[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Haters Anonymous....  XML
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion

My name is KickingGuru and I am a TW Hater.....

If you find yourself getting upset at seeing low scores in Tournaments and feeling that they have to be cheating... I feel your pain... I too once felt the same way.. I even acted on it in a PM to Oblong and Tim.... (Sorry KennySq it was you I felt was an issue..) Then a funny thing happened... I got better at the game....

Now I feel ashamed for even bringing it up privately. Guys are that good at the game. It is possible to be that good. You can make all the excuses you want about multiple tries, pins, controllers, ect... Bottom line... The best in the world in the game are simply that in any way you make them play. They understand all of the nuances in the swing, math, and course management. They will beat you straight up...

You can have all of the conspiracy theories you want to make yourself feel good, but the truth is there is always someone better than you at the game. Just because you have not figured it out, does not mean others have not either.

If your a hater, and you are reading this... consider just for a second that you could be wrong... Admit to yourself others are better and a world of relief will flow over you. I promise you will feel better about yourself at the end of the day. My suggestion is to compete to get better.. If top 100 is the best you can do.. shoot for top 80.. Once there.. maybe top 25... Golf is more about competing against yourself than others anyway. Getting better is the goal... Stop worrying about why others are better than you....

Have fun with this one ladies and gentleman. I simply am getting tired of the hate top players are receiving right now....

Late,

The Guru

Tiger 14 (Xbox 360)... Total Online Play Country Club... We have a forum/message board at www.TotalOnlinePlay.com ...one central place for questions, comments, and feedback.. To join go there and request a spot.......

[Avatar]

Great thread KickingGuru, thumbs up to you...

I feel for KennySq and have talked to him about the subject a couple times now. He warned me that if I started winning more than a few daily tournaments, the hate mail would start to flow. Sadly... He was right.

I just don't understand why people assume that the person who wins is automatically a cheater or is breaking some unwritten rules. And on top of that feel the need to send them derogatory messages. The concept of unwritten rules of play is foreign to me, I guess I missed that part of the memo? Regardless of how I play the game, since that has nothing to do with the bigger issue... EA has made certain rules, and you should expect people to play by them, whether you like the rules or not. You don't have to like pins or restarts, but you surely can't force your own custom, house rules on other players. And to go a step further and try to shame other players for not following your house rules is ridiculous. I may not like pins and restarts personally, but I most certainly do not expect others to play by my rules. I play the events for fun and the challenge they present, and I play them the way I want to, within the rules EA has set up. I expect others to do the same... Whatever that is they decide to do.

So listen to what KickingGuru has to say and take it to heart, it is great advice... Otherwise if you have a problem with someone, keep it to yourself, and grow up.

Peace,
SkinniePost

Note: Kinda of funny timing for this thread... Considering a good number of the threads on or near the first page of this forum in some way reference distaste for how other people choose to play a game.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/02/2012 16:32:41

I remember when I started out I wondered the same thing, then I read this and quit making excuses and just tried to improve.
Holey2 wrote:The trick is to know the spots to hit it in the fairway to give yourself a nice flat spot to hit from.

Then, if you lay back a distance of 130 to 140, then you can hit a club that you can truly gage the spin of. If you can learn to judge the first bounce and the resulting spin you can really start to learn how to spin the ball with some skill, most newbies treat spin as a safety chord. If you know your distances and you know the pin positions, you can almost always land the ball and give the ball a decent chance of a hole out. If you can get close enough to the green so that you can flop of pitch the ball at the hole with the hope of making the shot, do that. The key is finding out what works for you, then perfect it. The best guys are almost always pin hunting.

Your goal should be to hit each green in regulation and one putt each time. Once that becomes routine for you, then you can push yourself to try and make multiple shots each round. Its all a learning process. Play more tour mode. If you can learn how drive your ball into good spots in the fairway, then hit accurate shots into the green without spin, then learning how to putt without the putt cam, then playing the daily will become much much easier. The game is super easy, you just have to approach it from the proper perspectives.

lol that took a while to find

Just got my Hori-Keyboard in the mail so I'll be at the top soon enough.

[Avatar]

Mega_8 PSN
Caddykillaz!! CC (No more dramas, come get it)
Am/Tourn/Sim Player

[Avatar]

I agree with the premise that, for most users, there is someone better than them...

I know I am probably not the best with boosts/spin on- simply because I don't think that's realistic at all- and not because I wouldn't want to improve at it... I've never turned it on to begin with.... first thing I did when I got the game was simply to disable spin.

Nevertheless, I prefer a reasonable swing tempo, pre-shot setup, and Non-random results; so, choosing am/no spin/no pins makes me a, "custom" player... when, I'm really just trying to play golf the way it's intended, without having the game start taking over... and without having to intentionally misuse clubs to get the desired results. The only random thing I would like in this game is the actual hole pin positions... so that people couldn't map out courses, including myself.

I'm not a noob hunter by any stretch. In fact, I've played just as many players with a winning record, than without... and, a few players with zero losses, only one loss, or a few losses, in the 80's and 90's LVL, with hundreds of games under their belt. My current LVL is 98, if you're wondering.

Today, I played someone that was 12-0, LVL 95; and, I expected that they would put up a good challenge... despite their newish undefeated record. (Some people have more than one username) Nevertheless, I promptly finished them off, 9 & 8... so, they were obviously a noob hunter, that had only just decided to jump into the fray. I'd be surprised if they weren't discouraged, at least a little bit, to do that again. But, conversely, if I lost like that... it would simply mean (to me) that I just needed to work on my game. You'd be surprised how much you can learn simply by playing/spectating other talented players. I've just been fortunate to get by whilst learning.

Bottom line, I'm a head to head/match player, and I won't play with boosts/spin/caddie on- under any circumstances... which is why my course of choice is Augusta... because, Augusta is the only course that most everyone understands is designed to be played without the boost/spin- it's not even allowed in career mode.

I'm willing to admit that I could lose if I played with boosts/spin on, especially on shorter tees. But, I play the way I do, because I like to take the improbable out of the equation. I want someone to have to stand up and play golf, risk/reward style. So, on my settings, until proven otherwise... I have to believe that- at least without boosts/spin on- at Augusta- dry/tournament conditions... there's no one better.

I'm willing to admit that setting the game turf means something. But, it's not like everyone else hasn't played Augusta plenty as well. But, clearly, not everyone is playing the more difficult courses regularly. In fact, I look forward to playing the fantasy courses, when they're all released... because, unlike some of the real tracks... they actually test one's all around game, and do so very well.

I'm ok with people believing whatever they want about home-field advantage. But, I'm not doing anything special or scientific... just playing without the arcade boosts in dry conditions. In the end, I know that the road to success wasn't, and isn't easy, and I've had my share of scares while learning, that frankly, turned out to be some firecracker matches, that are unfortunately, few and far between.

If anyone is looking for a good match, or to exchange tips, send me a PM and we'll exchange info. I'm always looking to improve, and have fun in the process. Just, please respect that I choose to play am/no boosts/no spin, Augusta or a Fantasy track.

I also set my games up in the general match area, for those of you... brave souls.

P.S. Xbox Live.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2012 17:53:22

I got a bit frustrated with the game last year b/c i couldn't compete at a high level. Some of it was from a natural competitive nature in me but most of it was because many moons ago I used to play Links on the PC and I was one of the better players at the time, consistently putting up -25 to -28's. But real life does what it does and i got away from virtual golf for quite a few years until TW 12.

It took me a couple years to get to the level i was at in Links on a consistent basis. My ego believed that I should be inehrently good at TW since I was so good on the other game. I was WAY too serious about it. That's never good for a video game. It ends up being a lesson in aggravation that I could do without.

This year my mental state for the game is much different. I understand it's going to take a while. It's going to take the same type of practice and dedication I had before. Patience is a virtue with this.

With that new outlook, I'm enjoying the game, having fun and improving. I can hit -20's but not consistently yet. But I'll get there. Until then, I do the best I can each round and take what I can get, understand the mistakes i did make and work on improving them.

PS3 = nevadaballin

Country Club = Ball Bangers CC (Public Club - We have room for more, come join us!)

[Avatar]

TLVX...you are basically playing a simplified version of tour pro...why not just play tour? I wish a had XBOX..I'd train my 6 yr old to play 1 course over and over and maybe he'd be as good as you.

Not sure how fun it would be to play the same set over and over..I think I'd pull my teeth out..but to each there own..

Sorry for hijacking OP

www.thegamesvillage.com ...

I agree with what you say and am working to get better. My question is what combination of eagles/birdies/pars are required to shoot a 26 in 18 holes? Also, what do the players that shoot these ultra-low scores gain from playing in an Amateur tournament? I play and watch real golf and have never seen such low scores. Am I missing something? Obviously, I am new to the game and am enjoying it, so far.

[Avatar]

pakratt957 wrote:I agree with what you say and am working to get better. My question is what combination of eagles/birdies/pars are required to shoot a 26 in 18 holes? Also, what do the players that shoot these ultra-low scores gain from playing in an Amateur tournament? I play and watch real golf and have never seen such low scores. Am I missing something? Obviously, I am new to the game and am enjoying it, so far.

If par is 72 and there are 4 par 5's...birdie every par 3 and 4 and eagle all thee par 5's and that's -22..get 4 holeouts and that's -26. Amateur is a mode of play..not something defining one's abilities..the reason we play is to holeout..it's fun.

Most am guys that shoot the low scores also do well in the other modes..same game just play it a little differently.

You'll find after playing a good bit -22 (or stock as we call it) is easy..the hard part is seeing if you can hole it enough to win.

Good luck!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2012 18:47:41

www.thegamesvillage.com ...

[Avatar]

P1SH_o_POTAMUS,

There's absolutely no inherent advantage- other than normal practice- to playing favorite to Augusta. Everyone knows the course by now... and certainly should- for over a year now.

In fact, I'm really not one of the more dedicated users... but, I certainly don't have to be a mapper to know a worthy challenge when I see it... and to see the value in testing myself regularly on such tracks, as opposed to red tee courses, that are for a different kind of player entirely.

I was just speaking generally. Of course, I will play other courses and conditions... certainly in a friendly match. But, my preference for rated matches, is Augusta or Fantasy... due to the increased course management required on those type of courses. If they added Tiger Tees to half of the other courses, I would play them. But, some of these courses are a snooze fest for 18 holes... meaning, it shouldn't take that long to decide a winner. Harder/Longer courses generally allow the cream rise to the top more efficiently.

I also explained why I prefer the Amateur swing. I prefer non-random landing results. I've also practiced enough to find a few loopholes in Tour Pro... like intentionally using clubs incorrectly, and intentionally working the ball incorrectly. All things being equal, I'd rather just give the opponent the same preshot options that the Am level has, and getting used to the same tempo; instead of jumping around and seeing who can game the game better.

I'm willing to admit that I wouldn't be the best on Tour Pro, or Arcade/Boost/Spin modes. I just prefer a custom middle ground that preserves consistency, and reduces the miraculous.. and it just feels more realistic to me.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/02/2012 19:05:43

No apologies necessary, KickingGuru. Considering you never once PM'd me here or on XBL accusing me of cheating, I would have been none the wiser that you felt that way. To openly acknowledge that you did believe that, but have since changed your mind shows exactly how much class you really have. It takes a big man to do such a thing, and I admire and respect you for that more than you know.

I'm not going to be falsely modest here. I am a pretty good player in this game. Am I the best? No, I do not believe I am. I'm not even sure I am in the top 10 AM players in the clubhouse I am in. Most messages I receive on XBL come from two types of people. The first group are usually new to the game and simply cannot fathom how somebody can shoot a -30 in one round of golf. Some might jump right to the conclusion that I am cheating. Others are merely curious. I have absolutely no problem with the people in that group, even the ones accusing me of cheating. When I first started playing TW12, I didn't understand how it was possible guys like k2damoon and Stiffynumnums were shooting those scores. I, too, entertained the thought that they must be cheating. Like KickingGuru, I figured out the game and realized they weren't cheating and that those scores were manageable.

The second group of people, the ones I do have a problem with, are not new to the game. They are most likely long time TW's players who can't seem to handle some new "kid" excelling in their game. TW12 was my first game, so when I got good at that game, I was told over and over it was 100% because of the caddie and that I would have just been slaughtered in TW10. That was, of course, in addition to the people accusing me of hacking, glitching, keyboarding, and all other forms of cheating. I hoped TW13 would be different. It isn't. Instead of people telling me I'm only as good as my caddie, I am now only as good as my boost pins.

The thing now is evidently to fire off messages accusing people of restarting over and over. The vast majority of my wins come from single tries, but it should not make a difference if I restarted 10,000 times. I am an advocate of single try tourneys. I am NOT an advocate for poor sportsmanship, which encompasses messaging other people and complaining that they are restarting. If you are against unlimited submission tourneys, play them and accept the fact that your score might not win, or just stop playing them. Don't lash out at players for restarting an event that allows restarts. Moreover, stop acting like the rest of the world should automatically assume your score was achieved with one try, while the score that beat yours MUST have been achieved with multiple tries. It is an unlimited try tourney. You have to assume everyone is restarting, regardless of what they claim on a message board. It takes quite an ego for someone to expect the world to believe their scores are single try, while every other score isn't. That is both incongruous and illogical.

Some people must view integrity and honor much differently than I do. This is a video game. As long as you haven't figured out a way to play unlimited tries in a single try tourney (I've been accused of that, too), or any other way to actually cheat, I don't care what you do. I don't believe someone can claim the moral high ground based on the number of times they played an unlimited try tournament in a video game, while simultaneously sending messages to winners calling them cheaters or accusing them of restarting. To me, that is the antithesis of integrity. I have had too many messages telling me to "f*** off and die," telling me they "hope my kids are raped and murdered," what a "worthless piece of s***" I am, and so forth. All because in a video game I might have holed out a couple of more holes than they did.

Once it got to this level in TW12, I created new gamertags. I was both SimpleLyric3 and SomeRiseBySin. After I had decent success with those tags, I got the same messages from the same people. I am not creating new tags for this game. I am also finished with the live tournaments. I do not value my life based on my performance in a video game, so I can happily go without playing them. I am only replying here because my name was brought up by the OP. I will stipulate that it takes a special kind of pompous, narcissistic * to write a novel this long about how everyone picks on him. I have no problem admitting that. I've just had enough with certain people in this game, and am replying as it is somewhat on topic.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2012 21:10:15

The best thing anyone can do to improve in this game is to try and play with people that are better than them. Back in 07, 08 had already come out so the top players were gone, I stubled upon a player that was absolutely amazing in my eyes. We played a ton until I was finally able to beat him. I think I only beat him that one time, he adviced me to play one course and to know it well and to play it over and over. I followed his advice and played pebble front nine over and over and over. I'm sure Bsags remembers that he was around back then. Anyway I got really good at the course and given that the good players were playing 08 I won like 40 games in a row or something like that. I really thought I was the man back then, so I got TW09 and bam reality set in.

I got my butt kicked and I didn't understand how people were hitting so straight and far. I always tried playing with the players i saw at the top of the daily tournaments and tried to learn from them as much as possible. I finnally started to get in the top 25 of some dailies and even won a couple. Then late in 09 I came in these forums and found out about the hori controllers. I was pissed off and complained but then I just decided to quit whinning and got one. Playing against good golfers I became friends with a top 10 player, he invited me to join a league and so I did and that's where I really started to improve. Joining a TW league really helps because players share info they otherwise wouldn't and the competition is top notch. Unfortunately my league is dying a slow death but there are other great ones like FTWG and TGV, so join one if you haven't already.

The reason I quoted holey earlier is because he's spot on, the game is just a learning process and your perspective changes as you improve. Now as I look back to 07 even though I wouldn't one course wonder anymore, I'm glad I did it back then because it gave me a winning confidence. So in summary just try to challenge yourself by always playing with good players and you'll improve drastically and maybe even win a few tourneys or h2h battles against good players.

wow kenny that's crazy. I think most of that goes on in the xbox side though. I won a couple tourneys a few days ago and got friend requests from random people and they complimented me and everything. It seems like ps3 people are much nicer from what I see here. I'm sure sloaner gets hate messages though, I'll make sure to send him one tonight lol. It's all about how you look at things. You can look at it the same way great athletes do when they get booed at away games, they know they get booed because they know they're good and I think they even like it. I remember going to a playoff game to watch the Padres against the Cardinalds at PETCO park, and remember seeing Albert Pujols come up to the plate. Everyone started booing him but I remember when I was booing I was scared * lol, as I'm sure everyone was. Well that beast hits a huge home run and leaves us all speechless . I'm sure he enjoyed shutting us up just as much as getting cheered for at his home stadium.

[Avatar]

I started playing this game in 2004. Offline. I continued until around 2007, then just got away from me. I had heard so much about ps3 and xbox being the future of online gaming, but couldn't justify the money and offline was getting really boring. Febuary of 2011 I got my first ps3. Of course the first game I bought was TW2010 (being outta touch I thought that was the newest one lol). It was such a good game that it resparked my interest.

Aeter playing 10 for a month or so TW12 is released and I finally get my shot online. And guess what? I sucked lol. If I holed one out it was like winning the lottery and these guys were killing it. I took SloanerTW up on an offer to play a "Show you the ropes" kinda round and it helped me alot. But what helped me the most was just constantly playing the top players at this game. How they approach a tee shot for position. Where they play the ball on the green and so on. As I came into my own, I met up with some guys, who I consider friends now tho we have never met in person. They showed me the parts of my game I was missing and gave me clues to developing my own game. Since then I have met several other top players who I consider friends and it just makes the online experience so much more enjoyable.

I worked at my game, and got a little help along the way. And this transends mode. The best advice I can give is to stop noob hunting to build your egos and get in the ring with top notch players. It will be the best thing you ever did in this game.

Mega_8 PSN
Caddykillaz!! CC (No more dramas, come get it)
Am/Tourn/Sim Player
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Series  > Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® General Discussion
Go to: