[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Test Server Feedback - Features are in test  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

Developer
[Avatar]

We have enabled a couple of features on the server named TEST in your server list.

• Global Market - After the feedback we got from our last test we have worked on this and are ready for your feedback. Try to flood the market with resources, try to starve the market, try to make your millions and be sure to give us your feedback.

• Region Filters - This should now display more than Titan Gorge, give it a try.

Please post your feedback/issue reports regarding these features in this thread.

Thanks

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/30/2013 11:44:13

[WWW]

[Avatar]

Hi,
my feedback for global trade is that I need graphs with trends of prices for each product. Also ability to automatically stop selling or buying if prices is too high or too low. Otherwise I go bankrupt during a phone call or making coffee.

something new is going to come

Developer
[Avatar]

Thanks for the feedback Kotonek
[WWW]

[Avatar]

i'll play ball seeing as ev was actually polite via PM!

I noticed region filters before and they appeared to do exactly as i personally would expect. I'm sure others may pester for finer control but they offered me variety in choice for region join selection.

i probably wont use them with the current bugs / lack of depth (for me) with regards multiplayer regions but one thing i did notice they, at least on quick inspection, appear to be positively responsive with regards to abandonment history. Meaning an old region i tried as multi player a long time ago, when abandoned since the filter addition, was visible as one of the top returned results on a regions to join search.

Some may cry that their own abandoned regions should not be returned maybe, but realistically that's unfair as it does prove recently abandoned regions are first to be displayed.

As a possible suggestion on multi play region and keeping the 'in play' regions alive with active players- could the creator of a region not simply be allowed to decide the 'not logged on' duration of cities before cities in a region are auto abandoned? Simple DB field added to region data and an auto boot / abandon cities in that region executed when any player logs into said region.

Obviously a prominent notification of the AFK duration before forced city abandonment would need to be displayed (probably via a click to accept) when joining an already created region

we wanted to modernize and refresh the original concept while keeping true to the spirit of the older games, and that was especially true of the economic loop.
[Email]

Developer
[Avatar]

Thank you for your input Potorium.
Regarding the other post you made, we are working on those issues as well but these features are server side changes we enabled after working on them. The other items require a client update which is in the works.
[WWW]

[Avatar]

k.

one thing about the 'most recent' active / abandonment thing. How hard would it be to not mark a region active until a player has been in the region for a certain time frame?

reason i ask is,

when i abandoned a city / region , it showed up at the top of the search list due to me being active(for seconds) before exiting the city and abandoning it, and not necessarily because anyone else in that region has been for along time.

Placing this time limit before marking as active would prevent people loading a city, realizing they don't want it and abandoning it. giving the illusion that the region may be active to a new 'joiner' who might only realize its not after spending sometime there.

hope that explanation makes sense?

edited to add

will stop the 'but it said it was active 1 minute ago when i joined it and yet not one person has logged since i joined 3 days ago! i thought this was multiplayer...' type stuff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/20/2013 14:34:30

we wanted to modernize and refresh the original concept while keeping true to the spirit of the older games, and that was especially true of the economic loop.
[Email]

[Avatar]

I really like the filter to join games. I like that I can choose the map I want, friends, and whether or not I want sandbox mode.

Global features, I can't give an honest feedback until I've played for a few days. Will the Global Stats of all player be reset once they are returned back to the game?

Developer
[Avatar]

JamieLD5 - Global Market will be individual per server but if you quit for the day and go back tomorrow for example, the values may have changed because the server tracks the values and not the client. So one day your coal might sell for big money, next day it could be worth nothing if lots of people flood the market with coal.

Potorium - Good idea, I'll put that to the team, makes the filters more useful with the change you suggest rather than just screens of recently abandoned regions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/20/2013 15:29:16

[WWW]

[Avatar]

So far I like it - as I was play I thought about it a little bit and I wonder what is driving the market for TV's and computers? Is it based on the great works?

I ask this because it seems to me that there is *ALWAYS* going to be a highly saturated processor market because it's the ONLY way to unlock the consumer electronics factory. Now if this has been thought out then I am sure you accommodate this in some way otherwise it is something to think about and improve on.

The only reason I mention it is because I am having a heck of a time trying to unlock the electronic consumer factory. Maybe this is intended? If not maybe going by processors shipped/day is a better idea? Similar for the first unlock for the oil industry. The ONLY path to unlock the (potentially) higher selling goods seems to be oil production until you hit the required profit per day.

If there is only one path - everyone has to follow that path regardless of the market. If the market is continually saturated with the product and no demand, how can one gain entry to the market if the upgrade are based on profit per day. <- that is my point.

Keep up the good work -
-Still need graphs of past data
-profit per day vs amount per day (look into which makes more sense)

Thanks for the communication.

I don't always smell or look awesome. But I am. It's just you don't smell or see good.

Developer
[Avatar]

Great feedback ernie3444, thank you.
I have put your question about electronics to the designers and logged all your feedback.
[WWW]

while a global supply and demand sounds good in theory i think in practice its not going to work very well.
but i guess well wait and see what happens when it hits live servers.
I wish there was more reason to stay working on a city longer then a day or 2, i very quickly max out my cities with whatever i want to do and the replay value for them gets very low since there is essentialy no improvments left to be made. I think this feeling is common among players and the short life of cities will quickly break the global economy.
but yeah, lets wait and see EA has based there "vision" on this feature that isnt going live till several months after launch (LOL). Hopefully they've thought this through and it will benefit replay value of the game (doubtful)

MaxisBazajaytee - battlefield and now simcity? my two fav games!!!!

On the regionfilters, for me personally i would like to see more "options" - think the bf2/bf3 server browser
"hide full/empty, activity %, remaining resources %, current pollution in region %" etc
perhaps a HIDE ___ DLC checklist - similar to the "karkand, close quarters " filters in bf3

Thank you

charlie

[Avatar]

is there some way to view the global markets current prices for all commodities and products without having to place their corresponding storage lots first? if not some way for this info to be see possible?

plop-able commodities market office? or more likely just a simple windowed list tabbed onto one already in game

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/20/2013 18:49:52

[Email]

[Avatar]

Potorium wrote:is there some way to view the global markets current prices for all commodities and products without having to place their corresponding storage lots first? if not some way for this info to be see possible?

stoppable commodities market office? or more likely just a simple windowed list tabbed onto one already in game

Yes, to follow up on this, something like the global market menu that was in the promotional video would suffice.

i just dont understand how an economy built on infinite supply and only a very small demand for top tier items is going to work.

The only sink for resources is building great works, but ther eis no way enough great works are going to be built everyday to make the supporting industries profitable, especially since there is an infite supply of materials.

Recycling depots can chug out materials forever, and far more people buidl new mining towns all the time then there are people who build great works. and once you have your great work, there is no more demand for materials from you.

I know you guys at EA have made it your vision to tack this feature on to justify the DRM but i honestly think your about to break the only semi working thing in this game, the economy
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: