[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Reading greens in expert mode  XML
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Online  > Tips, Hints, & Strategies

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to read greens in the expert mode. I do not see any visual clues as to break or whether the ground is level, going uphill or downhill.

Henry

[Avatar]

you can use the e key for selecting different camera angles

why cant this game's bugs be fixed? EA rough percentages are out of whack

You can switch from putt to pitch. In pitch mode you get a small bottom grid showing you how the ball will break right at the beginning. Very often, if your ball is close enough to the hole, you can project this break forward.
But be very, very careful when switching back to putt. The game will give you the 120 ft putter (if you 3-click), and you have to pay attention to bringing it back.

A lot comes down to memory of pin positions and green contours.

Expert with grids is laid out for you, but with expert and no grids, the best thing you can do is, when you're on the greens, you can also pitch, and whether or not you decide to putt or pitch, first set your shot up as a pitch. You'll get a mini grid, and that will show you how your ball will first start out. As for anything else in expert aiming mode, you'll just need to get a feel for game play, and figure out percentages.

Thanks for the tips. I'll just keep practicing.

[Avatar]

In addition to the "pitch preview" mentioned above, you can place the mouse cursor over the green on your Map of Hole, Click and Hold. This will allow you to Pan around the Green to gauge the elevation and Shadow Read at Distance. Any drastic change in shadowing on the Green between your Ball and the Cup indicates a change in the Break.

as far as putt % goes I use 80% of distance as my initial percentage. from there it is an educated guess of how much i need to add or subtract to get the right putt speed. (example: for a 20 foot putt, my base is at 16% which I then adjust for green conditions and elevation.) it takes practice and familiarity . but it is good to have a base %. i use the pitch mini-grid to get help with reading the break, but i , unlike others, will never pitch on a green. the other tools mentioned for lining up your putts are handy too , if you can figure them out. ( to be honest, they just confuse me)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/14/2012 15:29:21

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Online  > Tips, Hints, & Strategies
Go to: