[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Is it me or is this worse than on PC?  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion
Author Message




Joined: 04/05/2013 01:45:58
Messages: 21
Offline

Hi,

I bought win 7 to run this a while ago on my mac but just deleted that and installed this on the osx side. Is it me or do the graphics now look terrible? Resolution limited to 1680? my retina can go to 2880 x 1800 and I am sure the pc version run better than this. Is jerky and v low quality looking even though set to high settings. Does not make sense how this can run worse on the software/drivers/hw relationship the macbook was designed to run optimally with/

Anyone else feel the same... mins after trying, already quit and off to Planetside 2 unless someone can say am doing something wrong. Drop down res option oly goes up to 1680.

Thanks



[Avatar]
Joined: 11/24/2012 11:04:51
Messages: 159
Location: North East England
Offline

You will not be able to run the game at Retina graphics; no Mac currently has the graphics memory to do so. Also if you have a 13" Retina MacBook Pro then even running at more than the recommended 1440x900 is going to seriously slow the game down.

What you might want to do is run at a purposefully lower resolution, and then you can whack up all the other settings to their highest.

See my thread: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9683364.page

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/29/2013 10:23:20


I play on a notebook with 2.2GHz Core i7 (Sandy Bridge), 8GB 1600MHz RAM, and a Radeon HD 6750M with 1024MB shader memory.

Under Windows 7, SC'13 runs acceptably. Under MacOS v10.9, it runs like frozen treacle.




Joined: 04/01/2012 09:23:48
Messages: 86
Offline

Praetorias wrote:Hi,

I bought win 7 to run this a while ago on my mac but just deleted that and installed this on the osx side. Is it me or do the graphics now look terrible? Resolution limited to 1680? my retina can go to 2880 x 1800 and I am sure the pc version run better than this. Is jerky and v low quality looking even though set to high settings. Does not make sense how this can run worse on the software/drivers/hw relationship the macbook was designed to run optimally with/

Anyone else feel the same... mins after trying, already quit and off to Planetside 2 unless someone can say am doing something wrong. Drop down res option oly goes up to 1680.

Thanks


Yes you´re right.
I also have the 15´Retina MacBook Pro and the Mac version of the this game is not playable, even in the lowest settings.
The Mac version is so laggy and unresponsive...




Joined: 04/05/2013 01:45:58
Messages: 21
Offline

How comes when I was playing this on win 7 partition on my mac it worked MUCH better, and graphics were impressive. The hw can take it as I have seen it, the fault lies with the game if it is not coded for mac properly. I can run much more demanding and impressive games with this mbpr 15" than this!




Joined: 04/01/2012 09:23:48
Messages: 86
Offline

Praetorias wrote:How comes when I was playing this on win 7 partition on my mac it worked MUCH better, and graphics were impressive. The hw can take it as I have seen it, the fault lies with the game if it is not coded for mac properly. I can run much more demanding and impressive games with this mbpr 15" than this!


I mean, it´s already badly optimized for Windows users, they * e d up the Mac version even more. Haha grattis EA/Maxis era jävla idioter...




Joined: 05/15/2011 09:04:27
Messages: 1
Offline

It's completely unplayable on my 2013 Macbook Pro 15 inch retina. 2.7 ghz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, Geforce GT 650M.

The FPS seem alright when I dont move anthing, but as soon as I try to move the camera, pan, tilt or move, there are MASSIVE slowdowns and lag. It's virtually unplayable.

I played it on my bootcamp Win 7, and it was much much much better, but I bought this game to be played on my Mac OS X, which is obviously not possible right now. Will someone from Maxis confirm that they are looking into this?




Joined: 04/01/2012 09:23:48
Messages: 86
Offline

Glansen wrote:It's completely unplayable on my 2013 Macbook Pro 15 inch retina. 2.7 ghz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, Geforce GT 650M.

The FPS seem alright when I dont move anthing, but as soon as I try to move the camera, pan, tilt or move, there are MASSIVE slowdowns and lag. It's virtually unplayable.

I played it on my bootcamp Win 7, and it was much much much better, but I bought this game to be played on my Mac OS X, which is obviously not possible right now. Will someone from Maxis confirm that they are looking into this?


Well, you and me have the same computer (I have the "cheap" version 2,3 GHz) and as you say, the game runs like * in OS X. It dosen´t run so good in Windows either, but the Mac version is a bigger joke...




Joined: 08/29/2013 12:40:00
Messages: 2
Offline

I was really looking forward to the mac release, sadly the mac version of simcity is a disaster.

I can't change the resolution higher than 1680x1050 and the game is laggy as hell on that resolution.

The win7 version played just fine on my macbook pro retina 15 even with a resolution of 1920x1200, because of this and the delay that came with the mac version i lost my last faith in sim city.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/29/2013 11:09:31





Joined: 04/28/2012 00:48:52
Messages: 559
Offline

lucas060594 wrote:I was really looking forward to the mac release, sadly the mac version of simcity is a disaster.

I can't change the resolution higher than 1680x1050 and the game is laggy as hell on that resolution.

The win7 version played just fine on my macbook pro retina 15 even with a resolution of 1920x1200, because of this and the delay that came with the mac version i lost my last faith in sim city.


Macs suck for gaming period. Music, Photoshop ect are all a macs good for

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/29/2013 11:18:18





Joined: 04/01/2012 09:23:48
Messages: 86
Offline

Chelletoria wrote:
lucas060594 wrote:I was really looking forward to the mac release, sadly the mac version of simcity is a disaster.

I can't change the resolution higher than 1680x1050 and the game is laggy as hell on that resolution.

The win7 version played just fine on my macbook pro retina 15 even with a resolution of 1920x1200, because of this and the delay that came with the mac version i lost my last faith in sim city.


Macs suck for gaming period. Music, Photoshop ect are all a macs good for


Can you then explain why WOW and Diablo 3 runs better on my Mac when I am using OS X, when I run these two games I'm Windows (same Mac) I have less fps.
So no, you're not right. The fact is that SimCity is already badly optimized for Windows. Mac version is even a bigger joke.
You can run Crysis 3, 1080p, everything on high and it runs better than SimCity in 1440 resolution and settings on medium. Dosent make any sense at all

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/29/2013 11:35:34





Joined: 02/26/2013 12:13:58
Messages: 36
Offline

Laggy Laggy even on a Mac Pro im kind of underwhelmed.




Joined: 08/29/2013 12:40:00
Messages: 2
Offline

Chelletoria wrote:
lucas060594 wrote:I was really looking forward to the mac release, sadly the mac version of simcity is a disaster.

I can't change the resolution higher than 1680x1050 and the game is laggy as hell on that resolution.

The win7 version played just fine on my macbook pro retina 15 even with a resolution of 1920x1200, because of this and the delay that came with the mac version i lost my last faith in sim city.


Macs suck for gaming period. Music, Photoshop ect are all a macs good for


I know that a macbook is not meant for hardcore gaming but i don't consider simcity under that category.Tthe thing is why can't i change the resolution higher and why do's the mac client has such poor performance compared to the windows client on the same system?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/29/2013 12:41:36





Joined: 07/11/2013 20:37:36
Messages: 25
Offline

lucas060594 wrote:
Chelletoria wrote:
lucas060594 wrote:I was really looking forward to the mac release, sadly the mac version of simcity is a disaster.

I can't change the resolution higher than 1680x1050 and the game is laggy as hell on that resolution.

The win7 version played just fine on my macbook pro retina 15 even with a resolution of 1920x1200, because of this and the delay that came with the mac version i lost my last faith in sim city.


Macs suck for gaming period. Music, Photoshop ect are all a macs good for


I know that a macbook is not meant for hardcore gaming but i don't consider simcity under that category.


Well you should because its actually quite cpu intensive




Joined: 04/28/2012 00:48:52
Messages: 559
Offline

JokerM6 wrote:
Chelletoria wrote:
lucas060594 wrote:I was really looking forward to the mac release, sadly the mac version of simcity is a disaster.

I can't change the resolution higher than 1680x1050 and the game is laggy as hell on that resolution.

The win7 version played just fine on my macbook pro retina 15 even with a resolution of 1920x1200, because of this and the delay that came with the mac version i lost my last faith in sim city.


Macs suck for gaming period. Music, Photoshop ect are all a macs good for


Can you then explain why WOW and Diablo 3 runs better on my Mac when I am using OS X, when I run these two games I'm Windows (same Mac) I have less fps.
So no, you're not right. The fact is that SimCity is already badly optimized for Windows. Mac version is even a bigger joke.
You can run Crysis 3, 1080p, everything on high and it runs better than SimCity in 1440 resolution and settings on medium. Dosent make any sense at all


WOW has a 2004 engine...... Diablo was made for consoles.... This is made for a lot of CPU usage and graphics. Macs lack when it comes to this. Im saying this wearing my apple work shirt lol.




Joined: 08/29/2013 15:08:15
Messages: 1
Offline

I bought SimCity specifically for the Mac version but played for a few weeks in Windows 8 using Boot Camp. I have a late 2009 iMac (i7 2.8GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850) and the game ran flawlessly at 1920x1080 with all settings set to "Medium". With today's Mac release I was expecting similar performance (I am attempting to play on the same hardware), but the game is unplayable at most resolutions with all of the graphics settings set to "Low". This is abysmal. Surely this is an oversight. I realize that my machine isn't anything high-end by today's standards, but the fact that this game plays so well under Windows 8 and is not manageable at all under OS X (it takes 30 seconds or more for my click on the "Settings" button just to shut down the game) has to be a problem with the coding and not my hardware limitations. Now I'm stuck with a game that I intended to play in OS X as advertised but can only play under rebooting my machine into a different operating system. Absolutely disgusting...
SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: