[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Golfing  XML
NHL Series  > NHL® Off Topic

Team Captain
[Avatar]

anyone here play? i just played a couple of in door games the last two weeks. the snow isnt all gone yet here (came down again a week ago but that isnt surprising we had snow in June a couple of years ago). but im getting new clubs (finally!) and not sure what to look for. I'm your typical every weekend player really that just plays for the fun and for the 19th hole Ive used some old wilsons that my dad gave me like when i was 14ish (now turning 24) and wanting a new set. what should i be looking for? not wanting to spend over $2000 for a set hopefully under $1500

[WWW]

Team Captain

If you're just a weekend golfer, your money is better spent on lessons and a decent custom-fit set. Having proper equipment is far more important than having expensive equipment. I also recommend using a soft-core, soft-cover ball, as well. You may lose a little off your drives, but I always find I play at least a few strokes better compared to a "distance" ball. Way better feel on and around the greens plus it makes holding the green a lot easier, especially when it's really hot and dry.

I haven't been able to get out anywhere near as much as I'd like to the last few years, but I'm hoping to get out more this year. At my best, I finished 3rd in the annual club tournament at my home course, though that was like 12 years ago when I was in high school. Now I'm lucky if I hit in the mid-80s because I'm rusty every time I hit the turf.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/14/2012 00:48:43

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

I get out about once a week now with guys from work, and sometimes more, I used to get out several times a week and had my handicap to single digits, hope to get back, 11 now so shouldn't be too hard.

If your willing to spend some money as Noob put it get your set custom fit. When you do make sure the person doing it is qualified and not some guy. They will have you hit different clubs and try different shots and match the type of clubs and size that best suit you. The difference you find is amazing. It's just easier to play the game and you will find you get instantly better and are able to hit shots you never could before.

As for clubs that's like asking what stick or goalie pads you should use, depends on your game and what you want from it. Test out several clubs all different types and brands. I have for years used Titleist but went and tried out some new sets recently and picked up a new Taylor Made driver, wood set and hybrid. Love how they felt and how the ball came off the club.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/14/2012 03:40:41

[WWW]

[Avatar]

+100 on what Noob said. That will help you tremendously.

[Avatar]

best clubs I ever hit but ya go to a golf course and get a pro to customize the clubs thats feels best for u but i will suggest hittin these babies they r bad *, do u need a driver and woods also? and some wedges? this is my set min us the 3 and 5 wood I have a 17 degree, 4 wood

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/15/2012 06:13:45

“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”

"You must unlearn what you have learned"

[Avatar]

When I start getting more money I'll probably go out much more, I have some nice clubs but I never play.

Team Captain
[Avatar]

well just letting you guys know im not a "noob" at golf been playing since i was 12. i just dont get out at the course as often as i would like to. i didnt go out buy a full set this last weekend but i did buy a new set of irons which werent too expensive and probably the best iron ive ever hit and easiest as well. i ended up buying the Nike VR_S irons

http://www.golftown.com/Nike-VR_S-Irons-Steel-P4607.aspx

i cant wait to take these bad boys out on the course this summer (it snowed here again today)

[WWW]

[Avatar]

I buy my golf clubs on eBay. I have about $2800 worth of clubs and I've spent about $900. It's worth looking at.

EASFHL: Gretzky Conference 20 Teams
136-56-28
Overall Rank: 1st
Division Rank: 1st
Name: I Stand No Chance
Top Players:
Miller
Thomas
Heatley
Gaborik
Hossa
Doan
Elias
Marchand
Myers

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/19344

Team Captain

Some of my set I've had for over a decade now (woods & putter). After I got out of the hospital several years ago, my dad got me a new set of clubs (though I don't use the woods; still like my old Alien woods better. Orlimar Tri-Metal rip-offs, but work really well), but I can't recall what model they are (I keep my clubs at my parents' house, so I can't check ATM).

Driver (10.5*) - Cobra
Woods (14*, 17*) - Alien Ultimate Quad Metal
Irons (3-9) - Cobra
Wedges (PW, GW, SW) - Cobra
Putter - Odyssey Dual Force 662
Balls - Top-Flite Strata Tour Professional

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

onem4n4rmyy wrote:I buy my golf clubs on eBay. I have about $2800 worth of clubs and I've spent about $900. It's worth looking at.

I don't like to buy sports equipment without testing it or wearing it first.

[WWW]

[Avatar]

SirPsychoT wrote:
onem4n4rmyy wrote:I buy my golf clubs on eBay. I have about $2800 worth of clubs and I've spent about $900. It's worth looking at.

I don't like to buy sports equipment without testing it or wearing it first.

I go to a local golf store and test out a ton of clubs, then go on eBay and buy new ones or lightly used ones for not even half price. Has worked out well for me so far.

EASFHL: Gretzky Conference 20 Teams
136-56-28
Overall Rank: 1st
Division Rank: 1st
Name: I Stand No Chance
Top Players:
Miller
Thomas
Heatley
Gaborik
Hossa
Doan
Elias
Marchand
Myers

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/19344

I ended up buying my Nike CCi full blades a 3 years ago (i'm 24 now) online. I tried them in store, loved them, but they didn't have any Left-handed except the display. Went online and was able to find the $1500 set new-in-box for $350. Haven't played in a year though. My two-year old son keeps me busy!

F5 Live: Refreshing Technology
Livecast on all things tech, media, gaming, Internet & more on Sundays @ 9PM ET
f5live.tv/joinus

[Avatar]

I've never been golfing, but its something I have always wanted to get into. It seems pretty difficult, so what are some basic tips anyone can give?

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

Ca-Nucklehead92 wrote:I've never been golfing, but its something I have always wanted to get into. It seems pretty difficult, so what are some basic tips anyone can give?

Swing easy, straight is better then long

Keep your head down, to often people look for the ball before they hit it

Have your feet shoulder length apart and keep your shoulders pointed at your target

Swing down and through the ball not just to the ball

[WWW]

Team Captain

http://www.golfchannel.com/instruction/
http://www.golf.com/instruction

If you've never played before, the best thing to do is to take a couple of lessons. I'd start with group lessons as they will generally be cost-effective and get you all the basics, although if you work evenings and weekends, it may not be an option. One-on-one lessons are better for refining your technique, but they're generally quite pricey ($1/minute or more), so it wouldn't be my first choice to start.

Just as an example of cost comparison at my home club:
1 x 45-minute personal lesson = $60 ($80/hour)
1 x 45-minute group lesson (3 students) = $30/each ($40/hour)
6 x 1-hour group lessons (6 students) = $110/each ($18.33/hour)

If you're under 18, most clubs will generally have youth workshops at some point early in the summer that are extremely cheap.

Developing bad habits is much easier than breaking them.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/19/2012 15:30:34

NHL Series  > NHL® Off Topic
Go to: