[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
EA survey $20 discount  XML
Origin  > General Discussion

[quote=EA_QforQ]Hi everyone,

The coupon code is now expired; we’ll honor all sales made with the coupon code over the weekend and hope fans enjoy their games.

Thanks,
Sam "QforQ" Houston[/quote]
Dos this mean your honoring the coupon even in cases of people using it multiple times ect?(Or using it 1 time for more then 20$ off ect mult games...) And people used the coupon without doing the survey? http://i.imgur.com/dopyC.jpg ??

What a load of crap. I find out Sunday around 2 pm (I never received an email from Origin about this deal, even though I'm signed up for them) about this discount, I think sweet, I can finally pick up Battlefield 2142 and Medal of Honor and get a nice discount. What happens? Oh, EA screwed up, and because some people blatantly abused the survey/discount, I can't get anything. Not punishing the people like the guy from the picture posted before is ridiculous, especially when honest people like myself get shafted. This is why I keep the bulk of my business (and will continue to do so, even more so now) on Steam. I have never once seen them treat their customers so poorly.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/15/2012 01:45:55

Allow me to put this into perspective for those who don't seem to get it.

A service was rendered, here. The agreement was that we take a survey and the payment would be $20 off of one game purchase of $19.99 or more, with some restrictions. That was a fair deal, as many people agree.

The code offered was a universal code, one that could be obtained without completing the survey, and used multiple times. This is the fault of EA who obviously does not understand the internet at all.

Upon realizing their mistake, EA immediately broke the code so no one else could abuse it, but they left the survey up. While the survey was still offering the $20 coupon as payment, EA was not. As such, they are now getting free information by offering a bogus payment. This is known as scamming people.

When confronted on this issue, EA has chosen to respond by honoring the purchases of those who abused the system and not the coupons obtained by those wanting to use it properly after the fact. They have rewarded the abusers and punished their customers.

Believe me, for some of these people, it is no idle threat to take this to court. The e-mail clearly states that there is a payment offered for completing the survey, a payment that has yet to be given to those of us completing it on the second day and after. $20 is not the only thing at stake here. That is merely payment for services rendered. There is also the ability to have them pay the court costs and to force them to offer compensation to those who did work for them and have yet to receive their payment.

If a payment is not given in some fashion to the amount of $20 to spend on an item of our choice, then this survey is a scam, something not tolerated by the BBB or the internet at large. EA is in for a world of hurt if it doesn't get its act together. While I, personally, will not be doing anything, I know how the internet works.

EA will feel the burn on this one.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/15/2012 02:04:57

I agree with a complain to BBM. That was also my initial thought upon reading how EA screwed up.
And it's not just $20. They apparently got robbed of > 1000 games. So that is at least $20k.

A survey to EA:
- Where did you get your Web people?
- Did they completed a college degree?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/15/2012 04:00:29

I filled out the survey Saturday afternoon before it was cancelled. I tried to apply the code to numerous games and it never once applied the discount for me. Mass effect 2, sims 3, etc.. nothing worked. bad luck for me i guess.

Anyway the entertainment from this thread may just be worth $20...keep it coming!!!

In the same boat. If EA does not fix this for the people that wanted to use the coupon to buy a game, before oct 21st as posted, Im going to Best Buy and canceling my pre-order of both NFS and MoH. Might as well just steal them because it sure looks like that what they support. Not paying customers.

... and Best Buy claims they will start to match online prices!

I think EA should take a new attitude and distribute codes for those who can not get to try to get this offer today or tomorrow. Otherwise many people will cancel pre-sale or stopped buying EA games and who will lose out will be the EA.

PS: Sorry for my bad English.

[quote=crazyguzz]I feel really bad for those that received the survey, filled it out, and got the code only to find out that it had expired,[/quote]

I was in that situation last night... Got the email, filled out the survey, waited until i got paid, invalid code.... Pretty pissed if you want my opinion.

EA_QforQ wrote:Hi everyone,

The coupon code is now expired; we’ll honor all sales made with the coupon code over the weekend and hope fans enjoy their games.

Thanks,
Sam "QforQ" Houston

I tried to get the coupon code to work over the weekend and it was termed invalid. I'm guessing you never intended to allow to people to get free games as you state that you will only honor "SALES". So much for integrity.

Hi EA! I checked my mailbox the other day to discover I could get a $20 coupon for a purchase in the Origin store and that was absolutely awesome! So I waited a bit until my check was auto-deposited into my bank account so I could purchase Mass Effect 3's Digital Deluxe Edition for $20 off the list price. My check clears this morning and I go to use my coupon, and voila! The coupon code came up invalid. I checked online to see what the deal was, and it turns out that you cancelled it because you accidentally, or perhaps intentionally set the parameters of the coupon wrong and a bunch of people rightfully used the coupon within the means allowed to them by your servers. I was not one of those people.

But guess what? I'm out of luck nevertheless because of a mistake your company made! Why do you think companies like Valve do so well with their digital distribution service like Steam? Why do you think Humble Bundles do so well? I can tell you why! They don't screw with their customers when they make a mistake! Am I at fault for your mistake? If not, why are you punishing me for it? You offer a coupon.

"THIS OFFER IS BEING ISSUED TO YOU FOR PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CREDIT, CHARGE, DEBIT OR GIFT CARD. OFFER EXPIRES OCTOBER 21, 2012. DISCOUNT CODE EXPIRES OCTOBER 21, 2012. GOOD ONLY FOR NEW PURCHASES OF $19.99 OR MORE FROM THE ORIGIN STORE AT WWW.ORIGIN.COM AND THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT). EXCLUDES STAR WARS® THE OLD REPUBLIC™, PRE-ORDERS, GAMES RELEASED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF PURCHASE, VALVE GAMES, SELECT PARTNER TITLES DISTRIBUTED BY ORIGIN, VIRTUAL CURRENCY AND GAME TIME CODES. VALID IN U.S. AND CANADA. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. PRODUCTS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. RETAILERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND EMPLOYEES OF ELECTRONIC ARTS INC. AND THEIR AGENCIES/AFFILIATES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW."

I see nothing in that stating you have any right to cancel the coupon for those who haven't used it yet. I see that the coupon expires on October 21st, 2012. The only thing you've done here is ensure that I never purchase another game from you, and that's a shame because I genuinely wanted to play the conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy, but not at the expense of my dignity as a gamer, human being, and a consumer. Thank you very much for sticking your mistake in my face, and thank you for tipping me off to the fact that your company has no respect for it's customers. I will never do business with you again.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 10/15/2012 08:45:25

People need to learn that EA doesn't care about peoples complaints. They don't care because they know full well people will keep buying their yearly Madden rehashes. And to those people under the delusion that EA cares about their fans, may I suggest looking at the little stunt they pulled with FIFA 13 on the Wii. Or maybe you can look at how their ripping people off with their add ons for their latest NHL game. Hey, you can even look at the little FIFA thing on 360 which EA allows hackers to get Live account info to steal accounts. They of course deny any responsibility for this. Im thinking its about time EA starts getting some serious Better Business Bureau complaints.

I'm sorry but how pathetic can some people get?

I think it's absolutely disgusting that people are blaming EA over that. It's the vultures who went on a massive spree of taking every little thing they could. Were EA going to leave it up so that eventually everybody in the world could have just got every single bit of that content for free? God no and why should they?

How self entitled can people be?

Boltfox : You are wrong. If you took this to court you would be laughed right out of the room. I'm fairly certain the terms of service of this voucher, like every single voucher ever made in the world, is always usable at the sole discretion of the retailer. It's power in the hands of the company.
I think the main people on the internet can be quite reasonable as well. Read on sites like RPS and you'll see the general concensus is that EA are being very magnanimous is their allowing people to have kept their games, they would be well within their rights to take the games back off of people and mark it down as a complete write off saying "due to a system error the code was invalid and any purchases made with this code have been refunded/returned" which granted didn't cost any of the users anything.
This sort of thing has happened since online stores started.

ArcanaLux : you just shot yourself in the foot actually. Sure, it doesn't say they have the right to cancel the code but it would give them the right to take all the games back off of everybody.
"GOOD ONLY FOR NEW PURCHASES OF $19.99 OR MORE FROM THE ORIGIN STORE AT WWW.ORIGIN.COM AND THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT)"
and
"MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON."
and
"LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON."

All of those combined means that people were using them against the original rules, even if the system allowed it. Meaning EA were well within their rights to remove the coupon for mistreatment and, if they so wanted, remove every single game bought with the coupon.

Still, it just sums it people. Most of you people are pathetic cretins with a heightened sense of self-entitlement. You think everybody owes you and that even if it is somebody else who is getting shafted, you should get what you want. Bloody yanks.

[quote=Halbarad]I'm sorry but how pathetic can some people get?

I think it's absolutely disgusting that people are blaming EA over that. It's the vultures who went on a massive spree of taking every little thing they could. Were EA going to leave it up so that eventually everybody in the world could have just got every single bit of that content for free? God no and why should they?

How self entitled can people be?

Boltfox : You are wrong. If you took this to court you would be laughed right out of the room. I'm fairly certain the terms of service of this voucher, like every single voucher ever made in the world, is always usable at the sole discretion of the retailer. It's power in the hands of the company.
I think the main people on the internet can be quite reasonable as well. Read on sites like RPS and you'll see the general concensus is that EA are being very magnanimous is their allowing people to have kept their games, they would be well within their rights to take the games back off of people and mark it down as a complete write off saying "due to a system error the code was invalid and any purchases made with this code have been refunded/returned" which granted didn't cost any of the users anything.
This sort of thing has happened since online stores started.

ArcanaLux : you just shot yourself in the foot actually. Sure, it doesn't say they have the right to cancel the code but it would give them the right to take all the games back off of everybody.
"GOOD ONLY FOR NEW PURCHASES OF $19.99 OR MORE FROM THE ORIGIN STORE AT WWW.ORIGIN.COM AND THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT)"
and
"MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON."
and
"LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON."

All of those combined means that people were using them against the original rules, even if the system allowed it. Meaning EA were well within their rights to remove the coupon for mistreatment and, if they so wanted, remove every single game bought with the coupon.

Still, it just sums it people. Most of you people are pathetic cretins with a heightened sense of self-entitlement. You think everybody owes you and that even if it is somebody else who is getting shafted, you should get what you want. Bloody yanks.[/quote]

Did you even read this thread? We filled out the survey and didn't get what we were offered for doing so. Is it a big deal? No, but I'm pissed off that people who abused this to get 4,5, 10, or more games are getting the 'Hey, it's okay, you can keep those games.' from EA while us honest folk WHO ACTUALLY DID THE SURVEY and want to apply the code we were given to an actual purchase are getting "Well, because of those people who abused the system - who we're allowing to keep those games, btw - you get nothing. But thanks for filling out our survey and providing us with valuable data. And thanks for wasting your time."

If you don't understand that we have a reason to be upset and we're not being 'self-entitled pathetic cretins' then either there's no hope for you or you're just being a blind EA fanboi.

Wouldn't it have been smarter of EA to issue each survey taker a unique code, possibly linked to an email address, user name or IP address to try to limit abuse by people taking the survey multiple times? A lot angst and anger could have been avoided but such as system. What were they thinking by have a faux code that everyone could use? Those of us that took the survey in good faith have essentially donated their time in lieu of receiving a modest compensation. I disagree with Halbarad's interpretation based on other vouchers. Here, an implied contract was made and compensation for work was promised. It's not analogous to a coupon you get at the grocery store.
Origin  > General Discussion
Go to: