[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Population display bug - explains low workforce  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

I have been trying to figure out why my percentage of pop that works/shops etc keeps dropping as my city grows and did some testing which seems to explain it.

Basically I made basic power, water and waste then built a block of houses and counted the workers, shoppers, tax, and utulity usage. I then added another block, then another etc and counted up each time.

First block : 186/124/62 total pop/workers/shopper (a 2/3 to 1/3 split of pop between workers and shoppers)
Second block : 372/248/124 - Exactly double, so far so good
Third block : 630/372/186 - Same increase in worker and shoppers but a bigger increase in total pop
Fourth block :1232/496/64 Again same increase in effective pop but displayed pop has virtually doubled
By sixth block displayed pop was over 2600 (14 times one block) but actual workers/shoppers was exactly 6 times higher.
I also checked tax income and utilities and these increase in equal steps for each block too, so the phantom pop in the display seems to have no effect on gameplay at all.

This explains why a 100k pop city seems to have only 10% workforce - its actually a 15k pop city with a huge amount of phantom pop added to the count.

So far I haven't been able to figure out if all this population creates traffic but for the key metrics of workers/shoppers/tax/utility usage the numbers displayed in the details tab seem to be correct and the total pop value irrelevent.

[quote=anickle]
This explains why a 100k pop city seems to have only 10% workforce - its actually a 15k pop city with a huge amount of phantom pop added to the count.
[/quote]

So, in other words, they just beefed up the population count to make the cities seem bigger without the performance hit of *actual* sims...

that explains why only 10% people of my city works...

[quote=Norovo][quote=anickle]
[/quote]

So, in other words, they just beefed up the population count to make the cities seem bigger without the performance hit of *actual* sims...

[/quote]

this has got to be some sort of bug. otherwise why wouldn't they have increased the amount of displayed workers and shoppers right?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/11/2013 23:04:37

every time i read about how ridiculously stupid this simulation was designed i just crack up laughing. its just utterly mind boggling that anyone at maxis thought this was the way to go.

Simcity. the city simulation that doesn't simulate anything.

[Avatar]

[quote=Norovo][quote=anickle]
[/quote]

[/quote]

whats really scary is one needs around 75% of the map to hit 100K phantom 15K actually pop. . .

Just call this sim village. . .

city, even perfectly build, too small for more than 6000-10000 real sims, but they could not display real number, i think you all understand why.

btw Ocean told in one of interviews than one of Maxis devs manage to buil city with 1 000 000 phantom population...imagine even 50% of this were real, 500 000 cars\sims on the streets of our small towns

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2013 23:12:57

[Avatar]

[quote=Haarb]city, even perfectly build, too small for more than 6000-10000 real sims, but they could not display real number, i think you all understand why.

btw Ocean told in one of interviews than one of Maxis devs manage to buil city with 1 000 000 phantom population...imagine even 50% of this were real, 500 000 cars\sims on the streets of our small towns [/quote]

Because it shows how crappy the shiny new engine MAXIS is so proud of really is???

A Flaming Moe wrote:
Haarb wrote:city, even perfectly build, too small for more than 6000-10000 real sims, but they could not display real number, i think you all understand why.

btw Ocean told in one of interviews than one of Maxis devs manage to buil city with 1 000 000 phantom population...imagine even 50% of this were real, 500 000 cars\sims on the streets of our small towns

Because it shows how crappy the shiny new engine MAXIS is so proud of really is???

and that too Server issues was only tip of the iceberg, now when servers no longer pressing matter, people start to notice all other things, almost every aspect of the game is broken or bugged.

Metascore already 66, and its normal considering than 13 of reviews was made playing press version before release.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/11/2013 23:23:16

[quote=greyenigma584636][quote=Norovo][quote=anickle]
[/quote]

[/quote]

this has got to be some sort of bug. otherwise why wouldn't they have increased the amount of displayed workers and shoppers right?[/quote]

How could it be a bug if what the OP says is true? He counted his population and it doesn't match the displayed numbers.

It makes perfect sense to me. This is the reason why the maps are so small: the engine is overloaded already. They underestimated the performance hit of having tens of thousands of sims tracked simultaneously, just as they underestimated their server load.

[Avatar]

Good find, now to figure out where all of these jobs are coming from. I'm trying to figure out what is giving me 15k jobs when I have 99% of my city zoned as residential.

Some statistic from me:

122K pop, 11.9K workers (~10%)
17 high density commerce buildings, 8 high density factories

8,5k free work place.

So to fill up 17 commercial buildings and 8 factories i need... 240k population city? really?

[Avatar]

This is either bugged or mis-representation or both.

Waiting for an update worthy of the x.0 nomenclature.

I'm not seeing the big deal here. None of the SimCity games before this one truly took into account that Sim "X' works at place "Y". The only exception to this was SimCity 4 where you could put your Sims from The Sims 1 into the game to live and keep track of them. But this is nowhere near the scale of all the Sims that are tracked on this one.

Should we make assumptions as to why 10% of the population is supporting 90%? When they bring back cheetah speed, you'll see that that happy father bringing home the bacon will have spawned 8 beautiful children who will remember fondly their childhood home as they rush to fill those vacant positions digging coal or making wig glue.

I don't mind if they have to put in phantom pop because they can't sim every individual, I just wish they did it consistently say 4 phantom for every real pop.
Instead the phantom pop grows exponentially so you see your pop go from 100k to 200k and think you have doubled but in actuality you have gone from something like 20k to 25k. The higher your pop the less sense the game seems to make because you are seemingly supporting more and more massive populations with ever decreasing percentage of real sims.
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: