[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Video for EA to watch  XML
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion

Video Link:

http://kayakingbear.com/TW13/badFades.mov

Video covers:

Problem with the stock controllers and using them for this years draws and fades. Its no wonder everyone is hitting straight this year, and the whole talk is about straight shots.

Video script (goes something like this):

So let me get this straight. We had the game but people wanted to get their shots straighter without having to really concentrate. It is a game after all, so they came up with after market controllers like the Hori's for not just EA TW but for a lot of games. The third party controllers was just a new part of the business.

But then those who did not have or could not afford or elected not to buy the Horis of the world complained that this was cheating. And the debate raged then settled in and both sides made camp and swore by their values.

Then this year, not just to combat the Horis of the world, but to help a brand new swing mech work with the Kinetic and the Move (two newer methods to play without a controller) EA decided to have us hitting fades and draws by using an diagonal swing with the joystick. And swore this was a byproduct and nothing to do with combating the straightness of using a Hori.

So here's the rub... good luck getting a joystick that wants to constantly snap to center work on a swing that needs to be 5 degrees off from 180 degrees straight up and down. OH, but make sure you have the right tempo while you attempt this. And at the highest mode, where tempo means a lot for distance, make sure that only a close to perfect diagonal line will create a good shot using fades and draws. Yea, that.

So now everyone is talking about straight shots. Everybody is hitting straight shots. If you get out of amateur mode, you become a straight shot shooter. And I guess there are a few of us now at there trying to find something to add to our controllers as an aide, like the Hori controllers were, to hit a diagonal straight line. Whether you try to edge with a credit card on the controller or use some foreign object to make better diagonal straight lines, you gotta find something to get this to work, or hit straight shots. Thus far, no edging trick is working.

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING EA? This may work great with the Move. I doubt it. It may work great with the Kinetic, but doubt that too. This was a just a year to overhaul the swing mechanism and knowing you were just getting started on that road, you still sold us the game that uses a swing mech that not even the controllers are designed to do. And I think y'all know that and knew people were going to be hating straight lines because we can all hit them now. But hey, no more cheating using a Hori, at the expense of fades and draws and real golf.

And even if we can earn coins or buy coins to play so many courses, we can't play real golf shaping the shots and use open and closed stances because of the swing mech. So golf course management is pretty well out the window and...

... guys are still shooting lights out at -24 or -27. Hum....

If tempo is the thing this year, then why are we having to swing at an angle to get a fade, when we still have to move the marker to tell the game we are intentionally fading the ball, or its a push/pull? If Tournament is so sensitive on hitting the joystick at the right tempo, did y'all really thing people could do that at a diagonal? And while holding down another joystick if they needed to hit under the ball?

Why should people want to buy all the courses, golf course management and that each course is designed to challenge the golfer is some way whether that be his natural fade/draw, or how well he uses these from tee to green. And there are holes on our courses, like Augusta where you need to fade or draw the tee shot and most definitely the approach. Straight line shots are killing the reason the courses were designed as I can tell you after studying golf course design and having many books on it, not one course is designed for straight shot. Maybe the local Par 3 course.

EA keep this up and you then really need to design a joystick to sell with the game. One that works for what your are intending. Because no one is out there using draws and fades and you have created straight line golfers. What a shame that is...

Disappointed... and shaking my head.

Console : PS3
TW 13 ~ Play AM no putt prev or spin
TW12 TourPro 62 Avg 1.6 Putt
TW Wii 07,09,10,11,12 The Glory Days
Links 2001/2003

GM : 62 SimGem Country Club

[Avatar]

So I got to thinking about something, When I first played 13, I could draw and fade pretty good....Then as I dumped more xp into accuracy, I couldn't do it as well......Maybe, because as the accuracy attribute increases, the shot stick sensitivity decreases, maybe I just turned my DS3 into a 3rd party controller(sensitivity speaking) later, when I get home, I'm gonna experiment at the practice facility, I'll hit balls with my current accuracy, then I'll reduce my accuracy and see if my theory holds water.

"Par is a pretty good score here today"

[Avatar]

rwq...

Try rotating the controller in your hand, and then take your same normal straight swing motion. It has worked pretty well for me. It is still hard to try for 5 degrees, and actually get it... I might get 4 or 6 degrees, but the swing line is straight enough.

I like TW 13. A lot of nice things to say about it but I find it very strange that in tournament difficulty/expert swing, I rarely miss the fairway and I'm not even a good player. Last year, my FIR % was so much less spectacular with my Hori than it is so far in TW 13 with the stock controller.

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

I love my Mac wrote:I like TW 13. A lot of nice things to say about it but I find it very strange that in tournament difficulty/expert swing, I rarely miss the fairway and I'm not even a good player. Last year, my FIR % was so much less spectacular with my Hori than it is so far in TW 13 with the stock controller.

Likely due to the fact you are singing with Slow tempo. Try swinging faster and use Stiff or Extra Stiff shafts if you are hitting the fairway too often....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/10/2012 09:18:47

Current IRL Golf Equipment:
Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver / 3W / 3H - Stiff Shaft
Nike VR S 4-AW Covert Irons - Stiff Shaft
Nike VR Forged 56 & 60 degree
Odyssey White Ice 35" Putter
Nike 20XI-X Golf Balls

Skinnie Post

I do turn the controller in my hand.

Here's my question, why do we have to hit a diagonal line anyway? Why, if tempo is everything, do we have to hit some ridiculous line that the controller wasn't meant to do??

Stupid. No one out there is doing anything but hitting straight. No one is drawing or fading. And to go from AM to Pro mode and find it that hard is pathetic. Shame on EA.

They could have left it pulling the stick back and forth and we could have been having fun.

R

Links 2001/2003

EAcom Golf Tim wrote:

Likely due to the fact you are singing with Slow tempo. Try swinging faster and use Stiff or Extra Stiff shafts if you are hitting the fairway too often....

I tried that, it didn't work. 100% of the time it's slow tempo. I guess I'm too old or too dumb. I'm adjusting to 100% slow tempo/99% overswing. To get the extra stiiff shafts, I suppose I would have to start a career. Not interested at all...

WHY DO WE HAVE TO SWING IN A DIAGONAL LINE?

Someone from EA try to answer that. Its just dumb. Stock controllers don't do it. I hear its easier with the Xbox. But why do we have to do it in the first place, if the emphasis was on tempo this year.

Links 2001/2003

[Avatar]

You dont give up man! I agree with you though.

I also have noticed as my guy gets "better" he gets worse it seems.

I never understand why its so hard to get fast on the driver when that is probably the harderst your going to swing every hole you use one. If off the tee was like the chipping and putting then we would have some missed fairways for sure.

Keep the fight alive! Down with the staight ball!

SIM MODE PLAYER(xbox)

THE COUNTRY CLUB MEMBER

UHAVELOFT

I was able to download ur first video but ur 3rd one and this one I cant see, the screen is black and I only get audio. Just to let you know.

Wouldn't stiffer shaft make it slower?
1. I thought that's what Handsward said (see below).
2. I put stiff shafts on my wedges to slow them down and it worked.

HANDSWARD wrote the following in the Understanding Temp thread...
What flex shaft do you have in your clubs? The stiffer the shaft, the harder it becomes to swing a club with fast tempo, especially on the higher difficulties. If you are just using the regular shafts, then you probably just have a naturally slow swing. We knew this would be the case with some people in the higher difficulties. But hey, not everyone can bomb drives 300+ in real life. And the same goes for the game at times. But your slower swing is not at a loss. I've found that users who do have a slower swing tend to handle the short game better, an area where many other users struggle. So you have to take the positive with the negative.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/10/2012 13:00:23

PS3: TW08-TW14
PS2: TW04-TW09
Difficulty: Tour Pro/Tournament/Sim, Green Grid but no other aids
Play: 100% Offline at whichever course I feel like that day

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

A stiffer shaft means you will have to swing faster and with more tempo to get results, but those results include more distance, ball spin and chance of mis-hit penalty.

Nike 20XI-X Golf Balls

There is no workaround for this right now and we shouldn't have to find one. It needs fixing and balancing out.

I don't mind the fade and draw being as they are but the straight swing is getting boring very quickly.

Make the long game as tricky as the short game and you're onto a winner. And getting the chipping animation implemented correctly will have the gameplay exactly where it should be.

Hope they actually release a patch of some note this time

EAcom Golf Tim wrote:A stiffer shaft means you will have to swing faster and with more tempo to get results, but those results include more distance, ball spin and chance of mis-hit penalty.

Are the pros modelled in the game using stiff shafts? I presume they must be

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

FastAsFluke wrote:There is no workaround for this right now and we shouldn't have to find one. It needs fixing and balancing out.

I don't mind the fade and draw being as they are but the straight swing is getting boring very quickly.

Some of us are not hitting it straight and it is far from boring. That said, I was thinking that if EA would actually make the analog stick sensitivity lower for tempo making it easier to hit Perfect and Fast tempo, while leaving in the mis-hit properties currently in the game, then you would have more users hitting perfect and fast tempo which bring in to play the mis-hit penalties when you have that kind of tempo negating the lack of mis-hit from hitting Slow tempo drives. All of this is for Tournament mode/Expert swing. I think it would be worth finding out if this could actually work instead of penalizing users who already struggle to hit straight. Not everyone is a joystick jockey and I would hate for the game to be tuned to penalize those who can't swing straight on every shot. If you are not having trouble hitting it straight every time, I and others would sure like to know how you are doing it.

Nike 20XI-X Golf Balls
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion
Go to: