[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Manufacturing and Commerce active 24 hours a day?  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

Hello everyone
I am extremely excited for this new SimCity. The agents concept seems amazing.
While watching one of the videos, one of the developers mentioned that when it becomes morning or day time the buildings (industry and commerce) become active. I was curious, would there be a way to perhaps change the rules in a city and maybe have a "city that never sleeps" which is continuously manufacturing goods or with an extremely active nightlife society? Hope this makes sense.

Well, where that would be the problem is how that would work with the new "agent-based" simulation. Sims need to go home and sleep sometime, and, thinking about it, how many places that aren't supermarkets are open 24/7? And even the 24/7 supermarkets need to close some time to take stock.

From a programming point of view, to implement what you're suggesting would require a complete re-write of the entire simulation they've developed with GlassBox up to this point. It won't happen. And I'm quite intrigued by this new simulation model anyway.

I'm sure that there will be certain things that operate 24/7. They would have to, or else theres no way a city would be able to function. If the power plant employees went home for the night and no one was watching the plant, how would it operate? In this day and age, almost every large corporation or industry works 24/7 to keep up with demand. To model anything less would not be realistic. The agent system could just send agents at night the same way it sends agents during the day for the graveyard shift workers.

[Avatar]

so you're asking if you will have any control over the world that's apparently designed for simplicity? or if the game is actually designed after how the real world works?

Maybe a region could even be slip between time zones.. if they were that big geographically.. or if such a term is applicable to a flat region in a simplistic game.

SimCity 2013 = Like throwing your time and money into a fire.. the up side being EA has your money so you know it is being wasted

I'm more annoyed losing a year on this forum in the stupid pursuit of a game worth the name SimCity than losing $60+ to EA

[Avatar]

I work at http://www.trans-ocean.com/ where we process surimi seafood. Shutting down 'for the night' is simply not an option, and that would be true of many such places. My wife and I work on the night shift, and we tend to do our shopping at Wal-Mart at 3am. We get to avoid the crowds and everything is getting stocked up before the morning rush.

Bar/ Pub hours tend to be from about noon to 3am. Some places close, some don't.

Another problem is game time vs. realtime. If I had to play game time = real time, the game would entirely sucks as I would spend what would seem a real lifetime waiting on anything to happen. Given that I work nights, I could only enjoy the game in the dark, and *THAT* would simply suck.

Obviously, the game will have to make 'some' adjustment to game time vs real life time. A question would be if we can privately 'tweak' our game clock, say, to 'day' when we are playing in real life night, perhaps peg the time to 'noon forever', and how that may effect the game play, or if our clock is fixed to match the game server. If the clock is 'fixed' to game server time, does that mean I will forever have to enjoy my game in the dark? Or will the game 'day cycle' be, say, 4 hours = 1 day?

Suppose 4 real life hours = 1 game day? Will the cars have to zip by so fast you can't hardly see them? Will people zoom by like The Flash as they walk the streets? Will buildings catch on fire and burn to the ground before you are even aware there is a problem?

Or will the game models walk a 'sane' pace, drive a 'sane' speed where you can enjoy the effect? If they do, will a traveler ever leave home for work only to arrive at work in time to get home? SC4 had 'perpetual commuters' as a bug between regions. Think of how it would be for sims that spent their entire game 'day' traveling the long road between home and work, yet never having enough time to actually work or sleep!

I'm curious to see how the 'agents' will deal with this problem.
[Email] [WWW]

These questions and answers seem unduly pessimistic. SimCity has always allowed you to run your city at different speeds and to pause your city (remember Cheetah speed?).

In reddit, I think, they mentioned the asynchronous nature of the game. I doubt they'll approach this any differently than in SC4. I know my garbage cities never seemed to age more than 100 years in the time my main city would go through a few thousand.

In short, I think there's a lot of unnecessary concern in this thread. Let's all chill out until we hear and see more from the devs.

[Avatar]

On this particular topic, there are various means to deal with the problem of having game time synchronize with the real world. I am very certain of one thing: Can't please everyone. Best they can do is have their particular solution be pleasing to as large a market sense as they can manage. Whatever they do decide, I'm reasonably sure with I will be happy with their choice on this issue. To me, this is a minor issue.

There are other issues about SC5 of grave concern to me. I will not 'chill out' about those issues until they are adequately addressed in a way that will satisfy me towards making a purchase. I will not shut up. I will not go away. I will make my opinion known as clearly as I am able, and encourage others to do so as well even if they choose to disagree with my opinion. But all that is in those other threads.

THIS thread, this topic, is nothing like that at all to me. I'm curious, but not the least concerned over game time sync. It's more an idle curiosity for me than anything.

Also be aware that things you read in text tend to appear much more harsh than they may be in intent. You get ZERO of the social ques that you normally would in a social environment, such as body language and tone of voice. While I've given game time sync some serious thought as a game design problem, I have yet to give it serious emotional investment, and I would not anyone to think I have.
[Email] [WWW]
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: