your family, and take it from there....like the way Joe Pa operated in the very same situation. Also, would you look back on that same incident at say to yourself, "I should have done more," probably yes.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think your claim that Joe Pa did nothing is wrong.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/10/2011 01:23:27

[Avatar]

Not one of those men (I use that lightly) stepped up and acted on the situation, not even calling the police is beyond comprehension. They are all quilty of looking the other way instead of doing the right thing, even Joe Pa. They deserve what they get and it should be worse considering what the victims had to endure.

[Avatar]

ok based on semantics, i was wrong. he did do something. but, as you said it wasnt enough. and thats where i claim he didnt do anything. for him not doing anything after initially finding out, he deserves to be fired. with the power he had at the university, he had a moral responsibility to follow through at least on some level. and he failed to do that. in the same situation, everyone would say they wish they could have done more, but he deserves to be fired for just notifying a superior and then forgetting about the situation.

sandusky should burn in heck for all i care. people who do that to little kids are the lowest of the low. i hope he's locked up in prison for the rest of his life and gets the crap sued out of him.

[Avatar]

mag185 wrote:Not one of those men (I use that lightly) stepped up and acted on the situation, not even calling the police is beyond comprehension. They are all quilty of looking the other way instead of doing the right thing, even Joe Pa. They deserve what they get and it should be worse considering what the victims had to endure.

I'm a 100% with you Mag. I have kids and I cant imagine... but what I do hope is that this federal investigation comes down on everyone who knew about this. As a citizen if you see a crime that horific you have a responsiblity to report it. So from the coach who actually saw it to eveyone he told those cowards deserve everything they get.

Penn State was at least nice enough to tell the perve not to bring the children there??? Equates to "We know your doing it and we wont say anything as long as you dont do it here."

RIH Penn State officials and Jo Pa. Hope you get everything you got coming to you this Christmas!

[Avatar]

Man, I hope that I don't get any of you guys on a jury if I am a defendant. Sandusky hasn't even been convicted, let alone been put on trial. Yes, they have evidence that he raped kids, but there are different levels of evidence, with different intensities. We can all just wrap ourselves in the comfort of "kids come first," but by doing this, we are failing to look at the evidence ourselves, and more importantly, the context of the events. Everyone here agrees that molesting kids is horrible. But should we agree that firing a person for his moral inactions, in a case in which no person has been convicted of ANYTHING, should be considered just as horrible? There are still some major questions that need to be answered, and some holes in the facts that we have now.

[Avatar]

PHX-TX36 wrote:Man, I hope that I don't get any of you guys on a jury if I am a defendant. Sandusky hasn't even been convicted, let alone been put on trial. Yes, they have evidence that he raped kids, but there are different levels of evidence, with different intensities. We can all just wrap ourselves in the comfort of "kids come first," but by doing this, we are failing to look at the evidence ourselves, and more importantly, the context of the events. Everyone here agrees that molesting kids is horrible. But should we agree that firing a person for his moral inactions, in a case in which no person has been convicted of ANYTHING, should be considered just as horrible? There are still some major questions that need to be answered, and some holes in the facts that we have now.

First off I take it you dont have children?

Second I have not read the grand jury transcripts so I will say that up front but several media sources from fox radio to espn have read them on the air and this is what it they have had to say. One eyewitness saw Sandusky saudimizeing what looked to be a 10 year old kid in the shower.... Next the janitor at Penn State saw Sandusky with another child pinned against the wall in an indecent position... yeah I'm with you why would you report this to the cops? Ahhhh they probably just thought he was wrestling around with the children. Anyone... ANYONE who had knowledge of this should have gone directly to the cops.

Now 6-8 people have come forward saying that Sandusky did this to them and most of the after the first eyewitness says he saw it. So if Paterno or any other of the cowards had stepped in and reported it how many kids could have been saved from this predator? Sandusky needs to be castorated for sure. The rest need to answer to the question as to why they didnt report all of this immediately to the police and if there are legal actions that need to be taken against the ones who didnt then lets roll.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/10/2011 11:05:25

So he shouldn't have been fired? A man who is the face of that campus knows a guy was raping kids even if it was by word of mouth did NOTHING. Let me elaborate...

A man who is my assistant tells me another one of my assistants raped a little boy. Later on that rapist retires but is still seen in my showers, work out rooms, and is allowed to do an at risk football clinic for kids?

I'm sorry but I would step down before I let that happen. If the guy who 1st told me was found to be lieing I would have fired him. That is where I stand on this. THEY COVERED IT UP AND PATERNO IS JUST AS GUILTY AS ANYONE WHO KNEW ABOUT THIS IN THAT PROGRAM.

[Avatar]

@QBKillar- I don't know what me having kids or not has to do with anything. I agree with you that raping a kid is bad, and if Sandusky is found guilty of raping kids, he should be punished. But, you mentioned earlier that, "As a citizen if you see a crime that horific you have a responsiblity to report it." I also agree with this statement, but as a citizen, I hope you are able to mitigate your responsibilities as a parent, with your responsibilities as a citizen. You can't let your private interest take over the interests if the general public, otherwise we would have arbitrary rules and laws. Being angry at Sandusky because you happen to have kids is secondary to the concept of justice in this country. You are assuming that Sandusky is guilty, and he may very well be, but the justice system will tell you if he is guilty or not, not your close relationship of your children or your personal feelings about child safety.

Just to be clear, and before I go off on abstract thoughts about citizenship, rights, and duties, I believe that Joe Pa did enough, within the context of the situation of 2002, to justify him being able to stay on as head coach at PSU. He IMMEDIATELY informed his superiors about what the grad asst, saw that particular evening. It was up to the AD, and campus police to investigate these claims, not Joe Pa. Joe Pa is a football coach, not child * investigator. Sandusky was already retired when Joe Pa was informed about the child *. The AD and campus police were IMMEDIATELY told about the situation and THEY did nothing about it. The job of the campus police is to protect the PSU campus and its inhabitants. The job the AD is to protect and serve the athletic department. These two entities bear the brunt of the blame. If Sandusky was still of Joe Pa's staff, then Joe Pa should be included in the same group as the AD and campus police...but Sandusky was retired. I fail to see how Joe Pa can be blamed for Sandusky raping kids. Can he be blamed for not doing enough?.....of course. But if we start, as a society, start casting moral judgements on everybody, then everyone would be in jail.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/10/2011 16:06:37

[Avatar]

Maybe if somebody would have physically stopped this guy while witnessing him do this in the shower with a child and then notify the authorities he could have saved a lot of victims. Instead of worrying about the legal crap and putting up with what people will tolerate these days is to read a message: "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/10/2011 14:10:22

[Avatar]

PHX-TX36 wrote:
Just to be clear, and before I go off on abstract thoughts about citizenship, rights, and duties, I believe that Joe Pa did enough
lets slightly alter the situation here, and put you in joe pa's spot. you're the head football coach at a high school, and you get word from one of your players that your best friend, who happens to be the defensive coordinator, is showering/fondling with 10 year old boys on and off school grounds.

now, everyone is agreeing that joe pa followed the procedure and told his superiors, and i believe you would do the same: the ad, school superintendent, principal, etc. my question though, is that all you're gonna do? are you just gonna tell the higher ups and then try to separate yourself from this situation as much as possible? or are you gonna do some investigating yourself, maybe question your friend about it, certainly question the player about it, and then contact the police, which you'd have a legal responsibility to do since its involving child abuse? even if it turns out that the player made the story up, you are required to contact the police.

for the record though, and imo, mcqueary (however you spell his name), the ad, university president, joe paterno, they're all just as guilty for how they acted and dealt with this situation, and they all should be canned. these are kids we're talking about, and when it comes to their safety, for not doing more than just notifying a superior is unacceptable imo. they let "penn state football" become greater than the safety of kids.

[Avatar]

Exactly Baseball... I believe there will be criminal charges against all involved before this is over. I can't believe that no one went to the cops.

[Avatar]

baseballmvp2pt0 wrote:
PHX-TX36 wrote:
Just to be clear, and before I go off on abstract thoughts about citizenship, rights, and duties, I believe that Joe Pa did enough
lets slightly alter the situation here, and put you in joe pa's spot. you're the head football coach at a high school, and you get word from one of your players that your best friend, who happens to be the defensive coordinator, is showering/fondling with 10 year old boys on and off school grounds.

now, everyone is agreeing that joe pa followed the procedure and told his superiors, and i believe you would do the same: the ad, school superintendent, principal, etc. my question though, is that all you're gonna do? are you just gonna tell the higher ups and then try to separate yourself from this situation as much as possible? or are you gonna do some investigating yourself, maybe question your friend about it, certainly question the player about it, and then contact the police, which you'd have a legal responsibility to do since its involving child abuse? even if it turns out that the player made the story up, you are required to contact the police.

for the record though, and imo, mcqueary (however you spell his name), the ad, university president, joe paterno, they're all just as guilty for how they acted and dealt with this situation, and they all should be canned. these are kids we're talking about, and when it comes to their safety, for not doing more than just notifying a superior is unacceptable imo. they let "penn state football" become greater than the safety of kids.

First of all, Sandusky was not employed in 2002, he quit in 1999, so your analogy is a little off. Second, I will still go along with your analogy. If I went to the Principal (Curly the AD) AND the head of campus police (Schultz), yes I think I would have more than fulfilled my obligation to contact the proper authorities. Let's not forget, Schultz was Senior V.P. of Finance, AND he was the head of campus police (how these two fields are related is beyond me). Joe pa had no authority to discipline, investigate, or punish Sandusky. That is the job of the AD. Sandusky had the distinguished "emeritus" status with the school, so Paterno could not have fired Sandusky, nor was he legally culpable for any failure to report any criminal action committed by him.

Although Sandusky might have considered himself Paterno's subordinate, he would not have been accurate in such a self-description. When Paterno was informed of the allegations, he was reporting the actions of a former employee with whom he had no official connection. So where does the blame reside? Paterno is not the one who should shoulder the blame here. Sandusky is the criminal and Curley is culpable for the cover-up. Paterno took less than 24 hours to tell Curley what happened. Curley took eight years and a grand jury to say anything further. I agree that people at Penn State did think of themselves first before the safety of the kids, but these people are Sandusky, McQuery, Schultz, and Curly. McQuery is the one who saw the molesting and went home to cry to his dad about it before he went to Joe pa. Schultz was the proper authority that everyone claims that Paterno did not contact. Curly was the King of the Athletic Department, and did nothing to curb Sandusky. These four individuals (Curly, McQueer, Sandusky, Schultz) are the fools that the media, and yourself, should be demonizing-not Joe Pa.
NCAA Football Series  > NCAA® Football College Football Talk
Go to: