[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Modding Policy  XML
SimCity  > Community-Generated Content

Developer
[Avatar]

Since opening up the conversation about Modding on the forums, we’ve been excited to see our emerging Mod community evolving. Players have been breaking new ground with Mods such as the first custom building, The Central Train Station (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28985-central-train-station/ ) and there are many more and hope that there will be more to come.

We want to support our growing Modding community. We are commited to bringing you an Offline Single Player mode that will give our players more room to experiment without sacrificing the integrity and experience of our multiplayer game. For more details see Patrick's blog here: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-offline-is-coming?utm_source=SimCity.com&utm_medium=Hero+Banner&utm_campaign=SimCity+Offline+is+Coming.

In the coming months, we’ll be releasing “How Things Work” blogs to help you understand how we made our game. We’ve opened the Community Generated Content sub-forum here as a place for players to discuss and promote Mods. Finally, we’ve clarified our Modding policy below to make our policies clear.

Here is the official Modding Policy: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/modding-and-simcity

What comes next is up to you, our players. We hope the SimCity Modding community continues to grow and we’re looking forward to seeing what you create.

-MaxisKane

edited to add a link to Patrick's blog about Offline coming.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/13/2014 10:25:20

[Avatar]

Too little, too late.

“Very well, if that is the way the winds are blowing, let no one say I don't also blow.”

Mayor Joe Quimby

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-encourages-simcity-modding-with-limitations-still-considering-offline-mode/1100-6417075/

Read the comments...

It would be in your best interests to make offline mode a priority so that EA can cut their loses on server maintenance and the community can start rebuilding this mess...

offline mode means that is makes no difference whether people "respect the integrity of the game" or not...which is as it should be for a builder game like this.
If all you're going to let people do is re-skin things then don't bother.
Game is dying fast. Hurry up.

Developer
[Avatar]

Patrick announced in a blog today that we will releasing SimCity Offline play with a single player mode. This should give players a mode that they can experiment more freely with mods in.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-offline-is-coming?utm_source=SimCity.com&utm_medium=Hero+Banner&utm_campaign=SimCity+Offline+is+Coming

We'll be releasing more details about how the mode will work in the coming weeks. Let us know if you have questions about how this impacts modding.

Thanks,
MaxisKane

MaxisKane wrote:Patrick announced in a blog today that we will releasing SimCity Offline play with a single player mode. This should give players a mode that they can experiment more freely with mods in.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-offline-is-coming?utm_source=SimCity.com&utm_medium=Hero+Banner&utm_campaign=SimCity+Offline+is+Coming

We'll be releasing more details about how the mode will work in the coming weeks. Let us know if you have questions about how this impacts modding.

Thanks,
MaxisKane

please do a live Q&A session for modders on Twitch

Developer
[Avatar]

Ransom2517 wrote:

please do a live Q&A session for modders on Twitch

That's a good idea Ransom. I'll talk to the team about that for one of our future twitch stream ideas.

"Distribution of your Mod in any form constitutes a grant by you to EA of an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, sub-licensable right to use, copy, modify and distribute that Mod (and derivatives of that Mod), and use your name if we choose to, for any purpose and through any means, and without obligation to pay you anything, obtain your approval, or give you credit. You also agree to promptly execute assignments confirming this license upon request from EA."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that we basically release all control to you (EA) upon upload of the mod? I can't imagine why anyone would want that. I create mods for one of your games, and while you certainly don't have to pay me, I would at least want credit should you copy, modify, or distribute that mod.

Again, I could not care less if you don't pay me. I never asked for nor wanted that, and I'm sure most modders feel the same way. I do want credit though, if you are going do something with my mod.

[Avatar]

Chicken0895 wrote:"Distribution of your Mod in any form constitutes a grant by you to EA of an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, sub-licensable right to use, copy, modify and distribute that Mod (and derivatives of that Mod), and use your name if we choose to, for any purpose and through any means, and without obligation to pay you anything, obtain your approval, or give you credit. You also agree to promptly execute assignments confirming this license upon request from EA."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that we basically release all control to you (EA) upon upload of the mod? I can't imagine why anyone would want that. I create mods for one of your games, and while you certainly don't have to pay me, I would at least want credit should you copy, modify, or distribute that mod.

Again, I could not care less if you don't pay me. I never asked for nor wanted that, and I'm sure most modders feel the same way. I do want credit though, if you are going do something with my mod.

I could understand if they wanted to package mods that improve the game what I would be worried about is them making the mod DLC that you have to payfor

what they should do is create an environment like iTunes or Google play where people can submit their work and get paid for it and EA just takes a cut that way mod quality will stay consistent and people that work hard and do good work can afford to keep modding

[ Will it run it? ] Computer Upgrade, Building, and Buying Megathread

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9038960.page

You will give us a tool for modding? Or we will have to use the simcitypak oppie?

[Avatar]

Give us more modding powers, or give us death!

I like bridges.
Project Palm Tree Supporter

[Avatar]

Chicken0895 wrote:"Distribution of your Mod in any form constitutes a grant by you to EA of an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, sub-licensable right to use, copy, modify and distribute that Mod (and derivatives of that Mod), and use your name if we choose to, for any purpose and through any means, and without obligation to pay you anything, obtain your approval, or give you credit. You also agree to promptly execute assignments confirming this license upon request from EA."

Hmm.. In light of reading this I might stay gone after all. I'm with OP I don't want to be paid for anything I create but that doesn't mean you own it lol

"Either way, you whine and EA is evil" - SimCity Mod

[Avatar]

While GlassBox is a live production platform (Sims 4, at least) I don't think we'll be seeing any official modding tools.

Dev platforms are often factored to have around a 5 year commercial life-span.
SimCity  > Community-Generated Content
Go to: