[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
LOVELY GAME with a few flaws that become glaring annoyances to the hardcore play...  XML
SSX  > SSX Feedback and Wishlists

First of all, this game is AAA plus in my opinion. Love it and have been playing for hours nearly each day since it dropped (55mil and nowhere near stopping). You've hit a very addictive combination with the risk/reward aspect of multiplayer. And the tracks are just beeyootiful.

If anything, I think most of the flaws in this game result from EA underestimating just how much people would love it, and play over and over and over again. Some of the minor flaws just start to pile up and become grinding annoyances after a hundred hours of play. Hoping to make the next one even better, I offer the following:

Simplest and most annoying, when looking through my current events, I need to see how much time is left, not the total duration of the event, in the upper right of the screen. First thing I do each night after work, is check my many current and see which ones might need a little 'buffing up' since other players have had 16 hours in which to try and drag my ratings down. Having to go into each drop (I'm usually running 12-24 events concurrently) and check the time remaining, then back out to Ridernet, is a constant annoyance. As a QA Lead with 15+ years experience (including a few years at EA), I totally understand how this would look like a very shippable C bug during testing, but the real life experience is much worse. If you ever do a patch (doubtful, I figure because the game is mostly solid), please consider prioritizing this incredibly simple and helpful fix. It will really make life better for us SSX addicts out here.

-

Your 'adaptive neural net' fails badly. The recommendation system constantly recycles crap that I am NOT interested in and I don't know how to make it stop. And while it was fun at first, I'm now getting really tired of scouting through the globe looking for the events I want to play. Fix the recommendation system and/or just let me search all the available events via filters.

Takes me to my next point:

Apparently there's some way to 'Favorite' drops, I'm still scouring the internet and forums trying to figure out HOW. Whatever it is, you should have made it more intuitive.

No print manual? Oh come on, you cheap bastards. At least put up an online manual.

-

Now for my complaints about equipment, inventory and the store. A lot of these are intertwined, a fix in any one of these areas would lessen the severity of the others, dig? But I'll just tackle them one by one.

Sometimes, I just can't believe how much useless crap I have to buy looking for something I would actually use. I see where you were going there, with the enjoyment of 'finding' a good item, and it's kind of cool, but I was just now trying to find a piece of Epic level 1 Armor, bought 20 items and still no Epic L1 Armor... annoying, and almost all of that stuff I will NEVER USE.

At one point, I tried buying a bunch of useless stuff and then selling it, just to get it out of the store... then it seemed like some of it showed up in the store again... GAAAAH!

300 variations of color on my outfits, that I have to purchase from the store, and they're really not all that different from one another. REALLY??? Either offer actually decent, unique looking cool gear, or just dispense with all those outfits and give us an in-app color-modification tool we can use ourselves.

I should be able to buy items of ANY level at any time, ESPECIALLY the mods. I might be doing a L11 drop but not really feeling the value of a L11 speed boost for this particular drop. Maybe I think that a L7 fits my needs. I shouldn't have to back out, locate an L7 drop, purchase the mods I want, back out, and relocate my target L11 drop.

Takes me to another big problem with Mods... the (X) button to recommend your gear is really great, and I rely on it heavily especially since there's so much JUNK in my inventory that I can't properly sort through it (see above), but here's the problem. The (X) recommend also equips Mods, which I do not use normally but like to have in my Inventory (again, see above). Removing these for each drop is a constant pain in the *. I wish you would have added a single press (Y) button to remove a piece of recommended gear, or perhaps have the (X) recommendation not include mod recommendations. Of course, if I could buy the level of items that I want regardless of the level of the drop (see above), I wouldn't feel the need to 'stock up' on low level mods, which again would reduce gear congestion (again, see above!).

~See how these equipment annoyances are intertwined?~

PLEASE let me sort or filter my gear. Browsing through 450 pieces of equipment, having to examine and compare each individually while looking for what I need right now is NOT FUN!!!

-

Did not care for most of the music. World Tour had such a great mix of genres, here the rock punk and metal is pretty lacking. I pared down the offered mix to the 'listenable' 10 tracks or so but after a couple hundred drops I was ready to climb the walls! Actually bought a hard drive JUST SO THAT I COULD PUT MY OWN MUSIC IN.

Customizing playlists in xbox 360 is a ridiculously slow and annoying process, I spent literally over 6 hours doing this for SSX. The result is awesome and I'm glad I put the time in, since it's a drop in the bucket of the hours that I play SSX, and it really enhances my enjoyment of the game. I know that this is Microsoft's problem and not EA's, but you guys swing a pretty big stick... I'd encourage you to try and convince the Xbox people to let us preview tracks WHILE we're deciding whether or not to include it in a playlist, or somehow convince them to let EA include an in-app playlist editor.

By the way, my mix is speed metal/80's hard rock for Race, punk for Tricks, and moody, apocalyptic tracks for Survival. Just wanted to share that, and PROPS for letting us separate these this way.

-

Peace out! Love you guys, love the game, seriously, just love it enough to encourage you to do better and I know you can.

- t

"And all I got to say to QA at EA, THQ, Activision, and the resta... is when your screen turns blue what the * you gonna do? Damn it feels good to be a testa"

Great post Like you, I am absolutely in love with the game overall, but it is a bit rough around the edges in spots.

One of my biggest complaints.............if you set a personal best in a GE, it does not get ported over to Explore. I have broken quite a few of my personal best times and scores in GEs, but once they are over, it is gone forever Sure I can probably replicate it with some effort in Explore, but if these times/scores would just port over I would not have to.

All in all though, I have not been this hooked on a game in a long, long time.

[quote=toe2323]Great post Like you, I am absolutely in love with the game overall, but it is a bit rough around the edges in spots.

One of my biggest complaints.............if you set a personal best in a GE, it does not get ported over to Explore. I have broken quite a few of my personal best times and scores in GEs, but once they are over, it is gone forever Sure I can probably replicate it with some effort in Explore, but if these times/scores would just port over I would not have to.

All in all though, I have not been this hooked on a game in a long, long time. [/quote]

If this was possible then there would be no use for mods. I only use mods in explorer to improve my personal best, never use them in GE and certainly not 1M legendary rocket mod.
Think it is perfect that there are two seperate game modes, well three counting world tour, and I am sure the developers thought of this.

I disagree. Even though I am competing against "the world" in GEs, I am also competing against my personal best trying to best that. For Example, on The Big Show GE that was running the better part of the last ~3 weeks with the 1,000,000 buy in, my best was 65+mil so that was always on my mind every run I had after that trying to beat it. My best in Explore is 62mil, so I really wish my high would get ported over since who knows how long it will be until I can match or beat it...........same with Serenity. I had a killer run (for me at least) the other day and hit 99mil which I have not been able to replicate yet in Explore which is frustrating. I use mods for both GEs and Explore because of this (I commonly dont use mods at all though for various reasons). Nothing more frustrating then having a breakthrough run and it does not port over to Explore.

The devs have mentioned that porting over your personal best from GEs if you set one is something they would have liked to incorporate, but this was another on a long list that time/resources did not allow for so I am hoping for a patch (as are many others).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/28/2012 14:35:47

TLiciousX wrote:First of all, this game is AAA plus in my opinion. Love it and have been playing for hours nearly each day since it dropped (55mil and nowhere near stopping). You've hit a very addictive combination with the risk/reward aspect of multiplayer. And the tracks are just beeyootiful.

If anything, I think most of the flaws in this game result from EA underestimating just how much people would love it, and play over and over and over again. Some of the minor flaws just start to pile up and become grinding annoyances after a hundred hours of play. Hoping to make the next one even better, I offer the following:

Simplest and most annoying, when looking through my current events, I need to see how much time is left, not the total duration of the event, in the upper right of the screen. First thing I do each night after work, is check my many current and see which ones might need a little 'buffing up' since other players have had 16 hours in which to try and drag my ratings down. Having to go into each drop (I'm usually running 12-24 events concurrently) and check the time remaining, then back out to Ridernet, is a constant annoyance. As a QA Lead with 15+ years experience (including a few years at EA), I totally understand how this would look like a very shippable C bug during testing, but the real life experience is much worse. If you ever do a patch (doubtful, I figure because the game is mostly solid), please consider prioritizing this incredibly simple and helpful fix. It will really make life better for us SSX addicts out here.

-

Your 'adaptive neural net' fails badly. The recommendation system constantly recycles crap that I am NOT interested in and I don't know how to make it stop. And while it was fun at first, I'm now getting really tired of scouting through the globe looking for the events I want to play. Fix the recommendation system and/or just let me search all the available events via filters.

Apparently there's some way to 'Favorite' drops, I'm still scouring the internet and forums trying to figure out HOW. Whatever it is, you should have made it more intuitive.

No print manual? Oh come on, you cheap bastards. At least put up an online manual.

-

Now for my complaints about equipment, inventory and the store. A lot of these are intertwined, a fix in any one of these areas would lessen the severity of the others, dig? But I'll just tackle them one by one.

Sometimes, I just can't believe how much useless crap I have to buy looking for something I would actually use. I see where you were going there, with the enjoyment of 'finding' a good item, and it's kind of cool, but I was just now trying to find a piece of Epic level 1 Armor, bought 20 items and still no Epic L1 Armor... annoying, and almost all of that stuff I will NEVER USE.

At one point, I tried buying a bunch of useless stuff and then selling it, just to get it out of the store... then it seemed like some of it showed up in the store again... GAAAAH!

300 variations of color on my outfits, that I have to purchase from the store, and they're really not all that different from one another. REALLY??? Either offer actually decent, unique looking cool gear, or just dispense with all those outfits and give us an in-app color-modification tool we can use ourselves.

I should be able to buy items of ANY level at any time, ESPECIALLY the mods. I might be doing a L11 drop but not really feeling the value of a L11 speed boost for this particular drop. Maybe I think that a L7 fits my needs. I shouldn't have to back out, locate an L7 drop, purchase the mods I want, back out, and relocate my target L11 drop.

Takes me to another big problem with Mods... the (X) button to recommend your gear is really great, and I rely on it heavily especially since there's so much JUNK in my inventory that I can't properly sort through it (see above), but here's the problem. The (X) recommend also equips Mods, which I do not use normally but like to have in my Inventory (again, see above). Removing these for each drop is a constant pain in the *. I wish you would have added a single press (Y) button to remove a piece of recommended gear, or perhaps have the (X) recommendation not include mod recommendations. Of course, if I could buy the level of items that I want regardless of the level of the drop (see above), I wouldn't feel the need to 'stock up' on low level mods, which again would reduce gear congestion (again, see above!).

~See how these equipment annoyances are intertwined?~

PLEASE let me sort or filter my gear. Browsing through 450 pieces of equipment, having to examine and compare each individually while looking for what I need right now is NOT FUN!!!

-

Did not care for most of the music. World Tour had such a great mix of genres, here the rock punk and metal is pretty lacking. I pared down the offered mix to the 'listenable' 10 tracks or so but after a couple hundred drops I was ready to climb the walls! Actually bought a hard drive JUST SO THAT I COULD PUT MY OWN MUSIC IN.

Customizing playlists in xbox 360 is a ridiculously slow and annoying process, I spent literally over 6 hours doing this for SSX. The result is awesome and I'm glad I put the time in, since it's a drop in the bucket of the hours that I play SSX, and it really enhances my enjoyment of the game. I know that this is Microsoft's problem and not EA's, but you guys swing a pretty big stick... I'd encourage you to try and convince the Xbox people to let us preview tracks WHILE we're deciding whether or not to include it in a playlist, or somehow convince them to let EA include an in-app playlist editor.

By the way, my mix is speed metal/80's hard rock for Race, punk for Tricks, and moody, apocalyptic tracks for Survival. Just wanted to share that, and PROPS for letting us separate these this way.

-

Peace out! Love you guys, love the game, seriously, just love it enough to encourage you to do better and I know you can.

- t

"And all I got to say to QA at EA, THQ, Activision, and the resta... is when your screen turns blue what the * you gonna do? Damn it feels good to be a testa"

LOL well i think the answer to all this in the topic title, the fact is you are a hardcore player...as a casual player i enjoy the game great, never had a single problem with it so far, the only thing i was ever really upset about was no splitscreen but i was long prepared for that by the time it came out.

no print manual? dude that is called being eco friendly, not cheap, and it isn't like there isn't an in game manual that can tell u all u want to know (unless you haven't managed to find this in which case i stifle a laugh)

the only complain i have with the store is that u can't see both sides of the board....WTF and sometimes they even get the board wrong, the one u purchase isn't quite like the one they show a pic off at all...WTF (755 bucks down the drain)
i've also failed to understand why all SSX games (aside from SSX 3) choose to give u boards with stats that already have a design on them...can't u just buy a board with stats then purchase the design seperatly?

Clothing colours are NOT always what they seem either...i bought Alexis a costume that claimed she had white pants....when she went onto the race they were black WTF.

SSX  > SSX Feedback and Wishlists
Go to: