[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Must rant or else throw controller... (video)  XML
NCAA Football Series  > NCAA® Football Series General Discussion
Author Message




Joined: 06/28/2011 22:17:01
Messages: 214
Offline



I'm so angry right now I can't talk and I don't feel like throwing my good controller, so I have to type. Over the last year I've accepted the fact that NCAA Football 12 is deeply flawed, so I should expect annoyances when playing it. This is too much. Now I remember why I stopped playing 12 in October.

As you can tell from the video, my safeties (Purdue #22 and #29) have apparently never heard of Cover 2 Man. I guess one of the virtual coaches on my team explained to them that the goal of the safeties was to bunch up in the middle of the field thereby allowing multiple receivers behind them.

Not only was this single play absolutely infuriating, so were the previous 20 minutes of game time. A complete list of my grievances:

1) 4 sacks in the first two drives.

2) I held Washington to 60 yards in the first half, and so far they have 200 rushing and 130 passing yards in the 3rd quarter.

3) Why does EVERY SINGLE QB in the game take off scrambling every other play? I literally counted and out of 11 pass plays the QB scrambled 7 times. This is typical for one of my games.

4) How horrible is the CPU play calling? All they run are screens, four verticals, and draws. Literally 90% of the time.

5) I seriously want to put this one in all caps because I'm fuming as I think about this one, but WTF is up with running backs? I have never (completely serious, never) successfully truck-sticked a defender with a running back, and yet the CPU running backs get AT LEAST 2-3 broken tackles per play. Why is there such a discrepancy?

6) Why does the CPU defense run 1-5-5 Prowl when I'm in Shotgun 4WR? I'm obviously passing and having 7-8 on the line is pretty stupid considering all I have to do is audible to 4WR streaks and someone is open?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/29/2012 23:01:16





Joined: 06/13/2009 13:52:10
Messages: 132
Offline

I agree with you on all counts. all of these flaws in the game are pretty rough, so I just cut my losses and sold the game.

I love running the ball, particularly the option out of the flex and wishbone. But the option game is pretty weak, and as you alluded to, the truck stick is more of a concept than an actual tool at my disposal.

I don't think I'm going to buy NCAA 13 this year. Ill rent or borrow it, but if it dosent blow me away, there is no way im buying it. I feel like i have wasted my money the last several years on these games as I have not gotten any joy out of it anymore. I DO however do enjoy the last gen installments of the game. (NCAA 08, Original XBOX) I would recommend it if you are that frustrated, my good friend.



[Avatar]
Joined: 08/27/2011 19:35:41
Messages: 749
Offline

the thing that's been * me off lately has been the all or nothing type philosphy in player interactions, specifically wr/db battles.

i've reloaded USC in one of my offline dynasties, to the point where every starter is at least a 93 ovr. my top 3 corners are all 95+ ovr, have 94+ awareness ratings, have 96+ play recognition, 94+ man coverage, 93+ zone coverage, and 91+ press ratings.

with those kind of corners, i play bump n run coverage all game long. it frustrates the heck outta me, when i see one of those 3 corners get burned by a 70 something ovr wr, with only a mid 60's or low 70's release rating. my corners are not playing elite wr talent every game, and yet it frequently happens where they get tossed aside like ragdolls, and the cpu is able to throw a 30 yard pass to that receiver.






Joined: 07/14/2009 14:28:42
Messages: 94
Offline

2 steps forward and 1 step back
This forum is DEAD now, what happened? People got frustrated and gave up on the game?




Joined: 06/28/2011 22:17:01
Messages: 214
Offline

baseballmvp2pt0 wrote:the thing that's been * me off lately has been the all or nothing type philosphy in player interactions, specifically wr/db battles.

i've reloaded USC in one of my offline dynasties, to the point where every starter is at least a 93 ovr. my top 3 corners are all 95+ ovr, have 94+ awareness ratings, have 96+ play recognition, 94+ man coverage, 93+ zone coverage, and 91+ press ratings.

with those kind of corners, i play bump n run coverage all game long. it frustrates the heck outta me, when i see one of those 3 corners get burned by a 70 something ovr wr, with only a mid 60's or low 70's release rating. my corners are not playing elite wr talent every game, and yet it frequently happens where they get tossed aside like ragdolls, and the cpu is able to throw a 30 yard pass to that receiver.


I agree with this being a problem. Another thing that bugs me about ratings is that trucking a defender has nothing to do with the strength of the RB or the size of the defender. In this same game I had an 180 pound QB with 70 trucking and 65 break tackle absolutely destroy my 320 pound DT with 90 strength. But when I run the ball my 220 pound running back can't run through their 160 pound DB.

I don't understand why size doesn't play a factor in these obvious mismatches. Why should recruit power backs when the game doesn't allow them to do what they're good at? Basically this game is just saying that as long as your player is faster then you'll win.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/30/2012 19:13:29




[Avatar]
Joined: 05/01/2012 00:04:20
Messages: 8
Offline

[quote=Gam_B1t]2 steps forward and 1 step back
This forum is DEAD now, what happened? People got frustrated and gave up on the game?[/quote]

Yes... This is the first time I have been back in 7 Months. NCAA 12 was horrible. They literally butchered the game. I played all the other previous NCAA games until early June every year. I was done with NCAA 12 by late September. Do better EA. Do Better.




Joined: 06/28/2011 22:17:01
Messages: 214
Offline

Wow, my other post got deleted. That's cool...

All I was saying is that I feel like we shouldn't have to pay the full $60 for this year's game which will only be half-fixed. If there's something wrong with that statement, that's fine, but I feel like somebody EA-affiliated thought that comment didn't belong on this forum. I want that EA-affiliated person to know that I'm not the only person who feels that way about NCAA 13, and that this forum should be a place to freely express opinions (exception being hateful ones).



[Avatar]
Joined: 08/27/2011 19:35:41
Messages: 749
Offline

Lucky_14s wrote:Wow, my other post got deleted. That's cool...

All I was saying is that I feel like we shouldn't have to pay the full $60 for this year's game which will only be half-fixed. If there's something wrong with that statement, that's fine, but I feel like somebody EA-affiliated thought that comment didn't belong on this forum. I want that EA-affiliated person to know that I'm not the only person who feels that way about NCAA 13, and that this forum should be a place to freely express opinions (exception being hateful ones).
THEN DONT BUY IT!

no one is forcing you to buy this game. if you cant make the justification that the game is worth $60 to you, dont spend your money on it. its that simple. problem solved.




Senior Moderator
[Avatar]
Joined: 06/03/2010 22:33:46
Messages: 3789
Location: Wichita, KS
Offline

baseballmvp2pt0 wrote:
Lucky_14s wrote:Wow, my other post got deleted. That's cool...

All I was saying is that I feel like we shouldn't have to pay the full $60 for this year's game which will only be half-fixed. If there's something wrong with that statement, that's fine, but I feel like somebody EA-affiliated thought that comment didn't belong on this forum. I want that EA-affiliated person to know that I'm not the only person who feels that way about NCAA 13, and that this forum should be a place to freely express opinions (exception being hateful ones).
THEN DONT BUY IT!

no one is forcing you to buy this game. if you cant make the justification that the game is worth $60 to you, dont spend your money on it. its that simple. problem solved.


GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT LOGIC!

[WWW]



[Avatar]
Joined: 08/27/2011 19:35:41
Messages: 749
Offline

Stanimal032 wrote:
baseballmvp2pt0 wrote:
Lucky_14s wrote:Wow, my other post got deleted. That's cool...

All I was saying is that I feel like we shouldn't have to pay the full $60 for this year's game which will only be half-fixed. If there's something wrong with that statement, that's fine, but I feel like somebody EA-affiliated thought that comment didn't belong on this forum. I want that EA-affiliated person to know that I'm not the only person who feels that way about NCAA 13, and that this forum should be a place to freely express opinions (exception being hateful ones).
THEN DONT BUY IT!

no one is forcing you to buy this game. if you cant make the justification that the game is worth $60 to you, dont spend your money on it. its that simple. problem solved.


GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT LOGIC!
lol






Joined: 06/28/2011 22:17:01
Messages: 214
Offline

baseballmvp2pt0 wrote:
Stanimal032 wrote:
baseballmvp2pt0 wrote:
Lucky_14s wrote:Wow, my other post got deleted. That's cool...

All I was saying is that I feel like we shouldn't have to pay the full $60 for this year's game which will only be half-fixed. If there's something wrong with that statement, that's fine, but I feel like somebody EA-affiliated thought that comment didn't belong on this forum. I want that EA-affiliated person to know that I'm not the only person who feels that way about NCAA 13, and that this forum should be a place to freely express opinions (exception being hateful ones).
THEN DONT BUY IT!

no one is forcing you to buy this game. if you cant make the justification that the game is worth $60 to you, dont spend your money on it. its that simple. problem solved.


GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT LOGIC!
lol


Go ahead and say what you want, as I assume you're some of the people who are already 100% sold on this year's game. If so, I'm pretty sure you're the minority.

I've already explained this a hundred times, but I guess I'll do it again. I've logged in excess of 100 hours (safe estimate) on each NCAA Football title since 2005 on the Xbox. I've enjoyed some great moments with this franchise. The developers know who their fan base is, and they try to cater to them as much as possible. I've tried countless times to convert my friends from Madden to NCAA because, in my opinion, not only is college football superior to the NFL but NCAA titles are usually better than Madden as well.

I'm not trying to complain here, all I'm saying is that I'm a part of the fan base that considers themselves snubbed by the overall failures of NCAA 12. I appreciate the fact that the developers appear to be spending so much time and effort on this year's release and it shows that they haven't completely forgotten about us, the consumers. I just feel like it's not enough sometimes, and this is one those times.

No need to jump down my throat, I fully understand that my own personal decision to buy this game should be based on whether the reward of playing it outweighs the cost. The only reason I created that earlier post is that after last year I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people think the reward will not be enough. And if you're a fan of this franchise like I am, you might getting a little worried about its future.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/02/2012 06:58:58




[Avatar]
Joined: 08/27/2011 19:35:41
Messages: 749
Offline

Lucky_14s wrote:
No need to jump down my throat, I fully understand that my own personal decision to buy this game should be based on whether the reward of playing it outweighs the cost.


very true, but you also said that you felt the game wasnt worth $60 since they only upgraded half of it. you cant have both outcomes here, where you want the game, but then also want it for half price. either buy it or dont.

Lucky_14s wrote: The only reason I created that earlier post is that after last year I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people think the reward will not be enough. And if you're a fan of this franchise like I am, you might getting a little worried about its future.


nope, i actually have more hope for the future. they're bringing in more and more people from the communities every year and they're scrapping their old tech. they're getting more in touch with how their fans want to play the game. since both future gen consoles will utilize blue ray players (and assuming games will still be made on physical discs), then the potential ceiling for ncaa will be far higher than anything we've had in the last 20 years.

the devs know they f'ed up on 12. they didnt anticipate the transfer failed error and the reason it took so long for it to be kinda fixed, was that it could have literally happened anywhere. it wasnt caused by one little typo in the code. anything could set off the transfer failure error. one of the things that ea probably wont address as a feature in 13, but is there nonetheless, is a new bug reporting system. it'll allow them to fix more bugs faster, since now they know the exact situation in which it happened and what set it off.






Joined: 06/28/2011 22:17:01
Messages: 214
Offline

baseballmvp2pt0 wrote:
Lucky_14s wrote:
No need to jump down my throat, I fully understand that my own personal decision to buy this game should be based on whether the reward of playing it outweighs the cost.


very true, but you also said that you felt the game wasnt worth $60 since they only upgraded half of it. you cant have both outcomes here, where you want the game, but then also want it for half price. either buy it or dont.

Lucky_14s wrote: The only reason I created that earlier post is that after last year I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people think the reward will not be enough. And if you're a fan of this franchise like I am, you might getting a little worried about its future.


nope, i actually have more hope for the future. they're bringing in more and more people from the communities every year and they're scrapping their old tech. they're getting more in touch with how their fans want to play the game. since both future gen consoles will utilize blue ray players (and assuming games will still be made on physical discs), then the potential ceiling for ncaa will be far higher than anything we've had in the last 20 years.

the devs know they f'ed up on 12. they didnt anticipate the transfer failed error and the reason it took so long for it to be kinda fixed, was that it could have literally happened anywhere. it wasnt caused by one little typo in the code. anything could set off the transfer failure error. one of the things that ea probably wont address as a feature in 13, but is there nonetheless, is a new bug reporting system. it'll allow them to fix more bugs faster, since now they know the exact situation in which it happened and what set it off.


I agree that the ceiling for this franchise will be much higher on the future-gen consoles, but I think you've forgotten what happened the last time we looked forward to a "next-gen". There was a noticeable improvement in the graphics, but everything else about the game experienced a steep drop-off in quality. The game's features were stripped, and gameplay felt like it got sent back to the stone age. It's only been in the last 2-3 years that I think the games have finally surpassed the quality we saw on the last-gen consoles.

I don't really want to wait several cycles before the game is even worth buying again. And yes I probably will end up buying this year's game. Last year's debacle just makes it that much tougher of a decision.

And don't tell me you really think "transfer failed" is the only thing wrong with NCAA 12.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2012 12:37:22




[Avatar]
Joined: 10/03/2009 14:04:35
Messages: 351
Location: Elgin, Il
Offline

And since they never figured out how to solve the 'transfer failed' issue, there's no guarantee it won't resurface in NCAA 13. I suspect the issue is more with their servers than with the game.



[Avatar]
Joined: 08/27/2011 19:35:41
Messages: 749
Offline

Lucky_14s wrote:I agree that the ceiling for this franchise will be much higher on the future-gen consoles, but I think you've forgotten what happened the last time we looked forward to a "next-gen". There was a noticeable improvement in the graphics, but everything else about the game experienced a steep drop-off in quality. The game's features were stripped, and gameplay felt like it got sent back to the stone age. It's only been in the last 2-3 years that I think the games have finally surpassed the quality we saw on the last-gen consoles.

I don't really want to wait several cycles before the game is even worth buying again. And yes I probably will end up buying this year's game. Last year's debacle just makes it that much tougher of a decision.

And don't tell me you really think "transfer failed" is the only thing wrong with NCAA 12.
no i remember perfectly that during the switch to the current gen, the game had to be rewritten from scratch. not only that, but iirc, they also switched to a new coding software on their computers as well, so it wasnt as easy as copying and pasting the old code into the new software and expecting it to work perfectly.

i'm assuming that that scenario wont happen again; mostly because the newer software (assuming they got it from the same company as whatever they're using now) would probably be able to port an older model of their software over, with little harm done to the coding. so no, i dont expect a huge dropback in which this game is sent back to the stone age once again when a new generation of consoles comes out.


NCAA Football Series  > NCAA® Football Series General Discussion
Go to: