[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Read and React concerns  XML
NCAA Football Series  > NCAA® Football Series General Discussion

Read and React sounds like a wonderful feature that will change the way that football video games should be played.
The only problem is the user not being confined to the same rules as they still allow user control to make blind swats and INTs or the prevention of "snap and fire" to TE's preventing them from looking for the ball based on the timing of their routes.

Both instances if user controlled eliminate the purpose of the new mechanic.

To change this a suggestion would be if a user selects a DB after the pass who is underneath and couldn't "read and react" to the ball in the air. Instead of user just being able to swat, user should have to HOLD either the swat or catch button until some kind of an indicator occurs for example, players reticule fills and flashes or controller vibrates

This indicator should be based on a timer related to that players awareness (AWR) rating to "locate the ball" and type of pass, before he can make a sound play on the ball. Releasing the button too soon will trigger in a "blind swat" animation and increase the chance for pass interference.
Here's how it plays out.

Defense plays man and user is playing DT.
After ball is thrown to WR user switches to player in position to make a play which turns out to be DB with back to QB who can't react to pass.
Player holds swat button, DB has high awareness so indicator occurs quickly, user releases button when he wants DB to attempt swat. DB will then make a swat while his head is turned toward the pass.

In scenero B
User holds swat button but DB has LOW awareness or pass is too fast and swats too early causing a blind swat animation which in turn hits WR hands without playing the ball and Pass Interference is called.

Mechanism would also apply for user catching as receiver also forcing users to abide to read and react rules giving them an opportunity to manually read based on receivers awareness to locate ball.

This way the cpu won't be the only one bound by read and react and it doesn't take all the user control away from the user but at the same time doesn't allow the user supercede the new rules and grant their players psychic abilities

Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Im understanding what your saying- good stuff.
If there challenging you with more differant QB throws-then add the same to on defense.

[Avatar]

users are bound by the read and react rules too. you wont be able to just switch to any player, swat the ball, and expect him to make a play on it every time.

baseballmvp2pt0 wrote:users are bound by the read and react rules too. you wont be able to just switch to any player, swat the ball, and expect him to make a play on it every time.

In the webcast they said they were not taking away user control E.G If you throw the ball to a WR while his icon is not lit the CPU won't make a catch it will be up to the user to make a user catch

Thats what I'm concerened about it users can get around it on offense what is in place to stop them on defense

Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

If you think about it as a user you playing read and react anyway you can't do anything until you see it on your screen. that's why you switch players you see the ball and try to make a play.

[Avatar]

Im also concerned about this. The issue is, the user has a 'God's eye' view of the field. Basing what the CPU does on what the players can "see" gives the CPU a disadvantage. This disadvantage will be addressed when the game is tuned for release. Traditionally, EA fixes these types of problems by juicing the CPU-controlled defenders. This is exactly what I, for one, don['t want. I would prefer to keep "psychic" defenders, but make them bound to the rules of physics and stop taking frames of animation out of their cuts and turns. I want a fair game that looks somewhat realistic. I can accept that if I can see the whole field while I'm playing, CPU defenders should be able to as well.

SaintTodd wrote:Im also concerned about this. The issue is, the user has a 'God's eye' view of the field. Basing what the CPU does on what the players can "see" gives the CPU a disadvantage. This disadvantage will be addressed when the game is tuned for release. Traditionally, EA fixes these types of problems by juicing the CPU-controlled defenders. This is exactly what I, for one, don['t want. I would prefer to keep "psychic" defenders, but make them bound to the rules of physics and stop taking frames of animation out of their cuts and turns. I want a fair game that looks somewhat realistic. I can accept that if I can see the whole field while I'm playing, CPU defenders should be able to as well.

i really don't think the CPU will really be at a disadvantage for the following reasons.

1 psychic DB's don't exist in real life anyways and DB's aren't limited by it that was put in really cause at the alarming rate those occured if they didn't how many easy passing TD's would there have been? The secondary didn't have many tools to work with so they had to depend on this system to keep the secondary from being worthless.

2 EA didn't just throw read and react on top of existing code the whole system according to them has been changed defenders will have more options and coverages available to put players in better positon than ever before to complement read and react their A.I script from 13 to previous installments will be completely different. for example the CB will acutally play differently if there's a safety over the top and they will actually work together to make a play

3 It's user cheese that will ruin this online if the user still uses snap and fire offense to a non looking TE he can still user them and complete the snap and fire. I'm wondering how effective defenses will be able to cover not only other CPU's but users cheeses to take advantage

i mean seriously we saw how the QB just threw into the gap of the zones all we need is to have a human QB lob it to that hole have their TE on a fly then just user the TE to get under that pass regardless of the TE was looking or not

I'm afraid that the rocket catchers of years past will dominate because one they are already good at user catches so they get a free pass and they don't have to play by the rules of read and react leaving the defense handicapped I'm more concerened with user on user crime smh

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2012 23:08:45

[Avatar]

@Cable-Dawg, I had a little trouble understanding your post (work on puncuation, please), but I think I got the idea of what you're saying.
1. I don't think psychic DBs were the issue, but rather the fact that DBs were vastly quicker and faster than receivers. I'd like them to get away from this, and the read and react system seems like it will force them to double down on juiced defenders.
2. Don't forget, EA promised improved zone coverage last year. Instead they made safties play shallower and juiced them to be able to catch up to WRs who ran past them. The zone coverage was not improved at all.
3. You seem to be making my point. If users have the ability to take control of WRs at any time, we will have an advantage over the CPU, who won't be programmed to stop the old 'throw it to the TE up the middle on blitz before he's looking' technique we've all used.
NCAA Football Series  > NCAA® Football Series General Discussion
Go to: