[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
who can tell me why my wedges in tour mode come up short...  XML
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion

sometimes (but not all the time) they only go like half of what they should. Is it just one wedge? is it because I hit slow? is it from using loft? I don't know. someone, please explain...

neon_tooth wrote:sometimes (but not all the time) they only go like half of what they should. Is it just one wedge? is it because I hit slow? is it from using loft? I don't know. someone, please explain...

With 52, 56, 60 and pwedge, I find that shots from like 50-100 yards you have to hit pretty much full power under ideal slope, hole position, etc... Wind doesn't affect the ball as much b/c it isn't in the air as long. Wedge shots under 50 yrds or so require using less power but you just have to gauge it by feel and just what seems the ideal power.

I dig what you're saying. It's just that I'm trying to hit, say 70 yards, hit full with a little loft and it will go 50.

am I the only one this is happening to (in tour pro and tour)?

[Avatar]

neon_tooth wrote:I dig what you're saying. It's just that I'm trying to hit, say 70 yards, hit full with a little loft and it will go 50.

am I the only one this is happening to (in tour pro and tour)?

As you add loft, the distance it will travel will get shorter (regardless of wind), you may need to go up an additional club, or adjust your distance before swinging.

Xbox 360: Chivalrous1
Country Club: Chivalry
CC Forums: http://chivalry.freeforums.org/
CC Info: http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/country-clubs/profile/360/7235
Wakka... Wakka... Wakka...

i cant speak for the controller guys on this one, but Kinect in TourPro/Hard or Tournament/Expert is tough. i thought that finding a good repeatable swing with the right arc and pace would be toughest with the driver...it is NOT!!!

shot distance is a critical bit o' business with the wedges...they take their own learning curve to get the arc and pace. if you are in-between clubs, the area i found to be the middle third of a wedges distance, thats when you should really be looking at a manually set "Stance" shot. i usually club up to the PW, and set it for a Pitch.

you just gotta work on it. hit the short game area in the Practice facility (hope you got the Masters CE)

it's tough, you are not really doing anything wrong, you just havent found the right way yet.

JC

[WWW]

I think wedges have a mind of their own.
I play Tournament difficulty and have had wedges either come up short or fly more times than I care to think about.

What it seems like is you pretty much have to hit them.
Don't hit them too slow or they really die.Fill up most of that Blue (slow).And don't be shy on the backswing.
I've found the best thing for me is to just use the slider to take a bit off and then hit the shot full.
When you start messing with them they just do crazy things.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2012 06:02:53

playing with Kinect, i've found the best approach to the wedges is to have a mental picture of a Freddy Couples or Ernie Els swing...2 of the PGA guys famous for solid shots and distance from a deceivingly easy and syruppy swing.

it's worked for me mostly, and we all have to find our own mental tricks.

again, if Kinect, try a 2-piece but smooth backswing...the first part being straight back past your back foot, before taking the arc up over your shoulder. set the wrist to your ear without letting the hands disappear behind your head (the Kinect wont like it, and cant see your hands behind your head or body). then smoothly transition to the downswing, staying on plane. push it down just a little, but let gravity do the work. a good pace will have you following through nicely and naturally on it's own.

swing plane...it's a no-brainer and we all know that we're not taking a real golf swing here, and everything needs to be more vertical. but, that doesnt mean that it's one size fits all. to my experience some difference is required. try looking straight down at a driver shot, but try to put short irons and wedges below your mouth or chin.

JC

[WWW]

[Avatar]

I call the lob wedge the mystery wedge. Never know what it will do. But yea if you dont hammer it from 75 yards out it goes short every time.

SIM MODE PLAYER(xbox)

THE COUNTRY CLUB MEMBER

UHAVELOFT

[Avatar]

This might sound obvious, but being that these are the modes where you have to hold the strike meter it might be legitimate. Is the strike meter PERFECTLY center. I know that the wedges are most affected by the strike meter being even 1 or 2 clicks off center. Just a thought.

mega8deth8 PSN
Caddykillaz!! CC (No more dramas, come get it)
Am/Tourn/Sim Player

mega8deth8 wrote:This might sound obvious, but being that these are the modes where you have to hold the strike meter it might be legitimate. Is the strike meter PERFECTLY center. I know that the wedges are most affected by the strike meter being even 1 or 2 clicks off center. Just a thought.

i will jump on this theory bandwagon, i have found that the slightest bit to much loft on the strike meter and the ball comes up unreasonably shorter than i think it should. the strike meter is a delicate beast, and needs "just the right touch" for it to be friendly to you.

My 64 degree wedge is supposed to go 97 yards. And it usually does. But I have played games where hitting it from the fairway, without changes to loft or strike, that the club simply will not go past 60 yds. I'm talking about your typical overswing/slow on Tournament. (Thank-you for not suggesting I must be doing something wrong or I don't know what I am talking about). It is as if the club suddenly changes it's maximum distance to 60 yds instead of 97 yds. And if I take a shot set to 80 yds, it goes 45 or so. But this has happened maybe 4 games in several hundred.
So it seems to be a glitch in the game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2012 17:16:32

PS3

I use xbox controller in Tour Pro mode and i reckon that tempo is more and more hard to replicate shot after shot with the more lofted clubs. It seems more fickle with the wedges. Thats what i'm blaming it on from my experience as I can relate to what you are saying cuz it happens to me too.

I agree with what Senator states - u r best off making sure u set up what u think, then hit em good.

For a game that seems to be trying so hard to be more realistic/simulator type of game, it is kind of funny that it is easier to get your approach shot close with a long iron than it is with a wedge...

[Avatar]

I hate when Im like 50 yards out 20mph wind in my face hitting into a elevated green. I know with my lob wedge the wind dosent effect the shot as much. So if I take the shot and only factor in the elevation I usually end up way short. Then if I factor the wind in a little there will be times when I completly fly over the green... I hate that Lob Wedge...LOL

[Avatar]

[quote=vachief]For a game that seems to be trying so hard to be more realistic/simulator type of game, it is kind of funny that it is easier to get your approach shot close with a long iron than it is with a wedge... [/quote]

lmao so true!

SIM MODE PLAYER(xbox)

THE COUNTRY CLUB MEMBER

UHAVELOFT

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion
Go to: