[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
What goes into a Roster Update  XML
NHL Series  > NHL® Series General Discussion

Community Manager

With the NHL back the EASPORTS NHL development team are working on the next Roster Update to bring the game in line with the deals and updates that have started going on in the NHL. To help illuminate what goes into a Roster Update we took some community questions and posed them to Assistant Producer Gurndeep Sumal who is currently neck deep in the update process.

Q: What steps go into making the average roster update?

Gurn: Creating a roster update is a very meticulous process, it requires a lot of attention of detail. We usually go through the following process when doing a league roster:

a. Gather all the team lists for the particular league and put them in a spreadsheet
b. Cross reference the team list from the spreadsheet to the one currently in our database
i. Mark down any new players that need to be created
1. Make sure that we have the rights to the players that need to be created.
ii. Mark down any players no longer on the team
1. Mark down any player that has been transferred to another team in our game
2. Mark down any players that need to be removed from our game completely
c. Send the list of new players for rating from our scout.
d. Begin process of cleaning up the rosters
i. Remove the players from teams
ii. Transfer players to new teams
e. Create new players
i. Enter in all fields necessary for bio information (height, weight, DOB etc.)
ii. Enter Salaries, NHL rights Team, NHL Team Drafted by.
f. Import Ratings for created players
g. Move the created players to the new teams
h. Do a jersey number pass for every team
i. Do a captains pass for every team
j. Make Sure all the lines are correct (5 on 5, PP, PK , 4 on 4 and shootout Extra Attackers)
k. Then we begin Testing the roster update and make corrections to any mistakes found by our QA

These are for our bigger updates once we have created a league we then usually just follow transactions and create any of the stray new players that come and play for teams.

We need to track every movement we do just in case something goes wrong or we need to double check a transaction, that’s why we do a lot of prep work via spreadsheets.

Q: How come players get taken out of the game? For example Yakupov who was in NHL 13 at launch but was taken out in the last roster update.

Gurn:
When a player moves from one league to another we no longer have the rights to that player in his new league (even if the league is in the game). Every league has different guidelines for player rights.

NHL- The player must appear in a game and play a shift.
AHL – A player must sign PHPA (Pro Hockey Players Association) waiver agreement
CHL – They must be on the team’s roster list
European Leagues - They must be on the team’s roster list

In the case of Nail Yakupov we lost his rights once he decided to play overseas in a league to which we no longer have rights too.

Q: Why are players like Tim Thomas and Chris Pronger in the game when they’re not playing at the moment?

Gurn:
These players are still considered to be under contract, both have yet to retire and in Pronger’s case he is still on IR. They are currently in the starting lineups for both teams because our First Roster update and our Last Roster update usually consist of best lines. Once the season gets going we will scratch the players mentioned to keep the lines and rosters to be as accurate as possible with the real world. That being said they will still be on their respective teams.

Q: Why are the rosters sometimes different for offline and GM Connected modes?

Gurn:
Rosters for GM connected are separate entity than what is in an online game and even offline Be A GM. We have to generate templates for each random Rosters and one default Roster.

The reason behind the lack of roster updates for GM connected is because of all the players in limbo from transferring leagues (see question 2), we decided it was best not to post rosters until we get enough players back into the game so that teams have some of their top end prospects to grow and or potentially trade.

Q: How do you figure out what players should be rated at the start of the year, and when their ratings should be adjusted during a season?

Gurn:
We have a scout(s) that rate our players in our games, these are professional scouts for different leagues around the world. They will go and rate players based on their skill via watching film and or watching certain players live, much like a scout will do when scouting a player for a team. The scout(s) will then send us update sheets for players that he finds to have made a jump in skill from the beginning of the year to the mid/late year. The reason for this is it’s big sample size for the scout to determine if a player has really grown or evolved from the beginning of the year. A player can get hot for 10 games and tail off after those 10 games, our scouts look for consistency through the grind of the season before providing us with ratings for updates.
[WWW]

Thank you for answering everyone's questions.
It all makes logical sense to me.

We should expect an update to GM connected rosters then by the end of the month?

TY for the great post!

Hostile x 17

Long time fan, first ever pre order cancel. Money going towards Destiny.

[Avatar]

Getting rights for players in the KHL:

what are the possibilities of accomplishing this again?

MY ULTIMATE NHL SERIES ANALYSIS

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9876271.page

Support it with a view or two
[WWW]

Your scouts must be insane looking at some of the players' skating ratings... I mean... players that are clearly some of the fastest on the ice are rated in the low 80's.

This community is what is wrong with the game. Truth.

[Avatar]

Santini3 wrote:Your scouts must be insane looking at some of the players' skating ratings... I mean... players that are clearly some of the fastest on the ice are rated in the low 80's.

can u be more specific ?

“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”

"You must unlearn what you have learned"

[Avatar]

So... what went into Roster Update #7? It seems the NHL players that were duplicated for the teams in Europe are still there...it would be nice if the devs can relay what was updated to EA Noun or something.

http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Savoie12/oo,fmt.CD/1

[quote=Santini3]Your scouts must be insane looking at some of the players' skating ratings... I mean... players that are clearly some of the fastest on the ice are rated in the low 80's.[/quote]

Are you talking overalls? Or the speed attribute?
I have a few 80 overall skaters in my hut collection that have 86/87 speed.

[Avatar]

Here's an idea, next time you do a roster update, can you make Yutaka Fukufuji the correct weight. You guys have him listed at his rookie season weight. Granted he is playing in the Asian hockey league, but he is 186lbs, not 168lbs.

Also, what can be done about Fukufuji being listed as a "profane name" for EASHL use? He is a character in the game & his name is in the play-by-play commentary names, yet when I try to create him for EASHL, his name won't show up; it gets replaced with a generated name in games.

Why would the names of players in the NHL 13 game be on the profane name list?

"I don't intend to offend, I just offend with my intent. Beauty's in the beholder's eye, I just like the ugly side." — John Bush, Anthrax, "Burst" (from the album "Sound of White Noise")

[quote=Surface-Warrior]Here's an idea, next time you do a roster update, can you make Yutaka Fukufuji the correct weight. You guys have him listed at his rookie season weight. Granted he is playing in the Asian hockey league, but he is 186lbs, not 168lbs.

Also, what can be done about Fukufuji being listed as a "profane name" for EASHL use? He is a character in the game & his name is in the play-by-play commentary names, yet when I try to create him for EASHL, his name won't show up; it gets replaced with a generated name in games.

Why would the names of players in the NHL 13 game be on the profane name list?
[/quote]

You must be new to gaming. There are names in the game that sound like profane words when spoken out by the commentary. You don't have to be a genius to figure out people would take advantage of them for immature reasons. Off line is fine, but online needs some restrictions to prevent the immature from forcing others to be exposed to their stupidity.

[Avatar]

So I was wondering.... Is asking why player info is locked forbidden? Because I keep doing it, yet keep getting ignored. See I would love to start my gm mode now, but can't because I can't edit Scott Gomez' or Wade Redden's salary info.
And I like using my rosters because EA's rosters are horrible, and always have been. I mean you post a thread about what goes into a roster update and you get a few fanboys patting you on the back but people that actually have gone through the rosters, and I mean gone through them, we know what doesn't go into a roster update. How about accuracy?
That would be a big fat glaring ugly obnoxious NO.
And my biggest beef isn't players missing, I completely understand licensing issues. ITS ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Its not leaving players in free agents that retired 2 seasons ago. Its not leaving Marc Savard on Boston. Its not having a black player actually white in game. Its not making players look even remotely like their picture, when you clearly have a picture of the guy, and he is blonde, and you use default face 1,because you are lazy.
There that was a bit of a rant wasn't it.
Anyway, you what I would like to go into a roster update?
Just unlock player info. I like doing rosters myself.
You know what would be really great?
Let us edit their appearance. So we could not only add playoff beards, but actually make Nazem Kadri look like Nazem Kadri!!! and poor Gemel Smith..... let us help him.........

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/18/2013 06:18:45

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-nhl-rosters/

[Avatar]

Well, Dougie, perhaps if you had been a bit more polite or even professional in your responses, you'd get the answer you are looking for.

While you make some good points, which are also things I agree with, being rude and disrespectful won't sway the minds of the mods.

Don't misconstrue this as an attack or a defence of the EA team, but take it for what it is - a recommendation about how to get the response you want.

[Avatar]

Well, is there a polite way to say "hey these rosters are bad"? its kinda like "does this dress make me look fat?" I tried not being disrespectful, but also tried not to sugar coat things. These rosters have been bad for years,and years.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-nhl-rosters/

Gurn: When a player moves from one league to another we no longer have the rights to that player in his new league (even if the league is in the game). Every league has different guidelines for player rights.

What if a player is playing in the AHL right now but played 1 game in the NHL last year?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/18/2013 07:53:33

Community Manager

[quote=KANNYS]Gurn: When a player moves from one league to another we no longer have the rights to that player in his new league (even if the league is in the game). Every league has different guidelines for player rights.

What if a player is playing in the AHL right now but played 1 game in the NHL last year?[/quote]

When they move back to the AHL we need them to sign the PHPA unless they're still a member of the NHLPA. It's complicated and differs from every situation.
[WWW]
NHL Series  > NHL® Series General Discussion
Go to: