[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
The true state of the game (video from patch 9.0)  XML
SimCity  > General Discussion

Started a new city post patch 9.0. Here is a very simple example of the GlassBox engine in action, nine months after its initial release.

To give you a little bit of info, the city layout comprises of a residential area on one side, interleaved with some commercial buildings, plus the industrial district on the opposite side.

The bus network has stops throughout the city, with a higher density in the residential and the industrial areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQrCTjif02w

That's right, intracity transportation is broken, always has been. Don't use it.

[Avatar]

This is why I stopped playing the game a few months ago ....

This Game

This video is a perfect representation of the entire game.

I stopped playing after patch 6.0, then decided to fire it up again today. I can see that some things are improved ...but to what point? The same problems that made the game unplayable 6 months ago still exist.

djminkx wrote:...but to what point? The same problems that made the game unplayable 6 months ago still exist.

I play just fine without buses. Waste of money anyway, the traffic is so dumbed down a 6yo could manage it.

djminkx wrote:This video is a perfect representation of the entire game.

Very true. It's an impossible situation as well. The so called simulation is so rotten at its core and so many hacks were built on top of it to make it a bit more bareable that Maxis will just have to wash their embarrassement, if they ever could, and move onto the next iteration of the franchise.

SimCity (2013) is nothing more than a nicely rendered city with some numbers on top. Don't really understand why I get excited with every new patch they release.

The public transit can work, but only if you use a VERY limited number of stops.

Too late for me I'm afraid. Just bought the damn game and I realized the mistake I made after watching rivers of mindless zombies conga lining on the streets in my city walking in circles.

In your video Moonstorm, why are there what appears to be a horde of shoppers in an area where it's clear there are no shops whatsoever?
Is this the state of the so much praized GlassBox engine one year after the release? You must be joking! Why am I seeing people on this forum buying DLCs and expansions and what not. This is not a simulation! It's one of those games for 2 year olds to match shapes, or in this case plopping down buildings wherever possible and yes, then watching some stupid numbers.

Kulzar wrote:The public transit can work, but only if you use a VERY limited number of stops.

Yeah... :S

Damn... If only we had bus routes too...

Yup. Buses are good for getting more agents to spawn on foot instead of in a car, but terrible for getting agents to a destination. I tend to mince my industrial zoning in with everything else to encourage walking, so it works out a little better, but still leads to masses of people wandering around from stop to stop.

Better for tourism though.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/10/2014 02:42:52

[Avatar]

Its too complicated if it were to have been made to work correctly. Complication isnt fun, so weve made everything teleport! We wanted the depth of simulation but then realized how un-fun it actually was so we backed up a bit.

-More or less what the devs agree on

-Can't understand how people enjoy city building games if they build horrid looking cities..

i5.2500k-5GhzSSD16gbram7950+7950-1.1Ghzwin(8.1)waterUHD4Kresolution

NAE4 "Dominion"

xidillon wrote:Its too complicated if it were to have been made to work correctly. Complication isnt fun, so weve made everything teleport! We wanted the depth of simulation but then realized how un-fun it actually was so we backed up a bit.

-More or less what the devs agree on

Actually teleportation would have solved this particular problem.

78stonewobble wrote:
Actually teleportation would have solved this particular problem.

If they only knew where they were going Unfortunately they don't, they only get sucked into nearby sink holes.

This game was more about looks than how it works.. which is the opposite of what a simulation is about.

Its flawed in every aspect. Has been since launch, and the pitiful attempts to fix it since them havent really changed much.

Heres a updated review from kotaku..

I am disappointed in SimCity, and nothing Maxis or EA has done since launch has changed that. I know there are players who somehow manage to embrace the game with all its flaws, but I am not one of them. I'd go as far as to say that my 2013 would have been a much happier one if I'd never played SimCity.

I agree with that.

http://kotaku.com/5989115/simcity-the-kotaku-review/1487243638/@Fahey

Probably been posted already although I have entirely given up on the game and the forums as imo this game was a pathetic attempt at a Simcity, just popped in to see if anything has changed, but I should have guessed it hasnt.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/11/2014 13:22:55

SimCity  > General Discussion
Go to: