[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Workers - Population Ratio. Need more input from players.  XML
SimCity  > Game Suggestions

Im using the two cities i have as data atm. One with 43k population 5k working that is around 11% of the population that WANT to work. Reminder that im not talking about employment / unemployment. The 2nd city 85k population with around 9k working. Again around 11% of total population that want to work.

Nowhere near realistic at the current figures realistic being 50-70%, but my case might be just an outlier so if others could provide more data it would be nice to see if this was more rampant.

Also if someone with knowledge of how the system works out this percentage would give some information in here that would be really great. (a Dev would be very nice)

All of my cities are exactly the same. I even had some buildings complaining about being out of money... No, traffic wasn't abysmal when they were complaining.

How do you find those stats? Anyway, I too have struggled to find enough workers in my cities. I've run out of room to put more residential in my city and they are still screaming for more workers.

Just Click on the population tab. Under Details it should show you the total number of workers you have in your city and the employment / unemployment rate.

[quote]All of my cities are exactly the same. I even had some buildings complaining about being out of money... No, traffic wasn't abysmal when they were complaining.[/quote]

Good point, i always had the suspicion that the no money issue was due to the fact that 90% of my sims did not want to and/or were unable to work for some reason! But this is just speculation on my part nothing i can verify.

It looks like a bug with density. When a building upgrades from low to medium, and from medium to high, a bunch of extra sims move in, but none of them will add to your workforce. In fact, they don't register as being anywhere, be it working, shopping or in school. You can test this by using a small city and watching the numbers as buildings increase in density. It is a game breaking bug once you reach a certain city size.

That's an interesting explanation. I hope you're right. This is a pretty significant issue as far as employment goes in higher wealth cities.

I'm trying to figure it out as well.

Maybe it means how many actual agents are walking out and going to work. It's the only thing I can think of.

"It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo. The name literally beckons."

I'm also finding the numbers a bit odd, but haven't looked so carefully at them as to arrive at any judgement regarding it.

[quote=TheFungusAmungus]It looks like a bug with density. When a building upgrades from low to medium, and from medium to high, a bunch of extra sims move in, but none of them will add to your workforce. In fact, they don't register as being anywhere, be it working, shopping or in school. You can test this by using a small city and watching the numbers as buildings increase in density. It is a game breaking bug once you reach a certain city size.[/quote]

Thats an interesting proposition. I have a few tests i plan to carry out to verify this, will get back when i get the results.

Ok so heres what i did. Started new city zone a few residential commercial and industrial areas just to get things running. I leveled off at around total pop of 393 and 262 workers. Played around with the houses building, destroying some but the ratio always remained at 66% workers to population.

After waiting for abit, here comes my first medium density low wealth housing. Here comes the interesting part, my first low wealth building my pop increased by 60 and workers by around 40 which is around 66% worker to pop ratio. But the subsequent medium density low wealth building that got up my pop was increasing at a faster rate jumping to 280 sims per building for my last few medium density building BUT the increase in workers was still at 40. In other words the population was growing per building much faster then the increase in workers. Ended up around 4069 total pop and 972 workers making that a 24% Workers to population ratio.

I think i can safely say there is definitely merit to what TheFungusAmungus said.

Did not have time to test the medium wealth buildings, if anyone has the time please feel free to test it out.
As a side note some interesting things i found, a single low wealth house has 6 sims, and a single medium wealth house has 3 sims. Since theres not much variation to low density stuff you can literally count the number of houses and multiply it accordingly to get your total pop at the start.

All of my cities experiences exactly the same. The population is abviously scaled, such that high density residential buildings add more and more poeple. This could work if the density model for C and I also is scaled. I think the problem is that when agents carrying ie 10 people from R arrives at C or I, it is perceived as only one. If this is right, it could explain the whole problem ...

I am having this same game breaking bug.
Pop: 123469
Workers: 11960
Students: 4754
Shoppers: 5359

So only 22073(17.9%) of my 123469 people are doing anything at all? I have barely anything besides residence zoned and I still have ~25000 unfilled jobs. I cant build a city anymore, everyone needs money.

[quote=Draass]Im using the two cities i have as data atm. One with 43k population 5k working that is around 11% of the population that WANT to work. Reminder that im not talking about employment / unemployment. The 2nd city 85k population with around 9k working. Again around 11% of total population that want to work.

Nowhere near realistic at the current figures realistic being 50-70%, but my case might be just an outlier so if others could provide more data it would be nice to see if this was more rampant.

Also if someone with knowledge of how the system works out this percentage would give some information in here that would be really great. (a Dev would be very nice)[/quote]

gameplay is more important than realism, however, i ALWAYS have lack of workers, so the amount of workers per citizens really should be higher.

even in a region with 3 cities with a combined total of about 500.000 sims there wasn't even enough workers in all those 3 cities to provide the workforce needed to effectively run 1 city. So the worker/citizen ratio should be increased by about 4 times.

Join the fastest growing community of SimCity players.
visit http://www.simcityhall.net
[WWW]

[quote=larsmoen]All of my cities experiences exactly the same. The population is abviously scaled, such that high density residential buildings add more and more poeple. This could work if the density model for C and I also is scaled. I think the problem is that when agents carrying ie 10 people from R arrives at C or I, it is perceived as only one. If this is right, it could explain the whole problem ...[/quote]

it is scaled, but a high density factory easily needs 250/300 people, and most big buildings (big police, big fire station, big water, not to mention mining and even commercial) all need employees. but a high density building only has like 300 people (low wealth, because medium and high wealth have much less). but only about 10% of them is working, so that's about 30 workers, not nearly enough to fill all the jobs, not enough by half....

it's not uncommon to have a city without industry that still needs more employees, while industry should be the main source of jobs! (amazingly they do complain about not having factories to work in, even while there's huge amount of empty jobs in all wealth classes).

Join the fastest growing community of SimCity players.
visit http://www.simcityhall.net
[WWW]

Has anyone tried bulldozing the buildings and letting them rebuild? It'd be interesting to see what percentage of a new residential building became workers.
SimCity  > Game Suggestions
Go to: