[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Mac User With Positive Experience  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

I know a lot of people are having issues with the newly released Mac version, and I honestly feel for you. I've been looking forward to this release for some time and I would be pretty bummed if I had technical issues.

BUT I wanted to share some positive feedback with my Mac experience. I've played about 3 hours of generally bug/issue free games and really am having a good time. I feel a bit cramped in my small city but overall it's fun, intuitive and nice to look at. Still have some more to play before my final judgement but so far so good. Good luck to everyone having issues.

I'm playing on a relatively old machine, specs:
Early 2009 iMac
Core Duo: 2.93
8 gig Ram
Radeon HD 4850 (512MB ram) video card
OSX: 10.8.4

Settings: Everything on HIGH except shadows (medium). Relatively smooth (surprisingly)

I agree, I have played about 4 hours, gameplay is as expected, performance is good. Yes it would be nice to have the full resolution of my 27" iMac, but I can live with the current maximum resolution. I will give Maxis the benefit of the doubt that this may be a bug related to the way Apple reports maximum resolution available or a driver issue. Time will tell.

Another positive review here!! Love it.... what's all the complaining about anyway? The game rocks!

macsimolean wrote:Another positive review here!! Love it.... what's all the complaining about anyway? The game rocks!

It's not running well on everyone's Mac, and it's version 7 of the game so it should be starting to rock by now

Good to hear that some are having fun on the Mac

FoxHoundADAM wrote:BUT I wanted to share some positive feedback with my Mac experience. I've played about 3 hours of generally bug/issue free games and really am having a good time. I feel a bit cramped in my small city but overall it's fun, intuitive and nice to look at. Still have some more to play before my final judgement but so far so good. Good luck to everyone having issues.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it is a positive experience yet. A bug/issue free game in the first few hours is the minimum I expect when paying for a game (and then waiting for almost half a year because the developers say it is not ready yet).
Also it is on the slowest side when scrolling or zooming and the graphics look worse than a video game of the 80s when I zoom fully in to follow a single sim.
Additionally I don't expect a message at start up that "my graphic card is better than the minimum required but still not good enough".

So far it is, for me at least, at best a neutral experience. Certainly not enough to compensate and turn around my negative attitude after all the delays (I preordered shortly after the march-delay because I couldn't imagin that they would delay it again [Boy, was I wrong]) and issues when downloading and installing. If it hadn't been for some very helpful fellow Mac-Users (THANK YOU "Spielkraft" and "beans10001" and "lucky50505" ), I probabely still wouldn't be playing because the help I got was not from EA/Maxis.

I have only played an hour and a half so far, though. So after the weekend I might change my opinion.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/30/2013 00:07:37

DrRabidMonkey wrote:
macsimolean wrote:Another positive review here!! Love it.... what's all the complaining about anyway? The game rocks!

It's not running well on everyone's Mac, and it's version 7 of the game so it should be starting to rock by now

Good to hear that some are having fun on the Mac

Having a blast.... it is 3am. Calling out of work tomorrow... that is about my only negative complaint so far. Basically this is too addicting.

Running iMac 10.8.4 2.7GHz 8GB.... no problems at all. Maybe there are some monitor resolution issues, but I am not really complaining.... looks great!

[Avatar]

I also have positive experience with the game itself. It works quite smooth on my MBP 13" though with all GPU related settings on minimal (but that was to be expected with GeForce 320M).

The only problem I have with it is that there is no way to skip the initial video (pressing keys on mouse buttons doesn't do anything) and anty-aliasing settings doesn't seem to work (I enabled it and edges still aren't smooth, just like before).

Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) | MBP 13" (mid-2010) with OS X 10.8 | Google Chrome

I absolutely love the game with my cute little MacBook Air mid-2012. I know the graphic is not as on a PC, but hey at least I can play it on my MAC.

Not a lot of developers bring Games out for MAC. So I am super duper happy. Played for 4 hours and my hand got stiff, that´s what you get from playing in the comfort of your bed and a mouse Pain well worth it.

Honestly I will not buy the DLC packages/add on´s, but I feel the money for the standards version is very reasonably prized. I mean you can have 24/7 fun playing it for the rest of your life.

I have been reading the Forum for months and am aware of the majority of players who comment being disappointed, but it did not affect my decision to buy the game and I have not regretted it for a second.

I am a HAPPY MACBOOK AIR SIMCITY 5 PLAYER

Kojak321 wrote:
FoxHoundADAM wrote:BUT I wanted to share some positive feedback with my Mac experience. I've played about 3 hours of generally bug/issue free games and really am having a good time. I feel a bit cramped in my small city but overall it's fun, intuitive and nice to look at. Still have some more to play before my final judgement but so far so good. Good luck to everyone having issues.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it is a positive experience yet. A bug/issue free game in the first few hours is the minimum I expect when paying for a game (and then waiting for almost half a year because the developers say it is not ready yet).
Also it is on the slowest side when scrolling or zooming and the graphics look worse than a video game of the 80s when I zoom fully in to follow a single sim.
Additionally I don't expect a message at start up that "my graphic card is better than the minimum required but still not good enough".

So far it is, for me at least, at best a neutral experience. Certainly not enough to compensate and turn around my negative attitude after all the delays (I preordered shortly after the march-delay because I couldn't imagin that they would delay it again [Boy, was I wrong]) and issues when downloading and installing. If it hadn't been for some very helpful fellow Mac-Users (THANK YOU "Spielkraft" and "beans10001" and "lucky50505" ), I probabely still wouldn't be playing because the help I got was not from EA/Maxis.

I have only played an hour and a half so far, though. So after the weekend I might change my opinion.

Sorry to hear you had issues, from the looks of it it appears there have been a lot of those on the mac. I just wanted to let some pople know that it wasn't all doom and gloom. But yes, it's still early, time will tell how I truely feel about the gameplay. So far so good though.

It is lagging and slow on my early 2012 MacBook Pro. Maybe it runs better on desktop Macs than laptops? I dont think it should. It should run the same. I do think its a bug though so it just needs to be found and fixed.

[Avatar]

jrnavid2 wrote:Maybe it runs better on desktop Macs than laptops? I dont think it should. It should run the same

It shouldn't - desktop Macs have dedicated GPU (with exception of Mac mini) while MacBooks mostly have integrated GPU (more recent models Intel HD, older ones NVIDIA GeForce).

Especially those with Intel GPUs can expect problems - graphics drivers on OS X generally don't have the same performance as their Windows counterparts. And for Intel gamers aren't main audience so they don't optimize drivers for them as well as NVIDIA and ATI do.

revanmj wrote:
jrnavid2 wrote:Maybe it runs better on desktop Macs than laptops? I dont think it should. It should run the same

It shouldn't - desktop Macs have dedicated GPU (with exception of Mac mini) while MacBooks mostly have integrated GPU (more recent models Intel HD, older ones NVIDIA GeForce).

Especially those with Intel GPUs can expect problems - graphics drivers on OS X generally don't have the same performance as their Windows counterparts. And for Intel gamers aren't main audience so they don't optimize drivers for them as well as NVIDIA and ATI do.

What is strange is that when running Boot Camp with Windows 7 and playing SimCity through there, the graphics card works just fine and the game has not lag

[Avatar]

jrnavid2 wrote:What is strange is that when running Boot Camp with Windows 7 and playing SimCity through there, the graphics card works just fine and the game has not lag

Did you read what I wrote?

graphics drivers on OS X generally don't have the same performance as their Windows counterparts.

revanmj wrote:
jrnavid2 wrote:What is strange is that when running Boot Camp with Windows 7 and playing SimCity through there, the graphics card works just fine and the game has not lag

Did you read what I wrote?

graphics drivers on OS X generally don't have the same performance as their Windows counterparts.

Yes I read what you wrote. And I thought you were talking about the same card being on two difference machines, one Windows, one Mac.

[Avatar]

jrnavid2 wrote:Yes I read what you wrote. And I thought you were talking about the same card being on two difference machines, one Windows, one Mac.

No, I was talking about the same card on the same machine. The only difference being OS and of course drivers. Many games worked better on Boot Camp than OS X on my MBP.

My guess is that driver architecture on OS X is different (also there wasn't many games for Mac before), engineers don't have as much experience as with writing drivers for Windows. They are improving with time. Problem is you have to pay for new version of OS X to get the updates instead of downloading free driver update like on Windows. I've read that OS X 10.9 has much better GPU drivers than 10.8, so SimCity performance may improve after this update.

SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: