[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
SimCity Download - Eastern Timezone  XML
Origin  > General Discussion

Hi,

I pre-ordered SimCity. When will I be able to download it?

(I'm in the EST timezone. )

I'm worried that I won't be able to play it right away when it's released because it will take a long time to download.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 03/03/2013 06:41:49

Community Manager
[Avatar]

You will in fact only be able to download it at the time of release, yes; that would be 0:01 EST on March 5th.

I no longer work for EA. If you need help, please use the "Bugs/Issues" section, or head to help.ea.com

Follow / Talk to me on Twitter - @Com_Raven

Any reason as to why there's no pre-loading? The servers are bound to be rather wonky upon release.

Community Manager
[Avatar]

As we usually offer pre-loading for our games on Origin, it likely has to do with the SimCity team working to polish the game until the very last second.

I no longer work for EA. If you need help, please use the "Bugs/Issues" section, or head to help.ea.com

Follow / Talk to me on Twitter - @Com_Raven

Maybe we could download the version that's being distributed as the physical copy.

When I contacted Support, they told me that pre-loading would be available.

Seeing that the US would get it in a couple hours, have anyone been offered to pre-load it there then? Currently, it seems like the only valid option is to buy a retail copy, which is even cheaper than the one offered on the Origin store.

[quote=MoCha]Seeing that the US would get it in a couple hours, have anyone been offered to pre-load it there then? Currently, it seems like the only valid option is to buy a retail copy, which is even cheaper than the one offered on the Origin store.[/quote]

Order through Steam. It seems they are the only ones capable of doing the pre-loading of games and unlocking them at 12:01am. I made the same mistake by ordering Tomb Raider from Origin, because I liked the bonuses and it was a few dollars cheaper then Steam. Now I see why, as I will be forced to wait till 12:01, or later (whenever they activate the game I already paid for) to even start downloading it. Assuming it will be about 15-20GB, I'll be able to play sometime Tuesday afternoon, after I already picked up my physical X-Box CE version and Sim City box from Gamestop at 10am.

Steam would have been so much easier, since it is still being activated through them, even though we bought it elsewhere. Figure that one out.

So how long will it take to download the thing, if we can only start download at midnight? Does the whole game need to be downloaded upfront? Is it like a 20GB file? Won't the Origin servers get hit by millions of people at the exact same time, causing download speeds to come to a crawl?

This sucks, I was hoping to be able to play when it's released. Wouldn't it have made more sense to allow pre-downloading? If I knew this I might have considered buying a DVD instead of downloading from EA ...

Agreed. Makes absolutely no sense to me that we can't download it when there are obviously hard copies on DVDs out in distribution already.

If EA every wants Origin to ever truly compete with Steam, they better put some actual effort into the service.

sim city isnt available for steam.

So, Sim City should be available for download in the next 30 minites if I'm correct? If not, I am going to be very unhappy.

5 after midnight here, im refreshing my origin library, no download option yet for my prepurchase.
prolly will give up soon and just jump in it tomorrow ... or later today.

why is sim city not available yet on origin?

[quote=washout931]sim city isnt available for steam.[/quote]

I realize that, otherwise I wouldn't even be on Origin in the first place. My complaint is that waiting till midnight to allow people to start a download makes absolutely no sense.

Let us get it downloaded, then just kick on the DRM at midnight.

no download yet
Origin  > General Discussion
Go to: