[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Message from Senior Producer Kip Katsarelis  XML
SimCity  > Official Announcements

[Avatar]

Message from Senior Producer Kip Katsarelis

This has been an exciting and challenging week for the team here at Maxis, the culmination years of planning and development. We have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and enthusiasm from our fans which has made it even more upsetting for us that technical issues have become more prominent in the last 24 hours. We are hitting a number of problems with our server architecture which has seen players encountering bugs and long wait times to enter servers. This is, obviously, not the situation we wanted for our launch week and we want you to know that we are putting everything we have at resolving these issues.

What we are doing is deploying more servers over the coming two days which will alleviate many of the ongoing issues. We are also paying close attention to all the bug reports we are receiving from our fans. We’ve already pushed several updates in the last few days. Our live ops team is working 24/7 to resolve issues and ensure that bug fixes roll into the game as quickly as possible.

While the ongoing issues are troubling, we can also see that players are really enjoying the game. In a single 24 hour period, there were more than 38 million buildings plopped down, nearly 7 and a half million kilometers of roads laid down, 18+ million fires started and (my favorite fact) over 40 million pipes filled up with poop.

This team has put everything into this game and won’t stop until things are smooth. We ask our fans to be patient as our team works diligently to fix the issues. We share your passion for SimCity and thank you for your support and understanding.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 03/28/2013 10:35:01

Cool, I get to wait in queue for 20mins and then 3mins over and over. WTB single player mode.

Fixed it!

[quote=Maxis_MD]

[i]While the ongoing issues are troubling, we can also see that Maxis and EA bosses are really enjoying your money. In a single 24 hour period, there were more than 38 million login fails, nearly 7 and a half million other errors down, 18+ million flamse posts made and (my favorite fact) over 40 million USD in the pockets leaving the customers filled up with poop.

This team has put everything into this game and stops now. We ask our fans to be patient as our team pretends to work diligently to fix the issues. We share your passion for SimCity and thank you for your money.[/i]
[/quote]

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 03/07/2013 05:43:07

[quote=Maxis_MD]We ask our fans to be patient[/quote]

can you patiently wait for your money? can i pay in installments of $10 a month and still have full access to the game?

every time i read about how ridiculously stupid this simulation was designed i just crack up laughing. its just utterly mind boggling that anyone at maxis thought this was the way to go.

Simcity. the city simulation that doesn't simulate anything.

[Avatar]

Maxis_MD wrote:What we are doing is deploying more servers over the coming two days which will alleviate many of the ongoing issues.

Kip, first of all, thanks for the note. At least someone has come down from the mountaintop to actually discuss the issue other than stall tactics and nonsensical updates that are replaced by another nonsensical update.

But the candid truth is this: if you failed to predict volume for this game, based on pre-order sales alone, someone is grossly derelict in their job. This is not tough stuff to figure out and you KNEW going into launch that the server capacity would be inadequate. That's a problem.

Either the servers weren't stress tested enough, to a great enough degree or long enough, or someone there is incompetent. I'd like to not think the latter. But this has left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths and consumers in the 21st Century, especially the gaming enthusiasts (of which I am not), will take their business elsewhere. You need to understand this, as well as the EA leadership.

[quote=Zarkaz123]Cool, I get to wait in queue for 20mins and then 3mins over and over. WTB single player mode.[/quote]

Why is EVERYTHING being used to moan about the DRM/Online mode? If you don't like it, don't buy the game. It's there, it's staying, there's no Offline mode anywhere in the near future.

Deal. With. It.

I find it troubling that a company like EA/Maxis didn't have enough servers in the first place with full knowledge of pre-order numbers. How can you be so unprepared?

[quote=bazvink]
Why is EVERYTHING being used to moan about the DRM/Online mode? If you don't like it, don't buy the game. It's there, it's staying, there's no Offline mode anywhere in the near future.

Deal. With. It.[/quote]

-----
Quoted for the Truth

But you know, apes will always be apes

sorry no.
you don't design a game that, because of it's very nature (requiring a server connections even if people aren't interested in multiplayer), doesn't work because of that design decision.

SimCity 2013: Too much Sim and too little City...

Maxis_MD wrote:
This is, obviously, not the situation we wanted for our launch week

Sorry, that's a blatant lie. If you didn't want these issues then this game would not require a constant internet connection. By having it do so is a clear, concise and unmistakable statement that you did indeed want these issues.

Thanks MD, all the best, thanks for keeping one small dream of mine alive. The little guys simulation- looking good

the|neuromancer wrote:
Maxis_MD wrote:
This is, obviously, not the situation we wanted for our launch week

Sorry, that's a blatant lie. If you didn't want these issues then this game would not require a constant internet connection. By having it do so is a clear, concise and unmistakable statement that you did indeed want these issues.

precisely.
everyone who isn't interested in multiplayer is cluttering up their servers as well.

SimCity 2013: Too much Sim and too little City...

[quote=bazvink][quote=Zarkaz123]Cool, I get to wait in queue for 20mins and then 3mins over and over. WTB single player mode.[/quote]

Deal. With. It.[/quote]

because this online only issue is at the heart of the problem.
if servers were more or less stable from launch going forward then most paying customers would probably not complain about it.
but this isnt the case. we cant connect to a game because servers suck. when we can connect we cant load or claim a city. if by some miracle we are able to claim a city we lose progress do to some save corruption. still wondering why people are complaining about simcity being only online?
and yah we knew it would be online only but did most of us know how the game would actually play? was there a mass beta to stress test the servers? no there wasn't. so yah most of us had no idea how the game would actually play

every time i read about how ridiculously stupid this simulation was designed i just crack up laughing. its just utterly mind boggling that anyone at maxis thought this was the way to go.

Simcity. the city simulation that doesn't simulate anything.

I have no problem with the game being online only. If I couldn't play because my internet was down, I wouldn't be upset.

That I can't play at 7AM in the morning two days after launch because the servers are "full" seems ludicrous, however. $70 doesn't grow on trees for me. In general, I am very tolerant of this kind of stuff just seems insane. A 20 minute countdown timer? How about an actual cue, like every other online game, ever, in the history of online games?

[quote=Slider6294][quote=Maxis_MD]What we are doing is deploying more servers over the coming two days which will alleviate many of the ongoing issues. [/quote]

Kip, first of all, thanks for the note. At least someone has come down from the mountaintop to actually discuss the issue other than stall tactics and nonsensical updates that are replaced by another nonsensical update.

But the candid truth is this: if you failed to predict volume for this game, based on pre-order sales alone, someone is grossly derelict in their job. This is not tough stuff to figure out and you KNEW going into launch that the server capacity would be inadequate. That's a problem.

Either the servers weren't stress tested enough, to a great enough degree or long enough, or someone there is incompetent. I'd like to not think the latter. But this has left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths and consumers in the 21st Century, especially the gaming enthusiasts (of which I am not), will take their business elsewhere. You need to understand this, as well as the EA leadership. [/quote]

Eh...I don't know about most people playing Simcity....but I saw the game being played by a shout caster on youtube and bought it based on that last beta weekend in February....and with my copy I bought one for my sister and asked a buddy to get it as well. So...there's 3 that EA didn't expect.

'If you win, you need not have to explain...If you lose, you should not be there to explain!' (Author known but not listed do to him being a real stupid jerk.)
SimCity  > Official Announcements
Go to: