[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Unable to install Origin Update  XML
Origin  > Bugs and Issues

The new update ends downloads the 39MB and then when it's complete it says "Your update could not be completed. Please download and install the latest version of Origin from https://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

I'm running Window 7 Home Premium and Origin was working fine before this new update.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing and didn't work. I have also tried using run as administrator and didn't work. I have tried the steps in the first sticky about downloading the zip and then running the Origin.exe and didn't work either.

I have tried these steps over again with my firewall and antivirus off. To no avail i am still unable to update even though Origin says that it is 8.5 version

EA Representative
[Avatar]

Hi dices543,

Thanks for your post.
So now, have you downloaded the setup file from: https://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe, then try to run it as admin? Before this, uninstall Origin first.

EA_OriginSupport
Please visit help.origin.com for solutions to common Origin issues.
[WWW]

Yes i have tried that and still no luck. It goes to download the 39MB and when it finishes it says Your update could not be completed.

EA Representative
[Avatar]

[quote=dices543]Yes i have tried that and still no luck. It goes to download the 39MB and when it finishes it says Your update could not be completed.[/quote]

Hi dices543,

Thanks for your feedback.
Already gave you a PM. Please take a look at it. I will create a ticket to let our developers to follow this up.

Regards,

EA_OriginSupport
Please visit help.origin.com for solutions to common Origin issues.
[WWW]

Hi, I'm running Windows XP and I have the exact same issue.

Hi, I'm having the same issue. I've downloaded the latest updater, like the pop-up says. I've also completely reinstalled Origin. Is there something hanging in the registry that's tripping it up?

I'm running Win 7 Pro SP1 x64.

Let me know if I can assist with testing any workarounds. I really want to play some FIFA!

Developer
[Avatar]

Magicked,

After that message, what files are in your Origin install folder? If you could take a screenshot of what is there and sent it to OriginLogs@ea.com that would be great. If you're seeing a download before you see that then you're probably having problems unpacking the update. I'm curious what files you're managed to unpack at that point.
As a workaround, try downloading the update package in this thread below and manually extract it in your install folder.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8214790.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/02/2012 14:28:52

EA_Kmoore
Software Engineer, EA Canada

Thanks for the quick reply kmoore. I did figure out one workaround. I normally install Origin on a second hard drive (my D drive), so I decided to uninstall and then try to install it on my first drive. That worked without issue. I also noticed during the install (the one that worked properly), Windows asked me for two UAC events: one at the beginning and one in the middle. The install that does not work properly only asks for one at the beginning.

Anyway, I've uninstalled and tried again on the second hard drive. I emailed the screenshot to the address you provided.

Also, your workaround did the job! Thanks!

Developer
[Avatar]

Glad to hear it worked. Hopefully the fact that you're installing on a second drive will help me figure out what's going on.

dices543/ernestkhong,

It looks like you're having the same issue that Magicked was. Can you also try that workaround to see if that will get Origin working for you?

Thanks

EA_Kmoore

I was trying to install on a seperate drive. I will try this when i get home tonight from work and let you know how it goes.

Developer
[Avatar]

dices543,

I was just able to reproduce this issue, and it looks like there is a problem updating/installing Origin on an external HD. This will be fixed in our next release. In the mean time, you should be able to download the package from the link in this thread and manually unpack it.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8214790.page

Thanks

EA_Kmoore

The workaround worked for me but now i'm having a new problem although it may be minor. When i start origin my computer seems to lock up and become unresponsive for about 10 seconds. I'm guessing its while origin is loading.

I can freely move the mouse around and sound seems to continue in the background but i am unable to switch windows or anything at all for that matter. Everything goes back to normal once origin boots up

Hi. The solutions so far have not worked for me. I have tried every means, including manually copying the zip file to the download folder. Please come up with a solution quick. The previous version worked fine. I don't see why you have to fix something that isn't broken.

These bugs are unacceptable. Origin service has been running for more than a year now and it cant even get past these first degree bugs.

* can't install to a another drive (not externals, although there should be a problem in doing that, but why would you) so can only install to C drive only directory, if you try otherwise you have problems with updates and installing.

* can't automatically log me in to origin, keeps forgetting my login password. This is like a browser behavior. saves the password and email but will lose it in a worse fashion than any browser. Also Origin ID's.....useless. i dont know why you bothered even giving us the option to login with our origin ID, as email is the only thing that works.

* the dumbest thing though with referencing the user account with the assciated email and password though is your process for when new game account is made from a purchase, if you use anything other than the password your using for origin login, it will update all login accounts battlelog login, swTOR login to that new password without letting you know it does that everytime. i randomly found this out, while trying to log in on the EA website.

* At the moment, i've had to remove all my origin games and the client. the service for me at the moment has become too intolerable to use. I had without remembering why i did it, had half my games of origin on C drive and the other half going to G drive then i remembered that origin is soo stupid it will cause you issues if you put anything on other than C drive. so thanks guys.

* Also at the moment, if the strange doesnt any stranger but it does.....i go to the EA origin site to redownload the client. And its shown to be a macilous link (picture provided) i download the client anyway 32. when it goes to update after install. I get update errors (picture provided)

[img][/img]

https://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

This is probably not the site you are looking for!
You attempted to reach download.dm.origin.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as www.origin.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of download.dm.origin.com.
You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.

origin has too many clunky systems that are not streamlined

origin
battlelog
swtor client login
punkbuster - one of the worst and oldest

do i go on?

sort it out guys, or you will lose all your customers.
Origin  > Bugs and Issues
Go to: