[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Yard/Garage Sales  XML
Scrabble  > General Discussion - Off Topic

[Avatar]

I love them! The fun way to recycle! I have furnished a lot of my residences over the years by frequenting yard sales.

I also enjoy garage sales. Occasionally, you find that bargain, usually not. Normally just recycling another person's junk.. Great way to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon away from the house.

[Avatar]

ya, there can be a lot of junk ... but there can be some interesting stuff. Yesterday, we saw two mannequin torsos sitting side by side in a driveway .. that gave me a laugh And we saw a vcr at just about every stop ... the times sure have changed ... I remember when vcrs first came out and you could rent them at the movie store, along with your movies.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/15/2012 08:27:53

Lookilou, May I suggest " STORAGE WARS " or " WICKED TUNA " on cable TV, both shows are the same. Each has 3 to 4 main characters that are pitted against one another for personal gain. One is storage junk and the other is blue fin tuna. In my house we kindly refer to the above as WICKED TUNA WARS. Oh my!, this world has gone down the tuna tubes!

[Avatar]

Oh, my husband and i watch Storage Wars religiously! ... and Storage Wars Texas ... and occasionally Auction Hunters

[Avatar]

Lookilou wrote:ya, there can be a lot of junk ... but there can be some interesting stuff. Yesterday, we saw two mannequin torsos sitting side by side in a driveway .. that gave me a laugh And we saw a vcr at just about every stop ... the times sure have changed ... I remember when vcrs first came out and you could rent them at the movie store, along with your movies.

That is funny about seeing the mannequin torsos.

There must be a vcr in every household, just sitting there.

I wonder if the find of the old Palmer Union Oil Company stock certificate will ever result in big dollars being paid by Coca Cola?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/15/2012 09:01:19

I remember a storaqge wars episode where there were maqnequines worth $1100.00 each or was that Myth Busters using C4 to blow up manequines. Oh well your call.

[Avatar]

There must be a vcr in every household, just sitting there.

We had two of them for years ... we finally got rid of one, although I don't remember what we did with it ... but the other one we kept, as it is a vcr/dvd combo.

I wonder if the find of the old Palmer Union Oil Company stock certificate will ever result in big dollars being paid by Coca Cola?

It doesn't sound very promising.

I tend to be misunderstood on the forum and I'm good with that. I like to joke around and have fun. I find your GARAGE/Sales thread 100% more interesting than the other ones posted. Everyone, needs to lighten up and have some fun and simply enjoy the forum experience without ruining it for everyone else. Food for thought

[Avatar]

I think I remember that storage wars episode ... wasn't it a mannequin with a phone in it's hand, or something like that? Although I wouldn't doubt one bit that the mythbusters team blew up a mannequin! That's another show I love ... talk about having a job you're happy to go to every day!

And I'm with you about the forum experience ... I don't get anything out of making others feel bad, and I don't understand people who do.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/15/2012 10:20:46

I drove by a yard sale on a main 4 lane ave.on Sat. They usually don't interest me in the least but out of the corner of my eye I spotted something familiar.I slowed down,backed up and parked.What had caught my eye was a beautifully framed print of a portrait by Gustav Klimt,one of my favorite artists.I sauntered over ,trying not to look TOO interested. Finally I picked it up and said"Hmm, this looks interesting! What are you asking for it?" The lady replied "$10 bucks, it's French!" I opened up my wallet ...I had a five and three ones. "Will you take $8 ?".....it's hanging in my living room!

[Avatar]

Is that Klimt a painting or just a print?

His name is familiar to me. The Ontario Public TV channel TVO recently aired a documentary called The Rape of Europa. It is about art that was stolen from Jews by the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei in the late 1930's.

A Klimt painting called Adele Bloch-Bauer I was put up for auction in New York by its owner from, I think Minnesota, who's forebear had apparently "liberated" it from the home of a prominent member of the aforesaid party at the conclusion of WWII.

There is an organization dedicated to hunting art that had been stolen from Jewish families. They alerted the descendents of the Bloch-Bauer family, represented by Maria Altmann, the niece of the woman depicted in the painting, who stopped the sale and eventually regained ownership. They auctioned it off for $135 million in a New York auction in 2006.

Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I
Gustav Klimt, 1907

Maria Altmann and her co-heirs regained possession of 4 other Klimts after their long legal battle against the Austrian Museum of Art and also auctioned them off. They made a total of about $327 million for the five paintings.

Aside from the history of the artworks, the show was very interesting as it was actually an episode in a series about how art is authenticated and forgeries uncovered.

So if that Kilmt you have is original and not a print you are lucky indeed.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 04/17/2012 05:59:31

Don "Quixote" Noel
[WWW]

[Avatar]

She was the only model he painted twice. The second one sold for almost $88 million in 2006!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gustav_Klimt_047.jpg

It was interesting viewing many of his paintings here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Klimt

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 04/17/2012 06:11:42

[Avatar]

Wow!! There is a lot of good stuff to be found at those sales but I'm afraid I would end up with more junk than I already have.

[Avatar]

If you consider a flea market to be just a really big garage sale, I've made some book finds:

A first edition copy of Confessions of An English Opium-Eater by Thomas de Quincey

A first edition copy of The Sleeper Awakes by H.G. Welles. This book was the inspiration for the Woody Allen film Sleeper

A second edition copy of an anthology of poetry by Lord Alfred Tennyson. Not that valuable, but it has beautiful lithographs to illustrate the poems.

A tabloid-sized reprint from 1880 of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. This also includes reproductions of the famous woodcuts by Gustave Doré.

I got all of those for $0.25 in a box of books I didn't even really look through. A couple of other books on the top were the ones that caught my eye so finding these was a total surprise to me.

Don "Quixote" Noel
[WWW]
Scrabble  > General Discussion - Off Topic
Go to: