[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Elevation changes  XML
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Online  > Tips, Hints, & Strategies

Ok, I am a newbie, but I had been playing TW in the past on my PC. It seemed a lot easier to deal with elevation changes. August is especially difficult. With downhill shots, you take less club, correct? I am constantly missing greens at Augusta. i know some of it a guess, but is there some sort of rule of thumb I can use to guess distances based on elevation?

I add one yard for each yard of elevation and subtract one yard for each yard down. Up 21 feet - add 7 yards. Of course a lot depends on course conditions and the club you are hitting. Give it a try and make your own adjustments.

My formula is a bit different from egi's but I find it works well for me. Divide the elevation given by the game (measured in feet) by 4 and compensate for the elevation by adding or removing the result measured in yards.

Elevation of 22 ft lower: 5 yards less club. A target 43 ft higher: +11 yds

[Avatar]

Another problem is hardness of the green.. after you adjust for elevation you have to adjust for the green hardness and the wind as well. I too like to divide by 4. The true number is probably 4.1 or something but then you need a calculator to play this game. Soft greens require about 2% more distance and hard ones about 2% less. Two yards per hundred up or down. There are members that can hit every shot within 2-3 yards of the cup in all conditions and they have a more exact system.

Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit, 2 Cards SLI NVidia GeForce GTS450, Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67GHz, 6.0 GB Ram

Since i'm blind, I play by feel.

P.S.- And i'm also a perpetual liar!

[Avatar]

Never seen anyone play like Keef... no previews and every shot within 3 feet of the cup.... I have seen you write about his system and it is spot on...

Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit, 2 Cards SLI NVidia GeForce GTS450, Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67GHz, 6.0 GB Ram

Thanks guys that helps a lot!

I use a % based system that is very easy .
for an uphill elevation i add 1% to the club for every 4 ft up.
for downhill elevation i drop 1% from the club for every 6ft down.

i take 4 other factors into consideration - fairway slope / wind/ surface conditions/ and slope of green.

i believe the slope of green to be very important as I have noticed that most clubs will land 90% of their stated distance and then roll. so a lot of times even if a pin is downhill from the fairway, the landing area on the green may be so far downhill from the pin that you actually need more juice, not less. I don't have a formula for green slope, I do that by feel.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/05/2012 11:50:06

I would just like to say thanks to all the players on this site, I wish everyone the very best, and I hope to see you all on greener fairways. A very special thanks & apology to anyone that I may have offended in my time here, I'm gone may 20, so long

[Avatar]

In the end, nothing compares to playing thousands of rounds of golf.

I use my own formulas as do all of us who have played virtual golf a long, long time. But a feel for the game comes from hours and hours of playing and experimenting.

One major factor as well. Getting to know your PC's behavior. Understanding your PC's benchmarks allows you to never be in the dark about "what just happened?". If something is off, you can go through your system check-off list and find the problem and make changes. (all of this is dependent on how competitive or passionate you are about any given PC game)

I've probably played over 20,000 rounds of golf since PC golf games became interactive on the Internet. Three-clicking 12 years now. That's a lot of clicks!

leeraypc wrote:In the end, nothing compares to playing thousands of rounds of golf.

I use my own formulas as do all of us who have played virtual golf a long, long time. But a feel for the game comes from hours and hours of playing and experimenting.

One major factor as well. Getting to know your PC's behavior. Understanding your PC's benchmarks allows you to never be in the dark about "what just happened?". If something is off, you can go through your system check-off list and find the problem and make changes. (all of this is dependent on how competitive or passionate you are about any given PC game)

I've probably played over 20,000 rounds of golf since PC golf games became interactive on the Internet. Three-clicking 12 years now. That's a lot of clicks!

i have too agree with what you say, i have been true swinging over ten years now.
once you play a course enough times you know what to expect.
which is why i like adding wind, challenging surfaces, etc.
it keeps it interesting.

the bottom line on formulas is to find the ones that work for you.
I personally prefer the % based ones, but that is just what works for me.
but developing a feel for the game is worth its weight in gold.

i use the math to get me an idea / I use the "feel for the game" to get me close.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/05/2012 13:06:43

It's been real.
[WWW] [Yahoo!]
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Online  > Tips, Hints, & Strategies
Go to: