[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
"New" swing mechanics is a lie.  XML
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion

I just watched the tutorial video on the new swing mechanics and I have to say, none of it is new.

#1: Adjusting your feet-stance to draw or fade - Draw and fade was always available in this game, the only "new" part is the icon representation of where your feet actually are.

#2: Cursor on ball to select club impact point - This feature was already present in its exact form.

#3: Swing plane: The only "new" part here is the white, "desired swing path" line. (Which I assume the hardcore will turn off. It always gave you a blue or yellow trail is your swing was off, you just had to be more attentive while swinging to notice it.

People, we are being lied to.

This is going to way of the NHL series which claims to add new, old features.

Just like this year - Broken glass, goalie fights, helmets come off and nets become dislodged.....all features from previous NHL games being touted as "new" features.

Be aware and demand actual innovation.

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

Mmmmm, 'kay.

All I will offer is my own opinion having played this new version as well as every prior version extensively...TW13 and the new swing mechanic by far marks the biggest change to ther series I have ever seen. Ive had to completely undo all my prior years of knowledge to adapt to this new method. It is a much bigger changeover from the 3-click to analog change. If that doesn't meet the criteria for innovation then I believe only a complete overhaul of the sport of golf itself would be required to meet your expectations.

Or maybe you can offer your own opinion on what EA could do to be innovative in your eyes? I'm quite sure they would be interested to hear!

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xoblongx
EASPORTS GameChanger and PGA Golf Fanatic
X1-Oblong PS4-xOblongx (I Need NextGen Golf!)
[WWW]

Oblong wrote:Mmmmm, 'kay.

All I will offer is my own opinion having played this new version as well as every prior version extensively...TW13 and the new swing mechanic by far marks the biggest change to ther series I have ever seen. Ive had to completely undo all my prior years of knowledge to adapt to this new method. It is a much bigger changeover from the 3-click to analog change. If that doesn't meet the criteria for innovation then I believe only a complete overhaul of the sport of golf itself would be required to meet your expectations.

Or maybe you can offer your own opinion on what EA could do to be innovative in your eyes? I'm quite sure they would be interested to hear!

I haven't played the series in recent years so my view is coming from '04/'05.
But from what I saw in that video, the only thing that he does that I didn't do while playing back then is move the ball forward or back in my stance. How can it be new?

There's also the tempo meter as well. So you just can't hold back on the stick before your swing, and if you're too slow you'll under hit the ball and go well short...too fast on the follow through and chances are you'll overhit the ball and go long or have a greater chance of mis-hitting.

Also with the ball position, before you could only place the ball in the front, back, or middle...now you can put the ball anywhere in your stance. Also, when the cursor is high on the ball you'll totally skull it and it'll go 30 yards..,.before it would just go a shorter distance.

Anyway...more shots to select, and you have to make the right swing speed to get the distance.

You can't judge a game when your base is from a game that's 7 years old.

Give it a chance...this year seems promising (especially if they can successfully implement KINECT). Rent TW13 when it comes out or download the demo to get a feel for the swing. Then make a post to whether EA came through or not.

OXYPAD wrote:There's also the tempo meter as well. So you just can't hold back on the stick before your swing, and if you're too slow you'll under hit the ball and go well short...too fast on the follow through and chances are you'll overhit the ball and go long or have a greater chance of mis-hitting.

Also with the ball position, before you could only place the ball in the front, back, or middle...now you can put the ball anywhere in your stance. Also, when the cursor is high on the ball you'll totally skull it and it'll go 30 yards..,.before it would just go a shorter distance.

Anyway...more shots to select, and you have to make the right swing speed to get the distance.

You can't judge a game when your base is from a game that's 7 years old.

Give it a chance...this year seems promising (especially if they can successfully implement KINECT). Rent TW13 when it comes out or download the demo to get a feel for the swing. Then make a post to whether EA came through or not.

You just nailed it. These features are all refined, not new, as they say.

I'm not saying that it won't be good, I'm just saying that these features aren't new.

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

PeedgeMcDuck wrote:

I'm not saying that it won't be good, I'm just saying that these features aren't new.

They ARE new to TW for the consoles.

1. The foot placement is not new, it is just detailed in the GUI a different way, so I will give you that. However, it does address users concerns about shot setup and how they prefer to see their foot placement instead of simply a ball graphic and shot arc telling them what the shout outcome should look like.

2. When have you EVER had Tempo affect a golf shot in TW for consoles? I have never seen it done, for sure never seen it done properly.

3. The cursor for ball impact IS new, but what you failed to read in the previous TW13 Official Announcement thread is that in the higher difficulty levels, you will have to set the ball impact cursor DURING the swing. That IS new to TW for consoles.

4. The Swing plane graphic IS new to TW for consoles. The last time I saw this feature was in PGA 486 for the PC which came out about 15 years ago. It beats the crap out of the current swing feedback feature and this swing plane is turned OFF at the higher difficulty levels.

Below is a link to the thread that mentions why these features ARE NEW to TW for consoles (360/PS3)....

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7937949.page

Current IRL Golf Equipment:
Nike VR S Covert 2.0 Driver / Tour 3W & 3H - Stiff Shaft
Nike VR S Covert 2.0 4I-AW Irons - Stiff Shaft
Nike VR Forged 56 & 60 degree
Odyssey White Ice 35" Putter
Nike 20XI-X Staff Bag & Golf Balls

EAcom Golf Tim wrote:
PeedgeMcDuck wrote:

They ARE new to TW for the consoles.

1. The foot placement is not new, it is just detailed in the GUI a different way, so I will give you that. However, it does address users concerns about shot setup and how they prefer to see their foot placement instead of simply a ball graphic and shot arc telling them what the shout outcome should look like.

2. When have you EVER had Tempo affect a golf shot in TW for consoles? I have never seen it done, for sure never seen it done properly.

3. The cursor for ball impact IS new, but what you failed to read in the previous TW13 Official Announcement thread is that in the higher difficulty levels, you will have to set the ball impact cursor DURING the swing. That IS new to TW for consoles.

4. The Swing plane graphic IS new to TW for consoles. The last time I saw this feature was in PGA 486 for the PC which came out about 15 years ago. It beats the crap out of the current swing feedback feature and this swing plane is turned OFF at the higher difficulty levels.

Below is a link to the thread that mentions why these features ARE NEW to TW for consoles (360/PS3)....

Tempo is new, yes, I'll agree to that.

The swing plane is not new what-so-ever. The only new part about it is the "optimum swing path" line.
You could always pull your backswing too much inside or out which would be indicated with a blue or yellow trail accordingly.

And again, in regards to the swing placement, it is a refinement, not a "new" feature.

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

I guess we can agree to disagree. At the end of the day, EA is delivering a swing interface that is vastly superior to any prior swing interface for TW for consoles....

[Avatar]

Tim wrote,

Im not sure how the quote works so just pasted it.

The cursor may be new to the set up during your swing but just to Tiger I have played golf games on the ps2 that had this feature. Also the #4 feature about swing plane was in Tigerwoods 08 you alwas had to swing the club off axis to draw or fade the ball around a corner which also became a type of glitch called the SNAP HOOK which would add an extra 20 yards to your drive. I'm sure the game will play great but all is not new. But there was no graphic sor it the was as stated the YELLOW or BLUE line you had to pay attention to.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/11/2012 15:14:08

[Avatar]

While I have no doubt the new swing mechanism in TW 13 will be significantly better than previous versions, I can understand where the poster Peedge is coming from.

TW 2003 PS2 has a "tempo-based" swing - swing fast it goes further, swing slow and it shortens up. You can also hit controlled fade and hook shots by swinging inside or outside the line. The tutorials take you through the tempo-based swing and how to hook and fade.

You can also hit your driver off the fairway in TW 2003 PS2. It's a clunky and primitive game by today's standards but those features were there.

In TW 2006 PS2 you can move one of the joysticks as you swing to hit the ball on the top or bottom or leave that stick alone and hit it flush just like the "new" strike plate in TW 13.

While you don't move your feet to open or close your stance to hook or fade in TW 2003, that feature was available in a later version TW version as was the ability to move the ball in your stance. I will have to check my suite of TW 2003-2007 shelf-warmers to see which one it was.

The new TW 13 appears to bring all these features together enabling greater player control via shot set-up and swing execution. No doubt the re-calibration of these features will make for interesting gameplay.

In the meantime I'm going back to the future to practice in TW 2003 at Royal Birkdale and TW 2006 at Troon North and Pumpkin Ridge.

Edited to add: that Troon North and Pumkin Ridge are in TW 2006 PS2 . . . ooh and Reflection Bay.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/11/2012 16:04:53

PS3 Amateur & Pro mode only. EA Tiger Woods Series for PS2/3: 2003 thru 2013. PC: Links LS 1999, PGA Tour Golf 1990, Mean 18 1986

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

And yet NONE of those features have been in TW for the 360/PS3 which is one of the points I was making. Also the swing arcs in TW08 were poorly done and the swing stick sensitivity was so severe, it was patched to reduce the sensitivity due to numerous user complaints.

At the end of the day, EA has NEVER offered such a comprehensive swing interface for the "Next Gen" or 360/PS3 consoles.....again, another point I was making. Also, no previous swing has given you 62 million potential outcomes which is also "new"....

[Avatar]

Tim way to change the comment because PS2 was a console you fixed that in the last part saying NEXT GEN. And we did't say anything about the extra options we said it wasn't all new. We are all correct. Just needs to be stated the right way. And if they did patch the game back in 08' it never changed any shot I did on the ps2 online.

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

KID_KEYSTONE wrote:Tim way to change the comment because PS2 was a console you fixed that in the last part saying NEXT GEN. And we did't say anything about the extra options we said it wasn't all new. We are all correct. Just needs to be stated the right way. And if they did patch the game back in 08' it never changed any shot I did on the ps2 online.

WRONG.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7941727.page#19375430

EAcom Golf Tim wrote:

[Avatar]

Sorry only replied to what You said and I have read all the posts in the new info stuff and Blogs. I am right to what I was commenting about.

[Avatar]

EA says about TW 13: "Taking its most significant leap forward in swing mechanics in over a decade, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 revolutionizes the virtual golf swing."

A decade ago was 2002.

Then they say: "Swing Tempo - For the 1st time in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR history, the tempo and speed of your swing is going to directly influence the power of your shot. Fast tempo will add more distance to shots. Slow tempo will result in less distance.

Excluding the swing mechanics in TW 2003 PS2 if "Tiger Woods PGA TOUR history" refers to the entire console franchise.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/11/2012 16:22:46

PS3 Amateur & Pro mode only. EA Tiger Woods Series for PS2/3: 2003 thru 2013. PC: Links LS 1999, PGA Tour Golf 1990, Mean 18 1986
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion
Go to: