[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Origin launch protocols and no 'net availability  XML
Origin  > Ideas and Suggestions

Currently, Battlefield 3, when launched from bf3.exe will launch Origin, which launches a web browsing window, which launches origin again, and then finally launches bf3.exe. It's a waste of time and watching loading screen after loading screen is almost making me regret using Origin.

Also? No "Offline" mode. Meaning that I can't even play single player without having an internet connection. For me, not really an issue. However, there are times when a laptop user needs to travel or doesn't have a stable connection. Steam has implemented an offline mode, allowing you to access any of your games that have been stored in it's cache (aka, run at least once)

Between a convoluted system for starting a simple exe that could entirely bypass uselessness (I don't want to see my stats when I start the game, thanks, I want to PLAY the game.) and if Origin ever goes down or breaks, or suddenly a drunk guy runs over a telephone pole and I lose my internet connection, I can't play any Origin games.

Unless EA will compensate for a lack of oversight if for whatever reason their product is unavailable, I take an issue with these things.

Also, cheaters and abusers are creating an unpleasant environment that causes me to dislike your product, and is not offering the product you advertised to me. If you don't have 3 different processes to start the game, you could narrow down where the hackers are altering your product in such a way that is against the EULA.

Developer
[Avatar]

Braethias wrote:
Also? No "Offline" mode. Meaning that I can't even play single player without having an internet connection. For me, not really an issue. However, there are times when a laptop user needs to travel or doesn't have a stable connection. Steam has implemented an offline mode, allowing you to access any of your games that have been stored in it's cache (aka, run at least once)

Origin has an offline mode

Braethias wrote:
Also, cheaters and abusers are creating an unpleasant environment that causes me to dislike your product, and is not offering the product you advertised to me. If you don't have 3 different processes to start the game, you could narrow down where the hackers are altering your product in such a way that is against the EULA.

These things are more the responsibility of the studio making the game (e.g. DICE/Bioware) more than something Origin/EA are responsible for handling as it's their product.

Hope it helps
-dmex

Touche sir. It was well hidden and your guys at the online chat bit didn't know it existed. I still harumph at having to use web browser to launch the game. It's just too open to exploit.

Developer
[Avatar]

Braethias wrote:your guys at the online chat bit didn't know it existed.

Lol, why am I not surprised

Braethias wrote:I still harumph at having to use web browser to launch the game. It's just too open to exploit.

It's secure, I've run various security audits myself. Personally, I'm not much the fan for web-based server browsing, hopefully it'll be migrated into the Origin client at some point in the future.

-dmex

Origin  > Ideas and Suggestions
Go to: