[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
FIFA 14 - The best FIFA to date  XML
FIFA 14 & World Cup  > General Discussion

Waterboy

daherlihy wrote:If members want to continue posting in a disruptive manner, be it sarcastic or otherwise, further actions will be taken.

Can't we all just get along and be a community?!

My bad, I shouldn't be sarcastic yet I guess I find people's pig headed attitude frustrating as I agree people just rant about Fifa, moan about people abusing the game when if they stopped moaning they would realise it's a pointless rant considering they can use other aspects of their game to their advantage.

I personally enjoy beating high pressure players or keeping a clean sheet against people who think they have to play lobbed passes, it's really not that difficult.

Local Club Sub

Actually it's the worst piece of ... since few years.
I left my PS4 ans switched to PC and PES 2014.

FIFA 14 - huge disappointment

Last pick at the park

Worst fifa by far..... 09-13 Was ok not great but playable. fifa 14 is just a mess they should have beta tested and fan tested when release... If they can remove the bugs out the game it will be semi ok game..

Professional Contract
[Avatar]

upload a serious video with analysis of online gameplay and show me why its better than FIFA13.

i cant take it seriously how is it the best one yet, how?

nothing has improved they've added nothing relevant from where i've sat other than a few finishes which only exist after running at the goal for 3 touches. they've reduced the ability to play "good" football, you now have to dwell on the ball for as long as possible with each player if you intend to get up the pitch without 1st timing everything.

the spacial awareness of bots hasn't been improved, yet they find the need to reduce the efficiency of the first touch, bad game have you played any other games this year other than annual releases?

watch he's Al This this

Professional Contract
[Avatar]

vern231181 wrote:I'm curious as to why so many people are complaining about FIFA 14?

Do any of you actually play the game for 'REAL'. In other words, not sat on your sofa with a controller in your hand.

so you want to see sunday league football good
FIFA 14 is the closest virtual representation of the 'beautiful' game to date.
how is it? pro clubs since it 1st came out has been the closest virtual representation of the beautiful game, it didnt matter what edition of FIFA was listed.

Are those complaining prefer an 'Arcadey' game of football as opposed to a 'Simulation' as this is year it's far more of a simulation.
EA have never gotten close to a simulator, nothing about it is a simulator you wont see a single thing on FIFA resemble 1minute of real time football.

I know this game isn't flawless and there's numerous threads to confirm this.
then why are you defending it? the 2nd biggest gaming company on the planet, and the game isnt flawless, lol you are taking the * *

One of the biggest complaints especially on Next-gen is the 'Lobbed Through Ball' which to be fair can be exploited by some gamers but there is a solution to this 'flaw' just play with manual player selection and as soon as you anticipate the 'Lobbed Through Ball' coming (it is easy to spot) then start sprinting back with the manually selected defender.
ive not played next-gen, but ive said and it got deleted, manual fixes a lot of FIFA's issues, but the mode itself isnt supported at all, 99% of the player base are on full assisted and wont ever change.

People are too quick to point out it's faults but don't realise that with a bit of patience and skill, these so called 'issues' can be counteracted by more intelligent play.
yes it's easy, but that doesnt make the game good, it doesnt make it a simulator, it doesnt make it fun, it makes it flawed, and you sit here making a thread defending it.

this thread is surely a joke? why is it not locked?

watch he's Al This this

Professional Contract
[Avatar]

Baswaldo_lopesz wrote:
vern231181 wrote:I'm curious as to why so many people are complaining about FIFA 14?

Do any of you actually play the game for 'REAL'. In other words, not sat on your sofa with a controller in your hand.

Are those complaining prefer an 'Arcadey' game of football as opposed to a 'Simulation' as this is year it's far more of a simulation.

as a genuine skiller( genuine skiller not RS shaker) which to proves that the cream will always rise to the top, as they say.

dem genuine skillers, playign that non-arcadey style of football.

why is this thread nto locked daherlilly

watch he's Al This this

Waterboy

Calm_Down_Jeez wrote:Many disagree w/ you. SO MANY things are wrong w/ this game. Don't become a fifa apologist please.
VERN YOU PROB WORK FOR EA YOU ARE A WATERBOY CLEARLY YOU OPEN A NEW ACCOUNT TO POST SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT ONE OF THE WORST NORTH AMERICAN COMPANIES LOL 2 YEARS IN A ROLL.

http://news.futhead.com/posts/xaors-cave/26000-xaors-cave-lets-talk-balance-part-1 AND

http://news.futhead.com/posts/xaors-cave/26243-xaors-cave-lets-talk-balance-part-2

"t’s been over three weeks since the release of FIFA 14, and with the release of the second patch - which included numerous changes intended to improve balance - it's time to review just that. I can sum up my feelings on balance easily - FIFA 14 doesn't have a good balance, and it is seriously jeopardising my enjoyment of the game. In a two parter, I'm going to talk about balance in general, FIFA 14's balance, and what needs to be done to get us out of the rut we've been in for far too long.

For all of the substantial improvements EA have brought to FIFA this year, it simply hasn't summed to a better experience than what we had with FIFA 13. That isn't said to praise FIFA 13's balance - to the contrary, the balance has been poor since at least FIFA 09 - but to highlight my feelings that the quality of the balance right now is severely below poor. That sense of things contrasts greatly with that of an EA developer, Gilliard Lopes who tweeted the following prior to the second patch’s release:

“Balancing: the game is very well tuned already, but we are improving it even more based on feedback incl. headers and finesse shots”

Whether or not this represents the general feeling amongst EA developers - Gilliard's twitter page disclaims that his tweets express his opinions, not those of his employer - it's still very interesting. To me, the idea that FIFA 14 is 'very well tuned' is hard to swallow, and the patch, meant to improve it 'even more' hasn't made that much of a difference.

Before I get into the major issues with FIFA 14’s balance, there are a few things worth saying. Firstly, I play primarily online on Seasons, Co-Op Seasons, and in Clubs. What I feel about this game derives primarily from my experience of those three modes, and I respect that the game plays very differently in other environments - against friends locally, against the CPU and so on. Secondly, I’m sure some people’s opinions differ dramatically to mine - balance is a fairly subjective issue - but I have seen a lot more complaints about balance this year than usual, so hopefully I can go some way to explain that.

Finally, I’d like to ground this discussion by defining balance. Balance is variously defined by gamers, it has very different meanings for different genres of games, and there is no true definition to refer to. When I’m looking at FIFA 14’s balance, I’m looking at it from three broad perspectives - strategy, skill, and realism.

For me, strategic balance is really about three things: providing a variety of viable strategies, ensuring that no particular strategy is dominant, and hopefully crafting an experience where strategy is very much a game in itself - we should be heavily considering the way our opponent plays and attempting to outwit them with better strategy, not playing every game in a similar manner.

The skill balance is a totally different concept. It's about how much of the game is under user control - so we aren't passengers in the experience, and about ensuring that there is a good balance between risk and reward, as well as between difficulty and effectiveness. In a nutshell, achieving a good skill balance is all about ensuring that the game is "easy to play", but "hard to master".

Finally, the realism perspective is one which is crucial for a sports simulation. We are, presumably, all football fans and therefore we all have a fair bit of experience watching the game being played. When we play FIFA, we want to be noticing the very same phenomena, and it will always be difficult for us to accept things happening in the game which are blatantly unrealistic. Regardless of how well the balance may hold up in the first two respects, we play FIFA because we want a game which acts as an extension to the sport we love.

Now these three perspectives are distinct. A game can do well in one area but not in another. You could have a game which was well balanced strategically but in a way which had little to do with real football (the reverse isn’t so true - a truly realistic football simulation would have emergent strategic qualities). Similarly, you could have a very realistic simulation which wasn’t enjoyable to play because the player's level of control was minimal.

So that's how I'm looking at balance - and in my mind this definition is broad enough to explain all of the major issues with balance. So how does this all apply to FIFA 14? Well, for the remainder of this article I'm going to talk about strategic balance, leaving the skill and realism balance 'til part 2. I apologise to anyone who read the demo review I wrote a few weeks back: some of this will seem like repetition.

It is incredibly noticeable that, when you're playing online, most players have a very repetitive style of play and that furthermore, most players play the game in exactly the same way. FIFA 14's gameplay is balanced such that there is one general strategy which is both easier to pull off and more effective than any other. More or less, it can be summed up as: defend deep, press hard, attack fast.

In terms of attacking, it's all about the counter. Get the ball with your defenders or keeper, and fire the ball forwards to an attacker. If the pass is successful, you'll likely be in a fair bit of space with one or two attackers. From there, initiate a run via the player-run-trigger or a one-two, and try a throughball. If the throughball comes off, move towards goal. If you have more than one player goalside of the defence, pass across. If not, attempt a finesse shot.

That all sounds like an oversimplification, but it really isn't. That pretty accurately sums up a lot of the players online who do this for a large proportion of the game to great effect. It works for one simple reason - the two points in the attack which could go wrong don't go wrong nearly enough. The pass from the defence to attack is often guaranteed because there is almost always at least one attacker in so much space they won't be challenged for the ball. The throughball, or ball over the top, is not only "good enough" far too often, but is often inch perfect, beautifully rolling into the path of the attacker, not even causing them to break stride.

Two issues - passing accuracy and defensive AI - are culpable for the over-effectiveness of this strategy. Assisted passes, particularly airborne ones, are still far too accurate in FIFA, and everyone knows it. It's very hard, on this evidence, to remember that EA implemented Pro Passing in FIFA 11 to solve the very issues that are so prevalent four years later.

As for the defensive AI, it fails in its lackadaisical marking, it’s ability to cover, and it’s ability to play a decent offside trap. EA have improved the defensive AI this year, but it hasn't proven to be enough. I hope they’ll continue with it next year, and if they do, improving the AI of the actual defenders - the center backs and full backs - should be the focus. Deeper intelligence, allowing them to cope better with turnovers in possession, and greater cohesion, allowing them to work as a team to cover runs and to play an offside trap, is crucial.

In terms of defensive strategy, I said that it tends to revolve around defending deep and pressing hard, even if it does sound like a contradiction of sorts. Generally speaking, the telltale signs of this strategy are a defensive mentality and formation (like those with two defensive midfielders). With a deep, packed defence, you can rely on the defensive AI to the point where you can almost let it do the work for itself. That's where the pressing comes in - by constantly pressing the ball carrier with the midfielders, you can make it incredibly hard for your opponent to play, while not having to worry about the gaps you might be leaving behind. Simply run a player at the ball carrier at all times - you'll gain back possession in no time. Low risk - high reward.

The effectiveness of pressing is such that it becomes nearly impossible to play around and through the packed defence, and this is all about tackling mechanics. Like passing, FIFA's tackling mechanics have been a sorespot for a long time. They were justifiably complained about during the legacy defending period where players defended by holding two buttons and watching their players turn into homing missiles, and it is equally justifiable to complain about the mechanics in tactical defending with the overly automated contain function, and the flagrantly overpowered auto-tackles.

The major issue with auto-tackles is that they are far, far too accurate. Consider how often you actually see an auto-tackle miss, consider how often the auto-tackle causes a foul, consider how often an auto-tackle actually causes you to get beaten - practically never, right? That’s the issue in a nutshell. FIFA’s defenders auto-tackle at a sizable radius and with impossibly good reaction speeds. They will quite regularly snap the ball away from you as if they absolutely knew what you were about to do, and where the ball was about to go. What this leads to is a situation where tackling is almost all about proximity, and where people are hugely encouraged to run straight towards the ballcarrier without a great deal of thought.

Personally, even though we had a significant defensive revamp with FIFA 12 and Tactical Defending, I’d be hoping for another with FIFA 15. The tackling is one problem with defending which could probably be solved within the current paradigm, but there are many more issues in terms of how we control the defence that deserve a look in too (I will follow this comment up in future - been meaning to do so for ages).

The most important thing about the effectiveness of the attacking and defensive strategies (counterattacking & defending deep + pressing hard) is how well they complement each other. The very fact that you can attack so successfully with just two or three players, and that you can go from defensive to attack without needing to go through the midfield, means that attacking is no harder if you're defending with seven men than it would be otherwise. Best of all, the more your opponent pushes forwards to try and pin you back, the easier it becomes to counter them. In comparison to real life, in precisely the situation where one team would be dominating possession because the other was struggling to get it away, those defense-to-attack pinpoint passes make all the difference.

The sheer dominance of this way of playing makes for a game which simply isn’t that enjoyable to play and certainly isn’t that realistic. It’s incredibly tedious to play a game where you know exactly what your opponent is going to do, but one where you can’t actually do much to prevent it. A few times a match, any half decent player will be able to produce a golden chance if they construct every attack around two passes. It's a hit & hope approach where the hope can be replaced with confidence.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying everyone plays like this, nor that anyone plays like this 100% of the time - but it is an increasingly large number of people doing it for an increasingly large proportion of each match. When you think about it, that’s really sad, because FIFA's current balance reduces the hugely tactical game that is football to a shallow farce. It's sadder still that the dominant strategy is one that rarely produces good football. FIFA has been oriented around end-to-end counter and pressure since FIFA 09, and it's now surely time for a change.

It won't be easy. The strategic balance issues are underpinned by major gameplay mechanics like tackling, passing, and defensive AI, and so tweaks simply won't cut it. But that doesn't change the fact that strategic balance should be a top gameplay priority for EA going forward. Instead of making changes and hoping things fall into place, EA have got to start designing changes with the absolute intent of shifting the balance towards more thoughtful football - the first step towards this is recognising that there is a problem in the first place.
"
--------------------------------

I don't know what I was high on when I decided this would be a two-part series, it is now very much a three parter. In the first article, I spent some time defining balance on the basis of three different perspectives - strategy, skill, and realism - and spent the remaining words criticising the balance from the strategic point of view, concluding that FIFA’s strategic balance left it vulnerable to exploitation, and that it ultimately encouraged players to play an impatient, end-to-end, high pressure style. In this one, I'm going at it from a different perspective entirely, and looking at the importance of skill (or lack thereof) in FIFA 14.

Previously, I defined a concept of balance from a skill perspective. I wrote that achieving a good balance in this regard was about giving the user adequate control over events such that they feel responsible for the results, as well as ensuring that there is a good balance between both risk and reward as well as difficulty and effectiveness. At its essence, skill balance is about fairness, and about having a game which may be easy to play, but is still hard to master.

This type of balance is one required by pretty much all games - and games which fail to achieve it tend to be both unsatisfying and frustrating. Succeeding isn’t worth it if you don’t feel like your actions were the reason, and failure at the hands of injustice is both upsetting and anger inducing. Unfortunately, this is pretty much exactly the experience I have in FIFA’s multiplayer, and from what I see others write, I know I’m not the only one. As for the whys, it’s a pretty long list of things really, but I’ll pick on just three: aerial battles, assistance, and automation.

There have been fairly major complaints about aerial play, headers, crossing, and corners for a while now - and generally the complaint is simply that these ways of scoring are too easy and hence: “headers are overpowered”. This issue has come to a head (!) this year with headed goals being more prevalent than ever, so much so that EA attempted to reduce the effectiveness of heading with the second patch.

They were right too - far too many goals were being scored from headers - but the problems go far deeper than frequency. For me, the aerial battle mechanics are seriously problematic even if EA manage to tune the number of headers down to a realistic level, and that’s simply due to how little influence we, as the attacker or defender, have over the results of an aerial battle. There are so many factors that matter with headers that are simply out of our control - player attributes, the keeper, switching, randomised error - very little is left up to us.

It’s no surprise then that the general feeling after conceding a header is one of a short list: “It chose the wrong player”, “My player wasn’t locked into the path of the ball”, “My player didn’t jump”... you know the rest. Aerial play is a lottery - a lottery where you can push the odds one way or t’other but a lottery all the same - and that is never going to be satisfying in a competitive game. When games are won and lost on the basis of something like that, it degrades the experience immensely. It sounds almost like a whine, but it’s absolutely true: it’s just not fair.

The issue is that fixing this isn’t a matter of tuning how many headers go in. EA could nerf them further to the point where headed goals became extremely rare, but that would also serve to reduce the variety in goals still further. This is why I talk about balance from different perspectives - too many goals being scored from headers causes a strategic imbalance - but the skill imbalance remains regardless.

So that’s the problem - what about the solution? In my mind there are two major issues - the first is that the AI/CPU has far too big a part in what happens - we need far more consistency. The player switching needs to be better than it currently is at choosing the right player, and there needs to be a cast iron guarantee that the player it switches to is going to try and get to that ball such that you can head it. The second side of the issue is that we need to be able to actually dictate what happens to a far greater degree than right now.

I feel like I have a fairly solid understanding of FIFA’s mechanics in most areas - but when it comes to aerial battles I’m so often entirely befuddled by the outcomes in terms of who jumps and who wins - and I’m also very unsure as to how much control we have over the way our player positions himself/jostles for the header - when you think about it, we have very little time to actually make any kind of difference because the ball is in the air for such a short period. In that period we have to react to the auto-switch, potentially have to switch again, jostle for position and try and aim a header. It is kind of nuts when you consider that this has to be done in a second or so.

When I bring up issues in the articles I write, I usually try propose a reasonable solution. Here, though I can certainly name some of things which need to change, but I’m not sure I can think of a particularly good way of making us a more real part of the aerial battle. I know a lot of people - including myself at one time - pinned a lot of hopes on EA removing the limitation on aerial battles to one player per team, which is finally happening in the next-gen release, but I’m no longer so sure this will actually fix the problem. It will help - but will it make aerial play part of FIFA which is engaging, or fair? I have my doubts - but it is all the same a necessary step.

The one saving grace with aerial play is that it is only a relatively small fraction of football - and so long as headers aren’t too easy it will be something you’ll have to deal with every now and again, and not all the time. The same cannot be said for the other two topics I’m going to mention now - assistance and automation.

Together, these factors make for an experience where we are either forced to, or rewarded for, ‘ceding control to the CPU and to the AI. Taken to the extreme, FIFA 14 is a game where every pass, shot, cross, save, tackle and interception is dictated as much by a piece of AI as it is the user. It goes deeper still, when you consider that with contain, a large proportion of defensive movement is also no longer down to us. We may still retain some control over when our players decide to do things, but it’s little more than that sometimes.

Now don’t get me wrong, assistance and automation both have a place in FIFA, but it is practically undeniable that both go too far. I’ll be entirely honest and say without the freedom manual offers, I’m not sure I would bother playing anymore. With the next-generation looming, I have a further fear - will there be a large enough manual community to sustain the online?

Yet, I must accept that I am in a minority as a manual player. It would appear that most FIFA players don’t have any issue with assisted, nor with the level of automation in FIFA. It would appear that, for most people, they don’t want a game which is challenging, nor one which offers enough freedom to express themselves, nor one which particularly rewards ability. This is the view of FIFA players that many take, and it’s certainly the view of the media, and to an extent it’s must also be the view of EA.

It is though a pretty cynical view, and it’s one that perhaps optimistically, I do not share. Indeed, many casual gamers may never try manual, and may not have any issue with assisted, automated FIFA, but if they do put the time in to make a proper appraisal, I think it would be incredible just how many would forgo the comfort and ease of assisted. I have quite a bit of first hand experience with this as a manual evangelist - I have turned at least five of my ‘real-life’ friends into manual players - some of whom certainly don’t fit the ‘hardcore gamer’ archetype. I’m not saying that everyone who tries manual will fall in love with it - I’m not stupid enough to extrapolate from my anecdote to the entire world - but I would imagine for each 10 people that give manual a proper try, at least three will see how much it adds to FIFA and want to stick with it. Unfortunately, the game EA has created not only fails to encourage people to try manual, but also makes manual a lot harder to enjoy than it really should be. All the same, it is, and has been throughout this generation, one of the best features FIFA has.

It’s really rather simple - EA have to act on this soon. It is clear that that will not happen this year, but it should happen for the next. FIFA needs a full overhaul to assisted (and to semi-assisted) - an overhaul which addresses the numerous balance issues created by assisted (like lobbed through balls), and an overhaul which will offer quite a bit more control to the person on the pad. That’s step one, step two is to end the legacy of FIFA as a game which caters first and foremost to a single audience by delivering a football-lite experience.

In some senses, FIFA is a game which can be highly customised to one’s taste. Between the game-speed setting, the sliders, and the assistance settings, we can create a wide array of different experiences. Online, there is no such possibility to customise, and hence however well FIFA can play offline with everything set just right, the online is too often an embarrassingly shallow football experience.

There are two possibilities for how this can be resolved - EA can continue to try and satisfy everyone with the same game, or EA can bite the bullet and split their game up to satisfy an increasingly fractured community. One thing is for sure, whatever they’ve been trying to do for the last four of five years isn’t working. Can you make one game for such a wide audience? Maybe - but you probably have to start with a solid simulation. A decent analogy can be found in Gran Turismo and Forza, games which have highly realistic simulations of driving, but find reasonably wide appeal via their assists. They build a simulation, then worry about accessibility - with FIFA it is clearly the other way around.

Personally, I think the answer is obvious, EA should create a number of gameplay variants that can be used online. Start with two - normal, and hardcore - and work from there. On hardcore, slow the gamespeed, lengthen the matches, restrict the assistance, etc. It's very much a case of "build it and people will come" - so long as the choice is visible, and so long as it is available across all major modes. FIFA is one of the most popular video games in the world - it should be easy to sustain such a split.

That just leaves automation. I listed earlier a variety of areas in this game which are controlled primarily by the CPU. Passing, shooting and crossing mechanics are more to do with assistance, but the level of automation with tackling, interceptions, and with contain is another matter entirely. To an extent, this is one of the major factors I talked about in the previous article about strategic balance, in essence saying that, due in part to the overly automated and ridiculously accurate tackling, FIFA’s entire defensive game was rigged towards those who spend a good deal of their time sprinting at the ballcarrier.

In defence, automation really is the name of the game. As FIFA players, you are rewarded not for really learning how to defend but for learning how to best exploit the automation you are given. By sprinting in, you can take advantage of how quickly your defender will lock onto any loose ball, and how easily he will make perfect tackles regardless of the attacker’s movement, but on the other hand by using contain you can make yourself almost unsurpassable as your defender will mirror the attacker with no perceptible delay. All the skill with defending can be summed up as knowing when to hold the right trigger, when when to hold the contain button.

I feel, ultimately, that one issue dominates all the others when it comes to automation - it’s reaction speed. This means that however well you try to jockey without using contain, and however well you try to time your manual tackles, you are always going to be at a massive disadvantage because, believe it or not, there is a delay of a few tenths of the second when you react to something, and you aren’t always going to press manual tackle at the perfect moment.

The basic solution is to build a delay into the AI’s decisions. Right now, they seem to react instantaneously to most events. To take one example of how it ought to be, let’s consider one of the most regular points at which the AI has to react to something in the game - when locking into the path of the ball. From what I can tell, the AI seems to do this immediately - as soon as the ball is kicked they seem to know exactly where it is going to go and exactly what direction they need to move to intercept it. Ideally, they should always have a picture of the world which is slightly behind - it should take a few tenths every time the ball changes direction for them to realise where it is going.

You can get much deeper into this, and into the realm of anticipation, such that in some situations would be reacted to by players far faster than others, but in general this is what we need to see happen. More broadly, I’m not against automation, but I am entirely against automation in areas which I should be able to control just fine on my own. I am also entirely against any automation which is consistently perfect.

Appraising FIFA’s balance in terms of skill and control is easy - it’s practically non existent, and frankly I struggle to think of a game which gets it so wrong. In some cases, this is due to gameplay elements which are incredibly random - aerial play, deflections, rebounds, goalkeeper parries, etc., and in some cases it is due to mechanics which flat out reward users allowing the AI to do the work, like assistance and contain. Together, these make for a game which isn’t especially satisfying to win, but is especially frustrating to lose, a game which doesn’t particularly reward skill so much as it rewards a willingness to exploit, and a game which most certainly lives by the maxim of “Easy to Play” but in no way lives up to that of “Hard to Master”.

In the final part (well, it should be the final part), I want to talk a bit about realism, but mostly I want to tie things together and draw some conclusions. Hopefully will have that out in a fortnight or so. Thanks for reading - and if you have anything to add, or anything to criticise, please don't hesitate to comment.

Last pick at the park

Stop SHOUTING! I'm off to play FIFA 14 on the Xbox One.

Waterboy

Well don't you all think that if lobbed through ball is rendered less effective, it would make fifa 14 even better? It's a win-win for all so I don't get why are you guys so against people who are complaining on the forums about lobbed balls. Sure, some of us may be whining, but come on, if lobbed balls are fixed, we'll get less spammers and more varied play!

Think about this for a second, if lobbed balls are fixed, you'll face so much more than just lob spammers. Even when you face someone that don't continuously lob spam, most of the goals that are scored results from lobbed balls. That isn't representative of real life football and neither is it the most entertaining thing to see in the world. I'd rather see someone beat 3 defenders and blast the ball into my net than just lob it and score.

For those who keep saying people should stop complaining about lobbed balls, I'd like to know if you think making lobbed balls less effective would be better for balancing gameplay. If no, please explain why? And I ask this in a sincere tone. Let's make this a nice and good discussion. Don't name-call people and label others as noobs and all.

Waterboy

Nonsense, you must be about 9 yrs old if you think that resembles real football. With the obvious glitches and "scenarios" built into the game to create chances (basically cos gamers cant really make any of their own without them),if i were a top football pro I'd refuse to let them put my image in the game and you know what a bunch of money grabbing mercenaries pro footballers are, thats how bad this game is, BUT it is the 2nd(or3rd) best version of FIFA ever

Waterboy

One of the biggest complaints especially on Next-gen is the 'Lobbed Through Ball' which to be fair can be exploited by some gamers but there is a solution to this 'flaw' just play with manual player selection and as soon as you anticipate the 'Lobbed Through Ball' coming (it is easy to spot) then start sprinting back with the manually selected defender.

People are too quick to point out it's faults but don't realise that with a bit of patience and skill, these so called 'issues' can be counteracted by more intelligent play.

The ONLY major issue I have with FIFA this year and it appears to be teething problems on the NExt-gen consoles is the fact that I'm yet to play a game in any Online game mode as the matchmaking server is broken!

Hopefully by now you have played the on-line multiplayer which means this reply and so is your last post (quoted above) irrelevant.

I believe most of the problems start to arise once you start playing on-line. After playing a few season of Career Mode under Legendary and World-Class difficulties (I had to tone down the difficulty because Legendary has become much more difficult than previous versions' Legendary) I decided to play on-line.

Much like yourself I was very happy with FIFA 14 and it's advancements like lobbed-through-ball being not as effective as FIFA 13's by making the defence more efficient. I know that this is one part of the game that EA placed a lot of efforts in to fixing, and I thought they did. Yes, lobbed-through-balls has also had changes, especially diagonally lobbed-through-ball but against the computer it was defend-able and I don't get to score too often from it either.

On-line however is a different story. If you're facing Real Madrid all your opponent needs to do is kick that ball up and forward get Ronaldo to chase it and goal! Some may disagree but FIFA 13 was actually better. What you said about manually choosing your defender and anticipating the pass was a perfect defensive technique against players who plays kick and chase in 13 but this time around it's much different. This only adds a bit more spice to playing on-line I guess. Now if EA can only fix the damn servers but that's for a different forum.

And I now play FIFA 14 in PS4 whether or not that makes a difference to FIFA 14 in PS3, I don't know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/12/2013 03:29:19

Waterboy

This is far from the best FIFA to date. The best FIFA that has been out where you can play a realistic game of football would have to be FIFA 12.
Do not try and say this is a simulation.. it's awful, boring and just gets you frustrated. I have never been so dissapointed with a game before! You'd have to not have played the game to think it was good.
The amount of faults in game is stupid and player intelligence is non existent and players make no good runs.
Crossing is ridiculous and heading is awful. Are you sure you are playing the same game as everyone else? They ruined the game after the update at the start that destroyed finessing entirely.
This game is no fun and the amount of times I have been to an advisor with a complaint about parts in the game is getting stupid now. It's an unfinished product and plays more like a Beta. Pace is still quite dominant but strength can give ridiculous outcomes such as defenders losing the ball straight away after making a tackle due to opponent running at an angle.. now this is far from realistic and unbelievable how it hit the shelves, it's an unfinished train wreck. I literally can't say anything good about this game or wouldn't recommend it to anyone if they asked.

Professional Contract
[Avatar]

Muffled wrote:Well don't you all think that if lobbed through ball is rendered less effective, it would make fifa 14 even better?

No I don't, how would anyone counter high pressure/contain tactics? A tactic I suspect most moaners use.

I don't get lobbed thru ball used against me anywhere near as much as most are crying about. And I will categorically state now I will use it if high pressure is used against me. In that scenario it is flawless but if people don't rely on contain and defend themselves, it is no more useful than any other pass.

I do come across the odd prawn that ends the game with 50% passes but they don't tend to be very good to be honest. I do honestly think I play a different game to you whiners......or a different style.

Avoided Relegation
[Avatar]

The ONLY major issue I have with FIFA this year and it appears to be teething problems on the NExt-gen consoles is the fact that I'm yet to play a game in any Online game mode as the matchmaking server is broken!

I almost agree with you, but in my opinio fifa 14 is about the samething that was fifa 13. Sometimes I cant tell the difference between both. Im talking about CG. I had opportunity to play NG and didnt like at all the stupid pace that EA decided to give. And let's be honest it's good to understand that this is a GAME not real life. Games should enjoy people. The lasts moments playing fifa 13 werent enjoyable and I can predict the same is gonna happen with FIFA 14. The game is away too imperfect to be so competitive, but right now Im still winning like a boss so I shouldnt be complaining.

Professional Contract
[Avatar]

Might be right, this is the best FIFA to date.

Graphics are improved, next gen menus are great, everything works for the most part...still some problems with UT market search and squad file matching issues. But, a few things still destroy this game.

EA servers are pathetic.

98% of goals on assisted controls come from 3 scenarios: 1. Auto header from corner or cross, LB+Y ball 3. Rebound.

We are really close do a decently competitive footy game, but EA refuse to allow more user input and error into the game.

LMAO about the right stick wiggler comment above.
FIFA 14 & World Cup  > General Discussion
Go to: