[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Continue the dream  XML
EA SPORTS UFC  > EA SPORTS' Past MMA Games

Senior Moderator
[Avatar]

Let me start off by thanking the people that need to be thanked:

Rahlie, Dirrtybird, oilersguru and Rear_Naked_Poke.

Rahlie was unable to attend the community day, due to an accident at work which forced him to stay behind. It was because of this, that I was given an opportunity to take part in my first EA SPORTS community event. His passion was not able to be matched by anyone on this forum.

Dirrybird (Kevin), Oilersguru (Eric) and Rear_Naken_Poke (John) were the three community members along with myself who flew to *. Louis to be the first to get our hands on this game and to provide solid feedback over the course of two full days with the game.

We had some GREAT times in *. Louis and to this day it still stands as one of the best and most talked about community days in EA SPORTS.

I can't thank EA SPORTS enough for that opportunity, and more specifically Justin Dewiel and former community manager Will Kinsler (raczilla). They showed us an epic time and really made sure that we knew the input we provided was very appreciated.

Jason Barnes, one of the developers of the title, was the most approachable guy when it came to direct feedback both at the community day and after launch. One of the most friendly guys you will ever meet, and I miss the days of coming up with novels of emails to send to him in regards to how to make the game better at it's core.

Randy Chase, who hooked us up with the best seats in the house to the Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery event in *. Louis. We were front row to witness Alistair Overeem defeat Brett Rogers. Along with Justin and Will, the three of them showed us a night on the town while we rubbed shoulders with the elite of MMA. It was a time I will never forget for the rest of my life!

Oilersguru (Eric) who was the first guy I met from this community, is a very passionate and active member from the early days.

Dirrtybird (Kevin) was one of the most knowledgeable guys from the community who dove right into the game and spent a lot of time with the devs. I also liked his hats.

Rear_Naked_Poke (Jon) was probably my favorite guy to have met. He had a deep passion for old school MMA and he LOVED the vale tudo aspect of the title. He went through a ridiculous amount of hours of travel to meet up with us, and it was well worth it in the end.

I will miss the old days of this community. The passion that ran through it was like nothing else. We had our battles with the UFC fanboys who ridiculed us and laughed in our faces. That was, until the game finally reached the hands of the gamers.

When you look at UFC Undisputed 3 now, you can see how EA has influenced their engine, and how much of their fanbase still, to this day, asks for things that were in EA SPORTS MMA on Dat 1 (see: Analog striking, smoother animations)

I'll never forget when we were first told about Live Broadcast and how we were supposed to have kept it a big secret. It was very, VERY hard to do that and when we finally proclaimed that it would change MMA gaming forever.. we raised the bar. Maybe a little too high, but expectations were off the chart.. and rightfully so.

Of course, as with anything, some people were ecstatic - some were disappointed - and some couldn't care either way. In the end, Live Broadcast was something that I still see future gaming companies introducing in some fashion into every game that involves competition on a multiplayer level; whether it's sports games or FPS's. It will eventually find it's way into most titles. Just have a look at sites devoted to streaming - there's a demand for it and the guys at EA SPORTS MMA were the first to do it.

The ups and downs of EA MMA were there as well. The ability to have the announcers say pretty much any name in MMA, along with maybe some of our own was pretty damn cool. Of course, shortly after release Zuffa laid the hammer down on that and were left SOL. Now, with online play gone, I'd suggest removing the initial patch and reverting back your game to Day 1. Create those UFC fighters and have them shown properly.

I was rather sad within about 2-3 months of release when this community began to take a downward spiral. Live Broadcasts were going well, but the interaction and devotion to the continuation and improvement of this title, at a community level, was not there. StykStyle did a great job in keeping up with broadcasts and getting things together in terms of fight cards and such, but discussions in regards to the future of this title quickly turned into flame wars and eventual listing of youtube videos of users' fights, proclaiming they were the best and greatest.

I guess you get that with the online MMA communities, no matter where you go; the average age level can't be much higher than 15, and it shows.

Have a look through our topics from 2 years ago - it was a different place back then.

With this I regretfully say goodbye. Most of the new users will be asking, "Who the hell is this guy?", but the old farts will know.

I will miss what this game brought to the table for MMA gaming. It turned some heads, but the UFC did a good job in making sure that their label was associated with mixed martial arts than the initials MMA. This is what ultimately hurt EA MMA. Anyone who picked up the EA SPORTS title was converted instantly, but unfortunately without that UFC logo on the cover, most mainstream MMA fans passed it off as just a 'lame attempt by EA SPORTS to capitalize on UFC (otherwise known as mixed martial arts)".

These are the same people who 'train UFC'.

I sincerely hope that at some point, EA SPORTS comes back to the table with an MMA game and can successfully snag the UFC label from THQ. Although Yukes has put together a popular UFC game, it lacks in so many areas that EA SPORTS MMA excelled in. The UFC would benefit greatly from becoming associated with EA SPORTS.

Those claims that EA turned down the UFC are ludicrous. We heard the story right from the horses mouth, and it was just the right people talking to the wrong people.

If you go back to 1997-2000, it was almost the exact same situation between THQ and EA SPORTS.

THQ made yet another decision to go with the BIG name at the time - The WWF.

Acclaim had been publishing the WWF titles for some time, but THQ snagged the deal when the contract was up.

This left WCW out in the cold. At the time, WCW was on a resurgence with the public and had a decent brand behind it. However, it wasn't the WWF.

EA SPORTS released their first and last professional wresting game, WCW Mayhem.

It was almost as if EA SPORTS MMA was yet another WCW Mayhem. EA threw their name in the hat for sports entertainment, and came out not as losers, but as the less popular choice with mainstream fans.

The big difference between EA SPORTS MMA and WCW Mayhem is that WCW Mayhem was terrible, even by the standards set back in the late 90's.

EA SPORTS MMA is still one of, if not THE best virtual representation of Mixed Martial Arts on this generation of consoles, period. Regardless of how you play the game, you can't argue that it's fun as hell and very well produced.

As of today, we are without online access to EA SPORTS MMA.

But this is not the end.

The game will still find it's way into our consoles throughout this generation, to be played at parties and with friends in the same room as us - how it used to be. No internet connection - just two friends in the same room beating the virtual crap out of each other.

I will miss the community. The fight cards, Live Broadcasts.

But not this game.

The game is still here, and it will still be played.

Continue the dream that some day EA SPORTS will be back in the MMA genre. Keep active in this community and posting your ideas for how to make this game better.

Because you never know when we'll be called upon again....

[Avatar]

EA MMA provided lots of fun

I win.

[Avatar]

I read a few months ago THQ has to increase their value on the public trading scene by the summer or something or they won't be allowed on there and that might mean their demise.

Not sure how that affects a contract in place for years to come but I'm sure it can't mean well.

I win.

[Avatar]

EA SPORTS MMA FOREVER

EA Sports is the reason EA MMA failed. They are the reason why their probably wont be another game in the near future. They made their bed & now have to sleep in it.

Anyone with common sense about MMA or UFC could see all their faults. Just to be clear on those faults
1. They rushed the game about a good 6 months
2. Released bad pre Alpha footage time & time again
3. Released a horrid demo
4. They didnt promote the game well
5. Couldnt even lock down their roster

EA tried to get a 1 up on THQ by releasing EA MMA 6 months after Undisputed but didnt think of the consequences of putting out a half finished product against a fully loaded UFC game with more content.

If they actually spent more time on the game, I think EA MMA would have sold alot better. EA thought the EA Sports title would sell the game but they didnt realised a half done EA game, doesnt stack up well against a full conent UFC game

Even the developers came out & said they had a board full of ideas & moves they didnt get to & were saving for the sequel. Wth kind of stuff is that? You want to put your best foot foward in hopes of making a better product, that people will buy.

So you cant blame anyone but EA.
Stale ground game, limited moves, limited positions, everyone fights the same, Bad demo, Bad AI, no extra content. I dont know how they thought it would be a big hit when their is a bigger MMA game out already

Nothing beats the adrenaline of playing MMA.

You're never a loser until you quit trying.

[Avatar]

Not sure what happened to my post count but whatever.

Had plenty of fun on these forums back in the day. I was also invited for community day but unfortunately never made it. Too bad really. Till this day I don't think I'll be as excited for a game as I was back then for EA MMA.

It is unfortunate the franchise went down so early. The game was definitely good. If more people bought it, we would be seeing a sequel this year. Its really sad that things did not go that way.

In the end I don't think a good demo, good footage, or extra development time would have saved the title. I think back in early 2010 everyone was still under the impression that there would have been a next UFC title in 2011. It would have been a very risky move to release the title at that time.

Maybe EA returns to MMA someday, but I'll doubt it. However if they do, I will be excited for it once again. UFC3 is a great game but they made some horrible decisions which has put their online mode in a vegetable state only 2 months after release. THQ has done a good job on the game itself but the series of bad decisions does not seem to end.

Other than that I wish Kickboxing was more popular in the US. There is a whole world of licenses up for grabs that noone seems to care about.

I guess we'll be hearing of the next Fight Night game soon. After all EA's original plan was to alternate the fighting games. I guess it is all about Fight Night now then.

Yari wrote: It is unfortunate the franchise went down so early. The game was definitely good. If more people bought it, we would be seeing a sequel this year. Its really sad that things did not go that way.

In the end I don't think a good demo, good footage, or extra development time would have saved the title. I think back in early 2010 everyone was still under the impression that there would have been a next UFC title in 2011. It would have been a very risky move to release the title at that time.

Maybe EA returns to MMA someday, but I'll doubt it. However if they do, I will be excited for it once again. UFC3 is a great game but they made some horrible decisions which has put their online mode in a vegetable state only 2 months after release. THQ has done a good job on the game itself but the series of bad decisions does not seem to end.

Other than that I wish Kickboxing was more popular in the US. There is a whole world of licenses up for grabs that noone seems to care about.

I guess we'll be hearing of the next Fight Night game soon. After all EA's original plan was to alternate the fighting games. I guess it is all about Fight Night now then.

Its unfortunate that EA didnt put their best foot forward. EA set out to make the best MMA game. They saw they needed extra months of development to get the best MMA game, yet they still released it because they thought it would sell regardless. They even said themselves they saved things for the sequel. Thats the mindset that made them slack. They thought they would have another shot, so they didnt push the envelop.

You cant blame the the consumers for not wanting to spend 60 bucks on a game that feels unfinished when theres a cheaper game out that has alot more content.

Let me get this straight:
1) A good Demo wouldnt have helped? I was excited for the game then I played the demo & my excitement went away. I didnt want to buy the game after that. The message boards lit up with bad feedback. Months later alot of people were saying they didnt buy it b/c the demo was bad.

2)Good footage wouldnt have helped? EA had a perfect opportunity With CBS for the Fedor/Rogers, Henderson/Shields fights to impress people. They put out horrid footage time & time again. What are the viewers at home thinking?

3) No to extra development time? Extra development time wouldve pretty much improved the game's basics & overall system.

I dont know if EA lied or what but they stated:
- All fighters will be unique, didnt happen.
- The grappling system would be Strike to pass, pass to strike, didnt happen.
- Basic moves you see in every MMA fight will be in, didnt happen
- they werent gonna be a 1 & done franchise there in it for the long haul, didnt happened.

I dont know whether to chalk it up to lying or limited development.

Months before EA MMA was set to release, THQ said they were gonna take a break & work on the next title. Many of us pleaded to EA, push the game back after the horrid footage & especially after we played the demo for ourselves. You can point to so many things & see they didnt have enough time, so its all on them not the consumers

[Avatar]

Actually I never said none of the things listed wouldn't have helped. I do believe they would have. What I said is, I dont think they would have saved the title. The franchise simply was not appealing enough towards the majority of the crowd I guess.

And I do agree the demo left a bad taste in my mouth. The first impression was complete disappointment, and it was not untill later that I truely started to appreciate the game. I guess thats something most people did not experience with the demo though. I could see them dropping it after a few rounds and never coming back again.

You are also right in saying the footage shown was bad. I don't exactly remember things but untill that stuff shown during Rogers/Fedor, it all looked amazing. And then that one trailer made me doubt the title.

As for the release, I did look that one up and the earliest report of no Undisputed in 2011 was a month after EA MMA was already released, by PastaPadre. http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/09/13/next-ufc-game-wont-arrive-until-2012
For that reason I still believe the release date was as good as it could have been. Ofcourse a delay would have helped more but as I said in my original post, and in the first line of this one, I don't believe it would have actually helped much towards the big bosses green lighting a sequel.

Great post Kid! This site was one of the best and I will miss the fighter debates, etc. Stik did a great job as did all of the mods. Many of the original members simply fell off the forums and that was a shame.

I bought UFC 3 and traded it in for MLB 2k12. Not flamming the game, but after playing EA MMA for so long, I just didn't care for the game. Just my personal preferrence.

Take care Kid.

Yari wrote:Actually I never said none of the things listed wouldn't have helped. I do believe they would have. What I said is, I dont think they would have saved the title. The franchise simply was not appealing enough towards the majority of the crowd I guess.

And I do agree the demo left a bad taste in my mouth. The first impression was complete disappointment, and it was not untill later that I truely started to appreciate the game. I guess thats something most people did not experience with the demo though. I could see them dropping it after a few rounds and never coming back again.

You are also right in saying the footage shown was bad. I don't exactly remember things but untill that stuff shown during Rogers/Fedor, it all looked amazing. And then that one trailer made me doubt the title.

As for the release, I did look that one up and the earliest report of no Undisputed in 2011 was a month after EA MMA was already released, by PastaPadre. http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/09/13/next-ufc-game-wont-arrive-until-2012
For that reason I still believe the release date was as good as it could have been. Ofcourse a delay would have helped more but as I said in my original post, and in the first line of this one, I don't believe it would have actually helped much towards the big bosses green lighting a sequel.

I agree that EA MMA is not a crossover title. However neither is Fight Night series. Those games do well but arent smash hits. I gurantee majority of the people that buy the FN games arent big fans, dont know majority of the fighters & probably dont watch any fights live. The games sell well because they are good combat sporting titles & marketed well.

Everyone was making the Tony Hawk vs SKATE comparison when putting UFC vs EA against eachother & how sells would go. The only difference is SKATE is a superior game to any Tony Hawk game. Cant say the same about EA MMA & UFC.

I just think EA higher ups screwed up big time. They werent looking at the bigger picture. They wanted to put the game out quick & worry about the product later.

The Devs screwed up by leaving out so much content & not putting in the most exciting aspects of the sport to get people interested in the title. People played the demo & thought it sucked. The game had no buzz or anything.

I honestly think EA as a whole could made the game sel better if they had the right mindset when presenting the game to the public. They had a great plaform but failed miserbly. Bad marketing, Limited content, Rushing the game, bad demo, stale gameplay, horrible footage releases. I dont know how they expected the game to do better.

I find it hard to believe if EA did the right stuff the game wouldve failed. Atleast it would be getting a sequel.

[Avatar]

If more people watched and enjoyed mma this game would of done alot better.

[Avatar]

agreed lots of people didnt get this game cause there were really no ufc guys in it and in the end only the hardcore or smarter mma fans got this game. I dont think many casual mma watchers bought this game

Join Caged Supremacy or our CAF Partner Online MMA

[Avatar]

Couldn't post for awhile, but the community leading up to the release of EA MMA was just so great. The fans were really knowledgeable, and it was a blast speculating on what the game would be like. It was even more enjoyable when EA actually delivered on the hardcore aspects of MMA.

Now, I'm stuck arguing with some of the worst MMA fans on the planet on the Undisputed boards. They're a bunch of uneducated Zuffa-zombies. I love Undisputed 3, but I miss this community and the excitement of such a bold sports title.

[Avatar]

Playcircus wrote:Couldn't post for awhile, but the community leading up to the release of EA MMA was just so great. The fans were really knowledgeable, and it was a blast speculating on what the game would be like. It was even more enjoyable when EA actually delivered on the hardcore aspects of MMA.

Now, I'm stuck arguing with some of the worst MMA fans on the planet on the Undisputed boards. They're a bunch of uneducated Zuffa-zombies. I love Undisputed 3, but I miss this community and the excitement of such a bold sports title.

Amen to that

EA SPORTS UFC  > EA SPORTS' Past MMA Games
Go to: