[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Origin patcher 'disconnects' and stops working  XML
Origin  > Bugs and Issues

I've got BF3 on DVD and that installs Origin okay. Origin did an auto-update (can't tell what version it updated to but it says 'origin beta'). I have an account (obviously) and BF3 is installed and I can see BF3 in the origin application.

When I try to play BF3 Origin attempts to patch BF3. The "Downloading update ..." screen appears and I can see it tries to download 5,118.85 MB. The patcher starts to download the file but stops after about 30 seconds. The screen is still there and it says it's downloading but the file size stops increasing. I've left this running overnight and it simply stops downloading.

If I close origin all the way down (kill service) and restart Origin, it will again download the file for 30 seconds and stop. I could download the entire 5 gig file 30 seconds at a time but that requires patience beyond belief!

I have Windows 7. No AVP. I tried it with/without Windows firewall. I've tried this at a mates house with different ISP. I've opened a whole range of ports explicitly. I've given security exceptions to a range of Origin exe files. I've uninstalled and re-installed Origin. I've googled till my fingers bleed.

Why does the patcher stop downloading after 30 seconds and then resumes when I close Origin and restart it again? No error message. No indication something is wrong. Just the file size stops going up.

Thanks

EA Representative
[Avatar]

Hi ShadowSausage,

Please update Origin to 9.0.1.2036 - 183001. Origin can auto updates to the latest pre-release version of Origin.Here is the Steps link: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8275831.page

If you met peoblem when download BF3, please try below steps:
1.Run Origin in the windows 7 compatibility mode(As XP SP3 or Vista SP2)
2.please check you PC date and time. Restart PC and try again
3.Make sure download and install folder use the default
4.Disable your antivirus, then reboot your computer

EA_OriginSupport
Please visit help.origin.com for solutions to common Origin issues.
[WWW]

Thank you for that but I found a solution.

I have NetNanny software - a website blocking program to protect kids from bad sites. This was detecting the connection to Origin and throttling the d/l to zero. This is not expected behavior from NetNanny (especially as I'm an Admin) and I'll report the issue to them.

I uninstalled NN and now the d/l is super fast and uninterrupted.

I will try your suggestion above with NN just as a trial. I'm now unclear if I'll be able to run BF3 and NN together. Time will tell.

Thanks for the reply.

[quote=EA_OriginSupport]Hi ShadowSausage,

Please update Origin to 9.0.1.2036 - 183001. Origin can auto updates to the latest pre-release version of Origin.Here is the Steps link: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8275831.page

If you met peoblem when download BF3, please try below steps:
1.Run Origin in the windows 7 compatibility mode(As XP SP3 or Vista SP2)
2.please check you PC date and time. Restart PC and try again
3.Make sure download and install folder use the default
4.Disable your antivirus, then reboot your computer[/quote]

I did that, but the problem lies on the end of the server, which transfers too slow and drops the connection always. If a ping server exists on that machine I can verify that I have 100% packet loss (12 tries), which would explain the problem. Anyway there is a problem on your side.

EA Representative
[Avatar]

Hi alyssia92 ,

Thanks for your post.

Have you added Origin into anti-virus software and windows firewall's white list?

Regards,

EA_OriginSupport
Please visit help.origin.com for solutions to common Origin issues.
[WWW]
Origin  > Bugs and Issues
Go to: